The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sell me on Logic 8 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sell me on Logic 8

I'm not going to offer any opinions on this thread. I'm just here to learn. I have never worked in Logic so I have no bias for or against.

Sell me on Logic 8 over Cubase 4.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Interface, editing and workflow are better in C4 I think. Why LogicPro *:

- you get a sampler including better soundbanks than available in Halion
- you get much more great instruments
- you get much more great plugs
- you get much more great channel strip presets
- you get other apps too
- you pay way, way, way, way, way, way less!

Regards,

Roger
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

i too have Cubase 4 and i'm deciding whether to pickup Logic 8

for the record, you can get full-version Cubase 4 Crossgrade for $399 if you have any other DAW installed on your computer.

personally i think C4 looks cooler...hate to say it but i'm not crazy about the Logic aesthetics...arrange window, mixer, and plugins are a little boring to me and the colors seem a little drab. not that it matters too much, but when you're looking at a screen for hours...
and i really like the "Control Room" feature in Cubase 4 that came from Nuendo...does Logic have a similiar feature?

one of the features in Logic that looks tasty is how you can highlight sections of audio and it automatically punches your overdubs in. that would be useful to me.
the channel strip presets are also nice, but when i used Logic 7 i always found it better to create custom presets.

maybe i'll get both.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
Interface, editing and workflow are better in C4 I think. Why LogicPro *:

- you get a sampler including better soundbanks than available in Halion
- you get much more great instruments
- you get much more great plugs
- you get much more great channel strip presets
- you get other apps too
- you pay way, way, way, way, way, way less!

Regards,

Roger
What are the quality of the instruments? In this case, I'm thinking about Reason 2.5 (I haven't spent a TON of time with the sounds in 3), which to me is very 'meh' in the factory sound bank department. Do the Logic instruments sound great, or would you consider them middle of the road?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereisbkp View Post

one of the features in Logic that looks tasty is how you can highlight sections of audio and it automatically punches your overdubs in.
That sounds handy.
Old 14th September 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

Logic may be arguably the best writing and creativity program out there.

The self-contained instruments are excellent. (Very conducive to creativity.)

The self-contained plug-ins are excellent. (Also very conducive to creativity.)

The mix engine has a sound stage that is as good as or better than the best out there.

Now that we've gone to one window, ala Pro-Tools, others, the learning curve should be reasonable (it was not, in the past).

Editing, comping, multi-takes are simply the easiest.

You can use almost any hardware you'd like with it.

It plays well with Pro-Tools HD.

That said, I have a Pro Tools HD|2 Accel and run Logic, but have just begun to explore v8...I like it.

Oh, and though lot's and lot's of people use Reason and Live!, I find there is more flexibility in Logic to do almost anything you can dream up.

...and at 500, it's a shoo-in for what you get.

YMMV
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I agree with the above statements regarding the complete out of the box package. No other DAW comes ready to make music straight out of the box like Logic does because of it's huge assortment of plugins, samples and instruments.

However, I would consider them all 'stock library', middle of the road and in need of upgrading if I was pursuing anything serious.

For example I would rather a host of Native Instruments instruments over Logics instruments any day. I would take the Waves Renaissance package over the stock EQ's and comps. I would take GuitarRig over the GuitarAmp plug. The list goes on. Yes all these additions are at an extra cost of course.

I'm not sold on quantity and when compared directly to C4 as the OP has, i would take C4 in an instant. Much more conducive to writing sessions and on the fly writing. All this based on my experience with Logic 7 as well.

Roach
Old 14th September 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

Good points, Roach.

But, PT does not come with NI, Waves, nor Guitar Rig. And the Internals in Logic will definitely get you going in the right direction.

I apologize for the lack of knowledge regarding C4, and so I can't comment there. (What comes with?) But i do know that if you use the aforementioned aftermarkets in Logic (NI, Waves) you won't be disappointed...and 8 just made it cheaper and easier.

And some very serious stuff has been cut and sold using those 'stock library' items.

Y and the OP's MMV...
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

The manual weighs in at over 1000 pages. And that doesn't include the manual for plugins and instruments (at least 500 pages).

And the interface is really....yummy....

Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbeat77 View Post
I'm not going to offer any opinions on this thread. I'm just here to learn. I have never worked in Logic so I have no bias for or against.

Sell me on Logic 8 over Cubase 4.
If you're accomplishing what you need and you are satisfied with Cubase 4, what's the point of asking to be sold on Logic--not flaming, just curious...
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just trying to figure out what the hubbub is all about and offered a sequencer up as comparison. It's tougher to sell with no point of reference - so I gave one.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

I have been using Cubase many years now on a PC and MAC.
It has been a great musical playground.
However, ever since C4 it's been hell.
I was just ready to buy Altiverb, does anyone have experience with Space Designer?

And one more thing, I want to give up this bloody dongle.

Emilio
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I was hoping the thread wouldn't turn into a "please help" situation, and that it would stay informative towards Logic 8 and its strengths.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycounty View Post
The manual weighs in at over 1000 pages. And that doesn't include the manual for plugins and instruments (at least 500 pages).

And the interface is really....yummy....

In-plugin parallel compression! A fantastic addition.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would hold your horses and wait and see what Cubase 4.1 is like

It should have a lot of missing features that have been promised and some nice little extras along with bug fixes.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are the quality of the instruments? In this case, I'm thinking about Reason 2.5 (I haven't spent a TON of time with the sounds in 3), which to me is very 'meh' in the factory sound bank department. Do the Logic instruments sound great, or would you consider them middle of the road?
really stay away fron the sounds in reason. the sounds samples have been used to death by many many artists and in TV.

maybe the new synth in reason 4 will save reason but only a few poeple are using it rewired to pro tools just to use the synth and sampler with their won samples.

logic 8 (that are same instreumnts than 7) are very good. i have a ton of 3rd party softsynths and the ES2 synth is up there withthe best.

space designer i think is the second best reverb after altuverb for AU plugs. (my favorite is revibe.)

for me i can compose stuff very fast. its very intuituve. i learned how to use the environemt in logic 7 but once its set I always use the arrange page.

and it has all the mixing plugs youll every need. most diss the logic compressor but i use all the time.

if u go to logicprohlep.com there is a thread of profesional and sucesfull producers who only use logic to produce.

the only obstascle for a lot of folks was the audio editing which was lagging pro tools but with all these new features in LP8 looks like itll be a big fight.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycounty View Post
does the new comp sound as yummy as it looks? love the idea of different comp types.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just trying to figure out what the hubbub is all about and offered a sequencer up as comparison. It's tougher to sell with no point of reference - so I gave one.
The 'hubbub' is mainly from those of us who've been waiting 3 years for an update.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search