The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar2 and Pro Tools (playing nice)
Old 10th November 2002
Here for the gear

Sonar2 and Pro Tools (playing nice)

I rebuffed all the "buy a Mac and get Pro Tools" jive and am using a killer PC I built, with Sonar 2 XL and Echo Layla 24.

It sounds GREAT, and works flawlessly.

Now, I have a real studio, so I may have clients that want to import audio to and from Pro Tools. I am not to swift with all this as I am not a Mac proponent, and have never used Pro Tools.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!
Old 10th November 2002
Mac Moderator

Hi Andy,
The easiest solution to your question would be Open Media Framework or OMF if Sonar supported it. (I hear it will do in the future though, so all stated here is a temporary workaround) OMF allows you to save your whole session (well the audio anyway) and the automation used into a file that can be used to transfer your work onto any system that can open OMF files (ProTools with the Translater addon, Logic 5, DP3 and Nuendo for starters)
As you use Sonar on a 'Billy Box' (PC) you'll currently (possibly) have 2 options. one would be to see if Sonar supports Broadcast WAV format as I'm told that these support Time stamping, and should allow you to make them appear in the same place in a ProTools session as they do on your system. The other option is to do a 'Bouncedown' of each individual Audio track from Bar 1. When these whole WAV files are imported into ProTools (or Cubase, DP3, Nuendo, Logic etc..) your track witll playback correctly, although you'll have 'printed' your automation onto the audio, so that won't be editable on the destination Rig, so its not an ideal solution, but until recently, sometimes it was the only game in town....

Hope this helps.

Al.
Old 10th November 2002
Here for the gear

Thanks, that helps.

Closed systems such as Mac and Pro Tools make me wanna hurl.

I am not a Billy fan, but then again who wants to use an OS named after an animal that would eat you and spit out what it can't digest. (lol)

Later
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Addict

Exclamation off topic - not really a mac vs pc thing so don't say it is

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyT
Thanks, that helps.

Closed systems such as Mac and Pro Tools make me wanna hurl.

I am not a Billy fan, but then again who wants to use an OS named after an animal that would eat you and spit out what it can't digest. (lol)

Later
Mac OS X is not closed !!

Quote:
Jaguar integrates features from state-of-the-art FreeBSD 4.4 and GCC 3.1 into Darwin, the Open Source base of Mac OS X, to provide enhanced performance, compatibility and usability.
sorry - but I just had to get it out.

BTW MCal 's solutions are exactly what I would've said.

Broadcast Wav is the way to go. Kind of.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear