The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
Hey

Could someone clarify for me pls. Does the FireWire work with mac OS X Mojave and Catalina

Considering buying one again but don’t want to be stuck with a lemon

Thanks
Mojave yes, works like a charm. Can't confirm if it works with Catalina, haven't tried it yet.

Anyhow buy it, you won't regret mate.
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb5191 View Post
I'm working on the same thing but I'm doing mods on the analog section first while I have access. I recapped the psu so maybe this will fix it. I'll let you know what happens when I reinstall my firewire board. I'm also replacing a few of the caps on the firewire board as well. It sounds like most of the hardware issues people had were either related to the supply or the firewire board itseld. Im not sure if I have the skills and patience to isolate a faulty chip on the firewire board.
It's great! Don't forget to share your results. Thanks.
Here for the gear

Hello again everyone. I still couldn't repair my FireWire card. Most likely I will have to buy a new one. Has anyone already bought it? How much does it cost and where can I buy it? And the second question. Has anyone tested the R16 MIDI out connector without using a FireWire cable? It seems to me that the MIDI output is working and I could control the transport panel and MIDI section until I fix the FireWire card.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehaselena View Post
It's great! Don't forget to share your results. Thanks.
Analog section is sounding great but the firewire is still not working after re-capping the psu and some of the firewire board. My issues appear to be related to some of the digital routing buttons near the faders. When they are engaged, I get weird noise/oscillaion and the indicator lights flicker. There's some other chips on the fader master board which could be suspect as well. At this point i need to decide if I buy another firewire board and possibly the fader master board or just run all analog for now. Probably the latter. I'll look deeper into it once I take care of more pressing needs. It would definitely be nice to have the firewire capabilites for recording to multitrack at live sound gigs. In the studio, I have better conversion so I just use the Zed in its analog glory in that application.
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

EXTERNAL EFFECTS ROUTING AND PRINTING

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this has been answered before but I couldn't see the exact answer over the 207 pages and don't really have the time to go thru the whole thread.

I have four external effects units with the (mono) inputs of the effects units plugged into Aux1, Aux2, Aux3 & Aux4 and the (Stereo) outputs plugged into ST1, ST2, ST3 & ST4 and can hear the external effects on each individual aux knob per channel on both external Synths & Drum Machines and Softsynths routed back to the R16.

Can you please tell me which button per channel I need pressed to print the audio with external effects back to an audio channel within Ableton, can I still do this post EQ? and multiple channels at once?

Also I have an Overstayer VCA Compressor that I want to put on the master bus and sum everything back to a stereo channel within Ableton, how/where would I put this in there chain?

My monitors are connected to Control room monitor jack sockets (CRM L & CRM R) with nothing else connected to the master output section, can't use the master volume fader etc.
Lives for gear
I think you just need the master switch in the up position and record the mix back to the DAW on inputs 17-18. Oh and route the ST1234 to LR The stereo monitor output in your DAW needs to be set to 17-18.

I think. lol
Lives for gear
For your master bus just use a couple of insert cables.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
I think you just need the master switch in the up position and record the mix back to the DAW on inputs 17-18. Oh and route the ST1234 to LR The stereo monitor output in your DAW needs to be set to 17-18.

I think. lol
Thanks for the reply, any chance you can explain in more details please, same about the master bus compressor.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeLane View Post
Thanks for the reply, any chance you can explain in more details please, same about the master bus compressor.

So the little grey button "Master" needs to be up. Set up a track in your DAW with 17-18 as the inputs and print your mix. The insert cables will be a TRS jack that you insert into the mix buss inserts on the other end it has two mono jacks for the in and out of your unit. You could get a patchy and terminate all your stuff to it including all the inserts then you can easily patch in wherever you want. The manual has all the detail.
Old 8th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello,

I just bought this piece of equipment to have the perfect spot between analog and digital. However, I just bought an new Mac Book pro to be okay with multitrack recording ... but it is with the OS Catalina ... and the mixer is not recognized by the driver (the computer sees it...but drivers don't)

Does anyone have managed to find a solution with Catalina to make it work ?

Is it possible to use fully the table without the firewire driver with a digital sound card (RME Digiface or equivalent via ADAT ports and midi) ?
Are the ADAT out post EQ ?

I am pretty frustated with my purchase as I didn't know for those drivers issues ..

Do you have other solutions to use fully the table ?

Thanks a lot
Old 8th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujully View Post
Hello,

I just bought this piece of equipment to have the perfect spot between analog and digital. However, I just bought an new Mac Book pro to be okay with multitrack recording ... but it is with the OS Catalina ... and the mixer is not recognized by the driver (the computer sees it...but drivers don't)

Does anyone have managed to find a solution with Catalina to make it work ?

Is it possible to use fully the table without the firewire driver with a digital sound card (RME Digiface or equivalent via ADAT ports and midi) ?
Are the ADAT out post EQ ?

I am pretty frustated with my purchase as I didn't know for those drivers issues ..

Do you have other solutions to use fully the table ?

Thanks a lot
You could just revert your mac book to 10.13 or make a partition and install it on there so you can boot into either.
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My Windows 7 PC died, so I have a new PC running Windows 10.

Big mistake! My Zed R16 now doesn't work, even with the legacy Firewire driver, and I've traced the problem down to the Microsoft issue mentioned earlier in this thread (my PC eventually hangs, but if I open Reaper I get the endless cycling of the sample rate first). So I suspect the hang is the driver issue.

As far as I can tell, the only way forward is to somehow get hold of Windows 10 1809 and stop updates. Is that correct?
Old 14th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hang on! From another gearslutz thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanlib View Post
I spent a lot of time on this awhile back and found a 3rd party solution.

Microsoft started dynamically changing sample rates on default audio I/O devices in the Win10 audio subsystem sometime in 2018. That might have worked for some desktop audio purposes and devices, but it absolutely wreaks havoc with this unit. Once it gets stuck in the flashing LED loop, you're hosed until the next reboot - but it doesn't take long for something to request audio and start it all over. So this primarily affects those of us who use 1800-series or newer Windows 10, who also use it for system audio.

I landed on a solution that works in Windows 10 1909 (I don't have the May update yet) without messing with drivers or MixControl.

Install an always-present software audio device from VB Audio like Voicemeeter, Potato, or Banana and set that as the default Windows audio device for everything. Nowhere in the audio control panel can Saffire be selected as default. Playback, recording, comms, nothing. Once that's all set, Windows will have no reason to toggle sample rates on the Saffire.

To get your system audio routed correctly, go to the VB Audio software and route the first/only audio output to the Saffire or wherever else you want it. This should bring your Windows sounds, Web browser audio, etc. to the device you selected. You may want to play with buffer sizes here if you are using voice comms software that has echo cancellation, and you may also need to turn off ducking in Windows and/or your comms software.

Use Saffire ASIO as usual with your DAW and it will work fine alongside your system audio.

For those of us who don't leave the Saffire powered on all the time, anytime you power on your Saffire and want Windows audio, all you have to do is go into the VB Audio software and 'restart audio engine' to bring audio online.

Hope that helps somebody else.
Outstanding!!!!! This works like a charm! I just confirmed that my Zed R16 works with both inputs and outputs in Reaper. Thank you, thank you, thank you djdanlib!!!!
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
To be clear - use the legacy firewire driver, and obviously swap Saffire -> Zed R16 software.

I'm going to try the LiquidMix next.
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Does anyone know if the R16's with broken firewire still retain their ADAT capabilities?

I'm just looking to upgrade my two ADAT devices that I use to get additional 16 inputs into my MOTU 828mkIII. I see R16's with broken firewire crop up for sale quite often, and I hear the pre's are good. I also like the idea of it giving me access to EQ and inserts whilst tracking, but am not interested in any mixing beyond ITB for now, so it'd just be a neat way to get an extra 16 tracks into my DAW alongside the external pre's I currently use into the line in's on my MOTU.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Decay View Post
Does anyone know if the R16's with broken firewire still retain their ADAT capabilities?

I'm just looking to upgrade my two ADAT devices that I use to get additional 16 inputs into my MOTU 828mkIII. I see R16's with broken firewire crop up for sale quite often, and I hear the pre's are good. I also like the idea of it giving me access to EQ and inserts whilst tracking, but am not interested in any mixing beyond ITB for now, so it'd just be a neat way to get an extra 16 tracks into my DAW alongside the external pre's I currently use into the line in's on my MOTU.

Thanks
I think sending ADAT to another device would be fine but receiving it would not work because you can't configure the clock source without FW.
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Dante Setup

Hi there,

Did anyone tried connecting ZED R 16 to Dante Network?

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

From what I understand this 2 computer setup can run ZED R 16 on new OS, all we need is a computer running OS which support driver for ZED and connect it to computer with latest OS over ethernet with DANTE Via network app.

If that works ok and no latency than it's great future proof solution.

Looks like I might dust off my old mac mini and get it back into business.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you were to use the ZED with Dante from another older OS and route to your more recent OS over ethernet, at that point it just becomes a regular mixing console with audio over ethernet. You don't get to take advantage of the host routing features that ZED supports over firewire. And it's limited to 16 channels (8 in / 8 out, perhaps?), so definitely no ADAT and possibly no 9-16 analog. I got excited for a second.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it supports 32x32 from a single interface, but 16x16 to any one application. So it's not looking so bad, in fact. This might be an interesting option.
I haven't dig dipper into it yet. There is 30 days free trial for both apps Dante Via and Dante Virtual Soundcard. I'll check it out sometime this week.
If it's sub 10ms latency as they advertise then indeed it can be setup to consider in the future instead of doing direct out mod on ZED and buying new converters.

Update
Finally had some time to play with Zed over Dante.
16x16 I/O over Dante via works OK and latency is not an issue. Though I couldn't get Dante app to stream more than 16 channels of zed.

Cheers
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Update: ZEDR-16 Issues

Finally got my board into the local authorized repair facility....

First pass was to swap out the internal Firewire interface.
Second pass uncovered that the FW400/800 connector was all mashed inside the port. Bad handling or setup, probably my fault. The port and connection was fixed.

Unit was 'visible' but not seen by the A&H app or DAW, and was not recording.

Additional point of failure analysis and troubleshooting continued. It was finally determined that the main issue was a failing power supply unit. The power supply had enough juice to light up the board, but had intermittent power sags and drops that made all signal paths unstable (and unusable).

PS was ordered and fixed, and board works as it should. Tested it out on some vintage computing hardware - Windows XP, Windows 7 and worked like a charm.

Separate issue has emerged when I got it back home.

It appears that one of the recent Microsoft OS updates for Win10Pro x64 changed the sound capabilities in the Windows OS. This has caused the A&H ZEDR-16 to not be usable as a sound card. Works fine recording whatever is physically plugged into the A&H, but its functions to use the board as an output for Windows and DAW (Samplitude) is now broken. The device is seen properly in applications and Hardware profiles, but there's no sound making its way to the A&H as an output device from the computer.

There's a separate thread on this forum about the issue, which also shows a strange behavior when selecting different sample rates. When changing sample rates in DAW or via A&H control panel, it continuously cycles through the list of sample rates and throws some major 'pops' through the monitors attached to the A&H. A&H has confirmed through their own testing that the issues is Microsoft, and not A&H drivers or ZED BIOS-related. So far, not a lot of info or movement towards a fix from Microsoft, so we're back to limited functionality, but that doesn't appear to be an A&H issue.

Incidentally, I'm using the StarTech external FW to TB3 device as an outboard FW to TB3 interface, and it works flawlessly. Part# TB31PCIEX16. You can buy the enclosure and StarTech FW card as a combo package, which I highly recommend. For those folks who are Windows-based and moved to Thunderbolt 3, this is a slick solution that will allow you to use all of your legacy FW outboard gear.

Above all, I am STOKED to have the A&H ZEDR-16 back in my studio lineup.

This is an amazing board to build a small, high quality studio around: great Pre-amps, exceptional EQs and a TON of routing and setup options for working in a hybrid setup (ITB/OOTB + Analog/Digital).

Cost of repairs: $987

Thanks for all of the support on this forum. You guys rock.
ZT
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoTragedy View Post
Finally got my board into the local authorized repair facility....

First pass was to swap out the internal Firewire interface.
Second pass uncovered that the FW400/800 connector was all mashed inside the port. Bad handling or setup, probably my fault. The port and connection was fixed.

Unit was 'visible' but not seen by the A&H app or DAW, and was not recording.

Additional point of failure analysis and troubleshooting continued. It was finally determined that the main issue was a failing power supply unit. The power supply had enough juice to light up the board, but had intermittent power sags and drops that made all signal paths unstable (and unusable).

PS was ordered and fixed, and board works as it should. Tested it out on some vintage computing hardware - Windows XP, Windows 7 and worked like a charm.

Separate issue has emerged when I got it back home.

It appears that one of the recent Microsoft OS updates for Win10Pro x64 changed the sound capabilities in the Windows OS. This has caused the A&H ZEDR-16 to not be usable as a sound card. Works fine recording whatever is physically plugged into the A&H, but its functions to use the board as an output for Windows and DAW (Samplitude) is now broken. The device is seen properly in applications and Hardware profiles, but there's no sound making its way to the A&H as an output device from the computer.

There's a separate thread on this forum about the issue, which also shows a strange behavior when selecting different sample rates. When changing sample rates in DAW or via A&H control panel, it continuously cycles through the list of sample rates and throws some major 'pops' through the monitors attached to the A&H. A&H has confirmed through their own testing that the issues is Microsoft, and not A&H drivers or ZED BIOS-related. So far, not a lot of info or movement towards a fix from Microsoft, so we're back to limited functionality, but that doesn't appear to be an A&H issue.

Incidentally, I'm using the StarTech external FW to TB3 device as an outboard FW to TB3 interface, and it works flawlessly. Part# TB31PCIEX16. You can buy the enclosure and StarTech FW card as a combo package, which I highly recommend. For those folks who are Windows-based and moved to Thunderbolt 3, this is a slick solution that will allow you to use all of your legacy FW outboard gear.

Above all, I am STOKED to have the A&H ZEDR-16 back in my studio lineup.

This is an amazing board to build a small, high quality studio around: great Pre-amps, exceptional EQs and a TON of routing and setup options for working in a hybrid setup (ITB/OOTB + Analog/Digital).

Cost of repairs: $987

Thanks for all of the support on this forum. You guys rock.
ZT
Wow. That's quite the bill but I'm glad you got your issues sorted out. I work on these for a lot less.
Old 16th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
@ rjb5191 please can you post what bypass caps you`ve used and where + what caps you replaced with what on the channels. would be so great. thxxx
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
I replace all electrolytics. Low impedance, high endurance works for the power supply bypasses. Signal coupling cap values can be increased reasonably and bypassed with suitably sized film caps.
Old 22nd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Additionally, this might work for some of you:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-3141824ff49f

Basically, I discovered that using the 4.1.0 driver works on windows without the sample rate cycling.

Happy holidays,

Benji

Last edited by YourMusic.Pro; 4 weeks ago at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey guys! Merry christmas!
I have the opportunity to get a zed r16 at a fair price. I had this mixer at my home studio years ago and i love it, but i am affraid about the driver update in the future. I am runing Os Mojave and i read that the last update was for high sierra. Anybody wrote to A&H asking for this concern?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgass View Post
Hey guys! Merry christmas!
I have the opportunity to get a zed r16 at a fair price. I had this mixer at my home studio years ago and i love it, but i am affraid about the driver update in the future. I am runing Os Mojave and i read that the last update was for high sierra. Anybody wrote to A&H asking for this concern?
Also...if it wont work in yhe future because of stipping driver support, will it still work as an ADAT slave with another device syncing to the computer?
A&H driver for ZedR16 runs on Mojave as well.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMusic.Pro View Post
Additionally, this might work for some of you:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-3141824ff49f

Basically, I discovered that using the 4.1.0 driver works on windows without the sample rate cycling.

Happy holidays,

Benji
Benji, this is incredible! Thanks! Can't believe I didn't try it!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drutort View Post
I went and ordered all the caps needed to replace on the ZED R16 PSU.

Here are the digi-key and MFG part numbers. Note that I went extreme on the voltage vs the original, this is also due to the sizes! it was difficult in some area's but I managed to get them all soldered back on. All with well known brands!

pics below are of it now! so you can see before and after! (check previous thread for original China caps) also i'm attaching excel with updated part numbers!

I first did a power test, plugged it in, everything seemed fine, put the cover on, and connected headphones and mic, all the lights are back and bright! then went and connected it to the PC, the PC recognized the ZED! everything is working again!

So in my case it was the PSU, and my firewire board was fine

Code:
Original					Replaced with below			
QTY	 uF	Voltage	Company		uF	Voltage	Digi-Key #	MFG #
5	470	25	Samxon		470	50	P15378CT-ND	EEU-FR1H471B
1	330	10	Jamicon		330	50	493-6975-ND	UHW1H331MPD
2	120	63	Samxon		120	63	P15404-ND	EEU-FR1J121
2	100	25	Suscon		100	50	P14454-ND	EEU-FR1H101
2	68	400	Aishi		68	400	493-5879-ND	UCS2G680MHD
2	47	63	Jamicon		47	100	P10773-ND	EEU-FC2A47
1	47	50	Jamicon		47	100	P10773-ND	EEU-FC2A47
1	10	50	Suscon		10	100	493-11505-1-ND	UPW2A100MED1TD
1	1	63	Aisi		1	100	493-11368-1-ND	UPW2A010MDD1TD
I uploaded the PCB back, I did not like the solder whatever the Chinese used, it required pretty high temp to desolder them and also it was quite brittle. Some of the traces came undone at the holes, so I ended up taking some of the leads from the capacitors that I trimmed and reinforced the traces from a different component, as can be seen.
My board just died today and does not turn on at all...will replace all the caps as I pre-ordererd them all anticipating this happening due to signal loss and noisy switches etc
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I loved my ZED-R16. It was an awesome sounding board and I loved the hybrid workflow for recording and mixing. Pre's were warm and the EQs are really really great. I had some scratchy faders and did some recapping, but long term the firewire connection became obsolete. Seems like these companies building these hybrid mixers should use PCIe connections similar to RME hammerfall with RME type drivers. These audio companies are at the mercy of computer technology companies who can change connection types and protocols however and whenever they like. Using something more universal like PCIe would better stand the test of time. Just my humble opinion. Would be cool to see RME partner with a company like Allen and Heath to create such a hybrid board with super stable drivers and more foundational connectivity.
πŸ“ Reply