The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to make Big Drum Sound & Bass Sound
Old 14th December 2007
Here for the gear

How to make Big Drum Sound & Bass Sound

Hi
Iwould appreciate if someone could help me with 2 questions? I use Logic Pro 7, RME, G5, Reason, UAD1e with la2a, 670, 1176, neve1073, pultec.

1. After treating with processors, which sounds gets bigger - Drum Machine (like R8, MPC2500) or software's sound inside a daw. Basically which can give me bigger sound.

2. How can I make my bass drum and snare big and Bass with a round deep low end.

Expecting your experienced openions.

Thanks in advance
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

drums? (for drum&bass?) send it out to a 30 watt combo, mic it, overdrive it slightly on the amp and record the results and blend
Old 16th December 2007
can you hear the subbase area? if you can't hear it, or you have a bad treated room, you can't mix it.

where are you mixing? what kind of system?
Old 18th December 2007
Here for the gear

How to make Big Kick and Bass, A Big Low End

Dear Necola
I use logic pro 7 and do the mix in their arrange window using all logics plugins. I have a UAD 1e DSP card but still i did not install it. I have a pair of Yamaha NS10M and a pair of Genelec 1030A and a 7060A genelec sub. During mix I use NS10M always. Its range is upto 60Hz for sub area and I guess you dont get that sub area through this monitors. But when I sometime check with the genelec and the sub, I get the sub area. But you know my room is not that treated, its a plain room with my all gears and an additional computer table. Please suggest me how to treat this room. I will not be able to change too much because its a rented apartment but I can try for something. I have lot of studio foam unsed. Basically I need a clean round sub area. As well as my kick drums does not sound good. I use 2 track for kick, one from logic rock kit or dance kit and another from Reason Redrum kick. I add low and a compressor in the reason one, as well as I use compressor in the logic one. Most of the time it gets harder rather than deep tight smooth sound.
Some time I use 2 track for snare, one is little EQed and other is EQed, compressed and distoted with a long reverb. and finally I fix the proportion of these 2 tracks.
My bass guitar (i use synth bass from logic) also gets kind of gloomy. EQ - I add +5 to 8 in the sub area for bass guitar, cut a little in mid section, boost a little(+5 to +10+) in 5k and 10k. For kick and bass, I dont cut the low, other than these I cut low (at 20hz) in most of my tracks to make a clearer lowend. I use high pass for some of the tracks.
Basically I try to follow most of the formulas to make it bigger but still I am not at all satisfied. Could you suggest any instructional DVD or anything.
Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
can you hear the subbase area? if you can't hear it, or you have a bad treated room, you can't mix it.

where are you mixing? what kind of system?
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

1. Try using better samples from the start

2. Parallel Compression

3. Better samples from the start.....

Layering works, but if you're layering a bunch of sub-par kicks, you'll get a pile of sub-par kicks...

I don't know what genre of music you're working on, but sirrocco (posts on the rap/hip hop board) has some pretty good kits with some thumping kick drums. Check it out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search