The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Studio... is this it? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
fontenele's Avatar
 

Logic Studio... is this it?

Is this it?
Apple - Logic Studio
looks like it is !
I did not even took a good look at it , but .. WOW ... finally.
At a 500 bucks price tag?
lets dig it in
Old 13th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
KBOY's Avatar
 

Wow! I'm a nuendo pc user and love it. I used to use Logic on pc before switching to nuendo. The main reason at the time was for it's editing features and sample accurate editing, grouping clips and so forth. Plus Logic was about to move over to mac exclusively. But mainly for nuendos editing features and ease of use. But I always dug the coloring and the basic layout of logic.

This version addresses so many issues I had and then some. It looks beautiful to boot. With the power of macs these days, and the way they have improved this software it makes me almost want to switch and buy a mac as well.

Looks great! Question, might be a stupid question but does logic have full latency compensation?

Oh, and I love love love the fact that you can record to channels from where ever in the mixer. There is a lot of ingenious features in this version. Very cool.
Old 13th September 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
mersisblue's Avatar
 

"Freeze Tracks provides an easy way to play large projects on less powerful systems or on computers that do not have the original project plug-ins installed."

in logic 7 frozen plugins that you dont have authrizations for dont play

so i hope they know what they're talking about and that thios is accurate
Old 13th September 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
strauss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
Wow! I'm a nuendo pc user and love it. I used to use Logic on pc before switching to nuendo. The main reason at the time was for it's editing features and sample accurate editing, grouping clips and so forth. Plus Logic was about to move over to mac exclusively. But mainly for nuendos editing features and ease of use. But I always dug the coloring and the basic layout of logic.

This version addresses so many issues I had and then some. It looks beautiful to boot. With the power of macs these days, and the way they have improved this software it makes me almost want to switch and buy a mac as well.

Looks great! Question, might be a stupid question but does logic have full latency compensation?

Oh, and I love love love the fact that you can record to channels from where ever in the mixer. There is a lot of ingenious features in this version. Very cool.
Depending on how you use Nuendo, there's no reason to switch.
Delay compensation is still broken and editing goes way deeper in Nuendo (imo).
Also still no direct monitoring.

The biggest advantage with Logic over Nuend now is that it's so cheap, no dongle and proper support for 8 cores.
Old 14th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
mersisblue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss View Post
Depending on how you use Nuendo, there's no reason to switch.
Delay compensation is still broken and editing goes way deeper in Nuendo (imo).
Also still no direct monitoring.

The biggest advantage with Logic over Nuend now is that it's so cheap, no dongle and proper support for 8 cores.
multi tak e much better then nuendo 3 ( last versioj i used

from what it looks like and also comping . only thing nuendo had was audio ediiting in the arrange which logic has big hurdle over done with

and time strecthing in the arrange

both now in logic it seems from the videos anyway

also logics mixer is better then Nuendos IMO
Old 14th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
jjdpro's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

Okay, after my initial complaints about Logic, I now see what Apple was trying to accomplish..

They wanted to address the features:

-Sample accurate audio editing.

-Delay compensation thru out the app..

-new audio engine

-Updated Interface

-Update the mixer.

YET........
-Maintain it's core Logic midi sequencer which is superb..
-keep those enviorments...(Hidden) thank God.

Although I would've like to see better looking Faders (Realistic), I think this is a new step forward for Logic audio and well as one heck of a deal..
Old 14th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DaveC's Avatar
 

Quote:
Although I would've like to see better looking Faders
Why Emagic or even Apple never changed the look of those
hideous looking faders is beyond me...
Even Sonar has a better looking mixer, oh well...
Glad to hear that the midi-sequencer is still intact and the environment
is still there; it's mainly the reason why I use Logic.
Old 15th September 2007
  #8
Gear Head
 
b_stone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss View Post
Depending on how you use Nuendo, there's no reason to switch.
Delay compensation is still broken and editing goes way deeper in Nuendo (imo).
Also still no direct monitoring.

The biggest advantage with Logic over Nuend now is that it's so cheap, no dongle and proper support for 8 cores.
Have you been using Logic Pro 8? How do you know so much so quickly?
Old 15th September 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
strauss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_stone View Post
Have you been using Logic Pro 8? How do you know so much so quickly?
You can read about their delay compensation in the manual and DP is currently the only one that support direct monitoring on OSX, but only with MOTU interfaces!
Old 15th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
Yeah, but if you have a Motu interface you can use direct monitoring with any DAW. Including Logic. I have a 2408mk3 and I tried it a few times. But for me 128 sample delay is fine so I don't use it.
Old 15th September 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

is that similiar to low latency monitoring on pro tools le? because i think i could get away with 64 samples but not so sure about 128 for tracking rap vocals...
Old 15th September 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss View Post
Also still no direct monitoring.
Logic has had direct monitoring for many years, it's just been implemented in a very non-Apple-like way, with the result that lots of people either don't know what it is, why they need it, how to use it, or know what it is but don't want to use it because of how it's implemented. That fact that you think it's not there says a lot...

What you need to do is
1) Switch off Software Monitoring
2) Ask yourself why you don't hear yourself anymore (during record)
3) Dive into whatever 3rd part mixer application you use and adjust levels, pans, mutes etc. there.

A better direct monitoring solution is the main thing that Logic 8 is missing.
Old 15th September 2007
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Talking Fantastic!

Just arrived yesterday... I'm only a recent convert from Cubase 4, but this version of Logic is brilliant - much easier to understand than version 7 and clearly laid out....

Maybe it could be a Pro Tools killer after all...? I've seen a lot of the TDM Plugin companies making AU versions of their software, and of course there's the Apogee collaboration... who knows? Let's see... price is much more accessible now too...

I've only been using the new version for a few hours, but very happy with it so far!
Old 15th September 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
strauss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
What you need to do is
1) Switch off Software Monitoring
2) Ask yourself why you don't hear yourself anymore (during record)
3) Dive into whatever 3rd part mixer application you use and adjust levels, pans, mutes etc. there.

A better direct monitoring solution is the main thing that Logic 8 is missing.
In Nuendo/Cubase it works a lot more elegant, I can even control the mixer levels in Totalmix (RME's mixer) within Nuendo and it will even follow the routing.
I was answering to someone who asked if he should switch from Nuendo to Logic and I see no reason to do that, feature wise.
Old 16th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss View Post
In Nuendo/Cubase it works a lot more elegant, I can even control the mixer levels in Totalmix (RME's mixer) within Nuendo and it will even follow the routing.
It works better in Nuendo, Cubase, Digital Performer (with MoTu interfaces) and Pro Tools HD. I, for one, have a hard time finding out why Apple haven't put more effort into improving this. Maybe they have, maybe we'll see some great Apogee interface with great Logic integration being released on Monday - but so far, it seems that they either ignore the problem or for some reason don't want to solve it. One (in my opinion not very valid) reason not to improve anything in this area is to 'force' people to buy faster computers and leave software monitoring on all the time, but based on what we see in Logic 8, Apple cares more for their customer than that.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
StudioLogic / Product Alerts older than 2 months
0
StefanColson / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
19
eliottjames / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump