The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Test Run of Logic 8
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

My Test Run of Logic 8

Install took a while, over an hour. Has 7-install disk and 1 demo disk. Then had to work on AU versions of my plugs so that they all registered with Logic. Most were setup for TDM or RTAS only. Took a little while, but all is good there.

Tried for quite a while to get it to work with my TDM hardware, but couldn't get it working. Now, I didn't even crack the manual though, typical of me.

Set it up to use the line out on my Mac just to get some sound, worked of course.

Oh, I'm on a MacPro.

I pulled up some tunes I did in Logic 7 just to play with some audio regions.

Ease of use: Apple has done a very, VERY good job in improving the interface. It is smooth, really smooth. Everything makes sense; you could easily get up and running without cracking the manual in no time. Something not easy to do in Logic Pro 7.

Windows have a much better look to them. Colors used are easier on the eye and not as cheesy as they were in Logic 7. The all in 1 window thing is pretty cool. Even with the mixer on 1 monitor and the all in one on the other monitor, I found myself not looking much at the mixer window.

Keep in mind, I've only had about 30 minutes with it and have to leave it alone until tomorrow night.

Overall first impression from a very limited perspective is that it is a really good upgrade. This is coming from someone with a great distaste for Logic Pro 7.

I know this doesn't reveal much, but I wanted to get something out.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

once you have it all working - CLONE YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE!

carbon copy cloner, or similar

heh
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

this is going to be a very popular thread....that being said, I can't wait for you to post more once you play around more...pleeeease??
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic pro 8?

When????

I WANT A COPY!

it will be ok with macbookpro 2.33 c2d?

cant wait for more info

keep us posted!

peace
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

WE WANT MOOOOORRREEEE!!!

I will get my copy on monday
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Curious - sampleaccurate latency compensation on everything? (busses, master, the lot) Groups working on every function they should? A good sounding deesser? Just kidding...
Old 13th September 2007
I got mine today but haven't had a chance to install. Will rock it first thing in the morning.
Old 13th September 2007
Anyone know if Logic can now make use of all 8-cores of the new MacPros?

Logic 7 could only use 4 cores max and EXS sampler could only use 3GB RAM max. Hopefully these specs have been improved, otherwise there's still no point upgrading to a full-spec MacPro.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

8 core compatibility is on the top of my list of questions too.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Anyone know if Logic can now make use of all 8-cores of the new MacPros?
Yes, I know if Logic supports all the 8 cores - and the answer is yes.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

It's a little disturbing that you weren't able to get it to work with your TDM hardware, even if you didn't read the manual.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Ease of use: Apple has done a very, VERY good job in improving the interface. It is smooth, really smooth. Everything makes sense; you could easily get up and running without cracking the manual in no time. Something not easy to do in Logic Pro 7.

Windows have a much better look to them. Colors used are easier on the eye and not as cheesy as they were in Logic 7. The all in 1 window thing is pretty cool. Even with the mixer on 1 monitor and the all in one on the other monitor, I found myself not looking much at the mixer window.
That's the most encouraging thing I've heard. I have a long term love/hate relationship with Logic. I love the power and flexibility. I love the concept of the environment window. I hate the way it seems to work against me. I hate the way it makes simple tasks difficult. If they have made the user interface more transparent, that would be fantastic.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Tried for quite a while to get it to work with my TDM hardware, but couldn't get it working. Now, I didn't even crack the manual though, typical of me.
Keep us up to date on this... Interesting how it's not working..... Hope it's something pretty simple though...
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
once you have it all working - CLONE YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE!

carbon copy cloner, or similar

heh
+100!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

it should be able to use it through core audio manager right.. just not the dsp yet.. right??
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Keep us up to date on this... Interesting how it's not working..... Hope it's something pretty simple though...
most likely b/c Intel Mac's require PT 7.4 to run. octatonic's been using TDM w/ Logic, but he's got PPC G5.

to OP:

-can you post a screenshot of System Performance meter for 8cores (if you got one)?
-do a quick test of outboard latency/delay compensation? please?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

all Im saying is digi better make some upgrades to Native or I may just macpro/ensemble/logic8.......
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
That's the most encouraging thing I've heard. I have a long term love/hate relationship with Logic. I love the power and flexibility. I love the concept of the environment window. I hate the way it seems to work against me. I hate the way it makes simple tasks difficult. If they have made the user interface more transparent, that would be fantastic.
I always get discouraged when i had to create auxes and certain tracks in the environment window, it seems like they have improved the transparacy of that to. I hope i dont ever have to go to that environment window ever again, But that is because im both a musician and a producer,,

Anyone get a chance to mix and tracks some stuff? Ive read that there should be improvements in the audio engine aswell. So i hope these enhancements are aubible.˜

how about those new plugins??
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi!
Same as Barry (Mr Johns), but I used the PT HD I/O via Core Audio, just ot stay simple.

Worked fine, played around with Sculpture for like 20 mins before I realized I had not tried much else, and had to get going.

I agree with all he said. It is MUCH easier to get going now, and I am really, really impressed. There are somet hings that did not happen that i wanted to happen, and some limitations I do not care for, but these are minor things. When comparing the shortcomings of Logic 8 vs PT LE + MPT + DVT2, I do not know yet for sure. Price definitely throws it to Apple. Having used Logic before, I was AMAZED that I could simply start with a blank session and get going so easily without having to worry about importing Environment layers and such to get things going. Much closer to how easy it is to go form blank page in Cubase to compsing a "virtual rock band" type song. If it is that easy now, and one truly does not *have* to hit the Environment to get it all going properly? Yep, works for me!

When I got home, installed just the app and a few little things (much lighter install) on my MacBook Pro. Was after midnight, but I HAD to see how things would be, and in the very little time I played with it- using the built-in MBP sound!!- it was great.

You can buss tracks back into Audio tracks now, which is great. MIDI file import is the same though, and I would very strongly miss the Import Session Data capabilities PT has. Maybe I will find different ways to do this though? Besides, PT does not allow me to do certain things with MIDI file imports either, so no biggie there.

All in all, intial impressions are that I would probably chose it over LE, maybe with that new Duet interface if I were fresh in the market, The biggest drawback for current LE owners I see is the lack of truly solid, efficient CA drivers for Digi's hardware. If I owned LE, and were awaiting 7.4 and deciding to go with MPT or DVT2 for the features and track counts they add, Logic Studio would be a really, really strong alternative I would be considering. Even more so if I were also looking at a new rig for the winter holidays, and might have been considering jumping from a Vista future to a Leopard one....

I am just happy to have an incrdible choice now...
Old 13th September 2007
So far all my 3rd party AU's are rocking. I love the sleek new look. things arent where they were but menus are in more logical places.

Fun times.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

can't wait to get my hands on this... too bad i just spent all my gear money on a sitar :(
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

SAME

and i just spent all my money on PMC monitors!

oh well

will have to wait a bit!

least i can hear properly now!

peace
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
and i just spent all my money on PMC monitors!

oh well

will have to wait a bit!

least i can hear properly now!

peace
Hearing is over rated.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search