The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone know the correct Logic 8 academic price?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Question anyone know the correct Logic 8 academic price?

I have heard rumors of $150 and $450.....

the old academic price was $300.

thanks
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I only can tell that the german prices: 479€ standard/ 429€ academic
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic Pro 8 Academic $449
Logic Pro Express Academic $179
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

$149 at University Computers.
Waiting list.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I only can tell that the german prices: 479€ standard/ 429€ academic
thats only a 50 dollars discount, when i look at it this way, logic 7 academic was 610,, logic 8 academic is 429,, for students this logic 8 release isnt financialy as attractive for pro usage. I think ill just buy the pro version, makes it easier to update it to logic 9 when the time comes.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

why do I keep hearing different academic pricing?

hmmm
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanh View Post
why do I keep hearing different academic pricing?

hmmm
MY hunch is many Univversity computer centers are still going buy the old price!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Two people at apple have told me $449.00 now my next question was is that for an Acedemic version i.e. no upgrades or is that an acedemic price for full version? no one knows that answer!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

US- California. The educational price is 449. However, you aren't supposed to use it for professional application, and you will not be allowed to have discounted upgrade in the future. so if you look at it this way, you'll actually save more cash by buying the real version because you'd have to re-purchase the entire program again in the future versus the upgrade price, which will probably equate to more than 50$.

I am able to get the educational discount, but I will be getting the normal one.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

well i saw on my university computer stores monitor Logic Studio Academic - 150. i suppose it could change and they have the wrong price, but i saw it on their system. 449 makes no sense, that's more than the academic price on Pro 7, and goes against their typical academic discount pricing.

really im just hoping it actually is 150
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I bought Logic 7 academic for 300 almost 3 years ago. It updated fine untill now. I am force to buy a full new version now. Fine by me though. I ordered from a friend today who works for Apple. $249.00. I'm good with that. Can't friggin wait.

Any news on plugins working or not besides BFD?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I can go to the appl estore and it shows 499 as the price for logic pro studio. then I can go to my schools site which applies automatically the discounts for everything, and it shows 449. I was also told by a representative that this was the educational price..
maybe you are seeing an upgrade price? or maybe logic express academic?
Old 14th September 2007
Here for the gear

nope, i bought it from our bookstore yesterday for 150, the full studio version. my guess is it will be changed to 449 at some point and i just got lucky that they had it in their system wrong. im definitely not complaining. for the price of PTLE academic, i just got Logic Studio...yay
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Dont confuse EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT with ACADEMIC VERSION. An edu discount is 5 a 7%. 479-5%= about 450

So how much is the academic version?
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hello!
Those that DID get the $150 version of Logic Studio- are you SURE it's the "full retail" version? Is there anything to indicate otherwise?
I only ask because the UW-Madison tech store is offering it for $150 as well, but they don't have an in stock. At this point, I think I'd rather go $500 for the real deal then $150 for an upgrade-crippled version.
Thanks!
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

trust me, it's the big ass, heavy box, logic studio with all the apps/plugins/etc.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

There seam to be two academic prices The apple web store price $449 and the Local campus computing center price of $149.00 anybody know if Uiversity of Texas has the $149.00 price because the wifes UTstaff and I'm going to be in austi next week????
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't doubt that it includes everything, but does it say "academic" or "educational" anywhere? Perhaps on the box, in the manual, by the serial number, during installation, or on the start-up/about Logic screen?
Sorry to be a pest!
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

no worries, i certainly understand the confusion. like i said i still think at some point they'll change the price. anyways..

it does Academic on the box in the upper right next to a "no upgades" or something line. I actually haven't installed it yet but will today and let you know if it says anything different on install. aside from that though, it's the normal logic studio box and includes the entire studio package. i believe they were selling express for $69, although none were in stock when i purchased studio. hope that helps!

matt
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
Dont confuse EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT with ACADEMIC VERSION. An edu discount is 5 a 7%. 479-5%= about 450

So how much is the academic version?
I guess gizeh12 has it right. Probably there's a confusion with the educational discount. Here's an article I've found that explains it. Excerpt:
Quote:
Logic Studio now retails for half the previous price of Logic Pro, $499. The education price for a single license has also been slashed in half, to $249. The institutional price is $149. And volume licenses are available for $129 per seat.
I hope it's true as I've just registered here to post this to you. heh
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is the academic version accible to all universities or are there different policies??
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

bump
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Maniac

my school bookstore is selling it for $150.
i'm pretty sure it's the academic version.

i own the academic version of logic 7.2; on boot-up, it says "academic license." i cannot upgrade it. also pretty sure that's the same with the new academic version.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Here are my findings

I spoke with an Apple Rep about this, here is what I found. and maybe school to school it varies..
Logic Studio Regular Price = 499 (full version)
With Educational Discount = 449 (academic version)

for 50 dollars less you lose upgrade abilities and are not supposed to use it professionally/commercially.

seems like a no brainer to me to buy the full version.

I think that either the educational discounts vary from school to school, or those of you seeing the 150$ prices are seeing logic express/logic express academic/ or some sort of upgrade pricing.

EDIT: Online prices are consistent for the academic version of -$50. But your particular school store price might be different.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

I purchased Logic Pro 7 Academic from Apple in 2005 for $500USD.

I was just at the main Apple store near the park in NYC, they told me the academic was $449.

Apparently there's a few schools now selling it for cheaper. I know that in Boston, Boston University almost always sells for cheaper.

However, keep in mind, that going against the licensing agreements for use is only a hair away from piracy. If you're buying it, and trying to get it running on 10 of your friends computers, or if you're getting the academic version and using it in your commercial studio- then that is equally against the licensing agreements.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Talking

your mum (and your dealer hehe)
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Very true, this is why, although I am a student, I am going to buy the normal version so that I can just avoid any of these conflicts.. the savings of 50 bucks is negligible compared to potential headaches in the future. Plus I like to support Apple by giving them that extra $50 to spend on making improvements on Logic in the future

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search