The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 8 is out ... what now Digi ? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacle View Post
Logic Pro 8 user here. No bugs I've seen yet, including the specific ones that some people seem to be experiencing. None of the problems with regard to audio overload (actually seems to be less CPU- and disk-intensive than before). No crashes either, which was a pleasant surprise. Indeed, in addition to being a big step up visually and workflow-wise, version 8 is much more stable and fast for me than 7.2.

I read literally thousands of posts about this new release and waited about a month before I finally bought it, just to be sure. But it is money very well spent, if you ask me.
Certainly encouraging. I've only spent about 4 hours or so with Logic 8, I bought it the day it came out. I've had it crash on me 2 or 3 times, the solo button wigged out, flashing on and off, I've had blinking channel strips, all in the short period of time I worked with it. Now, I have only used it with my Mac's soundcard. These issues are minor and for all I know related to some old files that I brought up that were done in Logic 7.

I have been very impressed though at first glance. I'm looking forward to really testing it out when my Apogee Duet gets here next week.

Now, I've not had a single issue of any kind on my Protools HD rig. I made the switch from Logic Pro 7 with Apogee/Symphony to my current HD2 Accel PCIe Protools Rig.

Good to hear you're not having any issues though. However, there are so many documented issues by other users. Granted some of these issues are the same issues that were in Logic 7 as well.

I wouldn’t urge caution if someone was making the switch from another Native DAW, but moving from Protools HD is a huge move and I would not do so lightly. That’s all I’m saying. It may be fine and very well could be the best thing you’ve ever done. I wouldn’t do it simply because Logic’s Delay Compensation doesn’t work with outboard while tracking, it does during mixing, but not recording. My personal workflow depends on this.

I my opinion, if you're recording, regardless of what your primary DAW is, and you're on a Mac, you have to buy Logic Studio. It is just too compelling. It is a composing dream come true.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Certainly encouraging. I've only spent about 4 hours or so with Logic 8, I bought it the day it came out. I've had it crash on me 2 or 3 times, the solo button wigged out, flashing on and off, I've had blinking channel strips, all in the short period of time I worked with it. Now, I have only used it with my Mac's soundcard. These issues are minor and for all I know related to some old files that I brought up that were done in Logic 7.

I have been very impressed though at first glance. I'm looking forward to really testing it out when my Apogee Duet gets here next week.

Now, I've not had a single issue of any kind on my Protools HD rig. I made the switch from Logic Pro 7 with Apogee/Symphony to my current HD2 Accel PCIe Protools Rig.

Good to hear you're not having any issues though. However, there are so many documented issues by other users. Granted some of these issues are the same issues that were in Logic 7 as well.

I wouldn’t urge caution if someone was making the switch from another Native DAW, but moving from Protools HD is a huge move and I would not do so lightly. That’s all I’m saying. It may be fine and very well could be the best thing you’ve ever done. I wouldn’t do it simply because Logic’s Delay Compensation doesn’t work with outboard while tracking, it does during mixing, but not recording. My personal workflow depends on this.

I my opinion, if you're recording, regardless of what your primary DAW is, and you're on a Mac, you have to buy Logic Studio. It is just too compelling. It is a composing dream come true.

I've used it about a week now.

No crashes, a few oddball things, nothing really show stopping. Very stable. Easy to use, zippy, quick. Not my pick for best audio editing app, but it will do for generalized stuff. Hard to beat at this price. Offline bouncing saves tons of time. Automatically adding bounces to the iTunes library is a a cool option. Loads a ton of VI's with no problem. Yeah very impressive. Comping thing is really cool. Best idea yet....also working well with imported QT movies for scoring. This thing was a grand last year...

TH
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I've used it about a week now.

No crashes, a few oddball things, nothing really show stopping. Very stable. Easy to use, zippy, quick. Not my pick for best audio editing app, but it will do for generalized stuff. Hard to beat at this price. Offline bouncing saves tons of time. Automatically adding bounces to the iTunes library is a a cool option. Loads a ton of VI's with no problem. Yeah very impressive. Comping thing is really cool. Best idea yet....also working well with imported QT movies for scoring. This thing was a grand last year...

TH
Good to hear Tom. Did you end up going Symphony?
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
However, there are so many documented issues by other users. Granted some of these issues are the same issues that were in Logic 7 as well.
True, though most of these issues seem not to be universal, but appear to be system- or user-specific concerns that will gradually be resolved by tweaking things a bit. Yes, several people might report the same problem. But if other Logic users are not experiencing it, it has to be something specific about the way in which those particular users are doing things, and not a problem with Logic itself. And keep in mind that very few people who are experiencing no difficulties are going to take the time to post on forums about this.

Quote:
I wouldn’t urge caution if someone was making the switch from another Native DAW, but moving from Protools HD is a huge move and I would not do so lightly. That’s all I’m saying.
I totally hear you on this.

