The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSX-100 and Digi 001
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

PSX-100 and Digi 001 w/ PowerMac

This might be old news to some of you, but I figured out how to get two digital connections to my Digi 001 by using the Apogee PSX-100 as an ADAT device.

Here's what I did.

I set my Apogee to ADAT and connected it to the Digi 001 optical I/0s. I set the clock (external sync) to Optical from the setup menu of the Playback Engine and in further options, I selected ADAT. I also deselected S/PDIF mirroring.

I connected the Lexicon PCM91 to the S/PDIF coaxials of the Digi 001. Then I went to I/O setup to see where everything was. ADAT 1&2 ran on I/O 9&10, and S/PDIF ran on 17&18 I/Os.

So, I set sound output to ADAT 1&2 (really 9&10) then made an insert and selected 17&18, where the Lexicon was hooked up. I got sound to my monitors through the ADAT optical connection and reverb through the Lexicon.

So far, so good.

I fired up the preamp and set up a track to record. It worked, and the D/A on the Apogee worked as well. Recording my test vocal, I put the Lexicon as a plugin insert again, and that worked too.

I keep thinking there must be a catch. Maybe I'm not really clocking to the Apogee after all and it's defaulting to Pro Tools internal. Thing is, though, I selected Optical external so I think I am. clocking to the PSX-100. It's not like I'm running two S/PDIFs -- that's not allowed. So... I must be actually faking two channels of ADAT from my Apogee PSX-100.

True, I can't get the other 6 channels of ADAT to work, but that's probably because the PSX-100 only carries two channels. Hell, I don't mind, just give me ONE great outboard digital reverb connected digitally.

I'm pretty jazzed. I can record and playback from Optical (ADAT), run the low-jitter clock from my psuedo ADAT, and connect the Lexicon reverb to the S/PDIF coaxial.

Of course, the catch is you have to pony up for some expensive A/D D/A converters to pull it off. But since I already spent a ton of money on them anyway, I pretty much justified the expense last night.

Jasper
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear