The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 7.x to Logic 8 (Studio) Full Install or actual upgrade?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic 7.x to Logic 8 (Studio) Full Install or actual upgrade?

I was wondering if doing a fresh install with NO Logic 7 already installed, will the "upgrade" version of Logic Studio install as a complete program, or does it need to have the previous version (Logic 7 in my case) installed? I can certainly plug in my XSKey to do it, but I will be going to the new Leopard OS in a few weeks and want to do a completely clean install of everything, including Logic Studio, without having to layer it over the previous version.

I understand that if we go from Logic 7 to the new Logic Studio, we will need to have the XSKey attached for verification of authenticity while actually installing Logic Studio. Then Logic Studio will run with just a serial number. Then in the future, if it is necessary to reinstall Logic Studio, we have to again insert the XSKey (for previous version verification) while installing Logic Studio. Silly procedure, but I understand why...

Thanks anyone!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Seems you only need the XSKey

So fresh install on Leopard shouldn't be a problem
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks DrDeltaM. Anyone have more specific confirmation on this area? Fresh or has to be layered for the upgrade version??? I will have my new Logic Studio tomorrow, but Leopard is obviously not out yet... So my fresh install won't happen till the new OS comes out.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Thanks DrDeltaM. Anyone have more specific confirmation on this area? Fresh or has to be layered for the upgrade version??? I will have my new Logic Studio tomorrow, but Leopard is obviously not out yet... So my fresh install won't happen till the new OS comes out.
All info here, they just tell you to keep the XSKey around for future re-installation:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...re_Upgrade.pdf
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, it appears (upon a re-read) that the XSKey is all that will be needed. I will find out. It would only make sense... But in this day and age, what makes sense?! If anyone else has done the "upgrade" as a fresh install already, please chime in. Thanks again for the quick response!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search