The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 8 is out ... what now Digi ? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2007
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Logic 8 is out ... what now Digi ?

I'm waiting three months ....

if PT HD Lite does'nt come out ...

with unlimited tracks , ADC , and a kick ass audio interface ...

I'm buying into an Apple / Apogee system ....

as I think many of us here may well do ...

Come on Digi ... prove me wrong ....
Old 13th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

why bother waiting? the apogee/apple solution walks all over the digidesign offerings
Old 13th September 2007
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Apogee AD-16x $ 3250

Apogee DA-16x $ 3250

Apogee Symphony $ 1075

Apple Logic Pro 8 $ 499

Total $ 8074

not exactly a decision to be taken lightly ...
Old 13th September 2007
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
why bother waiting? the apogee/apple solution walks all over the digidesign offerings
Does it though? I mean logic 8 is barely out. For all we know it could be buggier than a 3-day old raccoon carcass. Though I do agree the Apogee partnership thing is a very good move, and the hardware looks pretty damn good.
Old 13th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post

with unlimited tracks , ADC , and a kick ass audio interface ...
so logic 8 does in fact have ADC? i havent heard an absolutely definitive answer on this, keep hearing contradictory statements
Old 13th September 2007
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
Apogee AD-16x $ 3250

Apogee DA-16x $ 3250

Apogee Symphony $ 1075

Apple Logic Pro 8 $ 499

Total $ 8074

not exactly a decision to be taken lightly ...
True - and it's like that's *so* much cheaper than an HD rig.....

The guy behind the wheel is more important than the car he's in.
Old 13th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
so logic 8 does in fact have ADC? i havent heard an absolutely definitive answer on this, keep hearing contradictory statements
good question!

Old 13th September 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
why bother waiting? the apogee/apple solution walks all over the digidesign offerings
well...... in some ways yes, in some ways no.........

Old 13th September 2007
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
so logic 8 does in fact have ADC? i havent heard an absolutely definitive answer on this, keep hearing contradictory statements
technically yes, but it's seriously flawwed... they actually have a support page on their site that explains it...
Old 13th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
Apogee AD-16x $ 3250

Apogee DA-16x $ 3250

Apogee Symphony $ 1075

Apple Logic Pro 8 $ 499

Total $ 8074

not exactly a decision to be taken lightly ...
couldnt you also go w/ the lynx aurora 16 instead of the apogee's?...save over $3000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
technically yes, but it's seriously flawwed... they actually have a support page on their site that explains it...
i knew it was too good to be true...
Old 13th September 2007
  #11
Gear Addict
 

yes you could go the Lynx way ... would the latency be as low ... ?

.... anyone using a system like this ?
Old 13th September 2007
  #12
Old 13th September 2007
  #13
Gear Guru
I just hope Logic benefits from the Apple connection. The problem with Logic has always been ergonomics. It has an amazing capacity to make things difficult. And ergonomics has always been Apple's strongest suit.
Old 13th September 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
Apogee AD-16x $ 3250

Apogee DA-16x $ 3250

Apogee Symphony $ 1075

Apple Logic Pro 8 $ 499

Total $ 8074

not exactly a decision to be taken lightly ...

I'll take it lightly. You factor the cost of pro-tools, and then factor in the cost of Plug-ins and audio instruments you get for that $499 that logic costs.

Also, If I were you I would actually CALL some dealers. you can get that apogee stuff for cheaper than you listed. especially if you're buying all this stuff from the same dealer.
Old 13th September 2007
  #15
Gear Addict
 

Hey hangman .... care to suggest a dealer ? ....
Old 13th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
six_wax's Avatar
 

The online tour of LAP8 looks *amazing*. It really does look like the overhaul of the UI & workflow that everyone was hoping for with LAP7. The enhanced audio editing addresses a huge liability, and the inclusion of such an arsenal of soundsets and softsynths makes for a pretty compelling package. (I can think of about a dozen uses for MainStage too.)

I'm wondering if the Environment configurability which made LAP such a powerful platform back in the MIDI days is still there, or whether it's been buried by the UI & Menu overhaul...

Exceedingly cool looking upgrade. They'll get my $200 just to bring my laptop current...
Old 13th September 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax View Post
I'm wondering if the Environment configurability which made LAP such a powerful platform back in the MIDI days is still there, or whether it's been buried by the UI & Menu overhaul...
Yes it's still there
Old 13th September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax View Post
The online tour of LAP8 looks *amazing*. It really does look like the overhaul of the UI & workflow that everyone was hoping for with LAP7. The enhanced audio editing addresses a huge liability, and the inclusion of such an arsenal of soundsets and softsynths makes for a pretty compelling package. (I can think of about a dozen uses for MainStage too.)

I'm wondering if the Environment configurability which made LAP such a powerful platform back in the MIDI days is still there, or whether it's been buried by the UI & Menu overhaul...

Exceedingly cool looking upgrade. They'll get my $200 just to bring my laptop current...
the Environment is in tact. and can be used if you want. The cool thing, is that for people that just want to press record and go... they don't even have to look at the environment. some new logic users may never realize its there. (kind of a sad thought really)

SupaDupa - I PM'd you who I would go to.
Old 13th September 2007
  #19
Gear Nut
 
AcousTronic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
I just hope Logic benefits from the Apple connection. The problem with Logic has always been ergonomics. It has an amazing capacity to make things difficult. And ergonomics has always been Apple's strongest suit.
Based on what I have read and saw on the brief video demo's, it looks as though they are finally getting it right and setting a new standard as Apple tends to do. Thay are touting you can do most of your work on one screen, while bringing in other "elements", rather than bouncing between 8 different screens...

Plus, more features, combine Soundtrack Pro2 and Main Stage then cut the price in half??? can you say going after the "SWITCHER" market in a serious way?!!!
Old 13th September 2007
  #20
so what will 7.4 bring? "elastic audio" that was in logic 7........which was ages ago! apparently an overhal of the way PT handles audio, fraid apple got there first as well by the looks of things.

the replacement control 24? its probably going to be good but very expensive. and also most likely not support any other DAW (still cant belive the massive gap in the market for a decent controller, NOT THE MACKIE!!)

digi must have at least speculated that logic 8 was going to raise the bar, do they have something hidden in the dark waiting?

lets say PT overhauls the way it deals with audio, includes ADC, has unlimited track count, drops the need for digi hardware and includes all the new AIR instruments. suddenly it seems digi are playing catch up? logic 8 did all of these.....and for a fraction of the price.

where do digi go from here?
Old 13th September 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
jindrich's Avatar
 

Well the price is indeed surprisingly low. Not many years ago all those pieces sold separately and you had to spend close to $4k to get them all. Some of us know it quite well

And yet today in a very clever move to kill ALL DAW competitors Apple is selling for $500 -and no more annoying usb key. Btw, the new multi take and comping features look really cool.
Also great is that now you can open the app and start from scratch a new enviroment/config to track a whole band and arm all the 16-200 tracks in just... 2 secs! welcome to the new logic-logic 8 was about time.

Ptools got a serious rival this time.

Incidentally, the new logic studio 8 with the new apogee Duet and a Macbook make for a killer HI-QUALITY mobile system (battery powered), that you can actually carry as hand-lugagge for just $2,000.
Old 13th September 2007
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
Hey hangman .... care to suggest a dealer ? ....
I'll PM you...
Old 13th September 2007
  #23
Here for the gear
 

I'm sending a clear message to Digidesign. Include ADC and unlimited track count in Pro Tools LE soon or I'm moving to Logic 8. Simple as that.
Old 13th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
I'm waiting three months ....

if PT HD Lite does'nt come out ...

with unlimited tracks , ADC , and a kick ass audio interface ...

I'm buying into an Apple / Apogee system ....

as I think many of us here may well do ...

Come on Digi ... prove me wrong ....
Why are you posting this? Have you called Digi and told them yet???
Old 13th September 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
PhilE's Avatar
Is Logic vs Protools not a touch redundant? I've always seen ProTools as more about the hardware than the software. Most folks I know who use Logic have it strapped across PT as a front end.
I guess LE has changed all this for thousands of people? I got caught up in the idea a while back- got Logic Pro and found native systems to still fall a little short in practice (bare in mind I've been using TDM since 99) I found the same with PTLE systems.
I dont think Logic will damage HD but maybe the LE market. Personally I'd rather see Digi dump the native thing and concentrate on establishing HD as as far ahead of the game as Mix once was. Bad business but maybe just the thing that could save them long term.
Old 13th September 2007
  #26
Gear Addict
 

I find the work flow on PT HD .. SLOWER that PTLE ... on a fast mac

That's why I use PTLE to mix , believe it or not ....

BTW ... I do rock ... so no HIGH track counts ...

**** loads of parallel AUX busses though ...

did you know you can have 128 AUX tracks in PT LE !
Old 13th September 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
I find the work flow on PT HD .. SLOWER that PTLE ... on a fast mac

That's why I use PTLE to mix , believe it or not ....

BTW ... I do rock ... so no HIGH track counts ...

**** loads of parallel AUX busses though ...

did you know you can have 128 AUX tracks in PT LE !
Thats a lot of latency compensation to be doing.
Old 13th September 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
 
lowfreq33's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
True - and it's like that's *so* much cheaper than an HD rig.....

The guy behind the wheel is more important than the car he's in.
That's true to a certain extent, but if I was in a Ferarri and Jeff Gordon was in a Hyundai I'm pretty sure he'd get smoked.
Old 13th September 2007
  #29
Gear Addict
 

You would be surprised how little you have to compensate for ...

PT LE has a very basic form of latency compensation ...

Almost all the plugins I use have no latency in PTLE ...

for instance ... the URS strip Pro has NO latency !!

and for the tracks that have Drumagog on them ...

there is Option + H ...

check it out ... like I said ... you would be surprised how good it is ...
Old 13th September 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 
lowfreq33's Avatar
 

Absolutely. If you know what you're doing it's no problem to work around the lack of ADC.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
G-lay / Music Computers
9
needlz / So much gear, so little time
2
gsilbers / Music Computers
6
jgrif08 / So much gear, so little time
5
Morningstar / Music Computers
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump