The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the Sonnox sound? Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

It seems like you're going down the road of plugin redundancy. How are youre monitors and converters?
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear
Can someone compare the Sonnox Limiter with the L2 and/or the Massey L2007?
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Can someone compare the Sonnox Limiter with the L2 and/or the Massey L2007?

the sony is definitely better than the L2, i'm not sure about massey, i'm on logic
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
the sony is definitely better than the L2, i'm not sure about massey, i'm on logic
Can you maybe describe the sound? I dig the L2 a lot, and if used correctly it can be super-clean and capable of completely nuking the material into submission (you have to hit the limiter correctly though... too much low end will cause it to pump and fart like a motherf*cker). The Massey is a lot "warmer" (I hate using that word) and sounds better than the L2 when doing only reasonable amounts of limiting. When you need that squashed sound it doesn't do the job the way I want.
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you maybe describe the sound?
OK I'll try. I just used the demo of the limiter as the final process in a (in-house- budget and scheduling didn't allow me to go to my usual ME) master I did 2 days ago.

This plug can very easily become overused, it's quite potent. Apparent levels can be very loud, and then you look at the output and you're not even hitting 0dB yet!

Which means you could use this plug to make tracks loud enough to rip your face off your skull, if that's what you want. dfegad

But when used subtly, and with good sounding music as the goal, it's the best plug in limiter I ever heard. It somehow preserves the good musical transients and lets them through, while maintaining absolute control over the ceiling. Everything is rich, hi-fi and even sounding, and most importantly my tones didn't change.
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Can you maybe describe the sound? I dig the L2 a lot, and if used correctly it can be super-clean

In my experience, the L2 is never clean. There is just too much harmonic distortion even with small amounts of GR. Just turning it on/off does something to the sound. YMMV.

Alistair
Old 20th October 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
For me the gate in Waves SSL heh
+1

IMO nothing beats the gate/expander on ssl channel e... quick and very easy to set... very fast too!
Old 20th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
Thanks to all. This is VERY helpful. I think I love it here. Sounds ilke Sonnox will both fit my music and compelment what I already have.

Now I wonder if the UA Neve bundle is adding anything vs. URS, and if the SE versions (which let's face it, these are probably what I'd usually use) are worth the price of another card and the bundle (net $1k), given all else. Sounds like a bunch of Sonnox, the PSP warmer, and maybe some Sonalksis or Chandler will do me. I'd love to NOT have to spend $1k just to get that UA Neve compressor which I crave(could find workarounds to use it once on drum group if I had to and just get the plug, not the card or bundle).

Anyway, Sonnox here I come....
UAD NEVE bundle is the ****!! It is THE thing for mixing ITB for me... if you own UAD-1 card - just demo it!! When you hear that compressor, those EQs, that channel strip... you will want to mix with it.

And after that - buy Sonnox Oxford - another completely different and compatible tool to use alongside Neve bundle...
I think you don't have to bother afterwards with much more plug-ins...
Maybe some Waves SSL for fun and another flavour...
Old 20th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
+1

IMO nothing beats the gate/expander on ssl channel e... quick and very easy to set... very fast too!
I didnt' have enough time with Waves gate - but I tested it, I compared the UAD Neve 88r gate and Sonnox Oxford gate and the latter seems the most usable to me... Also Neve 88R was fine, but somehow Oxford opens and closes the most subtly...
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

i'm interested in the comparisons. I want to know how the sonnox limiter compares to the vintagewarmer, if they do compare at all.
Old 21st October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisha31 View Post
i'm interested in the comparisons. I want to know how the sonnox limiter compares to the vintagewarmer, if they do compare at all.

They don't, really.

The Sonnox is a brilliant Limiting tool that does it's job extremely well. VW is much more colourful and based around saturation-type effects.

Sonnox for functionality at high quality, PSP for colour and 'fattening'.

There have been times, though, when the Sonnox just hasn't been able to cut it and the Massey had to save the day.

It has less controls but boy, it's a killer plug!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search