The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Performance differences between Mbox and 002?
Old 22nd November 2002
Performance differences between Mbox and 002?

Assuming the same computer is being used for either system...

I understand the DAE is different in the 002. The 002 also uses firewire as opposed to the Mbox which is a USB device.

Besides the track count and physical hardware differences are there any notable or noticable performance differences between the systems?
i.e. latency, system interrupts, number of plug ins, available plug ins etc.

Thanks
Old 24th November 2002
Here for the gear

I haven't used an 002 but audio latency with the MBox is annoying as hell. dfegad USB.
Old 26th November 2002
Mac Moderator

You will get higher Plugin counts on the 002. This is because it uses the Firewire Buss, and not USB.

You have to remember that USB (1.1 anyway) only has a 12mbps capacity, and is designed to have lots of devices hanging off it, and sharing that space (as does Firewire, but with the 400mbps capacity), so its nowhere near as robust as firewire.

I've tested 001 rigs next to Mbox rigs (same Mac etc) and the 001 can run with a higher workload than the Mbox, before it gives a DAE error.

I do feel the Mbox is great for what it is though, and makes a fabulous mobile rig.

Al.
Old 27th November 2002
MBox rocks as a secondary 'tune up' rig... with an IBook.

Old 17th December 2002
Gear Maniac

I use an Mbox with Logic on my iBook 600 using the Propagamma driver from www.usb-audio.com. I use the lowest latency figure (7 ms) all the time, be it with audio or softsynths. The whole thing kicks are and worked first time! More than can be said for the ProTools/Mbox combo. While researching this combo, I was in email contact with a fellow user who stated "the Mbox works better with Logic (with the Propagamma ASIO driver) than with ProTools". I'm not sure what Digidesign would think of that comment. When I get my CoreAudio driver, I will really be giggling.

I can't imagine there being a big difference between firewire and usb interfaces. The Mbox might be usb, but I am proof that it works, it works very well, and it works without trouble. YMMV, but if you follow the intructions it shouldn't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search