The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro 8 & SSL Duende
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Logic Pro 8 & SSL Duende

Anyone tried Logic 8 with the SSL Duende yet?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPye View Post
Anyone tried Logic 8 with the SSL Duende yet?
I'll try this as soon as I have my Logic 8 copy.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Good stuff, Dr! Thanks.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Maniac

So did you get any results? I'm thinking of buying Duende and use Logic 8 so I'm anxious to know.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Working fine for me. I'm on a Dual 2.0Ghz G5.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

No problems here on a Mac Pro 2.66 with 2 Duende units.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Works for me with 3 Duende units and 11 UAD cards on my iToaster.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thats what I wanted to hear, not that I expected anything different.

And seriously 11UAD Cards, suddenly I feel so insignificant
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbell View Post
And seriously 11UAD Cards, suddenly I feel so insignificant
Yeah, and with a iToaster? Sounds smoking!
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbell View Post
So did you get any results? I'm thinking of buying Duende and use Logic 8 so I'm anxious to know.
Sorry I didn't get back to this earlier. Everything seems fine
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

ome on 3 duende work n one system? i thought two were possible ow? and 11 uad cards? mmh. sounds a bit fantastic to me!
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
ome on 3 duende work n one system? i thought two were possible ow? and 11 uad cards? mmh. sounds a bit fantastic to me!
He must be smoking something good heh

Indeed, you can use up to 2 Duende's on one system. As for UAD's, I'm not sure what the exact limit is, but I believe it's like 4.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

perhaps he writes his own drivers for duende and uad cards!?!?!? heh heh heh
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Unfortunately I am having a few problems.

Duende regularly causes my system to crash - typically when entering or exciting the GUI. This is ESPECIALLY the case if I go directly from an open plug via a key command to another screen set but also 'just' on exiting the GUI (or opening it or a new plug).

I'm on 10.4.10 with a 2.66 Intel Macpro using the macpro's own optical audio i/o and NOTHING connected to the firewire port apart from the Duende.

Anyone experiencing this?

EDIT! I've just tried opening a song in L7. Everything is rock solid and I can jump between windows like there's no tomorrow and it just keeps playing. I tried opening the exact same song in 8 and the crashes appear almost immediately.

Note: I can't crash 8 without the Duende being present and the crashing scenario also applies to songs that have been created directly in 8 and aren't 7 legacy songs.

Jim?
Old 27th September 2007
Solid State Logic

Still waiting for our copies to arrive....

We'll look into it as soon as we can.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know where you're getting your copies from but I do find it a bit ironic that your customers don't seem to have ANY problems getting their hands on this piece of rather significant software and one of the REALLY big players in this field can't get hold of a copy....

I bought mine online and it arrived less than 24 hours after I placed my order.

If you want me to I'm very happy to pop into Apple's Regent Street store and pick up a copy for you - we can always split the coach-fare form London to Oxford....

I am a TOTAL Duende-devotee and will be buying my second unit very but this is just one of the small things that really should NOT be an issue for a company of your standing and which - frankly - reflects rather badly on your organisation.

This is in no way, shape or form a stab at you Jim - I VERY MUCH appreciate you precense on this and other boards and the fact you've got the bottle to stand up and take the flak for SSL - but it's a bit like Marshall not being able to test a batch of bad valves because they've run out of guitar strings....
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

In Jim's defense, it's often times much easier for a consumer to make a purchase then a business. One can't go around buying anything one wants....

Not saying that SSL shouldn't have a talking to with their supplier, but I could see how a simple purchase might take a bit longer then you or I would expect.
Old 27th September 2007
Solid State Logic

Things are little different between

buying a copy for yourself

and

getting a number of copies for all of your R&D team and demo systems through your contact at Apple.

Either that, or I have to explain to my financial director why I've just spent £3000 on software....
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

I totally appreciate that it must be a very different situation buying for a company and buying for someone like myself. Reading my post back it does sound a bit silly and out of place and I apologise for that.

However, I still stand by the point that it does seem odd to me that it takes SO long to get hold of a copy of a rather significant piece of audio software (whether you like Logic or not). It must be in Apple's interest as well as SSL's to get these things - such as transitions from one version to the next - running as smoothly as possible.

And keeping one of the market leaders in mixing and now also mixing inside DAW's waiting for more than half a month can't be good business for anyone.

If you will you can read my frustration as a testamtent to my love for the Duende. It's a VERY addictive piece of kit - extremely hard to live without when you get used to having it!

And I must stress that prior to this little niggle - and remember, we are on version 8.0 afterall - my system (both on a PPC G5 as well as on a 2.66 Intel Macpro) have been running flawlessly.
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Basically dude, apple sends out copies to major developers like SSL for them to work with, develop for, etc. It's apples fault that they didn't send them way before Logic 8 was even released, let alone until now. Not SSL's.
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well in that case I'm even more sorry.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search