The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick question about Apogee AD-16X / DA-16X
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Question

Max,

On the subject of Apogee (since Max has been kind enough to answer several questions), I've recently found myself shopping for one of your products, when originally I had no intention of spending what it cost to get one. I finally got some money to get a pro recording studio started, and have always felt (and been schooled) that spending money on the front-end was best for audio quality/ cost. I purchased a Wunder Audio preamp/EQ (purportedly the best, wish i could get 7 more!), an OctoPre 8 Channel preamp/compressor. and some good mics under a $1000 each. I finally made the decision to go DAW and use my computer for recording - and purchased a MAudio Firewire 1814. I had no idea that its inputs (-10 dbu) would overload so bad, coming out of the balanced outputs (+4dbu) of the micpres (too many drunken years since college!). I know I have to get something else now, and have heard about 2 or 3 options. One of them is the Motu 828 and the other is your Rosetta 800. I'll preface the next statement by saying that I already know your company is a leader, if not THE leader in analog-digital conversions. But I can't get a straight answer from anybody (certainly none of the Guitar Center newbs) about what I am getting for the extra $1200? Conversion rates like 96 and 192 KHz are quantifiable, but when I ask about what the quantifiable difference is between one of your cards and another that does 192 Khz conversion, I get " It just sounds better, trust me" and "How do you know a Neumann U47 is better than a U87?". I know somebody has an answer out there, and you definitely are the most qualified person to give it!! Thanks in advance ...

BTW, I don't mind spending the extra money, as long as it keeps the signal chain top-notch, and I don't have to buy 5 other interface cards to go into my PC!
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by msyno
........ about what I am getting for the extra $1200?.....
You should be looking for build quality.
For example: I use to have a Motu 828 (MK1) and this thing has to be placed at least one meter away from everything unbalanced.
The powersuply is a very cheap one and emits a hum which is picked up by audio cables.
Now I have a RME ADI 8 pro and this one has a much better power suply. (I opened up both units to take a look)
I don't know the Rosseta but I suspect that this unit is of better quality than a Motu 828 (MK1 or MK2 that is).

You should ask a tech to compare both unit's. That way you will get a objective answer. Look for AD/DA convertor IC's , capacitors used, power suply......build quality.

Also, this ADI pro 8 I'm having now is much more quiet than the Motu 828.
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks Radiance. It gives me a good start on what to look for. Does anybody else have any advice on this? (It would be cool to hear from Max, of course!)
Old 26th October 2004
Max
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Max,

I finally made the decision to go DAW and use my computer for recording - and purchased a MAudio Firewire 1814. I had no idea that its inputs (-10 dbu) would overload so bad, coming out of the balanced outputs (+4dbu) of the micpres (too many drunken years since college!). I know I have to get something else now, and have heard about 2 or 3 options. One of them is the Motu 828 and the other is your Rosetta 800. I'll preface the next statement by saying that I already know your company is a leader, if not THE leader in analog-digital conversions. But I can't get a straight answer from anybody (certainly none of the Guitar Center newbs) about what I am getting for the extra $1200? Conversion rates like 96 and 192 KHz are quantifiable, but when I ask about what the quantifiable difference is between one of your cards and another that does 192 Khz conversion, I get " It just sounds better, trust me" and "How do you know a Neumann U47 is better than a U87?". I know somebody has an answer out there, and you definitely are the most qualified person to give it!! Thanks in advance ...

BTW, I don't mind spending the extra money, as long as it keeps the signal chain top-notch, and I don't have to buy 5 other interface cards to go into my PC!
This question is difficult to answer in as straightforward a manner as I would like in a forum like this only because I have a strict policy of not saying things like "Apogee is better than Brand X because of this this and this." I do not believe that statements or commentary like this coming from a manufacturer benefit the reader in any way, even when they are true, as there is a built in bias that in my opinion compromises the credibility of any claims made and there are readers that will automatically impeach whatever is said in this regard based on their own experiences, biases and loyalties (And well they should).

That being said, there are certain criteria and design elements that effect the quality and performance of all converters. Power supply, analog section, clocking, filters...etc. All these things factor in to how well the converter is able to replicate the original analog signal. Since there is no such thing as a loss-less converter, the "art" of converter design becomes choosing where to take the loss and how to minimize it where it occurs. Those with the best technology and design will make the best product.

For our part in all this, Apogee is a small company that focuses almost exclusively on developing technology and design that improves the conversion process. Every decision we make regarding component choices and design is based on rigorous listening, more components, more design and then more listening. As for build quality, everything we make is manufactured here in California and we stand behind our products far beyond what most other companies would consider reasonable (or even sane).

My suggestion for you would be to get a Rosetta 800, either at a dealer or a rental house, put it up in your studio and listen to it. I believe that doing so will allay any concerns you may have.

For more on specifics, feel free to call me directly and I will be happy to discuss it in much more detail than I am willing to go into here (that invitation is open for anyone else as well). 310****5-1000
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Max
This question is difficult to answer in as straightforward a manner as I would like in a forum like this only because I have a strict policy of not saying things like "Apogee is better than Brand X because of this this and this." I do not believe that statements or commentary like this coming from a manufacturer benefit the reader in any way, even when they are true, as there is a built in bias that in my opinion compromises the credibility of any claims made and there are readers that will automatically impeach whatever is said in this regard based on their own experiences, biases and loyalties (And well they should).

Then why do your ads on this forum say "This is one of the best converters ever made; this is the other one"? Just curious.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Then why do your ads on this forum say "This is one of the best converters ever made; this is the other one"? Just curious.
I shouldn't presume to answer for him, but...saying something on an ad, even in a forum, is entirely different than saying the same thing in answer to a question on a forum.

I think Max has a good sense of what a forum is and is not a good venue for. I don't think these forums are a good place for thinly-veiled attacks against your competitors.

-Duardo
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To Do List:

1. Search Gearslutz for any new threads containing the word "Apogee".

2. Post a reply that tries to steer the discussion towards other converters. If poss., torpedo the original purpose of the thread in order to get attention and appear knowledgeable and important.

3. Act innocent. When called on it, act outraged.

4. Stay up all night thinking about what you'll post next time.

5. Go back to step 1. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sheesh....H
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by logichead
To Do List:

1. Search Gearslutz for any new threads containing the word "Apogee".

2. Post a reply that tries to steer the discussion towards other converters. If poss., torpedo the original purpose of the thread in order to get attention and appear knowledgeable and important.

3. Act innocent. When called on it, act outraged.

4. Stay up all night thinking about what you'll post next time.

5. Go back to step 1. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sheesh....H
Answers:

1. It was on top, I didn't do a search, and I never have done a search regarding any competitors.

2. I am asking an honest question.

3. I am innocent and not the least bit outraged.

4. I sleep very soundly at night, thank you.

5. There is no step one.

Thanks.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Duardo
I shouldn't presume to answer for him, but...saying something on an ad, even in a forum, is entirely different than saying the same thing in answer to a question on a forum.

I think Max has a good sense of what a forum is and is not a good venue for. I don't think these forums are a good place for thinly-veiled attacks against your competitors.

-Duardo
Duardo,

I don't think that there is or should be any difference in what a salesman or a marketing department says. They should both be the truth and therefore one and the same. I'm not trying to stir up any controversy here at all. I think that the products mentioned in this thread are a very good value for the money. I just wanted clarification on a salesman saying that he doesn't ever say his products are the best right under a banner ad where his marketing department says that their products are indeed the best. There is no attack intended. I am just saying that Max for the most part has been very good on this forum and I am more taking issue with the ad and not him. It's well within the bounds of good behavior to do so. He and other representatives from his company have called me on behavior that they deemed innappropriate and I am doing that as well. I don't think that they should be run those ads since the claims made are not fact. You can't say that your two products are the best on the planet when it is impossible to tell if they really are. I think that all manufacturers should get away from advertising hyperbole. Thanks.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave,
No offense, but Max was being kind by sticking to a 'forum' discussion. He can say what he wants in his ads (provided they are true) because he's
paying for them. I'm sure your ads don't say
"the DAC is a decent converter at a decent price if you want to make decent music"
No, they are peppered with superlatives.
Max has made a simple statement in his ads and it's one that I happen to agree with. The title of this thread is "Quick question about Apogee ad-16X/Da16X"
It does not refer to Benchmark or Lucid or Mytek and you don't see those guys lurking around, trying to find an opening in the conversation.
No biscuits for you!
peace,
chap
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
Dave,
No offense, but Max was being kind by sticking to a 'forum' discussion. He can say what he wants in his ads (provided they are true) because he's
paying for them. I'm sure your ads don't say
"the DAC is a decent converter at a decent price if you want to make decent music"
No, they are peppered with superlatives.
Max has made a simple statement in his ads and it's one that I happen to agree with. The title of this thread is "Quick question about Apogee ad-16X/Da16X"
It does not refer to Benchmark or Lucid or Mytek and you don't see those guys lurking around, trying to find an opening in the conversation.
No biscuits for you!
peace,
chap
Chap,

Your point is well taken, trust me. I just think that companies making high end products, which Apogee does, should be very careful about claiming to be the best. Certainly they make good products but the "best" is really a judgment call. In Mytek's ad they claim to be "one of the best" as their slogan. That's true, they are one of the best. Benchmark's ad had a quote from an engineer that claims that is the best dac that HE has ever heard, which is also fine as it's a customer making a claim based upon his own experience, and is being quoted with his permission. None of the other ads on Gearslutz are claiming to be the best and I think that's good simply because the right thing to do is to claim to be very good if you are, give the facts on what makes you good, and then let the people decide for themselves if your products is good enough for their work.

My point here is not to attack any one company, and I am sorry if it came across that way. Apogee makes fine products and should be very proud of their work. I just had an issue with that one ad and I have given my opinion on that. Thanks.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
semantics. I have had the mispleasure of
writing music for ads for many years.
Of course, the fruit of that labor is that I get to do cool records and buy great gear. An ad is an ad.
Some are clever, some are not but an ad is an ad.
The fact is that every advertiser, in any business,
finds a way to stay on point and speak to their target demographic. All ads make claims and use superlatives. As a person who has written copy for national jingles (it's been awhile), I would have to say that Max's Apogee ad is on point and clever
and easy to remember and even funny. I don't see it as being any less true than any other audio ad you've referred to. Just more memorable.
Worked on me
Hang in, everything is fine.
peace,
chap
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't think that there is or should be any difference in what a salesman or a marketing department says. They should both be the truth and therefore one and the same
I think that Max honestly believes that his (I know they're not really "his", but you know what I mean) are the best converters on the market right now. I imagine you feel the same way about yours. I don't take offense at that statement, which I know is a subjective and biased thing, just like I wouldn't take offense at a Dole ad claiming that their oranges are the most "luscious" when I ate a Del Monte orange last week that tasted more luscious to me than any Dole I've ever had...

As for something being "true" or not...I'm sure that if I were to call Max and ask him what made an Rosetta better than an 828, he would be able to tell me where they cut corners with parts, specs and so on and where Apogee didn't...all factual stuff, not subjective stuff (I'm sure he could find lots of subjective things as well, don't get me wrong). This would be "true", but not necessarily something appropriate for a public forum (or an ad, for that matter).

If you take issue with his ad, why not just call him on that, rather than by diverting a thread off topic on a statement of his you really take no issue with?

-Duardo
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Duardo,

The factual stuff is what should be in an ad. It should say our product is better because it does "x" when the other products don't and it should be the truth. Some people say that specs don't mean a thing but there are specs that mean a lot and that's what should be in ads, not blanket statements. I brought it up in this thread simply because he made the statement that he doesn't say his converters are better then the others and I look up and see a banner ad from his company that uses the word "best". I'm not just picking on Apogee; tons of other companies do it, and I don't think that it should be done. I take no issue with their other ads that run on this forum. I am simply talking about one ad that was running on this site and that's how I feel about it. Thanks.
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave,
Of course you take issue with that add, it's your competition.
I don't see Max lurking around, ready to take up some semantic issue with you. He's here providing answers to specific questions about Apogee products.
You seem to be here (this thread) to define what
advertising is. Is it spec sheets? Boring. 'Important' specs? Subjective and therefore invalid according to your definition.
I'm guessing that your expertise is in making converters. I think you should keep it up.

Advertising and semantics? That's another thread
and probably a different forum. (try 'Clientopia', you'll laugh). I think you might want to put the cover back on Pandora's Box and tip toe away.
This thread has been officialy hijacked by you
and it just dont look good. Now, put the keyboard down.......that's it.....back away......real slow
and go about your business. There's nothing here for you to see.

Don't do it

Nope, put it away.

peace,
chap
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just wondering, but how exactly are we arriving at our definition of the "best"? is it the best by being most accurate convertor without coloring the sound? or is it quality of parts and durability? i hope that it's a combination of both, with more emphasis on being most accurate. After all if we're not hearing the original source after conversion accurately, what's the point? let's let the mics and preamps introduce color into our recordings, and our convertors convert audio as accurately as possible. If you're stuck with the color from a convertor every time you record, you're limiting yourself. you wouldn't want to record classical music with colored pres or convertors. for them, it's all about an accurate reproduction. if you've got accurate convertors, the possibilities are endless from classical to heavy metal. the bottom line is that whether you like color or accuracy, it's ultimately up to the consumers' ears to decide what is best for them. for some, color, for others, accuracy. because of this it's very hard for anyone to claim, Apogee or Benchmark, or anyone to claim they are best. I think Atticus' point is that no other company is claiming they are "the best". he wasn't saying that Apogee sucked, he simply said they can't really call themselves "the best". it's pretty cocky to just come out and say you're the best when it can't be proven.

disclaimer...Atticus is a very good friend of mine and we've worked together on several recordings. he's not the type to just cause problems because he's bored.
Old 27th October 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Max

That being said, there are certain criteria and design elements that effect the quality and performance of all converters. Power supply, analog section, clocking, filters...etc. All these things factor in to how well the converter is able to replicate the original analog signal. Since there is no such thing as a loss-less converter, the "art" of converter design becomes choosing where to take the loss and how to minimize it where it occurs.

For more on specifics, feel free to call me directly and I will be happy to discuss it in much more detail than I am willing to go into here (that invitation is open for anyone else as well). 310****5-1000

Thanks for responding. I would definitely like to know the specifics on these things you mention, and will being giving a call tomorrow morning (i work an 11-8 schedule which makes it hard to reach anybody on the west coast).

On the topic of some of the latter replies, I work for a company that does its fair share of questionable marketing (Dell), and as a salesman, it many times conflicts with our integrity in selling. I've wanted (along with team members) to physically harm some of that dept's leaders for some of the asinine decisons they've made that mislead potential customers and lessen our paychecks. But it really comes down to what a few have already said - everyone's marketing will say they're the best. I've had customers tell me that Emachines were the most reliable Pcs with the best service and support. I think to myself that these people shouldn't have money, that they should only get an allowance from a proper mental asylum ... but this is what they were told by Emachine salesman. Every buyer has to figure out for themselves who is the best, based on how much investigation they do, where they get the info, and how much they can spend. I was aware of Benchmark all this time, but I didn't know where to get good info on the products, aside from their own site. I would expect somewhere on that site, if I looked hard enough, to find the word "best" describing something. I would simply overlook it - its something that will probably never change (though we may want it too).

