The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools DAE error ****31
Old 8th January 2008
Gear Head

Pro Tools DAE error ****31

Hi guys any one had this problem,

I just put some sessions on my Lacie drive from my Power Mac G5 to take home and edit on my Mac book Pro. When I open the session from the HD they play back fine but as soon as I copy they files to the laptops hard drive, nothing will playback and this error message appears 9131.

Any clues?
Old 8th January 2008
Gear Addict

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=26466 this might be it but also make sure in workspaces that your internal drive is setup as a valid playback volume
Old 8th January 2008
Gear Head

Cheers for that! Just giving it a go!
Old 8th March 2009
Gear Head

Thumbs up Dae error 9131 /i figured it out !!!!

For all those of you pulling their hair as I did for 3 days straight, I did it –FIGURED IT OUT! I had the same problem> I pulled out a DVD backup session from one of my clients and dragged it over to my recording drive to re-edit a few tracks. Sure enough, "DAE ERROR 9131" the session wouldn’t nudge. No playback or nothing! It actually started doing it with the sessions already on my drive and on other drives!

After pulling my hair out for nearly 3 days and doing everything I’ve learned in my Mac & PT days, including reading the posts here and everywhere else, with the help of a great friend and a Mc Giver in this field, we figured it out. I want to share this with all of you in the hopes of saving those with this same issue, the nightmare a few others and I have gone thru.

Here it is……………….

******MAKE SURE TO BACK EVERYTHING UP BEFOR CONTINUIBG***
  1. You must reformat the drive with Disk Utility and select the partition option, even though you only need 1 partition.
  2. Before you format, make sure you select "PARTITION" and not "ERASE” Under the menu choices above.
  3. On the bottom of the window under “OPTIONS” make sure you click it and select “apple partition map”
  4. Close this option and click on “PARTITION”
  5. Your drive is now ready and should work fine but…this is very important. You must open the sessions you were having problems with (DAE 9131) and under the file menu in Pro tools select “SAVE SESSION COPY IN” make sure you’ve selected in the pop up window “copy audio”. Before saving the session make sure and select as the destination the drive you just formatted.

That’s it. Hope it helps.
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Even if the drive is formatted properly you may have problems. I just spent 2hrs getting to the root of the problem - which I can't remember where I read about it (in a brief BTW mention), but was confirmed with a phone call...
Anyway, even if you format the drive properly, if the drive is partitioned with the GUID partition map and not the mac partition map you MAY experience the 9131 error. If you're working on a PPC, you'll most likely see the error immediately. You will need to repartition which includes reformatting the drive. If you're on an Intel Mac, you may be lucky and not get an error.... Until you partition the drive . If you put 1, 2 or 3 partitions while on an Intel Mac you may be fine. If you make 4 or more partitions, you will get the nice 9131 error if you try to record onto anything other than partition 1, 2 or 3.

Digi's error description leaves a bunch of this info out. Information is very useful and I hate when digi give only a brief explanation: Digidesign | Support | DAE Error ****31 or ****36 when trying to playback session from firewire drive
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Head

Thanks for the input

This is what its all about. Everyone sharing their experiences with others in order to make situations like this one and similar, less painful. Even though
does there best to keep us all informed and out of trouble, we may often stumble on problems like this one (which by the way still is not resolved)

I urge anyone reading this link to please consider sharing any info you may have ,bad or good and post it here. it only takes a few minutes and you may be saving other members days of desperation and anguish, more so in a professional situation where time is money. Good luck to all and thanks for reading.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

I had this problem and the instructions above sorted it for me. I was still flummoxed as to how the one drive got partitioned using the GUID format, but then I remembered that I had formatted it on a mac running OS 10.5. I believe Disk Utility in 10.5 defaults to the GUID partition scheme, as this is what is used for a startup disk on a computer with an Intel processor. If you then try to use the disk for Protools playback on a computer running 10.4, you may have the problem. Thanks for the info, all.
Old 13th February 2011
Here for the gear

Thumbs up DAE ****31 sorted

Thanks to all the members and especially noize who posted on this issue. It struck right in the middle of session - luckily I had everything backed up and was able to fix without any more trouble.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for this info! it worked flawlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
For all those of you pulling their hair as I did for 3 days straight, I did it –FIGURED IT OUT! I had the same problem> I pulled out a DVD backup session from one of my clients and dragged it over to my recording drive to re-edit a few tracks. Sure enough, "DAE ERROR 9131" the session wouldn’t nudge. No playback or nothing! It actually started doing it with the sessions already on my drive and on other drives!

After pulling my hair out for nearly 3 days and doing everything I’ve learned in my Mac & PT days, including reading the posts here and everywhere else, with the help of a great friend and a Mc Giver in this field, we figured it out. I want to share this with all of you in the hopes of saving those with this same issue, the nightmare a few others and I have gone thru.

Here it is……………….

******MAKE SURE TO BACK EVERYTHING UP BEFOR CONTINUIBG***
  1. You must reformat the drive with Disk Utility and select the partition option, even though you only need 1 partition.
  2. Before you format, make sure you select "PARTITION" and not "ERASE” Under the menu choices above.
  3. On the bottom of the window under “OPTIONS” make sure you click it and select “apple partition map”
  4. Close this option and click on “PARTITION”
  5. Your drive is now ready and should work fine but…this is very important. You must open the sessions you were having problems with (DAE 9131) and under the file menu in Pro tools select “SAVE SESSION COPY IN” make sure you’ve selected in the pop up window “copy audio”. Before saving the session make sure and select as the destination the drive you just formatted.

That’s it. Hope it helps.
Old 1st March 2012
Here for the gear

Hi, im Pablo from Spain

I bought a PPC g5 yesterday beacouse it was a really good deal
Saw a lot of people could use Logic 9 even if it´s officially not supported but it didn´t work on mine
So I tried to run my pro tools 7.4 with an mbox mini...

New session, 1 track and there it came! - DAE error ****31
no recording, no playback - NOTHING

The problem may be im running it and recording to my main HD
I tried it making a partition, but it seems if its the same drive as the OS i can´t make changes on the format. But it seems to be correct as you said (appl map of partitions)

I have no other drive to try, and i´ve never had a problem on my intel macbook to run PT and record on the system HD.

My hard drive is a WD Velociraptor, 200 gb, 10000rpm:

Nombre : WDC WD3000HLFS-60G6U2
Tipo : Disco

Esquema del mapa de particiones : Mapa de particiones Apple
Identificador del disco : disk0
Nombre de los soportes : WDC WD3000HLFS-60G6U2 WDC WD3000HLFS-60G6U2
Tipo de contenido : Genérico
Bus de conexión : Serial ATA
Nº de conexión : Dispositivo 0, "A (upper)"
Árbol de dispositivos : first-boot/@0:0
Compartimento : "A (upper)"
Grabable : Sí
Expulsable : No
Drivers del Mac OS 9 instalados : No
Capacidad total : 279,5 GB (300.069.052.416 bytes)
Estado S.M.A.R.T. : Verificado
Número del disco : 0
Número de partición : 0

any idea? could it be a compatibility problem ith this specific drive?
Hope sombody can help, been 2 days searching for an answer and seems like everybody could resolve it but me...

Thanks a lot!
Old 1st March 2012
Here for the gear

Solved problem ith Logic 9, I tried an other copy an it´s working perfectly
So still having problems with pro tools!!! as i understand, if i can record ith logic, the hd should be ok!

playing with it, i got an other message

Could Not Allocate Space For Recording

I checked if the hd read/write, and moved the record limit from unlimited to 10 minutes... everything!!!

So no, sometimes DAE error 9131, and if i import some audio and want to record over it - not allocat space.

by the way, is there an option on protools where i can turn off the software monitoring as in logic?

and last question, my mbox suddently makes direct monitoring even if the mix button is turned to the right... when i turn to the left there is no sound, nothing, nor input, no output.

Sometimes i love pt, sometims i hate it...
never had a problem with logic but in cases i need the ****ing standard to share projects...

thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search