The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is Waves GTR3 The Best Guitar Amp?
Old 29th May 2008
Gear Nut

Is Waves GTR3 The Best Guitar Amp?

If not what is the best?

I heard Guitar Rig 3 was kinda fake sounding and that Amplitube 2 was good, but not on the same level as GTR 3.
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

you will hear lots of different opinions, including mine heh

Gtr 3 is not the best imo, but is decent, I think they all kinda offer some good stuff for certain applications. I found Gt3 to not be that realistic either for some stuff, and still kept Amplitube 2. The new Revalver looks to be pretty sweet, though My Fractal audio with Custom Impulse responces has taken the cake over all of these plugs.

So I vote for fractal audio Axe FX with Custom Ir's as the best for direct recording (though its not a plug in....... yet)
Old 29th May 2008
Gear Nut

I didnt care for GTR3 at all. I think Guitar Rig is loads better sounding and much more usable. I use it alot. I think the new Revalver sounds even better than Guitar Rig. But none of them come close to my /33 amp with a plain old sm57 on it.
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
you will hear lots of different opinions, including mine heh
Ditto.
Quote:
Gtr 3 is not the best imo, but is decent, I think they all kinda offer some good stuff for certain applications.
Agreed. The only 2 I even like though is Amplitub 2 and the new Peavey Revalver a little, but I basically went back to using the amp sims on my Roland hardware through the board and my real amp over all software options. So no, I obviously wasn't that impressed with GTR 3, at least not over other software options.
Old 29th May 2008
Gear Maniac

I've used Guitar Rig 2 and GTR3. I prefere GTR much more than Guitar Rig. It has a lot more body. There are a few things I don't like about it, like, I wish I could use the full plugin in a mono amp mode, so that I don't have to take my mono guitar tracks and make them stereo when I'm trying to process them to save DSP. You can have a mono amp, but you don't get the stomp boxes or tuner or anything.

Personally I usually end up using it mono and just double tracking things. I think it sounds great, and has much more impact.

Obviously it doesn't replace a real amp. I've got my 100watt tube amp sitting next to my recording rig, and i use that for tracking the real deal, but for getting ideas down quickly and quietly if I need to, it sounds good enough to inspire me to write music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search