The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Workflows: From PT to Logic 8; your tips?
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Workflows: From PT to Logic 8; your tips?

Hi!
Figured there will inevitably be PT users that will find interest in Logic Studio, and more specifically, Logic 8. So here is what I hope will be a thread for us to share workflows. As an example, PT has Import Session Data; Logic does not. For some of us, it is a vital part of our workflow. How do we perform this type of thing in Logic?

So, post your questions, post your tips/help for those of us that are still fresh out of the PT woods.

Questions:
Does anyone have a decent port of the PT key commands? I would be willing to host this even, if needed.

How can you re-order channel strips in the mixer? In PT, you simply grab it and drag.

No trimming MIDI regions from the left edge? (makes no sense if this si so..but, ok...hard to believe PT betters Logic in any MIDI area...)

Hit stop and have playhead return to bar/beat/division/time increment where last played from? (I ask because there is a pause button, but it seems the dfault behaviour is for the playhead to..well, pause when stop is hit...no?)

MIDI region management? Does not appear to be any.

(please do not get me wrong; Logic is awesome. Just trying to consolidate tips n tricks for PT "converts" heh )
Old 19th September 2007
JDN
Lives for gear

i totally second all this...coming for pro tools i'm lost in logic. would like pro tools key commands too for sure
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great idea with this thread.

How about extending it to 'general workflow' in 8. I'm finding things somewhat different to 7 - funnily enough 8 reminds me a lot more of ProTools than any of the previous versions... probably not a coincidence heheheh.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Nut

someone should make a key map for logic that is as similar to pro tools as possible. That would be a good idea.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
How can you re-order channel strips in the mixer? In PT, you simply grab it and drag.
In Logic: Grab and drag the tracks in Arrange. The Mixer follows the Arrange window, but you can always use the button to see fewer/more channels. Tip:Alt+click on an object type, like 'Instruments', lets you see Instruments only, and another click on the same button takes you back to your previous view.

Quote:
No trimming MIDI regions from the left edge? (makes no sense if this si so..but, ok...hard to believe PT betters Logic in any MIDI area...)
No, You need to scissor + backspace.

Quote:
Hit stop and have playhead return to bar/beat/division/time increment where last played from? (I ask because there is a pause button, but it seems the dfault behaviour is for the playhead to..well, pause when stop is hit...no?)
Search the Key Command list for all key commands containing the word Stop, and you'll probably find some alternatives that may work for you.

Quote:
MIDI region management? Does not appear to be any.
The Event List is also a region list/bin (use the button that looks like a Return key turned 90 degrees, next to the link icon to see regions instead of events). MIDI regions which don't appear in the Arrange window aren't listed anywhere else. If you want a pool where you can store MIDI regions not used in the Arrange window, I guess having a separate folder for them is your best bet.

Some Pro Tools users who complain about not always seeing what you are hearing in Logic are not aware of the No Overlap-option in Logic, which removes underlying material when pasting material on top of an existing region, and the Replace-button in the transport panel (not visible pr. default) that does the same for live recordings. There are also the Shuffle L and Shuffle R-options (in the same menu) for two different variations over Pro Tools' Shuffle mode. And there's a new Snap To Absolute Value option inside the Snap-menu.

One more thing: In Logic, you need to press Command if you want to move a plugin from one slot to another. (Cmd+Alt copies it).

Apple's new policy seem to be that one shouldn't need to search around too much to get things done, so it would be interesting to hear what other things that are confusing for PT users and other Logic newbies.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Make a selection with Marquee Tool. It will always play from the start of the selection.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

How can we do dual mono in L8? Sometimes I like to use compressors in multi-mono on stereo tracks in PT. Thanks.

Shane
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

On stereo tracks in PT we have individual pan control of both the left and right side. Sometimes I like to automate this throughout a mix. I notice L8 only has 1 pan knob for stereo tracks. Is there a way we can do this? Thanks.

Shane
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

I notice when we time/compress an audio region, there are 2 very annoying "Are you sure..." pop up messages. Is there a way to turn these off?

Grrrrrrr....of course I'm sure, or I wouldnt be doing it! And if I didnt like the result, I would be using the undo or undo history.

Thanks again.

Shane
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
On stereo tracks in PT we have individual pan control of both the left and right side. Sometimes I like to automate this throughout a mix. I notice L8 only has 1 pan knob for stereo tracks. Is there a way we can do this? Thanks.

Shane
Use the 'Direction Mixer' plug in. Also check out the 'Spread' plug in as it allows you to do frequency based stereo imaging-very cool.
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:

No, You need to scissor + backspace.

Wrong. MIDI notes and Audio Regions CAN be trimmed EXACTLY like the Trim Tool in Pro Tools. Move the Arrow cursor to the bottom left or right corner of any region Midi or Audio just like final Cut Pro.

Pics below
Attached Thumbnails
Workflows: From PT to Logic 8; your tips?-trim_tool_audio.jpg   Workflows: From PT to Logic 8; your tips?-trim_tool_midi.jpg  
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wrong. MIDI notes and Audio Regions CAN be trimmed EXACTLY like the Trim Tool in Pro Tools.
Sure, but it only works (from the left edge) if there's no MIDI data there. MIDI regions normally contain MIDI data from the start. The behavior is different on the right side of the region - limiting the length of a region just masks the MIDI data there.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Couple more...

