The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
THE Prism Orpheus THREAD!!!!!
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zerozerozero1 View Post
Can anyone else confirm that the Titan sounds different to Orpheus? Really disappointing and unexpected if so. Longtime Orpheus user here and as we all know it sounds incredible - it'd be a massive shame if its successor was compromised.

Be good to know for if/when we all have to consider updating, etc.
From what I understand it's nearly all about the interfacing. The fact is the computer industry ditched firewire in favor of USB. So, what is Prism to do? Titan. Titan all-in-all is nothing but their answer to this; otherwise what would Prism have to sell in this market line? There are NO significant upgrades to it other than a few trivial things to barely justify a "new" interface beyond the way it interfaces.

I think they kinda screwed up with the Titan in that they should have kept producing the Orpheus with this new ...USB connection type, replacing the firewire connection. Instead they awkwardly crammed in essentially the same unit while leaving everyone to try figuring out what is now up and what is now down.

The Titan should have truly been a "next generation" product with some significant changes in conversion technology to offer. I don't think it should even be in production yet considering this.

I mean, they could have made the new "improved" (???) Orpheus white too if they really wanted to. ??

I'll be keeping my Orpheus for a long time to come. Especially since I've got it running through Thunderbolt 3 - "[email protected]" Titan would have me stuck back at USB 2.0.
Old 21st January 2020
Deleted e09cd8e
Has anyone tried the new Dante cards for Titan and Atlas? I love how the Prism stuff sounds.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
From what I understand it's nearly all about the interfacing. The fact is the computer industry ditched firewire in favor of USB. So, what is Prism to do? Titan. Titan all-in-all is nothing but their answer to this; otherwise what would Prism have to sell in this market line? There are NO significant upgrades to it other than a few trivial things to barely justify a "new" interface beyond the way it interfaces.

I think they kinda screwed up with the Titan in that they should have kept producing the Orpheus with this new ...USB connection type, replacing the firewire connection. Instead they awkwardly crammed in essentially the same unit while leaving everyone to try figuring out what is now up and what is now down.

The Titan should have truly been a "next generation" product with some significant changes in conversion technology to offer. I don't think it should even be in production yet considering this.

I mean, they could have made the new "improved" (???) Orpheus white too if they really wanted to. ??

I'll be keeping my Orpheus for a long time to come. Especially since I've got it running through Thunderbolt 3 - "[email protected]" Titan would have me stuck back at USB 2.0.
Thanks for the info - interesting. So are you saying there's definitely a difference in the sound of the conversion between the two units? Mad if so!

Totally agree that it's baffling that they didn't just take the Orpheus and replace Firewire with USB2, keeping everything else the same, ie "Orpheus II". Frankly they'd seemingly started to build a successful brand name there too, so if nothing else would have made sense from a marketing point of view! To take this further, but probably a flight of fancy, in an ideal world we would have been able to send our Orpheus' into Prism to get the PC I/O swapped out.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Is this on Mac or PC? I've not really understood if Firewire through Thunderbolt is possible on the PC...
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Can anyone else confirm that the Titan sounds different to Orpheus? Really disappointing and unexpected if so. Longtime Orpheus user here and as we all know it sounds incredible - it'd be a massive shame if its successor was compromised.

Be good to know for if/when we all have to consider updating, etc.
They sound the same and it’s damn good. I used an Orpheus for a few years and then upgraded to titan so that I could go hdx. I sold the Orpheus to put the money toward the titan, but I wish I had kept it for remote recording! Oh well. But yes they sound the same.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info - interesting. So are you saying there's definitely a difference in the sound of the conversion between the two units? Mad if so!

Totally agree that it's baffling that they didn't just take the Orpheus and replace Firewire with USB2, keeping everything else the same, ie "Orpheus II". Frankly they'd seemingly started to build a successful brand name there too, so if nothing else would have made sense from a marketing point of view! To take this further, but probably a flight of fancy, in an ideal world we would have been able to send our Orpheus' into Prism to get the PC I/O swapped out.
"So are you saying there's definitely a difference in the sound of the conversion between the two units?"

None - the conversion is the same.

"in an ideal world we would have been able to send our Orpheus' into Prism to get the PC I/O swapped out."

I completely agree!

