The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic pro 8 vs Logic express 8 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Logic Express 8

With Logic Studio 8 out and everybody on the edge of their seat trying to get their fix, I was wondering if any low enders were considering a ride on the short bus (express 8).

I think the one major thing it lacks for song writers mixing down would be all the Surround mixing plugs, but after that it seems pretty loaded.

I'm no software expert by any stretch or producer, so i was wondering if people out there think the short bus is a good value or a waste of money because of what it lacks?

If it does lack something important could someone explain its shortcoming?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
With Logic Studio 8 out and everybody on the edge of their seat trying to get their fix, I was wondering if any low enders were considering a ride on the short bus (express 8).

I'm no software expert by any stretch or producer, so i was wondering if people out there think the short bus is a good value or a waste of money because of what it lacks?
I know a few people who use logic, and I want to get in on collaborating. The input limits seem to have been lifted, so a Mac Mini and Logic Express 8 will partner nicely with my Saffire Pro. With all the included effects it makes a superb quality entry level DAW in my opinion.
Old 13th September 2007
I think Express 8 will be good enought.

- no more limiting the hardware in / out
- no more lame 8 buss only
- no more lame 2 aux only
- only surround capabilities and some instruments and effects are missing AFAIK.

I'll probably go for LExpress 8 and If I finally get used to Logic, I'll make a jump to Pro, since it's not thaaat big jump anymore (moneywise)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

It seems pretty much Logic Pro by itself, just not all the extra programs and libraries.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

did anyone find a true feature comparison? I was looking for one but couldn't find it.
Old 13th September 2007
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Logic pro 8 vs Logic express 8

hi,excellent forum,this is my first post there:

-->Logic pro 8 vs Logic express 8<--

what express 8 lacks

-no surround capabillities
-no node (distributed audio processing)
-no support for some (pretty expensive) control surfaces
-no tdm support

instruments:
-no evb3, evd6,evp88... ( trivia: i know that Dr. Gerhard Lengeling - logic's developer -loves these instruments,when he is not playing the real thing with his band he loads these instruments from logic)
-no sculpture

plug ins:
-no surround plug ins
-no delay designer
-no multipressor, adaptive limiter
-no match eq
-no binaural post processing plug in, no multimeter
-no convolution reverb (space designer)
-no down mixer plug in

-no waveburner

note that pro 8 comes only with the studio bundle which includes far more applications,jampacks and ...little surprises!

hope they share the exact same workflow,intuivity and... bugs!

,regards
spirou
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think it has the "vintage instruments" either right?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Neither does it have the Soundtrack editing software, if noone else has mentioned.

I'm in a dilemma. I recently got a new macbook after not buying a new mac in 10 years and I'm anxious to buy a daw. I was using VST 5.

Logic 8 coming out was perfect timing, but now I'm stuck as to whether or not to go for the full Studio or Express. I know my eyes are always bigger than my stomach and wind up never getting very deep into these programs but would like to. On the one hand I'm thinking that Studio is way overboard (but nice to know its 'all' there) or save myself money (can always upgrade later) and get Express but worry I'm missing out on something.

I've read that the audio editing in Logic was lacking comparatively so I'm wondering if editing is up to snuff in Express or would I need the Soundtrack Pro in Studio? Hmmmm..
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I say the extras are worth it. The reverb and delay designer alone are worth the difference (altiverb is about $500 and it is GREAT, but I can't imagine there being a big difference). Then soundtrack Pro. Then the library of loops and samples. The surround capabilities. Waveburner. We haven't even started on the other extras..
BUT if the upgrade won't cost you much more if you decide to go there, I say it's not a big issue either way. I just have no idea what the upgrade will cost.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Well, you've convinced me

Now I have to sit on my hands and wait till AMS gets it in so's I can go on the 3 payment plan heh
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Well, you've convinced me

Now I have to sit on my hands and wait till AMS gets it in so's I can go on the 3 payment plan heh
I'm afraid I will need an overhaul on my MacBook just to run Studio8 so I think for that reason alone I will get Express 8.

As a person that records his own music, don't we just need some well organized drum loops with flexibility? I mean most of us can guitar, bass, sing, and keyboard already right? So get Ultra beat up and running and program a good drum track.

What is the best firewire or usb keyboard to run on Logic??????
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

I Think I might just go and get Express. You can always upgrade for 300 bucks if you feel you need the pro. Moneywise its the same as if you bought pro to begin with.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiq View Post
I Think I might just go and get Express. You can always upgrade for 300 bucks if you feel you need the pro. Moneywise its the same as if you bought pro to begin with.
I hate producing anyway, so the less time I spend at the computer trying to perfect software, the more I will spend writing music instead of pushing button and losing my mind. I was using a PC and Sonar today and I was saying to myself, what the hell am I dicking around with all this **** for!

I really appreciate people who are good at this stuff....

I hope the Duet and Express 8 are easy tools, so I can record, comp, eq if needed, and presto!

I have a feeling it wont be.....Express 8 for me and a Duet for the pres and converters. I will probably buy a MIDI Controller too, maybe the Axiom......
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
Express 8 for me and a Duet for the pres and converters. I will probably buy a MIDI Controller too, maybe the Axiom......
Nice
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

I found a list of what plugins are included with LE found the Gearjunkies news
article on Logic Express 8.

