The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real Names for Focusrite Liquid Mix emus - brought to you by St. Peeder
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Real Names for Focusrite Liquid Mix emus - brought to you by St. Peeder

I simply. could. not. stand. the silly names Focusrite felt it had to give its Liquid Mix emulations. In the manual they explain what these things are convolution models of, but they refuse to let you see that directly in the software.

Well I can change that! Heeeyyyaaaa! (karate chop)

Here I have meticulously prepared a set of snapshots for all the EQs and all the Comps that employ the actual names of the modelled gear. So an API is an API, a Neve a Neve. This is perfectly legal...I'm not selling a product (nor am I related to Focusrite) so there's no trademark issue like Focusrite might get entangled in if they marketed their product using these marks. I can refer to trademarks in my noncommercial work and here I have.

Unpack all these snapshots directly into your snapshots directory...subfolders aren't supported by the hardware.

on Mac:
(your username)/Library/Application Support/LiquidMix/

on Windows:
(you're on your own bub if you are actually trying to use a Windoze box for professional audio)
(not kidding, but anyway, you can look it up on the focussrite site)

And you can then use "Load Comp" or "Load EQ" to load the respective model. You can also use the Load button directly on the hardware. The knob settings for each model are all just blank...Hey I'm not giving away the Peeder Presets after I saw them charge for the CLA Presets!

If you "Load Full" snapshot, you will initialize a blank setting for the device you didn't load...so if you have an EQ you're using and want to load a comp this way, Do NOT Load the full snapshot even if it says "COMP"...it will erase your EQ and there's nothing I can do to stop that. You will have to use "Load Comp" if you want a Comp and "Load EQ" if you want an EQ! Commit that to memory!

I made these snapshots on a 2.2 final Liquid Mix (the original file I've left up, it works under 2.0 but not 2.2. It's also missing the 1176 snapshots). If they don't work for you lemmeno.

Many Bothans died to bring us these snapshots! Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip PeedersSnapshots.zip (61.7 KB, 4425 views) File Type: zip PeedersSnapshots2.2.zip (62.5 KB, 5208 views)

Last edited by peeder; 10th April 2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: New snaphots for LM 2.2!
Old 5th January 2008
Gear Addict

You're the man!!!!! thumbsup
Old 5th January 2008

cheers monkey nuts! nice one.....

general madine will be round to give you your prize!!
Old 5th January 2008
Gear maniac

Yaaay!

As silly as this probably sounds, the fact that Focusrite couldn't use the real names was a real turn off for me. Now I might actually consider this unit again (Yes I'm shallow when it comes to this stuff)
Old 5th January 2008
Gear maniac
Is there any way to replace the names of the replicas on the emulations list?
like:
Class A 2 -> NEVE 33609/B
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I simply. could. not. stand. the silly names Focusrite felt it had to give its Liquid Mix emulations. In the manual they explain what these things are convolution models of, but they refuse to let you see that directly in the software.

Well I can change that! Heeeyyyaaaa! (karate chop)

Here I have meticulously prepared a set of snapshots for all the EQs and all the Comps that employ the actual names of the modelled gear. So an API is an API, a Neve a Neve. This is perfectly legal...I'm not selling a product (nor am I related to Focusrite) so there's no trademark issue like Focusrite might get entangled in if they marketed their product using these marks. I can refer to trademarks in my noncommercial work and here I have.

Unpack all these snapshots directly into your snapshots directory...subfolders aren't supported by the hardware.

on Mac:
(your username)/Library/Application Support/LiquidMix/

on Windows:
(you're on your own bub if you are actually trying to use a Windoze box for professional audio)

And you can then use "Load Comp" or "Load EQ" to load the respective model. You can also use the Load button directly on the hardware. The knob settings for each model are all just blank...Hey I'm not giving away the Peeder Presets after I saw them charge for the CLA Presets!

If you "Load Full" snapshot, you will initialize a blank setting for the device you didn't load...so if you have an EQ you're using and want to load a comp this way, Do NOT Load the full snapshot even if it says "COMP"...it will erase your EQ and there's nothing I can do to stop that. You will have to use "Load Comp" if you want a Comp and "Load EQ" if you want an EQ! Commit that to memory!

I made these snapshots on a 2.1 beta Liquid Mix but I think they ought to work in general. If they don't work for you lemmeno.

