The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 8 is out ... what now Digi ? Audio Interfaces
Old 17th October 2007
  #151
I'm on PRO TOOLS LE and HD but still... just ordered LOGIC8 coz the package is just so BIG and IRRESISTIBLE - BIG BANG for the BUCK - will be a fantastic playground for all the hardware I have.

Got my LOGIC 8 $445 via eBay (hint, try BEST OFFER - it works)
Old 17th October 2007
  #152
Gear Maniac
 

who's switching? of course - probably - producers and not commercial studios. who's leaving unsupported PTHD for Logic on Symphony?
Old 17th October 2007
  #153
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
just because logic has some great features and plugins, it's cheap, it has surround, midi and other features doesn't make it a pro program...

the fact it has bugs that have been ignored for so long that slows down my work flow and is counter-productive takes the pro out of it for me

i'd be quite happy paying more than double the price to have a program (preferably logic) that is stable and works well

since i've been working in 8, i've reported close on 15 issues - i've been on logic for 5 years now
Old 17th October 2007
  #154
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
i wonder if pro tools 7.4 will include multi-channel elastic time for LE, that is the question!!!!!

as long as you don't stretch the transients and just stretch the sustain, you should be able to keep the sound quality quite natural
Old 17th October 2007
  #155
Gear Addict
 
PistolP's Avatar
logic is ideal for songwriting and producing. if you want the best quality you´ll have to get the radar. radar sounds somhow bigger than digi and apogee to me.
I am getting logic 8 in the near future. it will be staisfy all my needs.

I do understand the ´goodness´ of protools hd but the digi 003 is just an overpriced semi-pro system.
Old 18th October 2007
  #156
Lives for gear
 
barryjohns's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuoriporta View Post
I own pro tools HD too. so do you think that switching to a mac pro 8 core with a rack fullfilled by Apogees AD-16X and DA-16X plus a Prism ADA-8, a new side console by SSL and a bunch of GMLs, Millennia, TubeTech, APIs outboards means to NOT be in a pro level?

I think that the pro level is set by converters, outboards, mic, producer's knowledge. not the DAW. The old PT DAW. this is evolution
Ok, if you are going to quote me, then at least have the decency to read what I said and not use my statements out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I think you take the plunge regardless. The complete package is nothing short of amazing. Time will work out the issues.

Now, that being said. I would not put my eggs in this basket on a pro level. No way. Go to Apple's Logic 8 forum as well as Sonikmater for Logic 8 and you will read about a TON of issues with Logic 8.
My reference to Pro was the fact that Logic 8 is not very stable at this point, therefore, a pro would not want to take a chance on any part in their system that was not reliable. It had nothing to do with Logic 8 being a pro capable DAW, nor did I say anything about a DAW being instrumental in a Pro setup.

Once Logic 8 is stable, then of course it should be able to be a Pro contender.
Old 18th October 2007
  #157
JPZ
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
just because logic has some great features and plugins, it's cheap, it has surround, midi and other features doesn't make it a pro program...

the fact it has bugs that have been ignored for so long that slows down my work flow and is counter-productive takes the pro out of it for me

i'd be quite happy paying more than double the price to have a program (preferably logic) that is stable and works well

since i've been working in 8, i've reported close on 15 issues - i've been on logic for 5 years now
Dude, it's a "pro" program. I've been through many versions of Pro Tools that had bugs out the ying yang making it virtually unusable and it was still considered "pro". Anyone remember that wonderful 4.0 release? 7.0? The .0 release of most software is always the most buggy. Hang in there man, have faith, things will get better.
Old 18th October 2007
  #158
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Dude, it's a "pro" program. I've been through many versions of Pro Tools that had bugs out the ying yang making it virtually unusable and it was still considered "pro". Anyone remember that wonderful 4.0 release? 7.0? The .0 release of most software is always the most buggy. Hang in there man, have faith, things will get better.
full quote. furthermore, on my mac Logic 8 is really stable bot at 48k and 96k, both with TDM and Core.
Old 18th October 2007
  #159
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuoriporta View Post
full quote. furthermore, on my mac Logic 8 is really stable bot at 48k and 96k, both with TDM and Core.
logic is stable, that's not my problem - though i had several crashes based on take folders

i generally never jump in on version 0 releases but i think after 3 years we had all hoped they had gone through extra effort to fix the long standing issues and that's why i'm mostly disappointed

note that i stated that many of the bugs are long standing, am i'm not the only one who's saying that.

there are some new bugs andwe have to be vigilant and report these to apple because if they don't get feedback about the issues, then there is no issue and that's how these bugs end up staying behind and forgotten about

i used pro tools for ages and as long as you have the configuration as digidesign recommend then for the most part it's very stable. i've had very few crashes with pro tools though only started using since version 5. they also release CS updates quite often to fix niggly bugs whereas apple takes ages to release an update

i'm all for logic, it's my main application so i want it to be perfect as much as everyone else here
Old 18th October 2007
  #160
Gear Maniac
 

a question:

if I track in Logic using CoreAudio and selecting the Digidesign HW as I/O, do I get the TDM latncy or the CoreAudio latency?
Old 18th October 2007
  #161
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuoriporta View Post
a question:

if I track in Logic using CoreAudio and selecting the Digidesign HW as I/O, do I get the TDM latncy or the CoreAudio latency?
core audio latency
Old 18th October 2007
  #162
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
core audio latency
so it's quite stange that I had no audible latency today, using logic 8 through core audio and monitoring/recording through digi HW.

I selected "digi HW" in the core audio prefs of logic, then recorded 8 simultaneous tracks, and I was playing a les paul with 3 logic plugins inserted: an eq, an amp simulator and a stereo delay.

then I played back 8 tracks, recording other 8 and playing again: no latency. not bad, Apogee Symphony system should be even better.
Old 18th October 2007
  #163
JPZ
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post

i used pro tools for ages and as long as you have the configuration as digidesign recommend then for the most part it's very stable.
Simply not true.
Old 19th October 2007
  #164
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Simply not true.
i can only state from my experience and that was indeed the case...
i'm obviously referring to on a mac here

can probably count the amount of times on my hand that it crashed...if ever i did have issues it was generally a 3rd party plug-in
Old 19th October 2007
  #165
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Simply not true.
Sorry but it's absolutely true. You obviously don't know how to configure a PT rig.
Old 19th October 2007
  #166
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Sorry but it's absolutely true. You obviously don't know how to configure a PT rig.
but still it has many bugs, not less than L8. Logic miss only BD and may miss VCA. but it has many goodies that PT doesn't have. I own a PTHD rig but I'm thinking about to switch to an 8-core Apogee Symphony System with AD-16Xs and DA-16Xs. Furthermore L8 sounds good, if we really can recognize any big difference between DAWs.
Old 19th October 2007
  #167
JPZ
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Sorry but it's absolutely true. You obviously don't know how to configure a PT rig.
I've been configuring PT rigs for myself and for clients for years (mid 90's). More rigs than I'm sure you have ever seen in your life. Nowadays for the most part configuring a studio setup is a no brainer but back in the day it wasn't so. What I'm saying is that Digi over the years has, at times, released unstable and buggy software. It didn't matter if everything was on the approved list or not, the software wasn't properly tested and simply did not work as advertised. Also, as you get into some of the mammoth 100 + input dual rigs, the interplay between all components etc.... can make things mighty unstable. I've seen "approved" setups bring big productions to a stop. You need to think before you say things about which you don't know.
Old 19th October 2007
  #168
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
when i had a system that worked i kept it that way for a while. when a new update was released i waited until a cs update or 2 was released and then updated

logic 8 was the first time i jumped on a "0" release but i guarantee you there are loads of bugs. even the SOS review stated that there are still long standing bugs that haven't been resolved. they hamper my workflow but i can't drop logic....it's only in the editing department that it gets to me. for the rest i'm quite happy with but please give us 'group solo'!!!!!!!

i have heard from that pro tools le will definitely include multi-channel phase coherent elastic audio...that's amazing and pretty much makes BD redundant though i can think of a couple of instances it could still be helpful though i guess it depends on the quality of the time compression/expansion in elastic audio!!
i reckon i'll be doing my editing in pro tools for the next while until logic catches up
Old 19th October 2007
  #169
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Ahem...so, if he did know how to configure a PT rig (since he "obviously" doesn't), then it would be unstable and crash? But since he "obviously" doesn't know how, then it's either stable as he claims, or the stability is only his imagination?
What are you talking about?!

He was making the statement that a properly configured PT rig will not be stable. Pure BS.
Old 19th October 2007
  #170
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
You need to think before you say things about which you don't know.
Only speaking from professional experience. Sorry to hear that you have had so many problems with the systems that you have configured.

PTHD is rock solid. Great systems when configured properly.
Old 19th October 2007
  #171
JPZ
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Only speaking from professional experience. Sorry to hear that you have had so many problems with the systems that you have configured.

PTHD is rock solid. Great systems when configured properly.
Dude, you're an idiot. If you read the post it was that Digi has put out, AT TIMES, buggy and unstable software. It has nothing to do with your brilliant configurations that you keep talking about. As far as PTHD, there is almost no "configuration" to speak of compared to back in the day so you ain't all that. Jeez.
Old 19th October 2007
  #172
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Dude, you're an idiot. If you read the post it was that Digi has put out, AT TIMES, buggy and unstable software. It has nothing to do with your brilliant configurations that you keep talking about. As far as PTHD, there is almost no "configuration" to speak of compared to back in the day so you ain't all that. Jeez.
***edited because personal attacks over gear are just ********! Bowing out.***
Old 20th October 2007
  #173
JPZ
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Macleodgrant stated that a properly configured PT system will be 'for the most part' stable. You responded by saying this was 'simply not true'. That is complete BS.

As far as me being an idiot well fuuck you.
Exactly and it is simply true that if the software itself has bugs then it doesn't matter if the system is "properly" configured or not. It's gonna crash, corrupt sessions, not perform as advertised, piss you and your clients off anyway.
Old 20th October 2007
  #174
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Exactly and it is simply true that if the software itself has bugs then it doesn't matter if the system is "properly" configured or not. It's gonna crash, corrupt sessions, not perform as advertised, piss you and your clients off anyway.
From that angle, I totally agree. For the most part however, I've had a much smoother ride with PT than Logic as far as buggy software goes but guess that's just been my experience.

I'm out.
Old 20th October 2007
  #175
Lives for gear
 
mix-it-well's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
True - and it's like that's *so* much cheaper than an HD rig.....

The guy behind the wheel is more important than the car he's in.
Why take a VW when you can get a BMW for the same price?
Old 20th October 2007
  #176
JPZ
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
***edited because personal attacks over gear are just ********! Bowing out.***
Sorry there I was just kidding around not trying to personally attack you. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your sarcasm was funny though so I didn't think it would bother you.
Old 20th October 2007
  #177
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Sorry there I was just kidding around not trying to personally attack you. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your sarcasm was funny though so I didn't think it would bother you.
My apologies as well (I was actually referring to me being '********' for jumping in to the discussion the way I did). Been couped up editing all day which tends to make me super pissy.
Old 20th October 2007
  #178
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
i reckon i'll be doing my editing in pro tools for the next while until logic catches up
then you'll switch to Logic? just to know, because I may do it very soon, but the switch will be from a PTHD2 rig with procontrol to apo symphony with a few AD and DA-16X and SSL or API summing + PT LE just to have it for clients. any suggestion for a commercial studio that works a lot as producer but still needs clients?
Old 22nd October 2007
  #179
Lives for gear
 
barryjohns's Avatar
 

Are you guys doing your homework? Logic 8 is full of bugs. Check out threads here as well as Sonikmater and Apple's Logic 8 forum.

I like what I see in Logic 8, I've got a Duet on the way so I can seriously mess with it more. But as it is right now, leaving my HD2 Accel PCIe system, no, can't see it. Most people, who see the grass as greener on the other side, often end up going back home.

I certainly can see why Logic 8 is so compelling on the surface, but IMO, the timing is not right.
Old 22nd October 2007
  #180
Lives for gear
 
Spectacle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Are you guys doing your homework? Logic 8 is full of bugs. Check out threads here as well as Sonikmater and Apple's Logic 8 forum.

I like what I see in Logic 8, I've got a Duet on the way so I can seriously mess with it more. But as it is right now, leaving my HD2 Accel PCIe system, no, can't see it. Most people, who see the grass as greener on the other side, often end up going back home.

I certainly can see why Logic 8 is so compelling on the surface, but IMO, the timing is not right.
Logic Pro 8 user here. No bugs I've seen yet, including the specific ones that some people seem to be experiencing. None of the problems with regard to audio overload (actually seems to be less CPU- and disk-intensive than before). No crashes either, which was a pleasant surprise. Indeed, in addition to being a big step up visually and workflow-wise, version 8 is much more stable and fast for me than 7.2.

I read literally thousands of posts about this new release and waited about a month before I finally bought it, just to be sure. But it is money very well spent, if you ask me.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
G-lay / Music Computers
9
needlz / So much gear, so little time
2
gsilbers / Music Computers
6
jgrif08 / So much gear, so little time
5
Morningstar / Music Computers
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump