The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB Extenders and G4's: Fixed Yet?
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

USB Extenders and G4's: Fixed Yet?

(posted this elsewhere on GS but I thought I'd try here too)

I don't know... I've been through the usb extension debacle with my G4 enough to been steamed about it now. I finally have a workable solution, but it is rather clumsy.

Using two of NTI's 15' usb extension cables from my keyboard requires quickly unplugging the connection each time I shut down. Otherwise, the G4 will restart by itself! To achieve this quick slight of hand, I've velcroed the end of the usb cable under my desk with the connection between the keyboard and extension at hand. If I don't time it right, it restarts .....

I've also tried Dr. Bott's Moniswitch USB2 wtih the same extension cables without much success. This was when I wanted to control two computers with one keybd/mouse/monitor. Well, it doesn't work. The monitor came up fine, but the mouse became either a simple point/click (instead of an 11 function Kensington) or was disabled. Dr. Bott's told me the company they contracted these boxes from discontinued them for reasons like mine. Little wonder.

Maybe the Geffen unit is the seventh wonder of the modern world, but I wouldn't try to carry digital audio over long distance usb.

Welcome to the wonderful world of usb extensions. They suck ass and I don't know if Apple has solved the usb interface port problem yet, but I'm not buying a new computer just to fix it. Was this problem ever fixed?

If anyone who has read this far knows of a better solution, I'm all ears (well, eyes).

p.s. - Forgetting to unplug my usb floppy drive, which is only 3' from the computer, also causes a restart.
Old 14th December 2002
Mac Moderator

Jax,
Are you on a Quicksilver G4? These have been notorious for the problem you describe...

In all my experience (got a Mirror Dual 1 gig rig beside me right now, complete with gefen usb extenders) the Mirror Door G4's have solved this issue...

Have you tried putting a powered USB hub in the middle of the USB cable run? I know it wont work for everything, but It made things somewhat better on Quicksilvers at work.

Al.
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

I don't know my Quicksilver from my Sawtooth or Sequoia (wait... then how do I know those names?). It's a G4 400 single proc. I've tried powered and passive usb hubs. Makes no difference. If putting a powered hub in the middle only helps a little as you say, then I won't bother.

Maybe it'll have to wait until I upgrade my G4. The usb problem isn't a big enough deal to make me do that, though.

MCal, now that you seem to be around, any idea re. the DVD player problem? (several threads down)
Old 17th December 2002
Mac Moderator

Ok Jax I'll take alook. Sorry I'm not around as much as I'd like, but work keeps me busy. I have to do what I do on here for many clients who pay to have me available to them.

I do keep looking in though to see that there's no arguements 'kicking off' etc... yuktyy

Al.
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

MCal, I didn't mean to come off as an ingrate, what I said was just noting that you are infact, a busy person. I certainly appreciate your taking the time. Thank you!

Old 17th December 2002
Mac Moderator

S'ok man. I didn't take it as that.

But thanks for the kind words anyway rollz

Al.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear