The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transfering audio from DA-78 to Laptop
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Transfering audio from DA-78 to Laptop

I've got a DA-78 and I am trying to transfer the 8 tracks into a Mac Laptop G4. Any suggestions on an interface? The Motu 828 doesn't do AES, and spidf will only send a submix. I can transfer it out analog into the 828, but then have to go back digital again--I'd like to stay digital all the way. Also, any suggested software programs for this? Not too thrilled with Logic... thanks for any suggestions...

rll
Old 18th November 2002
Tascam makes alsorts of conversion boxes, you might find they make an 8 ch AES - light pipe converter box.. Any how I bet you could pick one up cheaply...

As for software - what do you want to do with the 8 track audio once in the laptop?

Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

How about the bigger 896? Maybe it would be easier to find somebody that has a PCI desktop Mac with a MOTU 2408. That one interface directly to TDIF. I've done many transfers from TASCAM DAxx machines to Performer with a 2408 and it worked flawlessly. Good luck!
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, Tascam does not make a converter that goes tdif to 8 channels of digital that is compatible with a laptop... The motu stuff has a similiar problem. I spoke to Metric Halo, and they have something like this in mind for a future version of the Mobile i/o. Looks like for now I have to go out analog, and back in digital--not crazy about 2 conversions, but I can't throw down for a desk top computer, and I don't have the room. What I do have are many DA-88 and DA-78HR tapes...

Once in, I just want to do some basic editing, and additional overdubs. Spent some time with logic and was not into all the hoops you have to go through, or the mixing desk. Looks like pro tools might be the way to go; any thoughts on Nuendo one way or the other? Thanks

rll
Old 19th November 2002
Check the websites of:

Fostex
Alesis
Otari
Friend Chip

Otari mak a UFC Universal Format Converter - it is big and 24 channel and expencive.

You WILL find a gizmo to do it I assure you..

Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

Why don't you go do the transfers at another studio that's already setup for it and save you the aggravation of reinventing the wheel just for one project. Bring along a firewire drive to put the transfered files on and bring it back to your place. It should not cost that much and will keep you from going crazy.
Good luck!
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Thanks ground control--that makes a lot of sense, but we have A LOT of tapes, and I would like to be able to manipulate them back into the 78's. Plus this will come up again in the future, since the 78 format is proving to be pretty popular still, especially in the film scoring I do. I also hate to pay for rentals, and here in NYC it's insane. Looks like I might go for the MH Mobile i/o, and just deal with the double conversion for now. I also need good converters for the analog mixes I do through the board, and since I can't afford the Hedd, this will kill 2 birds. The MH converters are supposed to be quite good. I'm going to go check out this box this week. Thanks for all of your comments.

rllyuktyy
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

Hey I just had an idea... The MOTU 2408 (any series) do standalone format conversion (24 channels at a time) from TDIF to ADAT and vice-versa. So if the interface you want to buy has ADAT (sort of likely since it has become kind of a standard), you could maybe borrow/rent just the 2408 box and hook it to your system of choice. It should be pretty cheap to rent or maybe you could even buy an older used one (Mk1) for not much money these days... If worst comes to worst you could go to a big chain and "buy" a 2408 on your credit card, do all your transfers and bring it back for refund. Most stores (at least around here) let you bring back stuff for a month if it's still mint...

Maybe that can help you... Hang in there!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search