The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$500 = total market domination. Right? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The studios I've experienced directly have been Mac-centric. I personally have not been in a modern professional studio that didn't have a Mac somewhere.

I know exclusively PC pro studios exist, but I've never been in one.

- c
The pro studios I've been to all have HD systems as well as Macs. So if we are discussing the market for a cheap logic 8 version, we are not necessarily discussing Pro studios.

Especially since,
We are discussing Digi losing sales of MBox and LE products mainly, and alot of those guys use PCs
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Im still curious to see how LP8 performs with symphony.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Im still curious to see how LP8 performs with symphony.
I'm sure it will be great.

- c
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
If Logic has the right numbers, those plugin developers will happily port to AU. Sony, and many others have done it already and I believe more will hop aboard still. I think McDSP will be the ice breaker. Once they do it I think even more people will defect from the Digi camp.
Yes that's true. Other than some developers that make TDM-only plugins, I think that most RTAS have AU/VST versions so I don't think that'll be an issue.
Old 14th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
You're overanalyzing....

Who cares what kids use to make music... Logic Express was always cheap and accessible, anyway.

The high dollar exclusivity the name once brought may be over, but it's a better program now...

Our DAW's shouldn't define us as professional or not.
I must second this. I do so because I see no harm in giving everyone the opportunity to work with great software. It will only get more and more talented people into the industry. All the non-talented will eventually drop out, as it happens with any other demanding professional activity.

As others have said, great engineers will do awesome things where crappy ones will do bad with better equipment. What distinguishes professionals are their abilities, not how much money they had to start with or if they can afford the latest and greatest gadget. For some years now, decent sound is attainable without paying off the chart prices. People make the difference. That's great because that allows musicians to put out there their stuff without sounding awful and to get more and more people into the audio bug.

Apple's move is clearly the same microsoft and others have taken a while ago: They want their software to be as ubiquitous as possible. Firstly because they are into selling hardware and second, because they have realized a long time ago that if people get used to logic they will tend to use it later on. It's part of the human condition this behavior.

I will not say that this release will change the DAW world as others are claiming but I do think that it definitely consolidates the notion that making music with good quality is now within reach of anyone that can afford 1k, assuming they have talent. For those not so much talented, it will still allow them to have enormous pleasure in playing with music and that, at the end of the day, is not a bad thing for anyone. A fully packed studio-in-your-room is now, more than ever, a reality. Decent sounding "instruments" are now virtually free for anyone to express their imagination using a midi keyboard. It's a truly wonderful experience to see this on shelves.

I'll go back to lurker mode now, sorry. :-)
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

I was unaware of Logic 8 until I chanced upon it on the Apple website this morning. I am a confirmed PT user but by the end of reading the overview I was sold. When I saw the price I was speechless. This is so obviously the future.

I was going to get a Mbox but will now get Logic and a new Mac.

For the semi-pro home user Digi always shake the spoon before they put any food on your plate.

Apple have just given you as much as you can eat and booked you a car home.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
The fact that every studio will have Logic could eventually push the need for PT to the side. It's a clever strategy.... Price it so it doesn't make sense not to have it. Suddenly, it's everywhere and people start using it because it is everywhere. On your laptop, on your desktop, in the big studio, etc. Take the project home and do edits on your laptop with the same session loading on every computer you own...
Thats a good point... studio's get their work from clients,,,and what clients get what they want... if alot of clients start using logic and go the the big studio to mix or already are comfortable with some tracking they have already done..or just the interface alone....it would be easy and comforting to open up logic.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Every studio will NOT have logic. Are we forgetting the guys that use PCs?
Yes.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scking View Post
Yes.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
LOL

- c
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.
LOL!!

Oh dear, ha ha ha!
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

From Apple's Website:

<<Hardware freedom

Logic Pro can be used with any audio interface that works with Mac OS X, so you never have to worry about restrictive proprietary hardware requirements.>>

Yep. No restrictive proprietary hardware requirements at all. Unless you count Mac computers. You're not going to count that are you????

Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoHornplayer View Post
From Apple's Website:

<<Hardware freedom

Logic Pro can be used with any audio interface that works with Mac OS X, so you never have to worry about restrictive proprietary hardware requirements.>>

Yep. No restrictive proprietary hardware requirements at all. Unless you count Mac computers. You're not going to count that are you????

I'm guessing not unless PC's can run OSX?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

PC's. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artnoiser View Post
I'm guessing not unless PC's can run OSX?
This topic of PC's keeps coming up. I guess I'm far removed from the "real world" 'cause every musician i know (and certainly every single one of our clients) is a mac person. I didn't think of my world as rarefied, but maybe it is?... Where are all these pc-based musicians?...

- c
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where are all these pc-based musicians?... - c
In their apartments, making beats on cracked copies of Cubase and Reason.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.
Quote of the month!

-SD
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Our DAW's shouldn't define us as professional or not.

Exactly. And DAWs don't = automatic talent.

-SD
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone else think it is odd that Logic Studio isn't even featured on the main page of Apple's webstore? It's like they are still trying to figure out what the hell to do with the program!
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Anyone else think it is odd that Logic Studio isn't even featured on the main page of Apple's webstore? It's like they are still trying to figure out what the hell to do with the program!
Making music... apparently, it's just not that important anymore.

- c
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
For myself, I don't want any one product to be the market dominator.
Right now, there is one product that owns most of the market by a huge margin and that's Digidesign. The rest of the DAWs just fight over scraps.

So, anything that restores some kind of balance, at least on the Mac, I'm sure you would agree is a good thing. In fact, one might argue the Apple's potential success with this price drop could really be great for all non-digidesign products. Once you jump off of ProTools, you are more likely to use anything else. Some might not agree much with the Logic workflow, some may think of it as highly intuitive. Eitherway, its not Digidesign, and that has to be good for competition.

-bs-
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Hmm, do you really think that Logic is as important or more important than the new iPods to Apple? Apple just announced a totally new iPod lineup. They are not even showing their new iMacs, which are also a huge seller.

-bs-
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, this is a good time to be alive, except music is seen as cheap and inconsequential and nobody cares about it anymore. Certainly nobody wants to pay for it. Other than that, it's a good time to be alive...
heh

- c
I nominate this for "Quote of the Month".
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would have thought it weird if they had placed it on the home page. Apple realizes very accurately that Logic isn't a mainstream product, and the user base needs no help keeping up with it's status. To me it would be strange to see Apple selling it to the public at large.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Making music... apparently, it's just not that important anymore.

- c
Silver, Sonic and B Stone all of you missed the fact that I said the main page of Apple's web store!

The Apple Store (U.S.) - home

Just think it's odd that Logic Express would be featured and not Logic Studio.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Silver, Sonic and B Stone all of you missed the fact that I said the main page of Apple's web store!

The Apple Store (U.S.) - home

Just think it's odd that Logic Express would be featured and not Logic Studio.
Sorry I misread! That would be more understandable, but I'm still not surprised.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

You have to keep in mind who is viewing the apple webpage. Out of the millions hits they probably get a day there is probably about a 1/2 percent there for checking out logic. We all know its there, so they don't NEED to put it on the front page. They are probably simply catering to who is visiting their site.

I have no problem with this because I think that all those millions of people checking out ipods and computers are the reason why Apple can sell us Logic at such a great price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search