The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple Logic Pro 8 Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2007

Today is the greatest day in DAW history... An awesome app for a list price of $499.

I still can't believe this.... Every other DAW manufacturer just got their asses kicked.

heh

And they just released Konakt 3...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I thought someone said that hardware compensation was now included?
This is from the apple site. Abit unclear but that is how I read it.

"Create the perfect mixer configuration with up to 255 audio, software instrument, and auxiliary channels, along with up to 32 mix groups and as many output channels as your audio hardware provides. Each track supports 15 plug-ins and 8 pre-, post-, and post-pan sends with full latency compensation to keep everything in perfect sync. Logic Pro 8 also lets you record busses and integrate outboard hardware into your mix."
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thats what I thought. Man, how could you not buy this thing?

If anyone can shed some light eventually on the dual mono/multiple bit depths, I'll be sold.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just drove to Bridgewater NJ Apple Store and picked it up myself.
About 5% into the 40GB install.
.... drums fingers on desk , impatiently.

Edit:

Just read "To use Logic Pro 8 with your TDM System, you will need at least Pro Tools HD 7.4 (on
both Intel and PPC computers). "
Given that 7.4 isn't out yet I am anticipating having to go core audio for a little while, before I can fully use the TDM rig.
Ah well.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I just drove to Bridgewater NJ Apple Store and picked it up myself.
About 5% into the 40GB install.
Hyper Editor report please.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow octatonic, I love your avatar. That rules.
Old 12th September 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

fr0st, can you check whether the piano roll (matrix editor) now highlights the notes on the vertical keyboard when you press keys on your midi controller keyboard?

Please take some screenshots and post.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Hyper Editor report please.
Looking for anything specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Wow octatonic, I love your avatar. That rules.
Thanks- I have the sign up in the studio as well- anytime sometime starts rapping I point to it.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

But what of notation

is notation different?

please say notation has been changed

PLEASE

PLEASE!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Today is the greatest day in DAW history... An awesome app for a list price of $499.

I still can't believe this.... Every other DAW manufacturer just got their asses kicked.

heh

I dunno...this may be consumers getting their arses kicked also...I feel this sort of price indicates they may be working at a loss in an attempt to oust the competion.

It looks like they may care more about making money from hardware rather than software. Why no dongle ? It'll be on every warez site in a week.

Kind of difficult for Steinberg, Magix et al to compete at this price and continue to support their customers.

Also I don't see any dramatic updates apart from the price, loss of dongle, and most importantly, MARKETING.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Nathan
Old 12th September 2007
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looking for anything specific?
Just wondering if they gave it a facelift or added any new templates beyond 'GM'.

Thanks.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apple likes to dumb things down for simplification. Anyone know what we've lost yet?

As in:

Discarded Features in Logic Pro 8 (PDF)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post

heh

Just watched the videos at apple.com. As a PT user I have to say that the new "comping" stuff is amazing...highlight and it's part of a comp track...genius. Anyone confirm the FULL SAMPLE ACCURATE editing in the arrange window...across multiple tracks?

.....might be time to move....word on the street is apogee is announcing something BIG soon too....Apple/Apogee=DIGI Killer?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds like this is along the lines of what I was hoping for in regards to the Hyper Editor. Maybe not a complete facelift but at least streamlined and less convoluted;

"Hyper Editor
The Hyper Editor Link button now provides only two states: On and Off. Switching it
on activates Content Link: The Hyper Editor always displays the content of the region
selected in the Arrange area. The display updates whenever the selection changes.
The new behavior makes the Hyper Editor’s Hierarchy button obsolete, so it was
removed.
Further to these changes, the Arrange level view in both the Piano Roll Editor and
Hyper Editor was removed, as it serves no purpose in the new interface."
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just wondering if they gave it a facelift or added any new templates beyond 'GM'.
Thanks.
Looks about the same- check the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
is notation different?

please say notation has been changed

PLEASE

PLEASE!!!
Ehrm... looks pretty similar- the new colour scheme is kinda freaking me so I might have missed something.
Check the pic.

The TDM documentation is wrong, wrong, wrong.
I have PT 7.3.x (latest version) installed and Logic Studio and they are both working together fine.

More reports and pics forthcoming.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple Logic Pro 8-hyper.jpg   Apple Logic Pro 8-score.jpg  
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just reading through the new editing and automation features, I can already tell I'll finally be able to ditch the PTLE setup. All of my major hang ups with Logic have been addressed.

Very exciting!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks about the same- check the pic.
Oh well, I'll live! Thanks for checking, much appreciated.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh well, I'll live! Thanks for checking, much appreciated.
No problem.