Quote:
In my opinion, if you're recording, regardless of what your primary DAW is, and you're on a Mac, you have to buy Logic Studio. It is just too compelling. It is a composing dream come true.
Absolutely. And for this price? A no-brainer, really. Maybe not the best for each person's particular needs, but I'd say definitely the most comprehensive tool out there right now, overall.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you guys doing your homework? Logic 8 is full of bugs. Check out threads here as well as Sonikmater and Apple's Logic 8 forum.
There certainly are bugs in Logic 8, some old, some new... as expected. All software has a lot of bugs, including bugs most of us won't find because we don't use certain features. As a long time Pro Tools users, I've been watching Digidesign's user conference since the launched it (and still do, even if I don't use PT anymore), and even if PT isn't a .0-version, people post about bugs and error there too, pretty much every day. I'm sure you've seen posts there like "Keyboard Controller - Help", "Copy Paste Problem. Don't Have A Work Around. Could Use One!", "Pro Tools HD 7.3 Error", "32 byte Token Error", "DAE Error - 1115 on Launching Protools 7.3.1 HD Accel Core", "7.3.1cs4 & cs5 Clocking Bug", "Weird Delay Compensation Thing Happened...Help Please!!!" etc... just to name some threads there from the last few days. I'm sure both Logic and Pro Tools have hundreds of bugs. Pro Tools users who claim that "Pro Tools just works - always" can't have seen all the problems other PT users have. There are both Logic users and PT users that claim that their DAW is bug free...

Quote:
I certainly can see why Logic 8 is so compelling on the surface, but IMO, the timing is not right.
I actually agree - Logic could have been released a few weeks later, but thousands of people had been waiting for Apple to release Logic 8 for a long time, and I'm sure it's tough to make a decision about release dates.

Leopard is due in a few days, and I wouldn't be surprised if Logic 8.01 would be out very soon as well. Leopard wasn't finalized when Logic 8 was released, and if they want Logic users to buy Leopard, they need to release a Logic version that has been tested with the release version of Leopard.
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Are you guys doing your homework? Logic 8 is full of bugs. Check out threads here as well as Sonikmater and Apple's Logic 8 forum.

I like what I see in Logic 8, I've got a Duet on the way so I can seriously mess with it more. But as it is right now, leaving my HD2 Accel PCIe system, no, can't see it. Most people, who see the grass as greener on the other side, often end up going back home.

I certainly can see why Logic 8 is so compelling on the surface, but IMO, the timing is not right.
is pro tools bugs free? have a look also to DUC. I use PTHD since many years and it still has 2 or 3 years old bugs. I think that the DAW software is a choice, clients must understand that the pro side is on the outboards and converters edge.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuoriporta View Post
is pro tools bugs free? have a look also to DUC.
Or look here:
Answerbase

Pro Tools is NOT bug free, and Digidesign never claimed that it was.

Would Digidesign have a public database covering hundreds of error messages in Pro Tools if there were no errors or bugs in PT?

Quote:
I think that the DAW software is a choice, clients must understand that the pro side is on the outboards and converters edge.
Converters, interfaces and other outboard gear is definitely important, but although the differences between a $1500 system and a $15000 are less significant than ever before, there are big differences between the various DAWs too. Digidesign's problem is that anything that's software based can be updated, so less expensive solutions are more attractive than ever, and, at the same time, less people are willing to pay lots to keep updating their DSP hardware.

On another note, new, sealed HD3 PCIe systems are being sold for $8,500 now (on eBay), now. It almost looks like someone are selling out HD systems for Digidesign for less than the dealer price. Maybe Pro Tools Pro is coming soon?
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

10/22 06:25AM
Avid Tech- AVID says Chief Technology Officer Michael Rockwell has resigned

Just saw this headline - don't know how much control the CTO of AVID has over the development of the Digidesign/Pro Tools product line but this could lead to a change of strategy for the company.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
On another note, new, sealed HD3 PCIe systems are being sold for $8,500 now (on eBay), now. It almost looks like someone are selling out HD systems for Digidesign for less than the dealer price. Maybe Pro Tools Pro is coming soon?
It would be great to see Digi change their game plan up. Of course it would take a drastic drop in HD sales for them to do this.

I'll still track and edit in PT over Logic any day. Nothing about Logic 8 has changed that for me. Of course nothing about PT 7.4 is going to sway me from opening Logic come midi time.

I had hoped version 8 of Logic would end this 2 daw dance for me but apparantly Apple thought fitting everything into a single window interface was the best way to direct their efforts over the past 3 years.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good to hear Tom. Did you end up going Symphony?
Yes....I am using Ensemble right now as I wait for Symphony to arrive.

I was very impressed with Ensemble, I think it sounded as good as my HD2 did

But I think in the long run the Symphony will be a better investment and will allow me to change converters, etc down the road if I need to, and just seems, overall like a more solid system. I am not a fan of Firewire

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am really impressed with Logic, and though there are some head shaking moments here and there, I have really been pretty..knock on wood,...crash free. Most of the time the program is waiting on me, not the reverse

Tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search