Also, they should have just resumed releasing the Orpheus with USB ..or whatever, as in "Mr. Prism, do you still sell Orpheus with firewire interfacing? ...No, we don't. It now comes with USB interfacing." End of story.

The other trivial "upgrades" could have just went into it too.

Quote:
Is this on Mac or PC? I've not really understood if Firewire through Thunderbolt is possible on the PC...
PC. It was a whirlwind ride that eventually resulted in me using a brand new Thunderbolt 3 equipped HP with the Orpheus. Yep, no more older computers with 'express' slots.
Old 22nd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel199 View Post
Thank you very much !
Hi Michael,

I don't want to be the spoiler.... But unfortunately it's that easy in theory... in practice it's a little different. My experiences are just based on Macs. Forst of all: the idea of daisy chaining is great. You don't need an additional word clock cable and syncing should be very accurate (I made some tests and indeed it performed far better than word clock syncing).
However the prisms are sometimes very bitchy / moody. It saves its parameter settings (like clock, sync, levels) when pressing the on/off button. However sometimes it happens (at least in our studio) that the we use sometime another audio interface (and this sometimes at different sample rates). It's a nightmare when you hook up the Orpheus in such a situation. Computer and Orpheus just don't "talk to each other" anymore. You cannot use any application that uses core audio then (not even Safari). You have to open the audio midi setup Programm, wait for a couple of minutes and (until it gets a time out) select the Orpheus and try to set up the correct sample rate (which is still stored at the orpheus). It takes another couple of minutes until the audio midi setup responds. Then you have to switch the power cable off the orpheus and hope that this was the right sample frequency... (you have to repeat this until you found the right sample rate and clocking) Now when daisy chaining it gets even more trickier... sample rate and clocking have to be correct on both devices and the order plus also a role. I had situation where I couldn't access one of the orpheus at all anymore. I hat to reload the fimware...
But if you are aware of this. Always use the same setup (in best case even the same sample rate). It works really nice. And as everybody just said: They still sound fantastic

Marcus

PS: I'm one of the beta testers for the Catalina (64 bit drivers). And it works: A little buggy (which is not really an issue because you use the control panel just for settings...) but it works
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

I've got a Titan here and what I can tell you is:

Sounds more realistic than MH LIO 3D, Apogee Symphony MK1, Dangerous Dbox.

Doesn't have great imaging. Apogee wins

Anyways it's getting clocking help from MH which has the most recent Clock and sounds more detailed.

USB and standalone sound very different. Standalone is far tighter and more composed(pun intended).

I wouldn't sell it but I wouldn't make it my only Converter. It's got a Prism sound charm... so hey can't sound the same as Orpheus... firewire and TB sound more precise...must be in the connection architecture.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXBOSS View Post
(pun intended)
Old 9th April 2020
Gear Addict

Confused with buffer and latency settings

Hi.
I recently bought an orpheus and iam tryung to figure out the relation between buffer and latency settings.
With all oreviou sinterfaces i was used just to one setting,the buffersize.(64,128,256 etc..)

Could you please suggest me which should be the relation-analogy for buffer and latency for the best asio and cpu performance?
Which are the best settings for recording with low latency and which for mixing?
Iam using cubase (9,5-10,5) on win7 x64.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Head

PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKamil View Post
Are the glitches or drops on a PC too? Or is it only a Mac (or Logic?) problem?
I was on MacPro Trashcan 12 cores and had cracks and pops. Sold the Mac and got a custom build PC and I'm a happy camper now. No pops no nothing...
Old 21st April 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
I'll be keeping my Orpheus for a long time to come. Especially since I've got it running through Thunderbolt 3
How did you manage to get the Orpheus running via Thunderbolt3?
Old 21st April 2020
Gear Head

Expanding i/o for Prism Orpheus

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice because I really don't think I'll make a good decision alone. I've looked online and threads to see if I could glean anything, but I haven't been able to.

I've had an Orpheus for nearly 7 years now. Connected to My Mac Pro 5,1. Yes, I've heard the occasional pops/crackle, but nothing that didn't get fixed with a soft reset or a power cycle. It is a wonderful interface. The sound instantly transformed my music. However ...