I am checking out snap to transients- it is very different to PT, unless I am getting something wrong.
You have to use the Marquee Tool for a start and then slect just ahead of the transient you want to grab and use the left arrow key to go back to the transient.
Then you hit the right arrow key and it selects the region in between that transient and the next one.
Certainly useful but not as intuitive as being able to tab through them like in PT.

I might be missing some other way to do it though.

I should say that using the mouse and the marquee tool is very good- using smart mode it will soft snap to the transients- ie as you move the mouse along the timeline with the left button held down it will snap to each successive transient (and across multiple tracks too.)
Very handy.

I have about another hour of playing before I have to go to a meeting- will try to post once more if I find anything interesting.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Native is the King!! Logic 8 is the King!! with the 3rd party plugin node allow..!! we are not dream anymore!! thumbsup
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

ok..i am sorry to ask but can someone make a chord track and try to make an enharmonic name for the chord?

like...C#7 instead of Db7

one of the many problems i have had...(anyone else trying to use Logic for Jazz lead sheets and getting mad?) i know ..get finale. but when logic was 1000 dollars i rationalized the 700 dollar upgrade by saying i would use logic to replace finale
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

More TDM goodness

TDM plugins are now organized by type rather than manufacturer. Whoohoo!

EDIT: Native plugins too.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem.

I am checking out snap to transients- it is very different to PT, unless I am getting something wrong.
You have to use the Marquee Tool for a start and then slect just ahead of the transient you want to grab and use the left arrow key to go back to the transient.
Then you hit the right arrow key and it selects the region in between that transient and the next one.
Certainly useful but not as intuitive as being able to tab through them like in PT.
Hmmm. With 'tab to transients' and Beat Detective so oftenly touted as being major advantages of the PT environment, I am surprised Apple would drop the ball.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
ok..i am sorry to ask but can someone make a chord track and try to make an enharmonic name for the chord?

like...C#7 instead of Db7

one of the many problems i have had...(anyone else trying to use Logic for Jazz lead sheets and getting mad?) i know ..get finale. but when logic was 1000 dollars i rationalized the 700 dollar upgrade by saying i would use logic to replace finale
In Global Tracks?
Still cannot be done.
Old 12th September 2007
thanks octatonic for all the info !

Are the native and TDM mixers still separate or is it really all integrated being able to use TDM/RTAS/AU plug-ins in any combinations on all channels ?

Tx !

Quote:
TDM plugins are now organized by type rather than manufacturer. Whoohoo!

EDIT: Native plugins too.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic 8

Looks fantastic!

3rd party plugs on nods so no more need of UA and Powercore cards and Duende's (not that with the latest MacPro, we would ever be lacking power)!! Looks like Space designer is now true stereo. What about the much talked about 64 bit mixing engine (something that Sonar has had for around 6 months already)???
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisbrown View Post
thanks octatonic for all the info !

Are the native and TDM mixers still separate or is it really all integrated being able to use TDM/RTAS/AU plug-ins in any combinations on all channels ?

Tx !
My pleasure.

Still separate and actually the mixer window is less intuitive (so far).
(I hated the track mixer and it seems that is all you get now.)

No RTAS Support, still AU support via the ESB, nothing on DAE channels except TDM.

Looking at Ultrabeat- loads more kits.
The Nu School Breaks kit is actually pretty bad ass.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

True but

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
It looks like they may care more about making money from hardware rather than software. Why no dongle ? It'll be on every warez site in a week.
Hey Papillon!

I hear ya but as if APPLE didn't think about it by taking out the Dongle. For sure they know and they did that by knowing what they were doing and not only that but have seen the "ridiculous" price for the FULL BUNDLE? They also thought about it too... And i'm not surprised...

Only thing as Tony Belmont said, is that other major DAW developpers that i won't name here, damn they are getting kicked ass big time for real? I mean, ok Steiny/Yamama already came out with Cubase 4 but can you try to IMAGINE the EXPECTATIONS from NUENDO users? Especially whejn we know that NUENDO is (and i'm not complaining because i use it) highly priced? Anyways, all i can say is that : STEINBERG need to really come up with the best of the best they ever come out in DAW history otherwise, it might HURT big time!! I believe.. but nothing is already done.. WOW!! On top of that, SONAR 7 is on its way too with GREAT GREAT features..
It looks like its gonna be a crazy "DAWS BATTLE"

Later
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just got it ...for reference ...the box is literally about 20lbs of manuals and DVDs.

going to check with a few of my "must have" plugins and drivers and make sure they are cool, then I'll install.

I'm excited... and tentative
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

The new COMP IS SERIOUS!!!!! I like the way it sounds, is that wrong?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search