The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProFire 2626
Old 3rd December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Stop the presses!

wow...

does that mean I can go out SPDIF optical from my outboard reverb into mini-toslink on my iMac and get some sort of signal routed that way as a return in ProTools while still using the ProFire 2626 as my main device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins ➡️
with the aggregate device editor, you can use multiple firewire, usb, or internal interfaces together, it makes no difference the brand. As long as you provide a common clock, you're good. Of course, this doesn't work with pt8 or earlier. Pt9 now supports coreaudio devices. They don't cascade in the dsp mixer though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One annoying thing from my 2626 is that I can't see all 26 inputs. Does anyone have a work around? I have used 23 or 24 inputs at a time and have need to hear and blend them accordingly when a full band is tracking, so if it has 26 inputs, why can't you see all of them from the control panel at once?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
One annoying thing from my 2626 is that I can't see all 26 inputs. Does anyone have a work around? I have used 23 or 24 inputs at a time and have need to hear and blend them accordingly when a full band is tracking, so if it has 26 inputs, why can't you see all of them from the control panel at once?
The DSP mixer is only 16 channels I believe.
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

18, I believe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH ➡️
18, I believe.
Yeah, and that sux...royally...say later on I want to add a profire lightbridge into the extra FW port, I can't see any of those either, unless I use 2 control panels, which will probably be glitchy as hell.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellwolff ➡️
wow...

does that mean I can go out SPDIF optical from my outboard reverb into mini-toslink on my iMac and get some sort of signal routed that way as a return in ProTools while still using the ProFire 2626 as my main device?
pro tools 9 might allow that since it's open to coreaudio now. does your outboard verb have a way to receive wordclock?
The catch here is making sure every device can stay synced to a common clock source. If you can slave your verb to a wordclock in common with the 2626, then you can slave the onboard audiocard in your imac to the verb digital signal. Now they would all have a common clock. Otherwise, there is an option on your mac to resample all incoming digital connections that are part of the aggregate device. In your Audio/midi setup, the audio file menu will have an option for aggregate device editor. Once you have created your aggregate device, you can click the radio button to the left of the device that you want your mac to resample and lock other streams to.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
putting on geek cap... re-reading...

;-)

the Verb DOES right now lock to my 2626 clock via optical connection.

so, potentially it will work.

the only thing that sucks is i used to work a lot in 88.2. the Verb only supports 44.1, 48, and 96. :-{

Quote:
pro tools 9 might allow that since it's open to coreaudio now. does your outboard verb have a way to receive wordclock?
The catch here is making sure every device can stay synced to a common clock source. If you can slave your verb to a wordclock in common with the 2626, then you can slave the onboard audiocard in your imac to the verb digital signal. Now they would all have a common clock. Otherwise, there is an option on your mac to resample all incoming digital connections that are part of the aggregate device. In your Audio/midi setup, the audio file menu will have an option for aggregate device editor. Once you have created your aggregate device, you can click the radio button to the left of the device that you want your mac to resample and lock other streams to.
Old 4th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
check out this screenshot. Here's what you will need to do to be able to use your built in device and your profire at the same time with daws that allow aggregate devices.
Attached Thumbnails
ProFire 2626-picture-1.png  
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
funny... there are some really well known Nashville guys using this 2626 unit for daily work. Nice to see you among them :-)

Quote:
check out this screenshot. Here's what you will need to do to be able to use your built in device and your profire at the same time with daws that allow aggregate devices.
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Trying to figure out how to run the 16 channels @ 88/96 kHz. I have all four toslink cables connected and the control panel is set up to the best of my knowledge. I still only get the 12 channels in at 88/96. All 16 if I record at 44/48. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Using pro tools 9 on windows 7. Any ideas?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz ➡️
Trying to figure out how to run the 16 channels @ 88/96 kHz. I have all four toslink cables connected and the control panel is set up to the best of my knowledge. I still only get the 12 channels in at 88/96. All 16 if I record at 44/48. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Using pro tools 9 on windows 7. Any ideas?
To be clear, you are using smux to get a total of 8 digital inputs with the two optical connections, then the analog inputs for the remainder?

Do all 16 show up in your I/O settings? When I posted that it was possible to get [email protected], I only set it up that way and looked to see if pro tools recognized 16 inputs. It did, and greyed out 17 and 18 that I have set up in my I/O template.

I have not actually ever recorded more than 8 @ 96, but it sure looks possible. I have mine set up with the two adat ports first, then analog (in the routing section of m-audio's panel) I will attempt it myself here in a few days and report back. I might be mistaken. It may show up but not pass audio.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
funny... there are some really well known Nashville guys using this 2626 unit for daily work. Nice to see you among them :-)
Thanks! It's the heart of my setup, although I don't know how well known I am...
I look forward to getting pt9 and being able to use a macbook to send 26 channels of audio to my desk. 18 is enough for most anything, but those extra 8 would sure give a lot more flexibility.
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins

To be clear, you are using smux to get a total of 8 digital inputs with the two optical connections, then the analog inputs for the remainder?

Do all 16 show up in your I/O settings? When I posted that it was possible to get [email protected], I only set it up that way and looked to see if pro tools recognized 16 inputs. It did, and greyed out 17 and 18 that I have set up in my I/O template.

I have not actually ever recorded more than 8 @ 96, but it sure looks possible. I have mine set up with the two adat ports first, then analog (in the routing section of m-audio's panel) I will attempt it myself here in a few days and report back. I might be mistaken. It may show up but not pass audio.
Haven't tried switching the ports I'll give that a try. Yes, it is in smux II. I also set it as smux IV but I believe that's just for 176/192. thanks!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
indeed. we still have to grab coffee. ummm, GS thread related coffee... so as to be relevant and post-worthy.

Quote:
Thanks! It's the heart of my setup, although I don't know how well known I am...
I look forward to getting pt9 and being able to use a macbook to send 26 channels of audio to my desk. 18 is enough for most anything, but those extra 8 would sure give a lot more flexibility.
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...the only thing that sucks is i used to work a lot in 88.2. the Verb only supports 44.1, 48, and 96...
My recent experiments have shown no advantage to 88.2 over 96 in the final 44.1 audio like there was a decade ago.

In fact some plug-ins sound better to me at 48k or 96k than they do at 88.2! I'll grant that any shortcomings at 88.2 are most likely a software bug.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
indeed. we still have to grab coffee. ummm, GS thread related coffee... so as to be relevant and post-worthy.
for sure. That reminds me, I can't wait until the Gearslutz coffee mugs are back in stock.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bob,
You pop up in some the most unusual places here I wouldn't have expected you to be lurking on this thread. Thanks for your insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
My recent experiments have shown no advantage to 88.2 over 96 in the final 44.1 audio like there was a decade ago.

In fact some plug-ins sound better to me at 48k or 96k than they do at 88.2! I'll grant that any shortcomings at 88.2 are most likely a software bug.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
When Bob talks... people best listen!

Bob, see you next week! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️

Old 6th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tried and tried this weekend but failed miserably. I have all 16 channels showing up in the profire's control panel/mixer, but Pro Tools refuses to see anything pass the first 12. It sees the 8 analog inputs from the main unit, then 4 through the second unit thru ADAT A. The last four inputs thru ADAT B (13-16) will not work in pro tools 9. It's obviously being passed through the firewire i'm assuming since i can get a signal on 13-16 in the control panel. Maybe Pro Tools 9 doesn't support this?
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Supposedly on the Mac side everything is fine, but on the windows side, there is a bug that disables channels 13-16 and puts them as 17-20. Weird. Anyways, haven't tested it yet but the guys from the m-audio forum got it figured this out after testing.
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz ➡️
Supposedly on the Mac side everything is fine, but on the windows side, there is a bug that disables channels 13-16 and puts them as 17-20. Weird. Anyways, haven't tested it yet but the guys from the m-audio forum got it figured this out after testing.
Great troubleshooting!
That's really useful info. Thanks for sharing, mate!
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins

Great troubleshooting!
That's really useful info. Thanks for sharing, mate!
You're welcome! Not a big issue but I do hope they fix it. More annoying than anything. It works fine, just channel 13 is really 17, 14 is 18, etc.
Old 23rd June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Profire, Macbook Pro and Pro Tools 9

Hey guys!

I have a Profire and love it. I use it on PC with no problems. I recently got a Macbook Pro ( 2.4 Core to Duo, 4 gig Ram ) with Pro Tools 9 and Logic Pro 9 for portable recording setups. No issues with the Profire and Mac but when a record through the Profire into Pro Tools 9 it takes about a minute (the colorful spinning wheel) before the recording starts but in Logic it is instant and quick, no problem.

When I go and record my drummer I would really like to record to Pro Tools rather than Logic as I love to work in Pro Tools.

What can this be?
I have nothing connected to the Profire. It's not buffer settings and I use an external hard drive.
Maybe something I don't know about?
I thought my CPU is to small but there's no problem in Logic.
Why does Pro Tools take so long to respond?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th July 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Profire....ok so i read many posts about this issue but still dont get it.
In pro tools I have my master set to -0.5 using an L2
why is 17-18 'software return" so damn hot???
the project I am working on doesn't allow my to 'turn it down in the DAW" so why cant this box and control panel reflect exact output of pro tools???
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

my new 2626 brings me some thoughts after tc konnekt 24, i realised that ad/da stage almost kills the sound of my analogue synths after comparisons with direct headphones out on synths. ok, i noticed that DA on 2626 after Konnekt24 sounds worse - something bad happens with midrange. at this moment i cannot test da and ad independently with another soundcard..can someone tell is this **** happens in ad or da stage or they are both mehh...i planning to return my konnekt 24 for DA and ADAT but dont want to realize that AD on 2626 also unusable for recording analogue synths..thx
Old 19th July 2017
Gear Maniac

going crazy.. i noticed that something annoying me when my synths goes through "ad/da-> headphones" of profire 2626....after a little test i noticed a strange behavior at different samplrates..test : synth -> analog in ->headphones and changing 44-48-88-96 and so on (in pauses listening from direct headphone out on synth for clean signal reset in head)
, at 48 and 88 there is a little bit extra something strange like resonances or something else in the upper mid/high frequencies which irritates and tired ears..at 44 and 96 I don't feel it, confused what exactly gives such an effect..I dont want to record at 44 but 96 is to much for system
never noticed this effect before, looks like I'll have to buy another soundcard for testing da conversion... has anyone noticed something similar????????
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Maniac

so, my friend told to check the amplifier on headphones(because I tested 2626 through headphones) and found that the amplifier distorts the sound .
after connecting headphones through the controller /directly into Y-adapter 2mono*stereo, everything was fine.
I strongly recommend not to use the headphone output on 2626 it distorts the sound narrows the stereo and inadequately represents high frequency.
strange, but nobody talks about it
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
2x 2626 here, I use those boxes with win10 and ubuntu. I'll upgrade someday, but there's no urgent need to. They have been good and stable interfaces!
Old 28th December 2019
Here for the gear

Is it possible to bypass its internal preamps by using these 1/4 instrument cable inputs? Or what is the best way to use some other lets say GAP external mic preamp and bypass 2626 preamp?
Old 28th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yup! I used to plug in my Daking Mic Pre IVstraight into the back of the PF. That’s one of the great features about it. Wish more brands did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator ➡️
Is it possible to bypass its internal preamps by using these 1/4 instrument cable inputs? Or what is the best way to use some other lets say GAP external mic preamp and bypass 2626 preamp?
📝 Reply