P.S Dave, if you have an 8 Balanced Input Interface (preferably firewire), i'd be happy to learn more about it from you or someone else with Benchmark.
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
. I would expect somewhere on that site, if I looked hard enough, to find the word "best" describing something. I would simply overlook it - its something that will probably never change (though we may want it too).

P.S Dave, if you have an 8 Balanced Input Interface (preferably firewire), i'd be happy to learn more about it from you or someone else with Benchmark.
If you happen to find it on our site let me know and I will beg and plead for it to be changed. Thanks.
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Again, this isn't about Atticu's asessment of the converters. It's that he's way off topic.

Read the title of the thread, then read the thread.

It's a very simple thing that should have gone away quickly.
No one wants to take a shot at Dave. He strikes me as an intelligent, good humoured guy.
That said, he chose the wrong war at the wrong time.
This thread is about Apogee converters NOT Apogee's perfectly good ad campaign.
If Dave has a problem with the campaign, he should, privately, take it up with Apogee.
And while Apogee is a small company with very high standards, they have to advertise.

This is not Mom and Dad's converters and McConverters. It's not Dave vs. Goliath.
it's Dave vs. an advertisement for great converters. He would be wise to avoid it and continue to make his products. He was neither singled out, mentioned or disparaged.

I could see getting all hot if this were, say, an election and Dave was upset because the President lied to us and led us into war.
Or, I could see him getting upset if this was a World Series and he was a Yankees fan.
But it's neither of those off topic subjects.
So (watch me hijack the thread) let's all vote Kerry because I think he uses AD16X converters so we get the truth.
Who knows what brand W uses but it sure isn't accurate conversion .

So......About those Apogees? Sound great and this is a thread to get your Apogee questions answered. Someone else can start a Benchmark Q+A and I'll bet Max will be at work
doing his usual dignified, informative and nonintrusive job. Dave can answer the Bencmark questions in his own capable way.

Are we done? Somebody tell me 'yes!'.
peace (starting here)
chap
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I didn't chime in the first time because I thought this was finished. The Aogee ad is cheeky and catchy, at least for a gear ad (not a very high bar). It's rhetoric, not a throw down. You might as well argue that if you use a Mac are you really "thinking different". (you might even criticize the grammer)

In any case, it has nothing to do with this thread. The Apogee guy was above reproach. Lighten up.

So what do you think. Sox end it tomorrow?

These are exciting times.

-R
Old 27th October 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I agree with this, and what everyone else is saying (except Atticus, who should never have started this bs... shame on you). As for the Apogee ad, absolutely true as far as I'm concerned. I used to use Prisms until I heard the AD and DA16Xs. Now I own these. Best converters I have ever heard. And yes, Telecastr, this is based on accuracy from the analog source without color. And as to whether the Rosetta 800 is worth $1200 dollars more than the MOTU 828.... That's a no-brainer. MSYNO, I suggest you take Max's advice and try it out.

To Max: Any update on when version 2.0 of the AD and DA16X firmware will be out?
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm afraid that those of us in New England
(while grateful for the support of people from various parts of the country) are not comfortable predicting the outcome of the Series until sometime in January. My father is (like me)
a life long Sox fan. His philosophy is
" If we can keep this lead until the end of the game, we might be ok" I'm just realizing that they actually beat the Yankees.
Go Sox (please)

Thanks R, maybe tonight, y'know, if they win, which they could.

peace,
from the desk of Mr. (Diamonds last pretty long)
AdGuy
Old 27th October 2004
Max
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ToddS

To Max: Any update on when version 2.0 of the AD and DA16X firmware will be out?
End of November.
Old 27th October 2004
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Max,

Regarding ADC with the X-HD cards and Rosetta, someone on the Digi forum recently stated that he'd been in touch with Apogee, and posted the following:

"I contacted Apogee regarding this issue. They were responsive and helpful. I'll reproduce the response here:

The X-HD card does not implement ADC for the time being, though we are planning to incorporate it
in a future firmware release."

