The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
THE Prism Orpheus THREAD!!!!!
Old 2nd May 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 

THE Prism Orpheus THREAD!!!!!

I'd like to post this thread dedicated to the Orpheus for all those users who use it but wish certain little bugs, annoyances and requests to be sorted out. It's mostly dedicated to current users who can contribute to helping this product become even better and for future potential users to see it's development so that it may aid them in choosing a device such as this.

I am not giving a review on this or telling anyone how ****ing amazing it is because that is now a given. This is merely to see other peoples suggestions, potential problems and work rounds as well as any other tips they may well have.

If posting a problem - please specify exact system setup you have.

My setup. MAC PRO 8 core 2.8ghz with 2ghz RAM. OS X 10.5.2, Nuendo 4.1.3, Orpheus software 1.2

MAY I STRESS!!!! PRism support has been outstanding but I thought this thread would serve better as opposed to individuals ringing them or emailing them. Maybe I'm wrong to do this and if so I will delete it promptly if requested to do so by Prism.

Here are mine:
  • Putting the machine into standby will send loud clicks to main speakers.
  • Easier implementation of standalone mode. i.e Not needing to power down speakers (as what follows next will send spikes), power down front panel then removing power cord, then removing firewire cable, then reconnecting power cord then re-powering up! (sometimes I wish to just turn of my mac and just listen to CD's from my dedicated CD player through it)
  • The urgent need to have a fail safe for control room monitoring default mute function. Anyone who has had the software crash will know what I mean here when you're speakers all of a sudden become full volume. Ouch!!
  • The ability to be able to monitor two or more sets of control room speaker systems.
  • If you assign outputs 3+4 to your nearfields then pressing the VOL button turns them on full volume. If you re-press the VOL button then they'll play at the same time as whatever you have connected to Outputs 1+2 i.e No way to mute individual outputs. Would also be great to have a mono sum feature and possibly for the future a talk back feature making it much closer to the ideal control room monitor.
  • SRC wont stay active. I turn it on in unit settings and whenever I come back to the studio after the Orpheus has been switched off it defaults back to OFF even after saving those settings.
  • Still can't quite figure out the mixer software
  • Metering bleed on front panel (more annoyance than anything else really)
  • FEATURE REQUEST - The main volume knob on the front panel has a push in facility. Would be great to assign this to either a global output mute, Dim switch or talkback.
  • POSSIBLE BUG - In MAC. In Nuendo I have certain in out analogue channels that I cannot make active. They display as being inactive also the midi input is active but the midi output is inactive and cannot be activated

Many thanks to all who contribute to help this awesome product actually achieve perfection.

Paul
Old 2nd May 2008
  #2
Gear Nut
 
Gladstone's Avatar
 

This is no contribution yet (sorry) but I think this is a great idea! I'll try to post later what I would like to see changed and/or simplified.
Old 2nd May 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
lordmiguel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn View Post

The urgent need to have a fail safe for control room monitoring default mute function. Anyone who has had the software crash will know what I mean here when you're speakers all of a sudden become full volume. Ouch!!

The ability to be able to monitor two or more sets of control room speaker systems.

..........Would also be great to have a mono sum feature and possibly for the future a talk back feature making it much closer to the ideal control room monitor.

Paul
sounds like someone needs cr monitoring. i'd be surprised if they want to re-design their hardware when most hi enders already have this.

has anyone actually cracked native software monitoring challenges? i didn't know people with monitors they like to keep actually used this...actually i always thought it was impossible since software always runs over core audio drivers
Old 2nd May 2008
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Kirk D's Avatar
 

Quote:
Putting the machine into standby will send loud clicks to main speakers.
this has been fixed.

the update will be available soon I expect...

I tested it out for Prism this evening.

there is also a new update for the Prism applet which fixes the possibility of the software volume controller snapping to a loud volume (and also adds ADAT functionality)

this is all working fine on my Mac Pro 8-core 2.8gHZ.

there was a problem with the Mac firmware installer - so somebody from Prism came to my studio with a PC laptop and fixed it for me (I'm not far from Cambridge, but still that is exemplary customer support - especially on a Friday evening - all cos I mentioned I had a voice-over for a radio show to do tonight).

this interface was a large investment for me, but I couldn't be happier.

KD
Old 3rd May 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Kirk D - that's excellent news!

Incidentally did you have any problems with the MIDI out port on the Orpheus? I cannot get mine to work at all.

Many thanks.

Paul
Old 3rd May 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I have spent the entire day today playing with the Orpheus. As promised no reviews, oh well a sneaky one "AWESOME sound quality - scarily so!"

However - the mixer is, from what I can see here, a shambles. Please note I may be an idiot here and a simple explanation may well cure this.

Example.

I have outputs 1+2 feeding my speakers, 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 all of out my Orpheus feeding my KSP8's ins on 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 and the KSP8's stereo returns come back to the Orpheus inputs 7+8.
Using the send function on the daw channel strip set at 0db (nuendo) would normally give you a full send to your effects unit, did with my Lynx Aurora, but on the Orpheus this will not give you as much send as what your front volume control will give you!!!!!!!

I.E If you want a full send signal on output 3 you have to have the front volume control set to maximum - but now your speakers are on maximum!

In order to get a very healthy send signal you need to disable the volume switch on channel 3 within the Orpheus control applet - but then WHAM huge feedback through your speakers, if you have the mixer tab selected at the bottom. Also all off the output meters on the front panel of the device show a similar reading. Why??????? When all sending is out on output 3!

This is nuts!

As I said - it may well be me not seeing the woods for the trees but so far the AD/DA is second to none but the mixer is really really bad!

Paul

p.s. Could it be Core Audio? Are these same limitations on Win XP / Vista?

Can someone from Prism post an example on how the unit can be used as a monitor controller whilst simultaneously being used to send and return signals from external effects units to a DAW app like Nuendo / Logic please???
Old 3rd May 2008
  #7
Here for the gear
 

sync problems

while enjoying the sound quality I now have serious clock problems up to the point that I cant record anything anymore. Too bad that I'm not living in Camebridge. The Software on Os X is definitly not state of the art. Coming from Metric Halo 2882 the Prism is a downgrade. Support is very nice and calls back if I ask for, the problem stays.


Nicholas/ Berlin
Old 4th May 2008
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn View Post
I have spent the entire day today playing with the Orpheus. As promised no reviews, oh well a sneaky one "AWESOME sound quality - scarily so!"

However - the mixer is, from what I can see here, a shambles. Please note I may be an idiot here and a simple explanation may well cure this.

Example.

I have outputs 1+2 feeding my speakers, 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 all of out my Orpheus feeding my KSP8's ins on 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 and the KSP8's stereo returns come back to the Orpheus inputs 7+8.
Using the send function on the daw channel strip set at 0db (nuendo) would normally give you a full send to your effects unit, did with my Lynx Aurora, but on the Orpheus this will not give you as much send as what your front volume control will give you!!!!!!!

I.E If you want a full send signal on output 3 you have to have the front volume control set to maximum - but now your speakers are on maximum!

In order to get a very healthy send signal you need to disable the volume switch on channel 3 within the Orpheus control applet - but then WHAM huge feedback through your speakers, if you have the mixer tab selected at the bottom. Also all off the output meters on the front panel of the device show a similar reading. Why??????? When all sending is out on output 3!

This is nuts!

As I said - it may well be me not seeing the woods for the trees but so far the AD/DA is second to none but the mixer is really really bad!

Paul

p.s. Could it be Core Audio? Are these same limitations on Win XP / Vista?

Can someone from Prism post an example on how the unit can be used as a monitor controller whilst simultaneously being used to send and return signals from external effects units to a DAW app like Nuendo / Logic please???
I have a similar set up and it took me a while to figure out but it is working great. If I understand you correctly, this is what I recommend:

I use Cubase, so I'll reference this, but substitute for your own where applicable:

1. Set all of your Orpheus outputs to "Mixer". You will still get your Cubase Out channels in Orpheus via the DAW IN channel, when you send tracks out using Cubase Output 1&2. And this will play out of A01 and A02 where your monitors are assigned. These Cubase Outs 1&2, should be the only Cubase channels that come into Orpheus from Cubase.

2. Do not have Vol Wheel attached to outputs other than Orpheus A01/2 for your monitors. Control your outputs 3-8 from the Orpheus applet software. You will be able to get the same max level either way. I haven't had a problem with signal strength coming out of the Orpheus, so I can't help you with your issue there. Sorry.

3. Your sends 3-8 should be coming from Cubase outs straight thru your outputs on Orpheus (so they should not come through your speakers and cause feedback with this setup). Feedback should only occur if you have the sends coming back in from your KSP8. To check, I would disconnect any outs from KSP8 to Orpheus, to see if you're getting feedback. If so, then your sends are somehow coming in through some Orpheus DAW setting on the Orpheus.

4. Once you have Item 3, figured then connect your KSP8 output channels to Orpheus Input 7&8. Here's the thing. If you have Inputs 7&8 playing out of Orpheus Channels other than 1&2, you will get feedback, because your Orpheus 3-8 outs are going into KSP8. So make sure that Orpheus Outs 3-8 mute Input 7&8.

5. A problem I would have with your setup would be getting the mix back ITB, because in this case the complete mix is going out A01 and A02, and you are using all of your other outs for your KSP8. If you are running all of your channels through your KSP8, then you can come back in 7&8 and print to Cubase. I reserve 5&6 in and out via a two-buss comp for mixing back ITB.

6. Also, I send my channels out via adat optical and analog outs 5-8 for fx processing and get all back in via spdif optical.

I hope this helps, and I feel your pain. I'm cool now, but like I said, it took me a while to get there.
Old 4th May 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Ackman - thank you so much. I did exactly as you said but had to do a few variations to it but you got me there and I thank you for that.

What I had to do was this:

On the output setup tab I assign all the outputs to DAW except 1+2 which is set to mixer. Outs 1+2 have the VOL selected but everything else is off.

Then:

On the output mixer tabs 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 DO 1/2 I had to assign them all to DAW as well (in their own Window) and then bring every one of those faders down to -INF.

This has now stopped the loopback feedback. I now have control over what goes out of analogue outs 1+2.

So many thanks Ackman - I highly doubt I would have figured that out.

Goes to prove that this software, or the manual at very least, requires a re-think!

Paul
Old 4th May 2008
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn View Post
Ackman - thank you so much. I did exactly as you said but had to do a few variations to it but you got me there and I thank you for that.

What I had to do was this:

On the output setup tab I assign all the outputs to DAW except 1+2 which is set to mixer. Outs 1+2 have the VOL selected but everything else is off.

Then:

On the output mixer tabs 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 DO 1/2 I had to assign them all to DAW as well (in their own Window) and then bring every one of those faders down to -INF.

This has now stopped the loopback feedback. I now have control over what goes out of analogue outs 1+2.

So many thanks Ackman - I highly doubt I would have figured that out.

Goes to prove that this software, or the manual at very least, requires a re-think!

Paul

Glad to hear you worked it out and happy to be of any help. I agree, the software/manual needs a re-think.
Old 4th May 2008
  #11
Gear Head
 
Keith_EFK's Avatar
 

since only a week passed after i got my orph,
seems like i'm not qualified enough to join this thread. heh
i'm using this with G5 1.6 single+ Logic Pro 7.2,
yup, sounds great just like Blenn said.(in another thread if i'm not wrong)
being a RME user for past couple of years,
i found orph is sometimes too clear and transparent for my job(i make death metal records)
but of course, i totally agree that orph is worth the tag.

okay, may be this is out of subject,(sorry)
is there anyone using Orph on Win XP+Steinberg(nuen/cuba)?
i'm trying to move to PC(from my good old G5) cause i can't afford a octo-core stuff.
just want to hear opinions what XP based users think about their Orph. heh
Old 5th May 2008
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Hi guys,

Here are some things which I would like to see in futurtive updates;
My setup: PC XP proffesional. 32 bits-2gb RAM 1,8ghz (core 2 Duo)/Cubase (and a couple other programs).

* A button press function (with assignable functions to asign in the software controlpanel) to the main-volume control on the unit (select 1 out of 4 functions to the main knob; a total vol. mute knob, sending signal to all outputs and ??).

* The possibility for (also) connection other FW devices (such as the H8000FW as an example) to the FW (option 2).

* Indeed easier possibiltys for running the orpheus in stand-alone mode (not that importent for me personly)

* The option that the orpheus could be shot down totally (without the standby-mode) This could be developt bij the stand-by knob itself (for example holding the knob for 3 seconds or so.

* The urgent need to have a fail safe for control room monitoring default mute function. Anyone who has had the software crash will know what I mean here when you're speakers all of a sudden become full volume. Ouch!! true, I noticed that to in my setup!

* An option that you can freeze or extra save (for previting) de VOL buttons in Output setup tab. Since you get a very hard sound when you put the vol buttons of by excedent ( and the incoming signal is loud by itself).

* The options to increas the khz rate for stereo and multiple channels (for example; to get 8 channels of adat with 96khz and 4 of 192khz,and so on for other digital I/O's. But I'm afraid that this has a lot to do with changing a complete digital protocol?
I don't know if the Prism Sound guys have got the oppertunity for develop this request, without changing any hardware I/O's and 're-develop' a whole protocol?

* Maybe some FX possibilties like very hi-quality compressors,limiters EQ's. Especially for the Mic?

* Possibility for connected also XLR for line input (besides TRS) at least for channel 3-4.

* Maybe some extra (FX) features for the preamp function(s)?
* More possibilitys for overall external FW devices?
* Last but not least; 'better/others' routing options in all modes and tabs for the interface layout? Still can't quite figure out the mixer software; me to, altough it also has to do with the fact of maybe our ''lack/failure'' of'understanding mixer interfaces

* Indeed; some sort of overall options for sending signal to all outputs (for instance; 2 sets of monitors and a FX unit, of course you can mute and so on them for what you like).

Thank you very much for the to be able for helping to make this wonderfull unit to best unit of the world!
Hopefully you Prism Sound guys can develop all our tips to a higher level.
Again Thank you very much.
Old 6th May 2008
  #13
Gear Head
 
Keith_EFK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeklanoei View Post
Hi guys,

Here are some things which I would like to see in futurtive updates;
My setup: PC XP proffesional. 32 bits-2gb RAM 1,8ghz (core 2 Duo)/Cubase (and a couple other programs).

good suggestion heh

btw, is there any problem with using Orph with your cubase on XP?
does it work flawlessly?
Old 6th May 2008
  #14
My setup: DARC quad core PC, XP Home, Cubase 4 (latest version).

My changes would be:

1. I agree with making the push button a mute switch!

2. It would be really helpful to expand the mixer to include a dedicated fader for each ADAT return channel, I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't monitor adat returns from the mixer. I can using Cubase monitoring, but I run into latency issues.

I'm only using an octopre, but its nice to be able to use the 8 analogue ins and 2 digital channels for your nice pre's and then just use the ADAT returns for guide tracks (guide guitar, vocal, bass etc, if your recording a band) and things like talkback etc.

3. In the headphone mixer section, my DAW feed (from cubase) does not flag up (i.e there's no level coming back on the DAW1/2 fader).

The main issue with this is when a drummer for example needs to punch in/overdub, they can't hear the track, when I change the headphone mix type to "bus" its ok and my DAW 1/2 feed shows up fine, but then I can't have a seperate mix as the drummer is hearing the control room feed.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

4. Does anyone else think the headphone amps don't have enough volume? I'm using isolation headphones and a couple of times a drummer has needed more volume, but even with it cranked all the way up its not quite enough.

Apart from these things I'm very happy with my Orpheus, its a fine bit of kit.thumbsup
Old 6th May 2008
  #15
Gear Addict
 

I agree the adat part (should be more function for available.
And I aslo agree for the bit low volumes for the headphones.
Old 6th May 2008
  #16
im a bit confused by the development of this thread.

I can understand making general requests for a more user-friendly software set up in certain areas, but... "can we have me volume on the headphone amps" etc. Its as though you guys are either talking to an imaginary engineer from the other side of the glass, or you're fantasy designing on a fantasy budget. No piece of 2.5K kit is gonna do everything. The priority as i understood was nuetral A/D/A conversion at the lowest price. the other stuff is a bonus.

I'm assuming prism are too gentlemanly to butt in and remind us of this, so I'm doing it. i hope im not getting the wrong end of the stick.
Old 6th May 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
im a bit confused by the development of this thread.

I can understand making general requests for a more user-friendly software set up in certain areas, but... "can we have me volume on the headphone amps" etc. Its as though you guys are either talking to an imaginary engineer from the other side of the glass, or you're fantasy designing on a fantasy budget. No piece of 2.5K kit is gonna do everything. The priority as i understood was nuetral A/D/A conversion at the lowest price. the other stuff is a bonus.

