The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick question about Apogee AD-16X / DA-16X
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Max
Here's the scoop. As of right now, version 1.X of the AD-16X and DA-16X does not support digital I/O. The good news is that we are going to be releasing version 2.0 of the X-series software, which will support this functionality................. Due end of Novermber

Max,

Any news on when this new version might be available... I'm thinking of upgrading and this would save some I/O hassle...
Old 13th January 2005
Max
Lives for gear

We are in testing right now and are shooting for an end of the month release.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Head

Hi all,

Can someone show me how?

I have AD DA 16X and X Symphony installed each card and using symphony 32... Protool HD9... When I select Option in the DA 16X... sound not coming out. I select ADAT ... sound coming out. I don't know why..... Show me please...Help...
And In PT, when i create new project with 192... can not play...? How..? Help plz... Only play when 41k or 48k...

Help...
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Head

Hi all,
That a problem on my AD/DA 16x...
After upgrade I can't not sync 2 converter by option card... just sync by DAT...
I don't know why?

Then I upgrade again, but wrong midi input (on DA 16x)... Plugin a midi on board.
So Now I can not conect DA card to the symphony...

Can someone help me plz???

Many thanks
Old 26th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Whoa, I'm feeling nostalgic about a 13 yr old thread. This is weird

In any case, I was looking at current prices for both the AD and DA16Xs ( I never bought the DA16X). I'm pretty surprised

Why are used ones so inexpensive, at $600-750?? Are there newer products that do the exact same job, with all the same fidelity at this price point? I think I remember paying $2200 or $2300 for the AD16 back when this thread started

I'm curious for two reasons: eventual resale value of my AD16, and I may want to purchase the DA finally. But if there are newer products under $1k, with warranties, that are not compromised in audio fidelity, then I guess I need to know about them
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msyno View Post
In any case, I was looking at current prices for both the AD and DA16Xs ( I never bought the DA16X). I'm pretty surprise

I'm curious for two reasons: eventual resale value of my AD16, and I may want to purchase the DA finally. But if there are newer products under $1k, with warranties, that are not compromised in audio fidelity, then I guess I need to know about them
Are you talking non-"X" or "X" models? This thread is talking about the X models but you've mentioned the non-X models too which makes things a little ambiguous (unless you are just talking short-hand and didn't realise there was a non-X model predecessor that was significantly worse)
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Are you talking non-"X" or "X" models? This thread is talking about the X models but you've mentioned the non-X models too which makes things a little ambiguous (unless you are just talking short-hand and didn't realise there was a non-X model predecessor that was significantly worse)
Haha, I'm referring to the X and it was shorthand. I definitely didn't realize they made a non-X version

So, any scoop on the price drop? Is it because digital products depreciate much faster than an average analog? We all know that classic analog actually appreciates greatly, most of the time
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Well, they are 13 years old since their debut. There have been 2 versions since their release in Apogee's line-up (Symphony mk1 and now Symphony mk2.) So it is now a 3 generations back product, no warranty, no future support. That all takes a hit including the better chips on the Symphony boards. I also don't know if Symphony (software/cards) even still support the AD/DA 16X; I've only used them with the Pro Tools digilink cards.

They were generally trouble-free for me until I got rid of them; there was the occasional need to do a full reset when they went blinky (never knew the cause of this -- separate machine room and HVAC cooled) but Apogee walked me through (they were not surprised which indicates they know of an issue.) There was also the annoying firmware update that was a PITA needed to keep them working with Pro Tools which involved opening them up and doing two updates per unit -- but that was years ago and I'd expect all on the market today have had that happen. Overall more reliable than the Symphony Mk1 box.

As for your price comparison -- at the $1k price point and comparing used to new, I think you've hamstrung the competition. $1k used to used comparison might find some competitors. But do you need Pro Tools support? The big competitor to Apogee was Lynx in that market (modular expansion, multi-channel, Pro Tools support)
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
As for your price comparison -- at the $1k price point and comparing used to new, I think you've hamstrung the competition. $1k used to used comparison might find some competitors. But do you need Pro Tools support? The big competitor to Apogee was Lynx in that market (modular expansion, multi-channel, Pro Tools support)
I guess I'm one of the oddballs who still uses Cubase. So no PT support needs

So the DA16X for around $700 is a decent deal, then?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Yes
📝 Reply