... I'm at a point where I've run out of I/O. Mainly, inputs. I love the sound of the Prism so I thought maybe adding another or getting a Titan might help. At the same time, I've read about ADAT latency and the possibility of instability on this thread. I think I might be OK but still there is that nagging fear.

However, I can only buy another firewire interface since my Mac does not have TB support. This brings me to my dilemma - should I -

1. Sell the Orpheus, invest in a new thunderbolt capable computer, and buy a high channel count (16/32) TB capable audio interface?

Or

2. Should I stay with the Prism and somehow find a way to expand my I/O and risk the instability? If I stay, what should interface should I look into?

OR

3. A third option that I have not considered?

My goal, is to have all my synths/sound sources connected so I can hit record in my DAW and record ANY device when I want.

I appreciate your feedback!

Last edited by fun_seeker; 21st April 2020 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Adding another option
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Anyone? I know this is complicated, but general advice on integrating hardware synths into a computer will help too! Thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun_seeker View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice because I really don't think I'll make a good decision alone. I've looked online and threads to see if I could glean anything, but I haven't been able to.

I've had an Orpheus for nearly 7 years now. Connected to My Mac Pro 5,1. Yes, I've heard the occasional pops/crackle, but nothing that didn't get fixed with a soft reset or a power cycle. It is a wonderful interface. The sound instantly transformed my music. However ...

... I'm at a point where I've run out of I/O. Mainly, inputs. I love the sound of the Prism so I thought maybe adding another or getting a Titan might help. At the same time, I've read about ADAT latency and the possibility of instability on this thread. I think I might be OK but still there is that nagging fear.

However, I can only buy another firewire interface since my Mac does not have TB support. This brings me to my dilemma - should I -

1. Sell the Orpheus, invest in a new thunderbolt capable computer, and buy a high channel count (16/32) TB capable audio interface?

Or

2. Should I stay with the Prism and somehow find a way to expand my I/O and risk the instability? If I stay, what should interface should I look into?

OR

3. A third option that I have not considered?

My goal, is to have all my synths/sound sources connected so I can hit record in my DAW and record ANY device when I want.

I appreciate your feedback!
you really shouldn't have any problems at all if you are paying attention. So many people complain of problems with the orpheus but avoid the most basic instruction (making sure your FW line has ONLY the orpheus on it and NO OTHER DEVICES). I'm using a 2008 imac and have NO ISSUES at all. I'm thinking of adding a second one now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thank you for your response, I feel much more cconfident. I've always stuck to that rule for the Orpheus.

So if I understand you correctly, with my current Orpheus the only device on the firewire bus, I can add another orpheus/titan via ADAT, have it be in standalone mode, and have a worry free experience as I have until now? Do I have to adjust for latency? Do I need add word clock connection?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

^ If you add a 2nd Orpheus, and that 2nd Orpheus is in ADAT Direct mode, the 2nd Orpheus will have higher latency than the 1st Orpheus. Probably around 3ms (150+ samples) higher.

I think Bitsmith is talking about daisy chaining using the Firewire ports, not the ADAT ports.

I have no idea if the Titan has the same ADAT latency as the Orpheus...

Last edited by DanRand; 4 weeks ago at 01:06 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
^ If you add a 2nd Orpheus, and that 2nd Orpheus is in ADAT Direct mode, the 2nd Orpheus will have higher latency than the 1st Orpheus. Probably around 3ms (150+ samples) higher.

I think Bitsmith is talking about daisy chaining using the Firewire ports, not the ADAT ports.

I have no idea if the Titan has the same ADAT latency as the Orpheus...

yes exactly - one plugged into each FW port actually (on my imac there are two FW ports) though i'm unsure if this is the same as daisy chaining - depends on internal wiring i guess. Though i'm sure 16 channels of 192KHz audio is really pushing it .. even for FW. I'd be curious to hear about any issues others may have had with this setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Hi, I'm pondering grabbing one of these used to run ADAT into my UFX+. Anyone have any experience doing so?

(and sorry if it's been covered, I didn't get through all 18 pages of this). THANKS!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Great news: MAC OS Catalina officially supported for Prism Sound Orpheus!
New 64-Bit Control app available for download.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

So is it possible to connect Orpheus via thunderbolt 3? Let’s say daisy chaining adapters (firewire to thunderbolt -> thunderbolt to thunderbolt 3)?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search