I'm assuming prism are too gentlemanly to butt in and remind us of this, so I'm doing it. i hope im not getting the wrong end of the stick.
I have to basically agree with this. My intentions for this thread was software improvements as I feel this is where the device could be best improved. Not that louder headphone amps would be nicer but unless they recall all the devices and do this, which is just not going to happen, I feel the improvements in terms of features and bug fixes and easier implementation of the mixer are all software.

One suggestion was "it would be really helpful to expand the mixer to include a dedicated fader for each ADAT return channel, I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't monitor adat returns from the mixer." - this I completely agree on.

Also one thing Iran into yesterday when micing a kit was the need for a pad on the mic channels or at very least not start of at 10db but go to zero at least, though pad would be better!

Paul
Old 6th May 2008
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
im a bit confused by the development of this thread.

I can understand making general requests for a more user-friendly software set up in certain areas, but... "can we have me volume on the headphone amps" etc. Its as though you guys are either talking to an imaginary engineer from the other side of the glass, or you're fantasy designing on a fantasy budget. No piece of 2.5K kit is gonna do everything. The priority as i understood was nuetral A/D/A conversion at the lowest price. the other stuff is a bonus.

I'm assuming prism are too gentlemanly to butt in and remind us of this, so I'm doing it. i hope im not getting the wrong end of the stick.
While i also agree, i must say that the multiple stereo monitoring(this is what's bugging me the most) should be fixed the soonest possible, since Prism markets the Orpheus as a very capable monitor controller too. It would be crazy while having the Orpheus to be forced to spend another 2.5-3K for another high end monitor controller that wouldn't affect the DA quality of the Orpheus.
Old 7th May 2008
  #19
[quote=soundseeker;2030002]im a bit confused by the development of this thread.

I can understand making general requests for a more user-friendly software set up in certain areas, but... "can we have me volume on the headphone amps" etc. Its as though you guys are either talking to an imaginary engineer from the other side of the glass, or you're fantasy designing on a fantasy budget. No piece of 2.5K kit is gonna do everything. The priority as i understood was nuetral A/D/A conversion at the lowest price. the other stuff is a bonus.
quote]

Point taken, although would there possibly be the potential to have a firmware update to allow for more volume? If the headphone amps are capped at a certain volume, maybe there is something that can be done (via software) to increase that? I appreciate that is probably a load of bollucks and its purely a hardware thing.

I was just checking that I was not alone with the problem of the lack of volume on the headphone amps. To be honest the volume is fine for a vocal mix, but for drums I think it lacks headroom, but I can just take a stereo jack into another headphone amp if needs be, just didn't want to dig out the behringer.

Mic pre pads would also be hardware thing, would it not?
Old 7th May 2008
  #20
Gear Addict
 

Old 14th May 2008
  #21
Gear Addict
 

Do more people have got overall stability problems with the Orpheus vs PC?
I've to shut down my computer for serveral times. Because of the fact that it's not stabile for when it comes up to software/audio communication between the computer and orpheus. Sometimes I dont get an audio signal while everything is working corectly.

Can't wait for the futurtive updates!
Old 15th May 2008
  #22
Gear Nut
 

I am on a Mac Pro 3GHz quad 10.5.2 and have had the following problems from day 1 and have them still after the recent software updates:

- Frequent kernel panics, related to changing sample rates usually instigated by launching audio apps such as logic and ableton
- Distortion or audio drops when having 2 apps output audio
- Very loud noise on the headphone outs when orpheus is switched on after the computer has booted
- Clicks. pops, spikes when booting, launching apps and changing sample rates

I would be very interested to see if others get the same. it would help us and prism as well to find out the causes of problems
Old 15th May 2008
  #23
Gear Addict
 

Fasma, I have to say that I am very carefull with changing volumes, putting all sorts software knobs,buttons,rates and so on.

Most of the time I'm bussy with lower down volumes (Oprheus soft/hardware Volume controler,media players,DAW's, windows and so on)
just for preventing large and hugh feedback,klicks and so on.

I also shut down my mackies monitors (on/off button at the front of the monitors) many times for preventing hugh feedback,noise and so on when I'm switches in the Orpheus software panel. Just for preventing. But this shouldn't be that necessary.

Anyone also have some overall stability problems with PC?
Somethimes it's working fine for several times and somethimes it simply doesn't.
Old 15th May 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
h4nc0's Avatar
sigh, maybe I shouldn't have ordered one so fast.
Old 15th May 2008
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
Kirk D's Avatar
 

Quote:
sigh, maybe I shouldn't have ordered one so fast.
no such problems here. 8 Core Mac Pro - 2.8ghz.
Old 15th May 2008
  #26
Lives for gear
 
inthere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasma View Post
I am on a Mac Pro 3GHz quad 10.5.2 and have had the following problems from day 1 and have them still after the recent software updates:

- Frequent kernel panics, related to changing sample rates usually instigated by launching audio apps such as logic and ableton
- Distortion or audio drops when having 2 apps output audio
- Very loud noise on the headphone outs when orpheus is switched on after the computer has booted
- Clicks. pops, spikes when booting, launching apps and changing sample rates

I would be very interested to see if others get the same. it would help us and prism as well to find out the causes of problems
I think those are Leopard problems becase I've had them with 3 completely different interfaces on 4 different computers.... (Apogee Duet, Focusrite Saffire and TC Konnect 24D.
Old 15th May 2008
  #27
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk D View Post
no such problems here. 8 Core Mac Pro - 2.8ghz.
What OS version are you on? I am also suspecting Leopard to be the root for some of the problems.
Old 15th May 2008
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
Kirk D's Avatar
 

I'm using the very latest version of Leopard.

I also have the very latest firmware update for my Orpheus which I have been testing for Prism.

It has solved the loud speaker pops and cracks when putting the unit in standby mode or changing sample rate. Some small DC like pops are still heard when changing sample rate - and a few low level clicks but these are very quiet and don't bother me.

I also have a new version of the routing software - it solves the problem of the user accidentally turning the virtual volume knob to a high level with the mouse. Now its more controlled wherever you click the mouse.

As for kernel panics when using multiple apps / changing sample rates, I am just not experiencing these problems - and never have.

I've had digital distortion at very low latency (64) settings in Logic - at 96k - but putting the latency at 128 solves this.

IMPORTANT: I have no other devices connected to the Mac Pro via Firewire, so the Orpheus gets exclusive access to the FW bus.

Also, I also rarely open multiple audio apps with varying sample rate settings because I think this is asking for trouble - whatever interface you're using. I used PT's for years and got used to this way of working anyway. Maybe if I was opening Logic, iTunes, Cubase, Live, Quicktime all at once then maybe I'd start getting some of these problems... I've just learnt not to do it in my workflow.

KD
Old 15th May 2008
  #29
Gear Addict
 

I have firmwire 1.2 (I asume still the latest version, since I've looked on the Prism S. page)

I've got 2 FW units connected to my PC (XP proff. sp. 2) each on a different FW (different slots).

I can work with it so far (but not for whole session with all sorts of software,hardware,applications). It's a bit risky so far for running ''hugh'' projects,audio ans so on.

Hopefully a new update can bring some solutions to overall stabiltys.
And a couple of things extra heh
Old 15th May 2008
  #30
Gear Nut
 

thanks for the info Kirk D.

I also btw have no other FW devices connected. The panics I get are from opening apps consecutively and not simultaneously and not that often do I have different sampling rates between them. Anyhow, it looks like not many get these probs so it'll be harder to trace down.

One thing that happened to me since the update though, is that when previewing audio files from the finder the audio output is lost after 3 seconds. I don't get it with other apps so definitely a leopard issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk D View Post
I'm using the very latest version of Leopard.

I also have the very latest firmware update for my Orpheus which I have been testing for Prism.

It has solved the loud speaker pops and cracks when putting the unit in standby mode or changing sample rate. Some small DC like pops are still heard when changing sample rate - and a few low level clicks but these are very quiet and don't bother me.

I also have a new version of the routing software - it solves the problem of the user accidentally turning the virtual volume knob to a high level with the mouse. Now its more controlled wherever you click the mouse.

As for kernel panics when using multiple apps / changing sample rates, I am just not experiencing these problems - and never have.

I've had digital distortion at very low latency (64) settings in Logic - at 96k - but putting the latency at 128 solves this.

IMPORTANT: I have no other devices connected to the Mac Pro via Firewire, so the Orpheus gets exclusive access to the FW bus.

Also, I also rarely open multiple audio apps with varying sample rate settings because I think this is asking for trouble - whatever interface you're using. I used PT's for years and got used to this way of working anyway. Maybe if I was opening Logic, iTunes, Cubase, Live, Quicktime all at once then maybe I'd start getting some of these problems... I've just learnt not to do it in my workflow.

KD
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump