The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
THE Prism Orpheus THREAD!!!!!
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zerozerozero1 View Post
Can anyone else confirm that the Titan sounds different to Orpheus? Really disappointing and unexpected if so. Longtime Orpheus user here and as we all know it sounds incredible - it'd be a massive shame if its successor was compromised.

Be good to know for if/when we all have to consider updating, etc.
From what I understand it's nearly all about the interfacing. The fact is the computer industry ditched firewire in favor of USB. So, what is Prism to do? Titan. Titan all-in-all is nothing but their answer to this; otherwise what would Prism have to sell in this market line? There are NO significant upgrades to it other than a few trivial things to barely justify a "new" interface beyond the way it interfaces.

I think they kinda screwed up with the Titan in that they should have kept producing the Orpheus with this new ...USB connection type, replacing the firewire connection. Instead they awkwardly crammed in essentially the same unit while leaving everyone to try figuring out what is now up and what is now down.

The Titan should have truly been a "next generation" product with some significant changes in conversion technology to offer. I don't think it should even be in production yet considering this.

I mean, they could have made the new "improved" (???) Orpheus white too if they really wanted to. ??

I'll be keeping my Orpheus for a long time to come. Especially since I've got it running through Thunderbolt 3 - "[email protected]" Titan would have me stuck back at USB 2.0.
Old 21st January 2020
Deleted e09cd8e
Has anyone tried the new Dante cards for Titan and Atlas? I love how the Prism stuff sounds.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
From what I understand it's nearly all about the interfacing. The fact is the computer industry ditched firewire in favor of USB. So, what is Prism to do? Titan. Titan all-in-all is nothing but their answer to this; otherwise what would Prism have to sell in this market line? There are NO significant upgrades to it other than a few trivial things to barely justify a "new" interface beyond the way it interfaces.

I think they kinda screwed up with the Titan in that they should have kept producing the Orpheus with this new ...USB connection type, replacing the firewire connection. Instead they awkwardly crammed in essentially the same unit while leaving everyone to try figuring out what is now up and what is now down.

The Titan should have truly been a "next generation" product with some significant changes in conversion technology to offer. I don't think it should even be in production yet considering this.

I mean, they could have made the new "improved" (???) Orpheus white too if they really wanted to. ??

I'll be keeping my Orpheus for a long time to come. Especially since I've got it running through Thunderbolt 3 - "[email protected]" Titan would have me stuck back at USB 2.0.
Thanks for the info - interesting. So are you saying there's definitely a difference in the sound of the conversion between the two units? Mad if so!

Totally agree that it's baffling that they didn't just take the Orpheus and replace Firewire with USB2, keeping everything else the same, ie "Orpheus II". Frankly they'd seemingly started to build a successful brand name there too, so if nothing else would have made sense from a marketing point of view! To take this further, but probably a flight of fancy, in an ideal world we would have been able to send our Orpheus' into Prism to get the PC I/O swapped out.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Is this on Mac or PC? I've not really understood if Firewire through Thunderbolt is possible on the PC...
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Can anyone else confirm that the Titan sounds different to Orpheus? Really disappointing and unexpected if so. Longtime Orpheus user here and as we all know it sounds incredible - it'd be a massive shame if its successor was compromised.

Be good to know for if/when we all have to consider updating, etc.
They sound the same and it’s damn good. I used an Orpheus for a few years and then upgraded to titan so that I could go hdx. I sold the Orpheus to put the money toward the titan, but I wish I had kept it for remote recording! Oh well. But yes they sound the same.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for the info - interesting. So are you saying there's definitely a difference in the sound of the conversion between the two units? Mad if so!

Totally agree that it's baffling that they didn't just take the Orpheus and replace Firewire with USB2, keeping everything else the same, ie "Orpheus II". Frankly they'd seemingly started to build a successful brand name there too, so if nothing else would have made sense from a marketing point of view! To take this further, but probably a flight of fancy, in an ideal world we would have been able to send our Orpheus' into Prism to get the PC I/O swapped out.
"So are you saying there's definitely a difference in the sound of the conversion between the two units?"

None - the conversion is the same.

"in an ideal world we would have been able to send our Orpheus' into Prism to get the PC I/O swapped out."

I completely agree!

Also, they should have just resumed releasing the Orpheus with USB ..or whatever, as in "Mr. Prism, do you still sell Orpheus with firewire interfacing? ...No, we don't. It now comes with USB interfacing." End of story.

The other trivial "upgrades" could have just went into it too.

Quote:
Is this on Mac or PC? I've not really understood if Firewire through Thunderbolt is possible on the PC...
PC. It was a whirlwind ride that eventually resulted in me using a brand new Thunderbolt 3 equipped HP with the Orpheus. Yep, no more older computers with 'express' slots.
Old 22nd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel199 View Post
Thank you very much !
Hi Michael,

I don't want to be the spoiler.... But unfortunately it's that easy in theory... in practice it's a little different. My experiences are just based on Macs. Forst of all: the idea of daisy chaining is great. You don't need an additional word clock cable and syncing should be very accurate (I made some tests and indeed it performed far better than word clock syncing).
However the prisms are sometimes very bitchy / moody. It saves its parameter settings (like clock, sync, levels) when pressing the on/off button. However sometimes it happens (at least in our studio) that the we use sometime another audio interface (and this sometimes at different sample rates). It's a nightmare when you hook up the Orpheus in such a situation. Computer and Orpheus just don't "talk to each other" anymore. You cannot use any application that uses core audio then (not even Safari). You have to open the audio midi setup Programm, wait for a couple of minutes and (until it gets a time out) select the Orpheus and try to set up the correct sample rate (which is still stored at the orpheus). It takes another couple of minutes until the audio midi setup responds. Then you have to switch the power cable off the orpheus and hope that this was the right sample frequency... (you have to repeat this until you found the right sample rate and clocking) Now when daisy chaining it gets even more trickier... sample rate and clocking have to be correct on both devices and the order plus also a role. I had situation where I couldn't access one of the orpheus at all anymore. I hat to reload the fimware...
But if you are aware of this. Always use the same setup (in best case even the same sample rate). It works really nice. And as everybody just said: They still sound fantastic

Marcus

PS: I'm one of the beta testers for the Catalina (64 bit drivers). And it works: A little buggy (which is not really an issue because you use the control panel just for settings...) but it works
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

I've got a Titan here and what I can tell you is:

Sounds more realistic than MH LIO 3D, Apogee Symphony MK1, Dangerous Dbox.

Doesn't have great imaging. Apogee wins

Anyways it's getting clocking help from MH which has the most recent Clock and sounds more detailed.

USB and standalone sound very different. Standalone is far tighter and more composed(pun intended).

I wouldn't sell it but I wouldn't make it my only Converter. It's got a Prism sound charm... so hey can't sound the same as Orpheus... firewire and TB sound more precise...must be in the connection architecture.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXBOSS View Post
(pun intended)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search