Gearjunkies.com - Comprehensive resource for music production and DJ equipment

Logic Express 8 - Included Instruments and effects from Logic Studio:

* Synthesizers

o EFM1 (FM Synth)
o ES E (Ensemble Synth)
o ES M (Monophonic Synth)
o ES P (Polyphonic Synth)
o ES1 Synth (Analog Synth)
o ES2 Synth (Subtractive Synth)
o EVOC20 PS (Vocoder Synth)

* EXS24 Sampler - full version with Editor
* Ultrabeat (Drum Synthesizer/Sampler/Sequencer) MO
* External Instrument plug-in
* Klopfgeist (Metronome Sound Generator)
* Test Oscillator

* All 24 GarageBand instruments

o Analog Basic
o Analog Mono
o Analog Pad
o Analog Swirl
o Analog Sync
o Bass
o Church Organ
o Digital Basic
o Digital Mono
o Digital Stepper
o Drum Kits
o Electric Clav
o Electric Piano
o Guitar
o Horns
o Hybrid Basic
o Hybrid Morph
o Piano
o Sound Effects
o Strings
o Tonewheel Organ
o Tuned Percussion
o Voice
o Woodwind

Included Effects from Logic Studio:

* Amp Modeling

o Bass Amp
o Guitar Amp Pro

* Delay

o Echo
o Sample Delay
o Stereo Delay
o Tape Delay

* Distortion

o Bitcrusher
o Clip Distortion
o Distortion
o Distortion II
o Overdrive
o Phase Distortion

* Dynamics

o Compressor
o DeEsser
o Ducker
o Enveloper
o Expander
o Limiter
o Noise Gate
o Preset Multipressor
o Silver Compressor
o Silver Gate

* EQ

o Channel EQ
o DJ EQ
o Fat EQ
o High Cut
o High Pass Filter
o High Shelving EQ
o Low Cut
o Low Pass Filter
o Low Shelving EQ
o Parametric EQ
o Silver EQ

* Filter

o AutoFilter
o EVOC 20 Filterbank
o EVOC 20 TrackOscillator
o Fuzz-Wah
o Spectral Gate

* Imaging

o Direction Mixer
o Stereo Spread

* Metering

o BPM Counter
o Correlation Meter
o Level Meter
o Tuner

* Modulation

o Chorus
o Ensemble
o Flanger
o Microphaser
o Modulation Delay
o Phaser
o Ringshifter
o Rotor Cabinet
o Scanner Vibrato
o Spreader
o Tremolo

* Pitch

o Pitch Correction
o Pitch Shifter II
o Vocal Transformer

* Reverb

o AVerb
o EnVerb
o GoldVerb
o PlatinumVerb
o SilverVerb

* Specialized

o Denoiser
o Enhance Timing
o Exciter
o Grooveshifter
o Speech Enhancer
o SubBass

* Utilities

o Gain
o I/O
o Test Oscillator

Considering that LE8 is pretty much "Pro" in functionality, you are getting practically
everything that was included in the Platinum version from a few years ago.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks Brutha,

Thats a hell of a list there........I think if learn half of that I will be able to produce a decent final mix.

Preciate the list......I may just stick with Express for now....
Old 16th September 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

I seem to be missing something here.

Does the asterisk (*) indicate that this is an included item and only the the * items are from Pro? (...the o items being in pro only?)

Or? Didn't quite figure that out from the Gearjunkies site either...
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

'*' just is main category, 'o' is sublisting, nothing more.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
I seem to be missing something here.

Does the asterisk (*) indicate that this is an included item and only the the * items are from Pro? (...the o items being in pro only?)

Or? Didn't quite figure that out from the Gearjunkies site either...
the word next to the asterix is the list title so for instance synthesizers is the title and the names underneath is the list of included synths.So everything you see on that list is included in logic express 8

hope that makes sense
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry when I copy/pasted it over, the feature list wasn't separated.
I went back and edited the post for better legibility ;-)

I actually went down the list for each, with both GJ articles in two separate
browser tabs and compared features/specs.

I'm tempted to go to the Apple store and get the Express 8 upgrade today
but if I wait another week and a half I can get Studio.
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Is sidechaining now allowed in Express? I would assume so, since they have the vocoder plug now included.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes sidechain is there
Old 18th September 2007
Here for the gear

Glad I found the thread, and the board. I never popped for the 7.1 of LE as Apple released it the same week I bought 7.0 and I Was a bit miffed they wanted more cash. I use a G4 133 PB anyway so, no biggie.

I, "almost" regretted going to LE anyway as I am not at all informed about studio work or Digital recording techniques. Garage Band was not all that bad for what it let me start doing. But, of course LE and LP (Logic Pro) are much better apps, you just know it. But it has been so frustrating to circle, and circle and frigging circle the LE compound, trying to figure a way IN. Sheesh. Glad Apple put in a simplified interface on the 8 series. I hope I will agree when I start to use it?

Part of it is me of course. Decided to finally get a CD out of my somewhat simple tunes. Stated playing with loops and, Holy sh*T, got to writing whole songs just with loops. Fun fun fun. But I got bewildered, then sidetracked, then overwhelmed, then I put it down altogether, and I got lost.

Still have the two sure mics I bought, and the focusright DSP box. Still have LE 7. So, LE 8, or LP 8? First, for me this has to be easy or at least intuitively rewarding. So finding serious tutorials might be a good investment for me. If the upgrade price to LE is $100, and for LP is $299, then it comes down to what the extra $200 will buy me.

For one thing there are the jam packs. Like I said, I love the loops now. So about $100 of that added upgrade cost for the LP package is for buying the loops, which takes the difference to $100. And for the $100 I could get lucky and get something in the pro version I don't yet understand but would end up loving, or I cold get p*ssed at the size of it and say, "oh well". At least it was just $100 I wasted. That's my rationalization and I am sticking with it. :-)

As far as LE or LP I don't see any differences for most of us. If you, like me, want to go all the way (loops for me, for you...(?), get the whole big box and see what is behind door number three.

If you really want to just keep working it through, I don't see anything wrong with the plain LE upgrade. Whatever I invest in, I need serious help to start learning the world of software oriented studio recording, or any studio recording. I want to get back to making uninterrupted music, man. -lb

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search