The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple Logic Pro 8 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
WOW!!! You're really hung up on getting a bad-ass graphical interface!
...strange coming from a guy with a Mickey Mouse icon.

haha...

p.s. I want to try logic out as I am tired of PT LE
Old 13th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple4music View Post
I found the link to the manual, people:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...ser_Manual.pdf

ENJOY!

Now someone got the 'Instruments/ plugins' pdf manual reference?
This link does not work, but I have hosted both the Getting Started Guide and User Manual as PDF's at the bottom of this page:

Logic 8 Information
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Whaddya need? :D I already do better sounding chorus, chorus ensemble, ensemble (i.e. many voices, many many voices) and flange than most, because those are all about how well you do the interpolation, something non-mastering guys usually don't understand. I do NOT have equally good pitch shifting, because my pitch shifter is designed for glitch (it's actually got a really elegant splice algorithm, but no crossfades, so it's not a normal pitch shifter- and not 'intelligent' either)
You see, this is why i would have trouble leaving Pro Tools entirely. I like Logic, I even used it back on PC (v5 or something like that) and when I went Mac it was only natural for me to return to the first real DAW I ever used. Now I was deep into Pro Tools by then and found the latest Logic release buggy... I DID however think about jumping ships - which to me means doing the MAJORITY of the work in that DAW, not ditching the others entirely.. I have somewhere around 10 apps installed at once that are all capable of producing good music.

Anyway, to quit my rambling ... Besides the bugs the major thing I would have a hard time to deal with if I primarily MIXED in Logic would be the lack of close to all my favorite plug-ins: The McDSP line, Massey TD5, hell, even Digidesigns plug-ins... Their instruments are great and their flanger is wicked.

So, since you're such a great plug-in developer, go make the equivalent to McDSP Emerald Bundle and I'll think about jumping ships again

Now, when does Logic Studio come to Sweden? I want it now thumbsup
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

A Logic keyboard question. I understand the Logic keyboard that's been sold for some time now was made with Logic 7 in mind. Can anyone confirm that the key commands and so on haven't changed from then so that the keyboard is still "working"?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Now, when does Logic Studio come to Sweden? I want it now thumbsup

Now?
Apple Store - Sverige - Logic Studio 8
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks, I just saw it, wasn't there the last time I looked heh
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Fr0st, when using the pencil tool in the piano roll, will notes still snap to the relative grid or can you place them exactly where you click with the pencil tool.

Placing notes and then having to slightly nudge them to get non-quatized grooves in Logic 7 was a pain.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
This link does not work, but I have hosted both the Getting Started Guide and User Manual as PDF's at the bottom of this page:

Logic 8 Information
Thanx, Tony, for making the manuals available!
Do you have the 'Logic Studio Instruments and Effects' manual also ?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
...(I refuse to sell plugins for more than $60, these are not API 3124s people! Software plugins should not be hundreds of dollars!)...
While what you do is very cool, I think this is a little misleading. Most commercial (and many freeware) plugs have a non-generic interface, metering/visual feedback and they often do more than one thing!

Let's take a channel strip as an example - how 'bout Wave Arts' TrackPlug 5? (available in AU, RTAS, VST, MAS and DX - all for $199):

http://www.wavearts.com/TrackPlug5.html

"10 bands of professional, 64-bit EQ - Dual compressors and a gate - Assign any EQ band a parametric, low/high shelf, low/band/highpass, or notch filter - Spectrum analysis mode - External sidechain support (RTAS, AU and MAS) - Four new EQ filters: analog low/high shelf and resonant low/high shelf - Clean (for transparent sound) and vintage (for analog colorization and warmth) dynamics modes - True brickwall lowpass/highpass filter section - Sidechain EQ support on each dynamics section (gate, compressor 1 and compressor 2) - Dual EQ comparison sidechain modes for precise de-essing - Peak limiter - Stunning new visual interface design - Brand new presets and enhanced preset management, including preset control for each section - Up to 192K support - Adaptive RMS/Peak detectors reduce undesired low-frequency distortion in Clean mode - Comprehensive metering makes it a snap to set dynamics thresholds - An adjustable lookahead delay ensures you won't miss an attack - Accurate gain reduction meters show exactly what's happening under the hood - Choose between soft, medium, and hard compressor & gate characteristics - Automate any control via compatible host applications - Mono or stereo"

I know this is an extreme example for comparison, but if you could do all this with your plug-ins - it would take several and cost many times more than this one plug-in.

I have and like some of your free plug-ins and may buy some of the others, but like I said, I think your comment is misleading and uninformed. And isn't it kind of obvious that plug-ins are not high-end mic pre's (or people heh)?

Keep up the good work, though. Roll several of your single function plug-ins into one, add an interface with metering, code all the most popular formats, and you could probably get $200 or more - like Dr. Gardner does. Keep 'em less than $60 and that would be even better!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not a Logic guy but I used and love Wave Burner Pro, then Apple made it non stand-alone so I couldn't upgrade without buying Logic Pro. Now for the price Logic Studio is going for, I'm in, infact I've ordered my copy already. This doesn't mean I'm going to stop using PT HD, now I can use both.

nIC
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

With Logic Pro 8 they have spent a lot of energy and time rewriting the entire engine so I suspect this is just the beginning. They will have prepared 'hooks' for some really nice future developments to build on this. Anyone got any comments on the mis buss yet - hearing anything different??
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonecontroller View Post
With Logic Pro 8 they have spent a lot of energy and time rewriting the entire engine so I suspect this is just the beginning. They will have prepared 'hooks' for some really nice future developments to build on this. Anyone got any comments on the mis buss yet - hearing anything different??
Rufuss Sewell has done some bounces in 7 and 8 and blind said he picked out the logic 8 versions each time as being better..
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Rufuss Sewell has done some bounces in 7 and 8 and blind said he picked out the logic 8 versions each time as being better..
Interesting as I've always found that I can get as good (maybe even better?) results with Logic 7 as with PT HD.

It gets even better now? Awesome, can't wait to get my copy!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
Interesting as I've always found that I can get as good (maybe even better?) results with Logic 7 as with PT HD.

It gets even better now? Awesome, can't wait to get my copy!
Well, it's just his opinion, but I can't see why they wouldn't have improved it.
Ordered my copy at the Belgian Apple Store btw. It's there since this morning.
Did want to go and get it from the local apple store but when I called the guy wasn't sure as they had a big delivery and he was a bit busy so could I maybe drop by next week....
Nope, I'll order on line instead thx
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Ordered my copy at the Belgian Apple Store btw. It's there since this morning.
Yup, seen it there as well when I checked this morning
The .be Apple site self still speaks of Logic 7 tho They're a bit slow with updates...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

yea i couldnt find it on the be apple store :( WIll look but i have to give my MBP to applecare tomorrow for a week or two to fix a light grinding noise coming from my mobo. I really hope they dont just send it back this time saying it's normal ><
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

all the manuals:

Apple - Support - Logic Pro

Seems the EXS24 editor has been finally updated!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
yea i couldnt find it on the be apple store :( WIll look but i have to give my MBP to applecare tomorrow for a week or two to fix a light grinding noise coming from my mobo. I really hope they dont just send it back this time saying it's normal ><
Apple Store - Belgique - Logic Studio 8
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

thanks David - ordered!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

sorry for my ignorance...

third party node.... what does that mean?
You can run what? vst?
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontenele View Post
You can run what? vst?
no, man
previous release had nodes for Logic plugs only. Now you can run third-party AU.
Not instruments at the moment
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontenele View Post
You can run what? vst?
You can now run 3rd party AU plugins (Logic has never supported VST). On 7 you were restricted to Logic's own plugins.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music View Post
Can someone explain their version of Tab to Transient? I.e. if I have multiple drums mics, can i group them, tab to transient, cut, and move onto the next transient?

Logic's seems to be more of a loop thing from what I can see.
Search back for my posts yesterday.
I described it there.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar10003 View Post
Ive been using vocalign (i love it) in PT LE and the RTAS/TDM version of soundtoys - will these work?

A
Soundtoys?
If you own the TDM bundle, you get the AU bundle as well- so yes- but a couple of plugins (Speed, Soundblender) wont work.
FF, PM, EB and Crystaliser work fine.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

to those who have installed it -

is it playing nice with older systems?

do plugins authorize?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post

do plugins authorize?
curious here as well...i'm THIS close to upgrading...but i guess maybe a one or two week wait is in order, for bug manifestation and whatnot.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
do plugins authorize?
What do you mean by older?
My Dual 2ghz G5 it is running fine- although screen redraws are a bit more sluggish.

Haven't tried my powerbook yet- will let you know once I do.
Old 13th September 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
While what you do is very cool, I think this is a little misleading. Most commercial (and many freeware) plugs have a non-generic interface, metering/visual feedback and they often do more than one thing!
Ah, well, you got me there- I always use the generic interface, no metering (except for my RMSBuddy variant, which is a meter) and usually don't attempt to do more than one thing with a plug. So I have no defense against your challenge :D

On the other hand...

With the simplicity of the interface there's less to go wrong and less overhead- you might be able to run more of my separate plugs than the combined ones (I did measure Iron Oxide at 1/3 the CPU of DUY's Tape and that's not even a combined plug), and since the plugins you mention are not (far as I know?) AU plugins...

you can run mine on Logic 8 nodes, as many nodes as you want, with my blessing and no purchasing of additional 'licenses'. I consider a distributed system one big uber-DAW and expect people to be able to use one without having to pay extra.

Calculate in extra licenses for any plugin manufacturer who demands separate licenses for each instance of the plugin, and I think I'll still come out ahead :D

Can you believe we're even having this conversation? "Yeah, but when you install my plugin on the Logic 16-CPU uberDAW you don't have to pay sixteen times for it, so I win". WOW that we can even consider such things. Welcome to the future :D
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tortoise View Post

Like I say, I'm generally pretty impressed.

Makes me almost want to switch to Mac just to use it alongside PT.

Peace

the tortoise
+1
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
2. Ensamble Just under 2k is up against 003 at $1300 with software!
Or you could use the Presonus Firestudio with Logic, pay $1200, and have better sound quality and more features than 003.

The beauty of Logic is that it works with more than one company's hardware.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search