The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 8 is finally here? DAW Software
Old 13th September 2007
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I can't believe the pricing..
Apple is charging their regular customers a $199 upgrade after we paid $1000 for it. Now new customers only pay $499 for the whole entire package deal and no dongle is need. Therefore, to have the audacity to ask for an upgrade is a real slap in the face. The regular customers shouldn't have to pay for anything.
Old 13th September 2007
  #32
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Apple is charging their regular customers a $199 upgrade after we paid $1000 for it. Now new customers only pay $499 for the whole entire package deal and no dongle is need. Therefore, to have the audacity to ask for an upgrade is a real slap in the face. The regular customers shouldn't have to pay for anything.
Man you're trippin. That's like buying a car, then getting mad when the next model comes out because it costs less.

Be happy Apple is lowering the price for everyone, and quit being salty because you paid more back when. ****, be happy there's even a new version!

......Although hey I might be jaded - I deal with customers like you all day long. I do make software as my day job. :p
Old 13th September 2007
  #33
Lives for gear
 
emkay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDolo View Post
Thanks for that...
Old 13th September 2007
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
Be happy Apple is lowering the price for everyone, and quit being salty because you paid more back when. ****, be happy there's even a new version!
No,
You are misunderstanding my point. It is a great thing that the price is lowered!

We paid 1 full grand for this program and Apple is now asking for $1,200 from us regulars. It's just the general principle of this business practice. New customers could care less that $1200 will be paid by most people. This action against us is not something to just avoid. Well...it is always the clients that pay for everything anyways. So I guest you right and who cares. I will stop this trippin and just pay another $200.
Old 13th September 2007
  #35
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
No,
You are misunderstanding my point. It is a great thing that the price is lowered!

We paid 1 full grand for this program and Apple is now asking for $1,200 from us regulars. It's just the general principle of this business practice. New customers could care less that $1200 will be paid by most people. This action against us is not something to just avoid. Well...it is always the clients that pay for everything anyways. So I guest you right and who cares. I will stop this trippin and just pay another $200.
I completely see your point, as I also paid full price for the program before becoming an Apple dealer. But, that $1000 is nothing compared to what I've made back from having the program the last couple of years, and NOT having to have an HD system.... Do you know what those guys have to pay for upgrades? heh

We paid $1000 for a product and now we have to pay $200 for a new product. Everyone else has to pay $500... That's the only way to look at it.
Old 13th September 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I completely see your point, as I also paid full price for the program before becoming an Apple dealer. But, that $1000 is nothing compared to what I've made back from having the program the last couple of years, and NOT having to have an HD system.... Do you know what those guys have to pay for upgrades? heh

We paid $1000 for a product and now we have to pay $200 for a new product. Everyone else has to pay $500... That's the only way to look at it.
exaaaaaaaaactly...
Old 13th September 2007
  #37
Gear Head
 
Trebor's Avatar
well looks like it was worth the wait plenty of new features and a really surprising price point(no one expected that).im definetly gonna buy but i'm gonna wait until they release the first update cos it seems like it has quite a few bugs they need to iron out first.
Old 13th September 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
well looks like it was worth the wait plenty of new features and a really surprising price point(no one expected that).im definetly gonna buy but i'm gonna wait until they release the first update cos it seems like it has quite a few bugs they need to iron out first.
How do you know it's buggy ? It was only released today .
Old 13th September 2007
  #39
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
No,
You are misunderstanding my point. It is a great thing that the price is lowered!

We paid 1 full grand for this program and Apple is now asking for $1,200 from us regulars. It's just the general principle of this business practice. New customers could care less that $1200 will be paid by most people. This action against us is not something to just avoid. Well...it is always the clients that pay for everything anyways. So I guest you right and who cares. I will stop this trippin and just pay another $200.

Hit Apple/Jobs with an email expressing your concerns. It worked for iphone users that paid full price before the price break. That was only on a matter of months & not a year tho ... Good luck!


D
Old 13th September 2007
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
How do you know it's buggy ? It was only released today .
it's Logic, you know heh
Old 13th September 2007
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Marketing? It's not even on the front page of apple.com.

I was very suprised about this also. Either way I am sooooooooo stoked. Looks awesome, but i'm still gonna hold out for the first update unless people don't report meltdowns.
Old 13th September 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 

just got it

installing now will give update on tsm ****
Old 13th September 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

First Impressions:

Installation requires about 40 gigs. Looks like garageband on steriods. Great price. Comes with 500 dollars of jam packs. Seems a little sluggish when I open up for the first time. BUT.....all of my plugins worked!...so far........

Best of all I can get rid of the XSkey? Wow.
Old 13th September 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 

yo

see screenshot
Old 13th September 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Apple is charging their regular customers a $199 upgrade after we paid $1000 for it. Now new customers only pay $499 for the whole entire package deal and no dongle is need. Therefore, to have the audacity to ask for an upgrade is a real slap in the face. The regular customers shouldn't have to pay for anything.
New price tag was definitely shocking but I was expecting the $199 hit already so no big deal.

The way I look at it is that the new price tag means Apple sells more copies. The more copies they sell, the higher up the priority list Logic climbs. The higher up the priority list Logic climbs, the more money that gets thrown at it. The more money that gets thrown at it, the faster we see updates and innovations.

Win/win for everybody.
Old 13th September 2007
  #46
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
First Impressions:

Installation requires about 40 gigs. Looks like garageband on steriods. Great price. Comes with 500 dollars of jam packs. Seems a little sluggish when I open up for the first time. BUT.....all of my plugins worked!...so far........

Best of all I can get rid of the XSkey? Wow.
Did it ask for the XSkey on update? I've read that future updates may require the key, but am not positive.


D
Old 13th September 2007
  #47
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Did it ask for the XSkey on update? I've read that future updates may require the key, but am not positive.


D
didn't ask for one here. just a long, very long serial number.
Old 13th September 2007
  #48
Gear Head
 
Trebor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
How do you know it's buggy ? It was only released today .
in the music computers forum there's a logic 8 thread and in there someone has posted a link to a list off the known bugs in logic 8. You can also go to apple's website click on support and search logic studio.
Old 13th September 2007
  #49
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
didn't ask for one here. just a long, very long serial number.
illynoise, were you upgrading to Logic Studio from Logic Express 7 or Logic Pro 7 ?

Apple's upgrade installation guide seems to make it very clear that if upgrading from Logic Pro, you *have* to plug the XSKey in during install, and it's only for Logic Express 7 upgrades that you can enter a serial number ?

Can you confirm 100% that you upgraded from Logic Pro 7 and didn't have to plug the XSKey ?

I can't wait for your answer, this is holding me back from ordering the upgrade. I don't want to be forced to take care of the XSKey forever and risk losing it.
Old 13th September 2007
  #50
Gear Nut
 
dfg_MacGyver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
New price tag was definitely shocking but I was expecting the $199 hit already so no big deal.

The way I look at it is that the new price tag means Apple sells more copies. The more copies they sell, the higher up the priority list Logic climbs. The higher up the priority list Logic climbs, the more money that gets thrown at it. The more money that gets thrown at it, the faster we see updates and innovations.

Win/win for everybody.
selling more copies with serial as copy protection! Hmmm heh.
bet the Apple priority is to sell Macs not Logic.
Old 13th September 2007
  #51
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
in the music computers forum there's a logic 8 thread and in there someone has posted a link to a list off the known bugs in logic 8. You can also go to apple's website click on support and search logic studio.
It wasn't a bug list, it was more of a troubleshooting guide. With topics like: "why aren't my samples loading"... Answer: "You must install the additional content on the other DVD's.
Old 13th September 2007
  #52
Here for the gear
 

Does the new serial thing means I can run logic at the same time on laptop and desktop? I do own logic 7 pro and have the xskey? If yes, I may go pick it up a d I wonder if I will be able to still run logic 7.

Last but not least, for those who have installed it, is this installing new content? or replacing old jam packs stuff from logic 7? 40gb seems a bit too much for a sequencer.
Old 14th September 2007
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
DanDolo's Avatar
 

so now you can time stretch in the arrange window but can you pitch shift as well. if not that suck balls. dfegad the old way takes wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much time.
Old 14th September 2007
  #54
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
don't forget to read the 'late breaking information' as this has most up to date changes of which there are loads
Old 14th September 2007
  #55
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
in the music computers forum there's a logic 8 thread and in there someone has posted a link to a list off the known bugs in logic 8. You can also go to apple's website click on support and search logic studio.
That wasn't a bug guide , it was a help guide incase something is not working !

Most bugs wll be picked up by users and then addressed , to tell you the truth i'm quite impressed that none of the people over the past day or so using Logic 8 have complained about any bugs , in fact it's been pretty smooth sailing with a long wait to load due to the amount on offer ....
Old 14th September 2007
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfg_MacGyver View Post
selling more copies with serial as copy protection! Hmmm heh.
bet the Apple priority is to sell Macs not Logic.
Cool. If they feel that continuing to improve Logic will sell more Macs, Logic users still win.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Remoteness / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump