The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
WAVES new $1800 reverb rip-off
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Maniac

WAVES new $1800 reverb rip-off

It's bad enough that I just spent a small fortune on WAVES IR-1 (stereo reverb) and WAVES now just released IR-360 (surround reverb).

But then I checked out the price of IR-360. $1800 HTDM.

Unbelievable! I guess I am probably out of luck for an upgrade...
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

omg, those prices are insane,

someone really needs to convince voxengo to start making mac stuff.
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Addict

Wow, that is expensive.

Im very glad I got myself out of the PT's moneypit. But Im sure there will be plenty of takers for Waves overpriced verb.
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

my goodness. such a price.
i only paid 49 bucks for multitrack software that does 48 tracks,
and has reverb built in with lots of other effects like flanging and chorusing. and midi notation,editing and printing.
come over to the dark side.
Old 19th October 2004
Here for the gear

I'm not sure I understand how the price is a rip-off. Did you think you were getting the Surround version when you bought the regular IR and you now realize you were bamboozled? Or is it that there isn't an upgrade available from stereo to surround? $1800 isn't cheap, but Waves makes good products and quality costs.
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

Well it's a rip off if it comes with the same IR's as the IR-1........But if there are a whole lot of surround impulses it could be a different story.
Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

as an alternative for pc users with vst support try SIR reverb plug in.
it uses impuses. its free.
you might find noisevault.com interesting. and i'm sure there are many other low cost / free vst reverbs in the works.
Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

i just checked noisevault. this is amazing. i dont know how good these are but apparently there are impulse models for some classic and newer mic pre's and effects units. this is starting to get interesting.
Old 20th October 2004
Gear Nut

if you read the paper on the WAVES..all the impulses were already recorded in surround. you can even use cmdline utils to export the invidual chans to use in pristine space or SIR...so them charging much more $$$$ for the same product except 4+ ins/outs instead of 2 is pretty absurd...but then i'd never buy WAVES crap to begin with
Old 23rd October 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by carmen
if you read the paper on the WAVES..all the impulses were already recorded in surround. you can even use cmdline utils to export the invidual chans to use in pristine space or SIR...
where did you read this? I tried opening the IR1 IR's and nothing will touch them...
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Do yourself a favor, and get the SpinAudio M2 reverb, and stop wating money on the highly oveerated Waves plug-ins.
They are among the worst sounding plug-ins IMO.
Old 23rd October 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman
Do yourself a favor, and get the SpinAudio M2 reverb, and stop wating money on the highly oveerated Waves plug-ins.
I agree Waves is overpriced and overrated, but I don't think a $145 synthetic VST reverb is what I'm looking for either...the reverbs we are talking about here are convolution reverbs for Pro Tools.
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Hey guys, hold your breath.

Sure there is a lot of free or cheaper software out there that works somehow.
And for sure the Waves stuff is overpriced until the plug is being bundled...but to say Waves plug-ins are all crap is plain BS. If you are making your own music on your own computer, well then fine, go ahead and do what you want. But if you want to charge clients or have other people come into your studio and use your system, you better have a couple of professional tools. And if you still think Waves plus sound all crap then you most probably did not spend a lot of time using them on recordings.

Please stop being so general und uncorrect. Please spare us here at gearslutz from the "you can have it all for free..." discussion. Of course you can but it does not make sense for everybody.
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by tobymusic

And if you still think Waves plus sound all crap then you most probably did not spend a lot of time using them on recordings.
Your right. i don't. Anymore.

They are, IMO, not worth paying anythign for, when there are way better alternative sout there, for less money.
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

get a poco
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by morpheus
where did you read this? I tried opening the IR1 IR's and nothing will touch them...
some pdf, might have even been on wave's site..with diagrams of how the surround mic's were setup, etc..

ftp://ftp.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca/TSP/AFsp/AFsp-v8r0.tar.gz

CopyAudio.exe -D float32 -P float32,44,44100,native,2,1/4096 -cA A -cB B xcg.wir SIR.wav or something like that was how i exported them (ir-1 imulses). youll have to check the usage flags and vary slightly depending on the file since mono, stereo, and suround files were included with ir1...
Old 7th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by carmen
some pdf, might have even been on wave's site..with diagrams of how the surround mic's were setup, etc..

ftp://ftp.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca/TSP/AFsp/AFsp-v8r0.tar.gz

CopyAudio.exe -D float32 -P float32,44,44100,native,2,1/4096 -cA A -cB B xcg.wir SIR.wav or something like that was how i exported them (ir-1 imulses). youll have to check the usage flags and vary slightly depending on the file since mono, stereo, and suround files were included with ir1...
Awesome..thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search