The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple Logic Pro 8 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2007
  #181
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Just got the last upgrade copy from the Apple Store in Northridge, CA. The Sherman Oaks Store didn't even get any Upgrade packs, and there's probably a million musicians within a stone's throw of that store. Apple didn't do their homework re distribution allocations.

It's installing now...

Stock is non-existent out there right now... We have almost sold through completely of our initial order for the bundle. And, those copies are shipping to us today.
Old 13th September 2007
  #182
Gear Maniac
 

oh, it came with an itunes voucher/marketing fluff
Old 13th September 2007
  #183
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclust View Post
oh, it came with an itunes voucher/marketing fluff
Unless you use iTunes.
Old 13th September 2007
  #184
Gear Maniac
 

i wonder if the wait had to do with duet. included is a pdf entitled "working with apogee hardware" which mentions a dedicated control panel within logic for ensembles and duets, but not symphonies, which is what i have.
Old 13th September 2007
  #185
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Unless you use iTunes.
well right. i'll download the tracks and see what it's all about...

btw, i noticed that logic node requires a g5 or better. before the only requirement was gigE :( time to build my miniblade.
Old 13th September 2007
  #186
pan
Lives for gear
 
pan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
Im talking performance going from screen set to screen set it seems slower.
I'm currently on 6.4.3 on a G4 Dual 450 OS9...and it's flying!
it feels snappier than 7.23 on the xeon quad 2.33 hmm...slower than that?
Old 13th September 2007
  #187
Lives for gear
 

For people who has both Logic 8 and PT 7.3.x, I would really interested to know the sound different (oops, sound engine comparison again) but I really would interested to switch to Logic...heh
Old 13th September 2007
  #188
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigcat View Post
For people who has both Logic 8 and PT 7.3.x, I would really interested to know the sound different (oops, sound engine comparison again) but I really would interested to switch to Logic...heh
I can already tell you;

If you are a Pro Tools fan than Pro Tools sounds better. If you are a Logic fan than Logic sounds better.
Old 13th September 2007
  #189
Gear Addict
 

um .... we'll take that as a no ....
Old 13th September 2007
  #190
Gear Addict
 
Funk Dracula's Avatar
 

Wow what a hectic day! I got a txt from a buddy of mine at 11am while I was in a meeting at a restaurant, and was nowhere near a computer... I nearly sh!t myself, I knew he wouldn't joke or prank me like that. (he's one of the few fellow professionals I know that takes Logic seriously in this city.)

Had to go right into a session, and could only view tid-bits here and there and the suspense was friggin killing me! Finally free from work, and downloaded the PDF.

DAAAAMMMMMNNNNN!!!

First impression, bye bye Pro Tools! Expect to see 2 Acell cards and 4 process cards on ebay soon. I'm gonna keep one card for TDM just to run it and "handshake" sessions into my place.

Downtown store was out of Pro 7 upgrades, only had the full version. Just ordered it next day shipping so I should have it Friday. I want to read that manual NOW! Can anyone PM a pdf of it to me? Pretty please!

I'm not installing on my main rig until I know that my Waves, Soundtoys, ect are gonna run and albums I'm currently mixing in 7 will restore properly. I went to call Waves today and their tech support was closed?!?! I have other macs that I could install it on, but with them ditching the XSkey who knows how many machines you can install.

The ditching of the XSkey is kinda disapointing to me... There used to be cracked versions of Logic 5 everywhere. It's almost like they want the program to be hackable so it's user base widens substantially. Weird move. The only pain of the XSkey was the worry of it being lost or broken.
Old 13th September 2007
  #191
Gear Addict
 
madhermit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Just got the last upgrade copy from the Apple Store in Northridge, CA. The Sherman Oaks Store didn't even get any Upgrade packs, and there's probably a million musicians within a stone's throw of that store. Apple didn't do their homework re distribution allocations.

It's installing now...

Hey Macaroni

What hoops do you have to jump through with the upgrade version? An XS Key #, original CD's or what?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2007
  #192
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Dracula View Post
The ditching of the XSkey is kinda disapointing to me... There used to be cracked versions of Logic 5 everywhere. It's almost like they want the program to be hackable so it's user base widens substantially. Weird move. The only pain of the XSkey was the worry of it being lost or broken.
not too weird, apple makes its major $ on selling hardware. i think their approach is get way more users who in the end buy a new mac pro or imac to run it on.
Old 13th September 2007
  #193
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
I can already tell you;

If you are a Pro Tools fan than Pro Tools sounds better. If you are a Logic fan than Logic sounds better.
LOL ok perhaps I'll just bug my friend (who has logic express 7) and do a comparison myself. If they sounds the same, time to switch!

...Going to be a long journey for the switch though, I'm on PC and never use a MAC...
Old 13th September 2007
  #194
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante310 View Post
not too weird, apple makes its major $ on selling hardware. i think their approach is get way more users who in the end buy a new mac pro or imac to run it on.
Makes absolute sense!

I wonder their future dongle would be an iphone? Plug the damn iphone or your Logic won't run...
Old 13th September 2007
  #195
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Logic 8.1 ???

Does anyone think it's kinda strange that Apple introduced Logic 8 so soon before a MAJOR OS upgrade?

I wonder if there is a Logic upgrade waiting in the wings to be released right after the Leopard release, with features to take advantage of the latest Mac Pro hardware and OS?

Old 13th September 2007
  #196
Gear Addict
 

What I want to know is ....

will I get HIGHER plugin counts on Logic 8 than PTLE ?

any of you guys that got L8 today have experience of this yet ?
Old 13th September 2007
  #197
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Does anyone think it's kinda strange that Apple introduced Logic 8 so soon before a MAJOR OS upgrade?

I wonder if there is a Logic upgrade waiting in the wings to be released right after the Leopard release, with features to take advantage of the latest Mac Pro hardware and OS?

i never really understood the whole application tie into the OS. i've viewed the OS as being a simple container that allows you to launch applications... apple, making their own applications, makes sense that there would be some hooks, but honestly, why should an app be specially formulated for tiger, leopard, or vista? if it runs stable and the kernel is optimized for performance, isn't that what counts? ...not including the vertical 64-bit architecture of leopard all the way to the top, and other more technical limitations / differences of course....
Old 13th September 2007
  #198
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Thats what I thought. Man, how could you not buy this thing?

If anyone can shed some light eventually on the dual mono/multiple bit depths, I'll be sold.
I'm a plugin developer, and I think I can shed light- at least from my POV.

If you take a mono plug, and run it on any multichannel track (what we call N to N) what you get is dual mono. Almost all my plugs are written as mono and run dual mono. Exceptions are StereoFX and FreeverbCJ, which take a stereo input and go to a stereo output, because they need to produce interaction between the channels, especially StereoFX. So people can produce stereo plugs that aren't dual mono, but the native format for CoreAudio, AU, works very naturally with dual mono, because that's also the way to get multichannel- quintuple mono, or whatever.

I believe we're still running on a 32 bit floating point word for all bussing, because I haven't seen a thing to suggest otherwise, so I don't see a technical problem with using various bit depths, but you'd have to ask the Logic people to find out whether Logic is actually using any old bit depth you want in mix. I assume that's what you were wanting to know about?
Old 13th September 2007
  #199
Gear Nut
 

Can someone please upload the Logic 8 pro Manual (pdf) or a link where we can download it to read in detail about all those raving new features (not the Logic Studio Overview pdf which can be found on the site, but the manual itself...)?
So curious about the EXS24 'updated' editor!

Thanx!
Old 13th September 2007
  #200
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
Oh yeah, and also: in case anyone is wondering, this business with you being able to do distributed DAW processing with stuff on different nodes? And you can do AU effects processing on nodes, but you have to have the plugins installed separately on each node?

I hereby allow all my users to install my AU plugins on ALL their nodes. Go nuts, node away. Common sense and honor will dictate when you need to actually buy additional copies of anything, as far as I'm concerned running on a big uberDAW with multiple nodes should NOT force you to buy additional copies

THIS IS GONNA BE FUN :D
Old 13th September 2007
  #201
Gear Nut
 

wondering if the EXS24 is now supporting distributed DAW processing (nodes) too?
Old 13th September 2007
  #202
Lives for gear
 

I've tried to read this whole thread... but I still can't find any info on whether or not this is a new code or just a revamp of the old code.

Anyone with any insight on this?
Old 13th September 2007
  #203
Gear Nut
 

I found the link to the manual, people:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...ser_Manual.pdf


ENJOY!


Now someone got the 'Instruments/ plugins' pdf manual reference?
Old 13th September 2007
  #204
Lives for gear
 
jjdpro's Avatar
 

Thumbs down Logic 8... Not impressed

Ok.. Here's my takeon Logic 8..

Overall , not impressed. It beggs the question: What have they (Emagic-Apple) been doing all these years??

To be honest, I would be impressed if they had at least CHANGED THE !$#@$ FADERS!!!

DID NOT WE ASK FOR A NEW (READ: DIFFERENT) INTERFACE!!!! [email protected]#!~!

SAME OLD as Faders, same looking old as Mixer... I can;t use this in a Pro commercial studio , becasue overall it still looks like OLD Logic...


TO APPLE: Okay, you added the audio engine, editing updates, NOW fix the interface..

I don't care that you still have to cater to those 15-20 hollywood composers that are all stuck on their enviorments.. We users are into real-looking sudio gear Graphics. You arrogant ass-holes!!!

Hint: Just because you use one of the Hollywood composers in your advertisments, does make me (Music Producer) want to run down and purchase Logic..!!
Old 13th September 2007
  #205
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
4 Until RTAS/TDM only plugins ala Soundblender, Massey Phoenix, Eventide are avalibe in AU getting pople to switch won't always be easy!
I do most of the bringing-quality-plugins-to-AU, most people haven't been interested in coding for AU up until now. I assume there aren't big changes in CoreAudio because I haven't seen anyone suggesting it on the core-audio list...

Whaddya need? :D I already do better sounding chorus, chorus ensemble, ensemble (i.e. many voices, many many voices) and flange than most, because those are all about how well you do the interpolation, something non-mastering guys usually don't understand. I do NOT have equally good pitch shifting, because my pitch shifter is designed for glitch (it's actually got a really elegant splice algorithm, but no crossfades, so it's not a normal pitch shifter- and not 'intelligent' either)

Phoenix? Feh :D you're entitled to want that exact product if that's the one you want, but I did 'Iron Oxide' months ago and it's been a huge success at an eighth of the price (I refuse to sell plugins for more than $60, these are not API 3124s people! Software plugins should not be hundreds of dollars!)

Eventide? I see a lot of reverb stuff. You've got me there, I don't sell reverb stuff or convolution impulses...

I give that stuff away FREE to produce goodwill and support AU/logic users.

So here you are!

http://www.airwindows.com/f/FreeverbCJ.dmg

http://www.airwindows.com/f/AirwindowsImpulses.zip

The FreeverbCJ is freeverb in name only (and the code framework is courtesy of Jezar too), it recalculates the reverb constants on the fly to synthesize different room sizes (NOT RT60 normally called 'room size', I have separate controls for both!) and you can change the size of the room while sound is reverberating in it. Causes freaky buffer glitches

The AirwindowsImpulses should be quite nifty for Logic's Space Designer, and since Space Designer now handles full surround reverbs, I think it is very likely that the impulse package will end up being updated with surround verbs to work with the new Logic: in particular, I have some spectacular plates in there which would be a natural to re-create in full surround. That's not happening today or tomorrow, but expect it to eventually happen

Now let's not have any silly talk about not enough plugins being available in AU for Logic, or I'll have to go and do Airwindows versions of everything anybody mentions, until I froth at the mouth and fall over backwards

It'll have to wait until I finish today's work-list which is as follows:

Nikola: plugin to emulate the sound of a Tesla Coil audio generator
ADT: automatic-double-tracking, an interpolated comb-filtering fixed flange which is invertable for bass cancellation effects
Gatelope: secret project for Ola Sonmark
Tape Flutter: secret project for redroom, I already have this running in mono and stereo but I just can't get its latency to behave predictably, since, well, it's FLUTTER. It's very good flutter, but it's rather unpredictable. NOT simply a vibrato. redroom demanded real flutter, some time ago...

Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm absolutely certain that for at least a little while, some of that stuff will be AU-only, reversing your argument about what's available on what platform
Old 13th September 2007
  #206
Gear Maniac
 
jordanh's Avatar
 

still waiting for some personal experiences and if people know a confirmed educational discount price...?
Old 13th September 2007
  #207
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
In Global Tracks?
Still cannot be done.
Son of a @#[email protected]

woe is me. woe is me.

i bought it...now the question is ...do i open it? if they didnt make that damn fix...i just don't know..it bodes poorly. maybe i should just upgrade my old finale license. man this blows. they didnt change a damned thing about notation, functionally, did they? i guess they never promised it and they don't market it as such..but it freaking started as a notation centered program...sigh...i should just give up the ghost.


EDIT:after all that bitching and moaning i read the manual...i guess i am just supposed to put the chords in myself...at least i can name them however. it only sucks cause i will be making global track chords anyway because i want to try some electronnic jazz accompaniment and the global chord track is hot. transpsition of my bass riff? sexy.
Old 13th September 2007
  #208
Lives for gear
 

Can someone explain their version of Tab to Transient? I.e. if I have multiple drums mics, can i group them, tab to transient, cut, and move onto the next transient?

Logic's seems to be more of a loop thing from what I can see.
Old 13th September 2007
  #209
Gear Nut
 
elarreal's Avatar
 

Import Session Data?

Does anybody know if a feature like "Import Session Data" from PT has been added to LP8?
Old 13th September 2007
  #210
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
Ok.. Here's my takeon Logic 8..

Overall , not impressed. It beggs the question: What have they (Emagic-Apple) been doing all these years??

To be honest, I would be impressed if they had at least CHANGED THE !$#@$ FADERS!!!

DID NOT WE ASK FOR A NEW (READ: DIFFERENT) INTERFACE!!!! [email protected]#!~!

SAME OLD as Faders, same looking old as Mixer... I can;t use this in a Pro commercial studio , becasue overall it still looks like OLD Logic...


TO APPLE: Okay, you added the audio engine, editing updates, NOW fix the interface..

I don't care that you still have to cater to those 15-20 hollywood composers that are all stuck on their enviorments.. We users are into real-looking sudio gear Graphics. You arrogant ass-holes!!!

Hint: Just because you use one of the Hollywood composers in your advertisments, does make me (Music Producer) want to run down and purchase Logic..!!
WOW!!! You're really hung up on getting a bad-ass graphical interface!
...strange coming from a guy with a Mickey Mouse icon.

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
LogicSlut / Music Computers
4
LogicSlut / So much gear, so little time
6
composer / Product Alerts older than 2 months
1
Deleted bd1be4f / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump