The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProFire 2626
Old 15th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got 2 of these recently to use exclusively as utility preamps, replacing the pres in a console I had that died. I have no intention of hooking up the FW, or even using the digital connections. I just have the direct analog outs going into my converters. I got these because the pres are purported to be of good quality and they also boasted 75dB of gain. I'm finding out that there's no 75dB of gain in these, though the sound is surprisingly good.

But I have a bigger problem- Using them in stand-alone mode, I'm definitely getting latency between the input and the output. Can this be true? Do they actually go through A/D, and then D/A through the direct outputs, even in stand-alone preamp only mode?

I suspected there was something weird when I had to hook them up into the computer to put them in stand-alone, and discovered that high sample rates cut the channel count.

I've contacted M-Audio several times. They always tell me something, but they never answer that question. I hope it's not too late to take them back.
Old 15th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
track counts - sample rates

keeping in mind, i have never used the unit in stand alone mode so I cannot comment on that part...

But... I can comment to say that it is VERY common for many pieces of gear from several manufacturers to cut the track count in half when you use high sample rates (88.2k, 96k) as opposed to 44.1k or 48k. It is a firewire bus throughput issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
discovered that high sample rates cut the channel count.

I've contacted M-Audio several times. They always tell me something, but they never answer that question. I hope it's not too late to take them back.
Old 27th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Smile When can I "switch on" and "switch off" the Profire?

Hello! I have a question.

In the manual it says that you should switch off your PC before disconnecting the Profire.

What about just turning the profire on and off?
Do i have to shut down my computer, switch "on" the Profire, startup my pc every time I want to start recording when the PC is already on
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You're never supposed to power down a fw device before ejecting it first.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellwolff View Post
keeping in mind, i have never used the unit in stand alone mode so I cannot comment on that part...

But... I can comment to say that it is VERY common for many pieces of gear from several manufacturers to cut the track count in half when you use high sample rates (88.2k, 96k) as opposed to 44.1k or 48k. It is a firewire bus throughput issue.
prospective owners will be happy to know that all 8 internal preamps function at all sample rates... and you can actually get up to 16 i/o at 88/96k by using the 8 analog and smux the adat i/o for an additional 8 with external conversion and preamps. This is the only way I know of to get 16 channels of 96k i/o with pro tools 8 (non-HD) or lower. Of course, pt9 is a game changer...
Old 29th November 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
Are these people that you quote complaining about BSODs the ones that convinced you to buy the 2626? You already said you did your research before buying.... clearly you are full of it.

I, however, don't use winxp, and therefore had nothing to worry about when I read the complaints people had before buying my unit. It's been smooth sailing since day 1.

slutz, this guy is a tool, and this will be my last post in response to him. I urge you to do the same and just let him get tired of talking to himself or let the mod give him the boot if he continues to be a troll.
I don't undertand why some people do this kind of thing and come just to speak bad in forums you know. I worked my musik on a studio one time and the enginner had profire 2626 and it sounded magnifique. If all equipments are conected good I think no problems happens. You also right about the "tool guy" when i searched his user handle with gearslutz in google i finded lot of things of him and i noticed he is very cruel with a mastering enginner i use. Please forgive my bad english. Peace and love!

///TOM\\\
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
I got 2 of these recently to use exclusively as utility preamps, replacing the pres in a console I had that died. I have no intention of hooking up the FW, or even using the digital connections. I just have the direct analog outs going into my converters. I got these because the pres are purported to be of good quality and they also boasted 75dB of gain. I'm finding out that there's no 75dB of gain in these, though the sound is surprisingly good.

But I have a bigger problem- Using them in stand-alone mode, I'm definitely getting latency between the input and the output. Can this be true? Do they actually go through A/D, and then D/A through the direct outputs, even in stand-alone preamp only mode?

I suspected there was something weird when I had to hook them up into the computer to put them in stand-alone, and discovered that high sample rates cut the channel count.

No you cannot use them like a normal 8 channel pre. They will not bypass the ADA conversions. The outputs are simply for converting digital signals back to analog.
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins

prospective owners will be happy to know that all 8 internal preamps function at all sample rates... and you can actually get up to 16 i/o at 88/96k by using the 8 analog and smux the adat i/o for an additional 8 with external conversion and preamps. This is the only way I know of to get 16 channels of 96k i/o with pro tools 8 (non-HD) or lower. Of course, pt9 is a game changer...
I have two profires and pro tools 9. In order to get all 16 channels at 88/96 do you just need to plug in all 4 adat cables? Right now I just have the 2 adat cables plugged in and it allows me 12 channels total.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
I have two profires and pro tools 9. In order to get all 16 channels at 88/96 do you just need to plug in all 4 adat cables? Right now I just have the 2 adat cables plugged in and it allows me 12 channels total.
if you want ins and outs, yes

matt
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
There is another way... The M-Audio Profire Lightbridge can get 16 x 96k i/o

Technically it's better since you can use any converter with smux out.
Old 30th November 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
You're never supposed to power down a fw device before ejecting it first.
From the manual:

Quote:
Hot-plugging (i e , connecting the FireWire cable while
the interface is powered on) may have adverse effects
on your ProFire 2626 and/or your computer
and from their site:

Quote:
Reports have come to our attention of isolated problems when hot-plugging IEEE 1394 (aka “FireWire”) devices. (Hot-plugging refers to making 1394/FireWire connections when one or more of the devices—including the computer—is on.)

When hot-plugging, there are rare occurrences where either the FireWire peripheral or the FireWire port on the host computer is rendered permanently inoperable. While M-Audio products adhere rigidly to the FireWire industry standard and pass stringent internal testing, the possibility remains that hot-plugging your M-Audio FireWire interface with some computers may result in the type of problem described here.

We strongly encourage you to protect your equipment by refraining from hot-plugging any bus-powered FireWire device, including the M-Audio family of FireWire products. Connect your FireWire device while both the computer and FireWire device are powered off. Power on the FireWire device, then turn the computer on last. If you are using bus power (systems with IEEE1394 6-pin connectors) make sure you make the cable connection first, then turn the FireWire device power switch on, and turn the computer system on last.

For a technical explanation about how hot-plugging a firewire device can damage the host or the device, please read this documentation by Texas Intruments. http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slea072a/slea072a.pdf
Although admittedly these are about plugging, not unplugging..

Matt
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofantares View Post

good catch.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
A tad bit off topic...
Since Pro Tools 9 says it works with any third party interface/converter, can the Profire 2626 run on PT9LE or does it have to be PT9MP (since it's a M-Audio product)?

I was wondering because I saw that buying an M-box mini w/ PT9LE included is cheaper than buying the software & interface alone & I wanted a portable rig I could take with me & keep my Profire 2626 @ home in my rack.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_i View Post
A tad bit off topic...
Since Pro Tools 9 says it works with any third party interface/converter, can the Profire 2626 run on PT9LE or does it have to be PT9MP (since it's a M-Audio product)?

I was wondering because I saw that buying an M-box mini w/ PT9LE included is cheaper than buying the software & interface alone & I wanted a portable rig I could take with me & keep my Profire 2626 @ home in my rack.
I don't know for sure, but I would be very surprised if you couldn't do this

matt
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_i View Post
A tad bit off topic...

There is no PT9LE or PT9MP. There is only PT9 and PT9 HD. So it should be possible. Check that it's really PT9 that's shipped with the MBox though, cause many retailers still list PT8 with the LE interfaces.
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Correct, there is no le or mp. It's just pro tools 9. And I use two profires with it flawlessly. Just ordered two more toslink cables, hopefully I'll be able to get the full 16 channels at 88/96.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
+1 That is correct.

And also, anyone advertising PT9 as coming WITH any MBox Mini is either lying OR re-selling. It does NOT ship with any of the M-Boxes.

The "LE" is a giveaway there, since there is no such thing.

Quote:
Correct, there is no le or mp. It's just pro tools 9. And I use two profires with it flawlessly. Just ordered two more toslink cables, hopefully I'll be able to get the full 16 channels at 88/96.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The M-Audio Profire 2626 is an awesome interface! I bought one and the routing capabilities are vast. You can route other interfaces or pre-amps to it via ADAT and with PT 9, (depending how you route) you may record up to 24 mics simultaneously! (With that one Profire.)
So it’s great for both versatility and your wallet.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrichner View Post
The M-Audio Profire 2626 is an awesome interface! I bought one and the routing capabilities are vast. You can route other interfaces or pre-amps to it via ADAT and with PT 9, (depending how you route) you may record up to 24 mics simultaneously! (With that one Profire.)
So it’s great for both versatility and your wallet.
Have they fixed the problem where you could only monitor one set of ADAT inputs at a time with the monitoring software? That, along with flaky drivers, was a deal killer for me early on, so I sold it and got a Metric Halo 2882.
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz

Have they fixed the problem where you could only monitor one set of ADAT inputs at a time with the monitoring software? That, along with flaky drivers, was a deal killer for me early on, so I sold it and got a Metric Halo 2882.
Never had problems with mine. Windows 7 64 bit, drivers are rock solid.
Old 3rd December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofantares View Post

If you have (2) 2626's, can't you daisy-chain the FW & run all 16 on-board channels through the FW @ 96k instead of connecting one to the other via adat/smux?

Couldn't you also then connect 8 more channels to each via smux and get total 32 channels at 96k?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you have (2) 2626's, can't you daisy-chain the FW & run all 16 on-board channels through the FW @ 96k instead of connecting one to the other via adat/smux?

Couldn't you also then connect 8 more channels to each via smux and get total 32 channels at 96k?
yes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I don't see why not, as long as you also connect their wordclock connections as well so they will sync up properly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

and also gain the use of the DSP mixer for latency issues...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Did I miss something? Since when has there been a daisychain option via FW for two or more 2626?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
aggregate device editor in mac coreaudio is one way...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
and also gain the use of the DSP mixer for latency issues...
I don't know what this means, you get the mixer anyways with just one unit. I doubt the mixer will see more than one unit's 26 inputs. Besides, the mixing doesn't happen in the software, it happens onboard the device, that's how you get near zero latency. The software only controls the device's onboard routing capabilities. If the software only works with one device at a time, (my guess is it will be the one closest to the computer) then you have no way of controlling the onboard dsp of the second device, no matter the configuration.
The channels should all show up in your daw though, as long as it's one that supports coreaudio or aggregate devices. [email protected], [email protected] that's an awfully big data load for a 400 bus though. I would proceed with low expectations, especially when you start connecting hard drives to that bus too.
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ProFire 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner
Did I miss something? Since when has there been a daisychain option via FW for two or more 2626?
As far as I know you can't. At least that's what it says in the manual.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As far as I know you can't. At least that's what it says in the manual.
Yes, that´s exactly what my information was, too.
But maybe recordinghopkins way about the core audio manager works.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
with the aggregate device editor, you can use multiple firewire, usb, or internal interfaces together, it makes no difference the brand. As long as you provide a common clock, you're good. Of course, this doesn't work with pt8 or earlier. Pt9 now supports coreaudio devices. They don't cascade in the dsp mixer though.
📝 Reply