The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 8 & PTHD? (TDM/DAE) Can you do this...?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Logic 8 & PTHD? (TDM/DAE) Can you do this...?

Hi just wondering if someone might be able to answer this question?

Is it possible under Logic TDM to use both the Digi Hardware (or Apogee Hardware X-HD)
and say an additional hardware interface such as a firewire M-audio Lightbridge under core audio? I want to get more digital input into the DAW, but can't do it cheaply in digidesign land.

Cheers.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

As far as I remember right this should be possible.

Greetz,

Mike
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Works fine here on Dual G5.
Intel Mac TDM rigs will have to wait for the next release of PT HD.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Can't wait! I've ordered my copy of Logic 8 and really look forward to using it... But since I'm on an Intel Mac / PT HD, I guess there's nothing else but to wait and read up on how everyone else is having fun with it.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Can't wait! I've ordered my copy of Logic 8 and really look forward to using it... But since I'm on an Intel Mac / PT HD, I guess there's nothing else but to wait and read up on how everyone else is having fun with it.
You can run as core audio for a while at least.
The new compressor is SICK.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can run as core audio for a while at least.
The new compressor is SICK.
Naw, I'll wait first. Don't wanna jinx my studio computer just yet since I'm in the middle a few very important projects! heh I'll see how it does in the field, so to speak, before installing it in my computer...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Can you use The TDM hardware just to access the outputs, not the digi plugs and cards. meaning, Could I set up a ruff mix of everything at home with all of my AU plugs and then bring it in to my mix room that has HD and 32 channels of IO feeding a console and mix from there?

I dont really care about digi plugs I just want to access the 32 channels of IO...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft View Post
Can you use The TDM hardware just to access the outputs, not the digi plugs and cards. meaning, Could I set up a ruff mix of everything at home with all of my AU plugs and then bring it in to my mix room that has HD and 32 channels of IO feeding a console and mix from there?

I dont really care about digi plugs I just want to access the 32 channels of IO...
It is not a unified mixer- you can have a lot of native audio channels but they are streames to 8 mono or 4 stereo channels into the DAE mixer.
You can get 32 channels of IO if you move the audio onto the DAE mixer but then you would have to use TDM plugins.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I figured as much. Will Digi ever make a core audio plug that can access all of the connected IO? I mean, that is there flag**** hardware right?

Its kinda rediculous that LE can access all the IO available to them, but HD cannot...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I figured as much. Will Digi ever make a core audio plug that can access all of the connected IO? I mean, that is there flag**** hardware right?

Its kinda rediculous that LE can access all the IO available to them, but HD cannot...
Huh?
No, are looking at it backwards.
You can access up to 96 IO with a tdm rig with no stress on the host computer.

With PT HD you are have amixture of RTAS and TDM on that mixer- it is simply Apple (and Emagic) don't want to unify the mixer for DAE and native- you can still access native plugins but for IO you use TDM, which have the benefit of having almost zero latency.

FWIW, TDM plugins kick ass.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

No, I understand that...

I just want to do all pre mixing in logic at home and then throw out 16 stereo pairs to a my console in my mix room with boatloads of outboard. All of the Digi plugs that I use have an AU equivelant, so the cards are not that usefule to me.
Time is money.

I dont need the digi cards, nor do I want to re-do my mix with them. Thanks though..
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I understand that...

I just want to do all pre mixing in logic at home and then throw out 16 stereo pairs to a my console in my mix room with boatloads of outboard. All of the Digi plugs that I use have an AU equivelant, so the cards are not that usefule to me.
Time is money.

I dont need the digi cards, nor do I want to re-do my mix with them. Thanks though..
You'd be better off finding a room with symphony if you need 32 IO.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I know, but I already have a room with TDM system. oh well, ill mix stereo
Old 13th September 2007
Rab
KMR Audio

Logic 8 & DAE Support?

It would be great to know if anyone gets this going. Can't say I give a monkey's about the new features - solid PTHD support on a MacPro would be worth the price of the upgrade alone.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

DAE support is working for G5's, but intel owners require PT 7.4 which is not out yet.
My guess is AES it will be released.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks Jim,

So what settings do you need to enable? DTDM+Core Audio, DAE+Core Audio ?
I've read the Logic 8 TDM Manual but can't quite figure it out (never having used Logic TDM before...). For example, if you use DAE+Core Audio can you use TDM and AU plugs? Or do you need to se DTDM to do that? I asssume you always need to run DAE at least...

Cheers
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.R.D View Post
Thanks Jim,

So what settings do you need to enable? DTDM+Core Audio, DAE+Core Audio ?
I've read the Logic 8 TDM Manual but can't quite figure it out (never having used Logic TDM before...). For example, if you use DAE+Core Audio can you use TDM and AU plugs? Or do you need to se DTDM to do that? I asssume you always need to run DAE at least...

Cheers
I enable DAE + DTDM and live with the ESB distortion thingy if it happens, I dont use a lot of VI's though so it rarely comes up.

DTDM and Core Audio wouldnt work- DTDM requires DAE to route via.

The other choice is DAE + Core Audio, which some people use, but then you have to sum Core Audio to DAE in the analog realm or AUX it in via DAE Inputs, which seems like too much trouble for my way of working.

1/2 the time I just use DAE, when tracking/mixing rock bands- who needs native?
If I have a big rock production I mostly use Protools HD.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
I enable DAE + DTDM and live with the ESB distortion thingy if it happens, I dont use a lot of VI's though so it rarely comes up.

DTDM and Core Audio wouldnt work- DTDM requires DAE to route via.

The other choice is DAE + Core Audio, which some people use, but then you have to sum Core Audio to DAE in the analog realm or AUX it in via DAE Inputs, which seems like too much trouble for my way of working.

1/2 the time I just use DAE, when tracking/mixing rock bands- who needs native?
If I have a big rock production I mostly use Protools HD.
Sorry...but to clarify...

If you use DAE+DTDM can you use a core audio interface along side TDM hardware?

Cheers
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.R.D View Post
Sorry...but to clarify...

If you use DAE+DTDM can you use a core audio interface along side TDM hardware?

Cheers
Not recommended.
According to Apple you shouldn't use more than two audio engines at once.
You don't really need more than two though- DTDM and Core Audio do essentially the same thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search