Many Bothans died to bring us these snapshots! Enjoy!
Big Guy, really cool, but I’m surprised that you are using the Liquid Mix with Protools LE? Do you put it on all your tracks to compensate for ADC issues?

I've owned the Liquid Mix and think it's a great value, but found it frustrating to use with LE.
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbell View Post
As silly as this probably sounds, the fact that Focusrite couldn't use the real names was a real turn off for me. Now I might actually consider this unit again (Yes I'm shallow when it comes to this stuff)
Woohoo! Focusrite should send me a gift! Except then I couldn't do this! heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseLinear View Post
Is there any way to replace the names of the replicas on the emulations list?
I would love too, but I haven't tried it. I could try just renaming them in the filesystem but I doubt that would do it. I could go in with some kind of editor but that's rather finicky business. It would require that I distribute a patcher, and that patcher might go stale with a given software update, and then you guys might get pissed at me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Big Guy, really cool, but I’m surprised that you are using the Liquid Mix with Protools LE? Do you put it on all your tracks to compensate for ADC issues?

I've owned the Liquid Mix and think it's a great value, but found it frustrating to use with LE.
Yes I use LiquidMix, Duende, and my beloved UAD with PTLE, not to mention hardware inserts. They all have similar latency hits (2x hardware buffer size plus an optional amount for converter latency or extra processing time). The only really bad delay is the UAD Precision Multiband, that I process in-place (print back and realign).

I have a method of delay compensation using impulses that was hard to figure out but once I got the hang of it it's just a quick nuisance. I will often just use one or two plugins from each device on each track at a given "level" on the bussing tree to make this easier.

My only problem is LiquidMix and Duende can't live on the same Firewire Bus, and I can't install any firewire cards because I have UAD cards in all slots. I will wait to see if there's a UAD-2, but might have to get an expansion chassis if I start doing huge mixes. But with either Duende or Liquid Mix plus UAD and a nice passel of native plugs I can tackle nearly everything that the 96 channel PTLE+MPTK can handle anyway.

(Yes, 96 channels...48 stereo tracks are available, and in a pinch, you can treat each channel of stereo independently using busses or multi-mono plugins. )
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

My friend, you are much smarter than me!!!!!!!!
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

That's why I bought your 1176!
Old 7th January 2008
Gear addict

Thank you!
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

You are saint !!

I heard tonz of goods and bads everywhere.. just got mine a week ago, and it just awesome.

You just DID what i started to do tonight
thumbsup
Old 21st February 2008
Gear nut

Brotha...Thanks for doing this...I truly appreciate the time you put into this thang...I'm really impressed w/ this unit...I bought it really cheap and was going to re-sell for some extra cash...Only thing is that when I plugged it in and used it I was full on impressed by it's sound....Perfect? No...Able to help my mixes...Yes...If people cant find a use for this I guess I understand but for people to piss all over it is crazy...

I've owned / used

Distressors, Neve comps blah blah blah...Though they're awesome this little box pumps out nice sounds...Perhaps not as sexy as the real thang but come on...Who can really tell in the end....It's a great tool....

Anyhow thanks for doing this brotha....

Peace

el Randy
Old 21st February 2008
Gear nut

Thankyou, what a thoughtful effort..Denis House
Old 21st February 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post

on Windows:

I can't believe your using PTLE for 'professional audio'!
Old 21st February 2008
Peeder and you guys,

How are you guys liking your LiquidMix?

Peeder, you have the UAD (which I like a LOT) and the Duende. How do you compare the Liquid Mix to other units?

I sold my UAD a while 'cause I'm moving my system to a macbook, and now I'm after either a Duende Mini or a LiquidMix, until I can afford a MacbookPro + UAD Xpander.

Tell me your insights...
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Peeder and you guys,

How are you guys liking your LiquidMix?

Peeder, you have the UAD (which I like a LOT) and the Duende. How do you compare the Liquid Mix to other units?

I sold my UAD a while 'cause I'm moving my system to a macbook, and now I'm after either a Duende Mini or a LiquidMix, until I can afford a MacbookPro + UAD Xpander.

Tell me your insights...
Interested also...I'm about to switch over to a Mac Pro with Logic 8 (from good old Logic 5 on PC) and sell my UAD 1 PCI cards and either replace with PCIe or the Deunde Mini (but in the back of the mind thinking about the Liquid Mix) as it's twice the channel count as the Duende Mini but slightly more expensive.

From some of the A/B threads on GS a few guys have suggested the Liquid Mix is good and will get you there, but both Duende and UAD just got that little extra, to make mixes shine. Would that be your thinking?
Old 4th March 2008
That's a nice touch - shame I didn't think of it before I ended up writing out myself a list of the real Comps followed by their FF name in a long list.
Didn't get around to the EQ at all.
This is much better - very nice touch indeed & seriously appreciated.
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

peeder,
i just found this thread,...
i looked in my liquid mix folder under application suort but there's nothing there.

do you have any idea where else the folders for liquid mix might be saved?

hope they work for version 1.5
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

I think that's the folder you want to put these inside of.

But I don't think these work in 1.5.

Waiting for 2.2 to go final before re-uploading them. Of course, maybe in 2.2 final they have a converter functionality that will make these work again.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

any word on if 2.2 will work correctly like 1.5.

if i'm correct the bass bug is still present in the latest available upgrade on focusrites site correct?
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadden Heart View Post
any word on if 2.2 will work correctly like 1.5.

if i'm correct the bass bug is still present in the latest available upgrade on focusrites site correct?
The latest official release has the bass bug, the latest beta does not.
Old 29th March 2008
Gear interested

I might have missed something, but I upgraded to one of the earlier betas of the 2.2 drivers and everything seemed to work apart from the plugin window wouldn't float which they now have fixed. The shame of it is that your snapshots worked in this earlier version and now don't. I think I preferred the stuck window!!

I suppose what I am trying to say is I think your renamed snapshots are hugely helpful and look forward to using them again when they make this beta public. Many thanks!!
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Head

Huge thanks for that! Super big help!
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Head

jeronimo

I have the UAD1e and the Liquid Mix. I like them both, but I tend to use the Liquid Mix more because I like to build hybrid EQs. You cannot underestimate how useful that is to be able to to. The UAD1e sound super clean, almost clinical. The Liquid Mix sounds more analog (even though obviously it isn't) and warm.

I have not tried the Denude.
Old 31st March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mission1 View Post
jeronimo

I have the UAD1e and the Liquid Mix. I like them both, but I tend to use the Liquid Mix more because I like to build hybrid EQs. You cannot underestimate how useful that is to be able to to. The UAD1e sound super clean, almost clinical. The Liquid Mix sounds more analog (even though obviously it isn't) and warm.

I have not tried the Denude.
Thanks for your reply!

What EQs are you comparing on the UAD and the LM? I used to have an UAD and I had to sell it. Now I miss it a lot and since I don´t have PCI slots anymore (macbook) I´m thinking about going either Liquidmix or Duende Mini.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

UAD kicks both LM and Duende across the room.

LM is a better deal than Duende. UAD is a better deal than Duende. At least in U$D. This is because Duende is made in UK even though it's a pure-digital product.

I'm actually thinking of parting with the Duende. The Bus compressor is outstanding for what it is, and the add-on plugins are great, but they are too expensive and too limited in instance counts. I'm more a Neve guy than an SSL guy soundwise. LM has vastly more sounds in it than Duende, even if they are just a touch grainy from convolution artifacts.

I'd get as much UAD as I could and I'd also get a LM if you can get one cheaply, if for no other reason than filling out channels. Waiting to see if there is a UAD-2 announcement at AES may or may not be a good idea since they will want to keep recent customers happy.
Old 31st March 2008
Well, I can´t have UAD now, the only way is buying a Macbook Pro and an expander... this is out of my range right now.
If UAD comes with a FW version I´ll buy it instantly.
So, I´ll probably get a LM for now.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Any comments on the differences between LM and urs csp?

Herwig
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Head

peeder,

i downloaded the new 2.2 beta of the LM and it won't load your snapshots. it says they are an incorrect format :(

your snapshots rules, did you by any chance port them to 2.2?

thanks
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Hey I ain't no saint!

Anyway as I mentioned I'm waiting for 2.2 to go final because I don't want to sit and reprogram all of these every little beta increment and only find out that they would have supported them in the final unchanged anyway.

I mean, if they break everyone's snapshots in 2.2, that kinda sucks, doesn't it? I would think they'd have a converter for it at least, with a warning about the bass EQ being different.

I will update the post when I have new snapshots or the thing starts working again.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search