The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MUST READ FOR ANY CONTROL SURFACE USERS : Mackie Control Universal and Logic 8
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Maniac

According to this thread: Logic Pro Help :: View topic - No Control Surfaces Installed

Quote: "Apple and Apogee is working on a fix for this issue in Logic 8. According to Apogee the ETA is around the same time Leopard is released."

So, might we see a fix in the next couple of days, or at least by next week?

Anton
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Maniac

Just noticed that Apogee put up a notice on the Ensemble's updates page that 1.6.6 should not be used with Leopard 10.5. Same goes for the Symphony Driver 1.3.5 or any version below that!

Three days to Leopard, more than a month since LP8... Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Anton
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear
Ahhhhh.... I purchased beta test software again... (AND I should know better by now).

I am a LONG time user of Logic - way back to the first version.

My rule of thumb, which I broke after feeling good about nice reports on GS, is NEVER buy software when it first comes out --- NEVER. Well I bought LOGIC 8. tutt

Here is my bug list about the controllers. I use a MOTU 896 with a Rosetta AD 96K as the main clock and a Presonus Faderport.

1. The Faderport's mute, solo, and punch in buttons do not work. Well they work sometimes.... other times they do not. Yes I downloaded the latest drivers for Faderport. The transport controlls do work however.

The Faderport uses the HUI emulation mode. It works in Logic 7 but not in 8.
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone get up the guts to throw Leopard into the mix yet? Does it have any effect?
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

I installed Leopard and now Logic crashes during boot up. I turned off the Ensemble, but it didn't make any difference. I'm going to call Apple Tech support today.
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Did anyone else see this over in the music computers forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns
Hey Max, while you're in this post. Can you help us understand why people can not get thier Mackie MCU's to work with either the Ensemble or Sympony systems in Logic 8. There is a huge roar on the forums about this. When will Apple/Apogee get this worked out, since everyone seems to be reporting that the problem is isolated to Apogee converters/Logic 8/Mackie. People using other converters are not having the Mackie MCU issue.

The problem was a timing issue that caused the control surface not to be recognized, which has been fixed in Leopard. For those still in Tiger, we have changed the startup sequence in the latest software updates to compensate for the timing changes, so if your software is up to date, the issue is resolved.

I updated everything and it's still buggy and crash-prone with Logic 8, a Tascam US 2400 and my Ensemble.

Even running just Logic and the Ensemble, the Maestro software inside Logic isn't working properly. Maybe that Duet and Leopard are calling my name louder than I thought.

Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

What's the sound of one hand clapping?

Another update.

I was using an older version of Maestro to keep everything somewhat together, but that seems no longer necessary. The following is using all the current versions of Apogee drivers with Logic 8 and Tiger (latest update) on a Mac Pro.

I am still experiencing crashes and control surface conflicts when I boot up with my Ensemble and Tascam control surface turned on.

Starting Logic with the Ensemble off and the Tascam on seems to work fine.

It does seem necessary to go into the control surface set-up and drag and drop the Tascam icon once to get L8 to recognize it fully. Don't know if this has to do with older drivers and legacy control surfaces or not. My Tascam wanted this done in L7 as well.

Here's the full song and dance routine:

Open Logic with CS on and Ensemble off.

Jog CS icon in Control Surface Set Up window.

Close CS Set Up window.

Turn on Ensemble.

Hit okay when it asks if you want to recognize it.

Seems to work fine after that--with full Maestro functionality.

Closing out of Logic, it may be my imagination (which at this point has become very active regarding these matters), but it seems to stay more stable for the next round if I do it in this order:

Close Logic.

Turn off CS.

Turn off Ensemble.

Then to get going again, turn on CS..

Wash, rinse, repeat.

--Oh, and by the way, definitely do trash the aforementioned preferences, repair permissions and reboot.

And stand on one foot and hop while humming. Gotta love life on the bleeding edge.
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

I asked Max (Apogee) in another thread about this problem and he responded saying that everything has been resolved and is working flawlessly wiht Logic 8/MCU/Ensemble and Symphony.

Is this not right?
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Barry,

I just posted on that thread--my last post is still accurate for me, I don't know about anyone else. The workaround is more stable for me now, and the Tascam may be more prone to weirdness than newer control surfaces, but I'm still not able to start Logic with both my control surface and the Ensemble turned on and have everything function.

YMMV.
Old 11th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I asked Max (Apogee) in another thread about this problem and he responded saying that everything has been resolved and is working flawlessly wiht Logic 8/MCU/Ensemble and Symphony.

Is this not right?
Hi Barry,

"Flawlessly" is not a word I'd use here!heh Read AL*MYTEE's post last night, did the driver upgrade (Y'know, noting it on the website or changing the release number slightly may help!). Anyway, same old song and dance. Works great the fist time. Shut down Logic, reopen Logic, and .... No control surfaces! Haven't tried AL*MYTEE's new "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" yet... Wife's in the studio composing... Will try later today.

But, that means the problem is not resolved. As long as you have to use a work-around = No fix.tutt

And Max's post saying that everything is resolved, is then not correct.tutt Furthermore, Ensemble is not Leopard compatible yet, as per Apogee's site this Sunday, November 11th, 2007. And anyway, expecting us to upgrade to a .0 release of a new OS to fix a bug is a bit much... A .0 release of a DAW is one thing, but a .0 release of an OS is a whole different can of worms!heh

So, still trudging along with 7.2.3 under 10.4.10.

Come on Apogee! You can do better than this!

Max... Max... Calling Max...

Anton
Old 11th November 2007
Gear Head

frontier designs Tranzport

anybody get their transport working yet?
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Mine worked for a day after updating the Apogee driver. I AM NOT ON LEOPARD. Now they are hosed agian. I give up with this crap
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

I'm running OSX 10.5.1 and my eMagic/Mackie Control is now working again in Logic Pro 8!

It does seem a tiny bit less smooth when the faders move automatically.
Old 17th November 2007
Gear Maniac

10.4.11+HUI+Remote SL ZeRO

Updated today, new Apogee drivers & software, 10.4.11, Mag G5 Dual 2.7.

So far, all OK.

First time starting up Logic 8, scanned for control surfaces, added HUI, auto-detected Remote SL, set ports for HUI. Tested both, OK.

Closed Logic 8, rebooted Mac, opened Logic again, all control surfaces still there. Closed Logic again, opened it, control surfaces still there. Whoo Hoo!

Will test it for another couple of days, and in conjunction with more serious projects, but so far, so good.

Finally, thanks Apogee! Might be that you guys need a bit 'o rest now?

Anton
Old 4th December 2007
A33
Gear Addict

So i take it from the silence this problem is sorted now?
Old 9th December 2007
A33
Gear Addict

All is working great for me now!!

Ensemble - logic 8 - mackie control - C4 - Mackie XT
Old 9th December 2007
Here for the gear

Logic 8 MCU Pro Fader Lag

Posted this as it's own thread, but thought it'd be worth while repeating it here:

Recently upgraded to L8 and am noticing a HUGE (like, 300-500ms) amount of fader lag with my usb connected MCU Pro. L7 works fine. Of course this is in addition to a myriad of other flaky MCU behaviors w L8. I do have a Symphony system running the most current Apogee drivers, but I thought the MCU conflicts had been worked out... Tried deleting all my midi settings, but no luck. Since L7 works well on the same system, seems like the culprit would have to be L8 anyway...

Any idea oh collective consciousness? Anybody else with this problem?

MacPro (8 core) 5GB, OS 10.4.10, MCU Pro/XT/C4, 1 Symphony Card
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmurnyc View Post
Posted this as it's own thread, but thought it'd be worth while repeating it here:

Recently upgraded to L8 and am noticing a HUGE (like, 300-500ms) amount of fader lag with my usb connected MCU Pro. L7 works fine. Of course this is in addition to a myriad of other flaky MCU behaviors w L8. I do have a Symphony system running the most current Apogee drivers, but I thought the MCU conflicts had been worked out... Tried deleting all my midi settings, but no luck. Since L7 works well on the same system, seems like the culprit would have to be L8 anyway...

Any idea oh collective consciousness? Anybody else with this problem?

MacPro (8 core) 5GB, OS 10.4.10, MCU Pro/XT/C4, 1 Symphony Card
I think it's all been worked out with Symphony and the MCU on Tiger. I'm pretty sure that's what I've read, not personal experience though.
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I think it's all been worked out with Symphony and the MCU on Tiger. I'm pretty sure that's what I've read, not personal experience though.
I haven't bought controller for L8 yet, but when using a fader on my midi keyboard assigned to the master output fader the response is very good....

TH
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

Just to follow up on the original thread--with the Logic 8.0.1 update everything seems straight.

I can open and close L8 with both Ensemble and Tascam US2400 turned on and they both appear to have full functionality. I'm running 10.4.11, not Leopard. I have read some reports that the Tascam is not Leopard friendly.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Tascam US2400 NOT compaible with ...

Happy Holidays my bleeding edge comrades..

Eben
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks again MYTEE!
Old 31st July 2009
Here for the gear

logic / control surface / audio interface

Hi,

I am looking for a audio interface and a control surface to use with logic. I am considering a novation sl49 controller keyboard for DAW, Plug ins etc... and a Apogee Duet as my audio interface.

Any suggestions? Experiences with the above gear?

Nash
📝 Reply