The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Paul Frindle - new company, new plugin
Old 13th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I bought DSM last week and it is phenomenal! I can't imagine ever using a stereo buss or mastering comp again.

Paul: What new products are on the horizon from your company?
Sorry that I've been away from here for weeks. I have been busy handling loads of stuff, as you can imagine - the change caused a lot of work to get in place and loads of admin following the release..

Thanks for the positive comments, I know the change has been quite large and confusing with the whole different process in place. There was no way I was going to say anything - until it actually existed and was on sale for real. But by and large people have been very kind and tolerant of all this coming right out of the blue - and I really appreciate the support loads :-)

Radical change was required at the deepest level because my perception was that it would simply never get done under our existing arrangement. The DSM therefore risked getting left behind to history and fading into obscurity like other great stuff which has lacked support in the past. That would have been so very sad and a great loss :-( The partnership with the guys at the Plugin Alliance was absolutely crucial in making this happen, because they have the vision, belief, energy and technical means to push this through, where we were failing - and others were doubting.. My hat goes off to those guys, with deep gratitude for supporting this with so much vigour and professionalism :-)

The hope is that, released from permanently trying to get the DSM updated (as we have done for the last 3 years!), we can get on with making new stuff we had intended at the start 4 years ago - soon as the DSM V2 is bedded down, we have dusted ourselves off and taken some deep breaths :-)

Of course in many ways the market has already changed since 2008, but many of those ideas are still current IMO and have not been achieved to satisfaction by others.

The idea as ever is to bring new artistic power to the industry - not simply regurgitate the past :-)

Thanks again for all your support since the start of Proaudiodsp - without you guys we are nothing..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frindle View Post
Sorry that I've been away from here for weeks. I have been busy handling loads of stuff, as you can imagine - the change caused a lot of work to get in place and loads of admin following the release..

Thanks for the positive comments, I know the change has been quite large and confusing with the whole different process in place. There was no way I was going to say anything - until it actually existed and was on sale for real. But by and large people have been very kind and tolerant of all this coming right out of the blue - and I really appreciate the support loads :-)

Radical change was required at the deepest level because my perception was that it would simply never get done under our existing arrangement. The DSM therefore risked getting left behind to history and fading into obscurity like other great stuff which has lacked support in the past. That would have been so very sad and a great loss :-( The partnership with the guys at the Plugin Alliance was absolutely crucial in making this happen, because they have the vision, belief, energy and technical means to push this through, where we were failing - and others were doubting.. My hat goes off to those guys, with deep gratitude for supporting this with so much vigour and professionalism :-)

The hope is that, released from permanently trying to get the DSM updated (as we have done for the last 3 years!), we can get on with making new stuff we had intended at the start 4 years ago - soon as the DSM V2 is bedded down, we have dusted ourselves off and taken some deep breaths :-)

Of course in many ways the market has already changed since 2008, but many of those ideas are still current IMO and have not been achieved to satisfaction by others.

The idea as ever is to bring new artistic power to the industry - not simply regurgitate the past :-)

Thanks again for all your support since the start of Proaudiodsp - without you guys we are nothing..
Thanks for the words of inspiration, Paul.
Lives for gear
Quote:

great news and thank you Mr.Frindle.
Lives for gear

I have two questions:

Does this new version require iLok..?
If not what authorization system is used?

::
Mads
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I have two questions:

Does this new version require iLok..?
If not what authorization system is used?

Mads
No it uses the plugin alliance's system. The internet is your friend!!

https://www.plugin-alliance.com

BTW, my transition to the new system for my Brainworx plugs as well as DSM v2 took about 2 minutes to do and was a breeze.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Thanks - Hope it works well and stable and that one doesn't risk to have plugins not working [if plugin alliance close their business].

As far as I can see it looks quite a bit better than the ordinary dongle systems...

Mads
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

BTW, my transition to the new system for my Brainworx plugs as well as DSM v2 took about 2 minutes to do and was a breeze.
The Plugin Alliance authorisation system is biased much more to easy access than restriction. One purchase gives you authorisations for 3 machines too.

They are much more likely to stay around than we were before this partnership - and now there will be timely updates when platforms change, so your S/W will not get left behind in the way it did when we were running it.. :-) And of course I'm still around to help.

There are loads of advantages in this cooperation for the customers IMHO.
Gear Head

Quote:
The partnership with the guys at the Plugin Alliance was absolutely crucial in making this happen, because they have the vision, belief, energy and technical means to push this through, where we were failing - and others were doubting.. My hat goes off to those guys, with deep gratitude for supporting this with so much vigour and professionalism :-)
My hat goes off to both you Paul, and Plugin Alliance too. I've been in contact with them regarding some bugs in DSM2 and they've been responding fast and helpful. Kudos to you all.
Gear Nut

First - Thanks again to Paul for a very unique tool that certainly makes mixing some problem tracks a lot easier. I'm anxious to see what new things are ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensa View Post
I've been in contact with them regarding some bugs in DSM2 and they've been responding fast and helpful.
Jensa: care to elaborate on the bugs so we don't all have to wonder if it is a bug or something else going on with our DAW? My apologies if they have already been posted. I might have missed them.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited by don4777; 13th November 2012 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by don4777 View Post
First - Thanks again to Paul for a very unique tool that certainly makes mixing some problem tracks a lot easier. I'm anxious to see what new things are ahead.

Jensa: care to elaborate on the bugs so we don't all have to wonder if it is a bug or something else going on with our DAW? My apologies if they have already been posted. I might have missed them.

Thanks,
Don
There was a new bug fix download to address the initial wave of general issues by the next day after the release, including things like occasional AU validation failure and other general stuff that emerged.

At the moment we are chasing down the following issues, after a large number of existing V1 users have upgraded:

- a couple of users are reporting that the capture curve sometimes does not appear after a set-up is saved and restored and/or disappears under some circumstances.

- A few others have reported that the right hand freq control group sometimes appears to default to factory settings after a restore, regardless of the saved settings.

- One person is reporting that the DSM has returned a 3dB higher level when a track is rendered compared to what it did during real time mixing (very strange).

- One person is reporting occasional high CPU usage on their particular system. (On mine the VST is using around 1% CPU on average).

We are trying to recreate these problems to be able to fix them.. They will be pretty noticeable as bugs if these happen to you during use..

Jensa - If you have things you think may be bugs please do report them to us, even if you are not certain. Everything will be investigated and acted on :-)
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

@Don: Paul have already covered most of them and some has already been fixed with the update available. There's still a problem with the analyzed curve getting reset when you change sample rate or reinitialize the audio interface, as is what seems to happen when you render in for example Sony Vegas / Movie Studio. There's also the problem with pulling down the Gain Out slider (the one on the left that works as a normal volume slider after the processing have been done) making DSM show lesser to none GR even though the limiter is still reducing as much gain as before pulling down the slider. Not a bug per se but makes the GR display unusable when you pull back on the Gain out.

@Paul: Yep, I've already reported and been in contact with Plugin Alliance. Got very fast and polite replies. I'm happy. :-)

Sent from my Xoom
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensa View Post
@Don: Paul have already covered most of them and some has already been fixed with the update available. There's still a problem with the analyzed curve getting reset when you change sample rate or reinitialize the audio interface, as is what seems to happen when you render in for example Sony Vegas / Movie Studio. There's also the problem with pulling down the Gain Out slider (the one on the left that works as a normal volume slider after the processing have been done) making DSM show lesser to none GR even though the limiter is still reducing as much gain as before pulling down the slider. Not a bug per se but makes the GR display unusable when you pull back on the Gain out.

@Paul: Yep, I've already reported and been in contact with Plugin Alliance. Got very fast and polite replies. I'm happy. :-)

Sent from my Xoom
Glad to hear you reported the curve problem to them. Reporting bugs here is not the best place since they are unlikely to be seen by the people who need to respond..

The output meter is not a real functional gain reduction display - it's only an output level display. A true gain reduction display that takes account of the whole of the DSM would be a much more complex thing, since it's working in the freq spectrum domain.

The changing of the colour of the 'over' area of the meter when the Limiter is engaged indicates that these levels are safe and no longer cause hard clipped value overs. Reducing the output level of course does not change that fact.

The output level control is there only to provide people with a way of reducing the compressed and limited final output for sending on - whilst maintaining proper dithering. People have asked for this when sending to mastering, re-coding for Mp3/WMA, or trying to avoid intersample overs etc.

The way I use this is to do ALL my DSM adjustments and settings with the output level at max, then reduce it as the very last thing before rendering the track.

I hope this helps :-)
Heb
Gear Maniac
Hi Paul!
Glad to have you back here
I'm excited to hear that this new collaboration hopefully will result in new releases from you.

Do you have any comment on the compatibility of captures between the old/new version of DSM?

I have made quite a lot of captures in theold version that I use alot and I have not been able to open them up the new version of DSM.
Are the two versions not compatible and if so is there no way of converting the captures to the updated version?

/Henke
Gear Head

Quote:
The way I use this is to do ALL my DSM adjustments and settings with the output level at max, then reduce it as the very last thing before rendering the track.

I hope this helps :-)
Yep, helps a lot. The way you describe it above is exactly how I would like to read it in the manual, instead of getting you all confused by me submitting some imaginary bug reports. :-)

Again, thanks a lot!
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
Hi Paul!
Glad to have you back here
I'm excited to hear that this new collaboration hopefully will result in new releases from you.

Do you have any comment on the compatibility of captures between the old/new version of DSM?

I have made quite a lot of captures in theold version that I use alot and I have not been able to open them up the new version of DSM.
Are the two versions not compatible and if so is there no way of converting the captures to the updated version?

/Henke

Unfortunately at the moment you cannot import set-ups from DSM version 1 into version 2.

The reason is that DSM V2 is in fact a new and additional plug-in application (it does not replace or delete the previous V1) and it uses a different method to save and restore set-ups which enables it to be common to all platforms. This also means that V2 will not replace V1 in an existing project and read automation previously written by V1.

An added complication is that the set-ups on the previous version were different and incompatible between the different platforms AU, VST and PT - so there are 3 possible different types of set-ups.

At some point we may make a utility to convert set-ups from V1, but we don't have that at the moment.

Sorry :-(
Old 12th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

For those of you that haven't pulled the trigger yet on buying this killer plug, it's on sale at a huge discount til the end of the day!

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/xmasc.html?door=12
Old 23rd December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMike View Post
For those of you that haven't pulled the trigger yet on buying this killer plug, it's on sale at a huge discount til the end of the day!

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/xmasc.html?door=12
Thanks - DONE!

And thank you very much Mr. Frindle.
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Hi guys. Just wondering if you have any tips on how to stop the limiter from distorting on musical passages with pure tones? I have noticed that DSM 2 has a tendency to distort on mids.

I am currently shooting it out against Cedar Audio Adaptive Limiter no2 and noticed that when matching levels the DSM will distort on mids at a level that AL2 wont. In this case its a vocal.

Other than that the DSM destroys the Cedar limiter for punch clarity etc.

I just wish I could get to the timings on the limiter to slow them down during sections like breakdowns with pure sub bass or mid content. Kind of like the speed knob on Flux Elixer V3. Any tips?

BTW DSM2 is really really impressive. A must have IMO. Thanks Paul.
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Hi guys. Just wondering if you have any tips on how to stop the limiter from distorting on musical passages with pure tones? I have noticed that DSM 2 has a tendency to distort on mids.

I am currently shooting it out against Cedar Audio Adaptive Limiter no2 and noticed that when matching levels the DSM will distort on mids at a level that AL2 wont. In this case its a vocal.

Other than that the DSM destroys the Cedar limiter for punch clarity etc.

I just wish I could get to the timings on the limiter to slow them down during sections like breakdowns with pure sub bass or mid content. Kind of like the speed knob on Flux Elixer V3. Any tips?

BTW DSM2 is really really impressive. A must have IMO. Thanks Paul.
Old 30th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Its 99 bucks right now wich is insane. Grab it! (I did)
📝 Reply