The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet vs. M-Audio FW410
Old 20th February 2008
Gear interested

Apogee Duet vs. M-Audio FW410

Hi

Am thinking of getting the apogee duet.
Disregarding the difference in track counts etc... Will I notice a real improvement as far as monitoring is concerned over the M-Audio 410 I have at the moment?

I don't do much recording, just the odd guitar part, so can get away with just the 2in 2out, am really trying to find out if the converters are that much better.

Many Thanks
Old 20th February 2008
YES!!
The ADC and DAC are much higher quality than the M-audio box,

I think you will notice a very big improvement in depth, tone and the general "size" of the audio.

Plus, it offers WAY cooler features, with the MIDI assignable control, that can be anything you want inside DAW land, for example; Master fader, pan control, song position, record arm...whatever you want dude.
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

I've never used the 410, but I will say I think the Duet's converters sound great. They blow my Mbox2 out of the water. To me, the Duet sounds very clear and the Mbox2 sounded like there was a blanket over the monitors.
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

The Duet sounds better than my 002R as well.
Old 20th February 2008
Gear Head

I'd see if you can do a home trial first so you can hear for yourself.
I recently tried an Ensemble and didn't like it compared to my M-Audio ProjectMix. There's a long thread on that test on this site. If you read it and others you will also note how some people really tend to push certain products, so bear that in mind very carefully.
It's always best to listen for yourself. Good luck!
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

I can only truthfully speak for the D/A, but I have a lightbridge and I think I'd be hard pressed to find a unit with worse D/A than that. The Duet D/A is great.

Check out topcatz thread, but I strongly feel there were some other problems with the test, like unmatched levels, different mic distances, and the extra detail of the Ensemble A/D picking up the nastiness of the room he was in. Good A/D can be startling at first, but is so welcome once you get accustomed to it and it comes time to mix.
Old 20th February 2008
Gear Maniac

I 've got both.
Consider the m-audio as a toy.
Old 20th February 2008
Gear interested

Thanks all for replies.

I think that settles it for the duet then.
don't think a demo is an option. I haven't even seen an add for it in the shops in london, let alone a unit to take home and try in my room.

will just have to take a chance I think.

Many Thanks
Old 20th February 2008
Gear nut

I made the exact same thread a month ago or something and bought a duet after that. Very happy I did! You will definately notice the difference.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search