Linearity. In PT, the timebase for a session can be switched to ticks or sample based (different than track level setting; that's next!). Basically, if you set to Linear Ticks Mode, bars will occupy the same sapce with a tempo change, while in Linear Samples Mode, the bars will "resize" (lager for slowing tempo, smaller if raising tempo). If that does not make sense, I can elaborate.

Next up is tracks having the ability to be tick or sample based. When tick based, all events will "lock" to the bar|beat|div they anchor to. When sample based, they anchor to the specific sample number they anchor to. The latter would allow someone to place a MIDI region, say, a snare roll, on a track, and if set to sampel based, then the tempo could increase or decrease and the MIDI region would not change with the tempo, as usually would occur with MIDI events. For the former, one could drag a REX file in (for isntance), and then each slice would have it's own anchor, and thus changing the tempo would expand or contract (effectively) the REX, allowing it to "follow the tempo."

How to do those in Logic?
(I find these to be EXTREMELY valuable to my workflow; "elastic audio" or timestretch/compress is NOT the same, and is an "after the fact" type feature...IMO)
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
How can we do dual mono in L8? Sometimes I like to use compressors in multi-mono on stereo tracks in PT. Thanks.

Shane
Same here... So a little bump for this
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Sure, but it only works (from the left edge) if there's no MIDI data there. MIDI regions normally contain MIDI data from the start. The behavior is different on the right side of the region - limiting the length of a region just masks the MIDI data there.
Im not sure I understand exactly what you mean. If i create a midi region in the Arrange, open Key Editor an place notes at the start, i can both, drag to resize a midi note that sits at the start of the region from left to right making it essentially overhang outside the left side of the midi region. When i go back to the Arrange window i can then resize from the start (left) of this region an expand it so that the expanded note at the start i just mentioned is contained inside the newly resized region.
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Guru
A huge part of the PT to Logic move is wrapping your head around the concept of the environment window. To a PT user it looks like the PT's mixer, but it's not really the same thing. There is not a 1:1 relationship between arrange tracks and environment objects like there is in PT.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
There is not a 1:1 relationship between arrange tracks and environment objects like there is in PT.
Hi, there is a 1:1 relationship between arrange tracks and the Mixer objects (inside Arrange) in Logic 8. No need to visit the Environment window for mixing purposes anymore.
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

When I created an Aux object in the "Mixer" window, it did not automatically appear in the Arrange window. I had to drag the object from the environment to the arrange channel manually, so that 1:1 CAN be done, but I don't think it's automatic like in PT.

Also, in PT the Master Fader is always in both Mix and Edit windows (unless you hide the track). Not so in Logic 7 or 8. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different.
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Is there a way in Logic to hide tracks and/or make them totally inert (zero CPU load)?
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwilliam View Post
Is there a way in Logic to hide tracks and/or make them totally inert (zero CPU load)?
Open up the Logic Help pdf and search 'Hide Track'!

(faster than explaining)
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post

(faster than explaining)

You were right. Over a page's worth of explanation on how to do it...
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post

(faster than explaining)
Unless this has changed in 8, that just hides them in the display. It does not disable them and free up the cpu.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Unless this has changed in 8, that just hides them in the display. It does not disable them and free up the cpu.
Correct and that was half of his question.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL. Got to love that manual!
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? Here's the short version:
Press the H-button.
Now, a small H appears on each track. Press H on the track you want to hide. When you press the -larger H-button again, all the tracks that have small H activated, will be hidden.

Regarding freeing up DSP - unlike PT, a native track in Logic normally doesn't use any DSP unless something is currently is being played on that track. If something is playing on that track, and you don't want it, press the M-button (mute). The biggest advantage of a native system is that the DSP power is dynamically allocated, which - if you compare horsepower with a TDM-system - means that '1 unit' of horsepower in a native system will give you a lot more than the equal amount of horsepower in a TDM system.

This is why the comparisons (35 URS plugins on a DSP card vs. 200 on a DualCore Mac) are kind of wrong - because normally, a track doesn't play during the full length of a song. When nothing is played on that track, DSP isn't used on that track, and can be used on other tracks.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Same here... So a little bump for this
not exactly the same, but the workaround in Logic is un-checking Universal Tracking Mode.

this will allow 2 separate tracks for a stereo track, thus allowing 2 separate pan controls. remember to group the 2 together, so volume can be controlled the same.

kinda PITA when you have to use plugs... gotta adjust 2 at the same time.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
kinda PITA when you have to use plugs... gotta adjust 2 at the same time.
Yeah, but thanks for sharing thumbsup
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Question moving tracks

Hi,

Is there a way to rearrange (move) the order of the tracks other than one by one without using folders . I can't move several tracks at once .Big PITA . I reorganize often as the project evolves . I hoped they would have fixed that but maybe it's a function I didn't find .
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm curious about this as far as Bus/Aux tracks go. One time I did SOMETHING that got my Bus track (a parallel drum bus) next to the "parent" track. For the lofe of me I can't figure out how to do it again.

Quote:
I have searched and searched for this. Poured through the "Key Commands" list. It's probably something something simple I'm missing. Right?

I mean... right? Please tell me I can do this.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Looking for Input Quantize. Can we do this in Logic 8? Thanks.

Shane

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search