The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 8 - Still No Group 'Solo' Option!!!!!!! DAW Software
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic 8 - Still No Group 'Solo' Option!!!!!!!

hi guys

can anybody confirm if this is the case? i have checked the manual and have noticed that it's just not there but maybe it was added later??

i can't believe they've omitted this again and still...how do you all solo groups?

thanks
g
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
hi guys

can anybody confirm if this is the case? i have checked the manual and have noticed that it's just not there but maybe it was added later??

i can't believe they've omitted this again and still...how do you all solo groups?

thanks
g
I've never needed to! Route multiple tracks to buses and then solo the buses - you can even do this from the arrange page...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

the answer for me isn't that simple. say for instance i want to solo 4 guitar tracks and lead vox, i would just like to click solo for 2 tracks and all others should follow. PT even has this feature

anybody else find this an issue?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat View Post
I've never needed to! Route multiple tracks to buses and then solo the buses - you can even do this from the arrange page...
Working with multi-track drums, it is pretty necessary.
You will want to switch between the kicks, snares, toms, oh's and then have all of them together.
Sure, you can do it as you suggest- but then you need to have the bus fader on the arrange page and use the up/down arrows to go between them.

The work around is to select the regions on the arrange and hit s key
Very clunky work around- but that is how I've been doing it.

Lack of group solo and the lack of some sort of beat detective means I still need to boot into PT HD to work on drums. Doing it in Logic takes too damn long.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
You will want to switch between the kicks, snares, toms, oh's and then have all of them together.
Sure, you can do it as you suggest- but then you need to have the bus fader on the arrange page and use the up/down arrows to go between them.

Lack of group solo and the lack of some sort of beat detective means I still need to boot into PT HD to work on drums. Doing it in Logic takes too damn long.
yeah, agreed! i was very disappointed not to find this feature included!
i was however happy to find that there is supposed to be a key command to 'go to end of region' - about damn time!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru
Quote:

Or put the drums in a folder and solo the folder on the arrange page. Option+s is locked solo- you can deselect regions without losing the solo.

Solo in the environment widow has never really worked.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Or put the drums in a folder and solo the folder on the arrange page. Option+s is locked solo- you can deselect regions without losing the solo.

Solo in the environment widow has never really worked.
there are work arounds, and most people would have found a way as i for one have had to make it work somehow for so long but seriously, solo group is a no brainer!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru
Quote:
there are work arounds, and most people would have found a way as i for one have had to make it work somehow for so long but seriously, solo group is a no brainer!
That encapsulates what frustrates me about Logic. Yes, there are workarounds. There are always workarounds. Usually several. But why can't it just make it easy for me to do what I want to do?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think the s key command makes more sence, just point on the regions (or rubber band) that you want to solo, and press s. It´s just me though.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

When I was a beta-tester I was pushing for a version of solo where the the track you were working on would stay the same level but everything else would drop by a user definable amount- -10 or -20 db or anything you could set (globally).
Was never picked up though- I still think it would be pretty useful.
My work around is to send the tracks I am working on to a separate pair of outputs on my analog mixer- and lower the rest of the tracks (which are on outs 1-2).
Works fine until I come to mix, when everything is laid out on 32 faders- then I have to live without.

PT group solo works much better than Logic- even the way you organise groups in Logic is a bit of a cludge.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I was a beta-tester I was pushing for a version of solo where the the track you were working on would stay the same level but everything else would drop by a user definable amount- -10 or -20 db or anything you could set (globally).
Was never picked up though- I still think it would be pretty useful.
My work around is to send the tracks I am working on to a separate pair of outputs on my analog mixer- and lower the rest of the tracks (which are on outs 1-2).
Works fine until I come to mix, when everything is laid out on 32 faders- then I have to live without.

PT group solo works much better than Logic- even the way you organise groups in Logic is a bit of a cludge.
that sounds like a nice solution, drop by percentage would probably do it.

fredrik when mixing (balancing tracks) i don't really need have the arrange open so i just have the mixer up so solo by clicking regions doesn't suit me
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm missing something, but all you have to do is go to the mixer window and Shift-click on the individual tracks you want to select as a group, then hit Solo, and all those channels will Solo together. This works for Mutes, Record, Sends and Inserts too. Simple and fast, and you can choose which tracks to include, even if they're not technically part of a Group.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I thought I heard somebody say we now have a swipe solo feature, similar to DP. You click on one solo button then drag across however many you need. This works great, just group all guitars together, etc. I always hated individually clicking. So retro.

Can anyone confirm?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but all you have to do is go to the mixer window and Shift-click on the individual tracks you want to select as a group, then hit Solo, and all those channels will Solo together.
That's a possible solution, but if you have a group consisting of 8 different non-adjacent tracks, this is a far less convenient solution than if the developers simply would add 'Solo' to the set of parameters that may be part of a Group Setting (along with Region Selection, Track Zoom, Hide, Record Enable and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteso View Post
I thought I heard somebody say we now have a swipe solo feature, similar to DP. You click on one solo button then drag across however many you need.
It's still there (was introduced several years ago), but it doesn't remove the need for Group Solo!

The only reason I can think of why Group Solo isn't implemented yet, is that if Region Select (Edit) is enabled, selecting a region and soloing it also will solo all other regions assigned to tracks in the same group - but (and there's a big but here): this isn't a useful substitute for Group Solo, because it doesn't select regions before the start of (or after the end of) the region you have selected.

If you want to listen to your song and solo all the background vocals while doing so, you'll discover that if you try to use this workaround for lack of Group Solo, everything will go quiet the moment your selected region (And regions that are starting before the end of that region) is ended. So - in order to use this workaround, you need another workaround: you need to create a dummy region that starts at bar 1 and ends at the song end for each group you have created, and click on that dummy region in order to ensure that all the regions belonging top that group is selected (end therefore solo'ed).

It's a bit like Export Region-function: if you select two regions, and select Export Region, only the first region is exported, but if you create a dummy track with a dummy region that starts and ends at/before the same position as all the regions you want to export, the Export Region now turns into a more useful Export Regions-function.

Being a person that don't like really workarounds much, and especially not workarounds that needs to be made in order for another workaround to work, I hope Group Solo will be implemented. Maybe some will disagree that the workarounds mentioned for lack of Group Solo aren't workarounds, but features - and they may be right. Nevertheless - for people who just want to click on the solo button of a track belonging to a group and see that all other tracks belonging to that same group goes into solo, these other tricks feel like workarounds.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteso View Post
I thought I heard somebody say we now have a swipe solo feature, similar to DP. You click on one solo button then drag across however many you need. This works great, just group all guitars together, etc. I always hated individually clicking. So retro.

Can anyone confirm?
yes, this works and i think has always been the case though you have to do this in the arrange page...correct me if i'm wrong. i can't confirm the shift click solution but i'm sure i would have tried that before
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i can't confirm the shift click solution but i'm sure i would have tried that before
Shift-clicking tracks in the track mixer enables a lot things: you can edit outputs, send destinations, send levels, select and replace plugins, solo/mute and so forth for all the selected tracks without the need for using a modifier. This may be a useable workaround for lack of group solo in songs with very few tracks.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Shift-clicking tracks in the track mixer enables a lot things: you can edit outputs, send destinations, send levels, select and replace plugins, solo/mute and so forth for all the selected tracks without the need for using a modifier. This may be a useable workaround for lack of group solo in songs with very few tracks.
cool, i was aware of the other functions but somehow i don't remember solo working though it could've been an oversight. that's a bit of good news! it's a pain then for non-contigious tracks then.

as you mentioned above, there may be reasons why people would not want to work with group solo on but if it was added to one of the options one could always leave it off while they don't need it. essentially there's no good reason we don't have an option to have it
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
cool, i was aware of the other functions but somehow i don't remember solo working though it could've been an oversight. that's a bit of good news! it's a pain then for non-contigious tracks then.

as you mentioned above, there may be reasons why people would not want to work with group solo on but if it was added to one of the options one could always leave it off while they don't need it. essentially there's no good reason we don't have an option to have it
I'm pretty sure you can shift-click non-contiguous tracks and "quick" group them to do mutes, solos, fader moves, etc.

Pretty sure. Not totally sure. But pretty sure. Okay. I just did it.

Now I'm COMPLETELY sure.

I agree it'd be easy enough to have group solo. While I personally wouldn't use it I certainly understand why one would expect it to be there.

But hell, coming from Cubase I'm just glad I can create Busses without worrying about the damn order in which I instantiate them!

Last edited by sharky; 22nd September 2007 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Clarification of a sentence.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I'm pretty sure you can shift-click non-contiguous tracks and "quick" group them to do mutes, solos, fader moves, etc.

Pretty sure. Not totally sure. But pretty sure. Okay. I just did it.

Now I'm COMPLETELY sure.

I agree it'd be easy enough to have group solo. While I personally wouldn't use it I certainly understand why one would expect it to be there.

But hell, coming from Cubase I'm just glad I can create Busses without worrying about the damn order in which I instantiate them!
thanks...i like the fact that selecting channels in the mixer window is a lot easier now and you don't have to have the channel in the arrange for it to be able to be selected...this normally depended on several factors!

now they just need to add solo to the group options...
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never thought about an option like that until last week when Sonar 7 was announced and user-definable dim solo was one of its features. Sounds very useful, I'd love to see it in Logic.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search