Is this now a definite future addition? When I spoke to someone at Apogee last week, they'd said it was being considered, but that the final decision had been made yet.

Also, if this to be added, I take it it'd be in a release later than the forthcoming v2.0 update -- right?

Thanks so much.
Old 27th October 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Again, this isn't about Atticu's asessment of the converters. It's that he's way off topic.
It's almost funny that it's not really Atticus who has posted most of the offtopic material on this thread.

Without taking any person's side, his points are very valid and shouldn't be disregarded.

Spacey
Old 27th October 2004
Max
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by GCL
Max,

Regarding ADC with the X-HD cards and Rosetta, someone on the Digi forum recently stated that he'd been in touch with Apogee, and posted the following:

"I contacted Apogee regarding this issue. They were responsive and helpful. I'll reproduce the response here:

The X-HD card does not implement ADC for the time being, though we are planning to incorporate it
in a future firmware release."

Is this now a definite future addition? When I spoke to someone at Apogee last week, they'd said it was being considered, but that the final decision had been made yet.

Also, if this to be added, I take it it'd be in a release later than the forthcoming v2.0 update -- right?

Thanks so much.
We are still considering it. In the meantime, it is important to note that the only time when ADC is critical in regards to hardware is when creating hardware inserts on individual tracks of a multi-tracked source, such as drums. We recommend using the TimeAdjuster plug-in for the moment. To determine the amount to enter in TimeAdjuster, do the following.

1) Find a sound with an easily identifiable transient spike and rout and record it to a second audio track. Zoom in to the waveform, and determine the delay in samples between the playback spike and the recorded spike.

2) Create the hardware insert and record the spike again, determining once again the delay between the playback and record.

3) Subtract the second delay from the first, thus giving the amount of delay introduced by the hardware insert. Enter this value into the TimeAdjuster plug-in.

It is also important to note that ADC for plug-ins is not effected by hardware.
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by chap

Thanks R, maybe tonight, y'know, if they win, which they could.

peace,
from the desk of Mr. (Diamonds last pretty long)
AdGuy
They could win.

Although the guy in the dugout with the broom could have jinxed it. But can you jinx a curse?

And to bring it back to audio, am I the only one who is totally annoyed by the sound effect that Fox adds to each pitch? (Especially since it's slightly out of synch about half the time.) The pitch itself isn't dramatic enough?

-R
Old 27th October 2004
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Max,
Here's a situation where I'm noticing a delay. I have a Tube Tech SMC-2B and Summit Dual Program EQ on my mix buss (bus 1-2 from ProTools going out Analog 3-4 of the Rosetta to the Tube Tech/Summit and back into Analog 3-4 IN on the Rosetta). Yesterday I donned a pair of headphones and played and recorded a marimba track. My U87 goes into a mic pre and then into input 5 on the Rosetta. When I record, I can hear a flam between the actual mallet strike and what's coming back into my headphones that I never got with my Digi 192. If I bypass the mix buss analog step, the flam delay is reduced, but still recognizable and distracting. I'm wondering if I should have kept my 192D Digital I/O and just use the Rosetta as a front end to that without the X-HD card. Thanks.

revised by GCL 10/27/04: This situation is ONLY happening when using Digital Prerformer as a front end to Pro Tools. It does NOT happen when using Pro Tools software. I should have checked this before I made this post. I just repeated the same test using Pro Tools software and could not notice any latency at all. Sorry for the false alarm.
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey R,
I'm with you. Fox has made it impossible for kids to dig the Series.
And the 'run scored' sprinkle. Corporate much?
How's this for off topic? I'm gonna, yep, I'm gonna use an emoticon

I don't know what it means but I'm using it.
chap
Old 27th October 2004
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
referring to my previous post: This situation is ONLY happening when using Digital Prerformer as a front end to Pro Tools. It does NOT happen when using Pro Tools software. I should have checked this before I made that post. I just repeated the same test using Pro Tools software and could not notice any latency at all. Sorry for the false alarm.
πŸ“ Reply