The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Macbook Pro; to buy or not to buy.
Old 1st June 2008
Here for the gear

Macbook Pro; to buy or not to buy.

Alright so I've been considering a MBP for a long time now. It looks perfect but I've read so many bad things about it, like the faulty logic boards and/ or video cards, unreliable screens with dead pixels, processor whine, overheating, and a lot more issues. I wanna know if this machine is a safe buy, I mean, I don't want to spend $2000 to sit in the Genious Bar frustrated, or to be with Apple all day long begging for a replace or something.

So what do you think, is this a hit or a miss?
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

The MBP is a probaby the best stock laptop for audio work there is. As far as your worries, if you treat the machine the way you are supposed too and somthing goes wrong with it, Apple will replace it. They have amazing customer service. However, I would not buy one right now. The new updated version of the MBP is coming out in June. They are changing its looks ang upgrading its components. Probably a 2.8 ghz processor, better video card, and a larger HD will come standard. So I would wait a month.
Old 2nd June 2008
Gear Maniac

I haven't had any problems with it, apart from the overheating. I tend to shut it down every few hours to help with this. But it is a bit of a pain.
Old 2nd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuy551 View Post
As far as your worries, if you treat the machine the way you are supposed too and somthing goes wrong with it, Apple will replace it.
Only after the machine fails the third repair attempt... It's kinda like trying to collect on an insurance claim. Yes, customer service is polite and repair turnaround is wicked fast, but Apple will not give out replacement machines unless required by policy. Read the fine print...

Been there done that. stike
Old 2nd June 2008
I've got four Macbook Pro's going strong here at my home, from 2.1 to 2.6Ghz.
Old 2nd June 2008
rlg
Gear Maniac

MBP has been rock solid for me as a DAW. I upgraded the RAM and internal hard drive myself. It can get warm, but I haven't found it to be a problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search