The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!

Apple - Logic Studio - Logic Pro 8

Jaw dropped!!!!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Mindreader

Mine too
NO DONGLE - bye bye
Just clicking through the features
totally new 'one window' design
instant access to library
drop in and out of a part of any selected region
auto-comping - logic creates a comp from your swipes of different takes and adds crossfades on the fly
etc etc etc

Is this what we've been waiting for for five years? Not sure, but you can't say it hasn't been Apple-fied
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe it's finally here. I'm off to see what's new with it.

Last edited by Football; 12th September 2007 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: english
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

hmmm...

Perhaps it will be the Protools killer people have wanted for years. It certainly looks interesting with the single window approach.

I'll be staying with Samplitude, but I know a few people who may be tempted.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

no mention of any new plugs....?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is it going to be any better? I have Logic Pro and just cant get on with it... I had thought it would make a great second system to stall going PTHD from Mix- but nope, its still as clunky as ever. Great for writers but not a studio tool for me.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Awesome, has all the features I wanted.

Btw, anyone looked at that price yet? $499 FULL or $199 upgrade Talk about competitive!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Question

So how soon can we get some reviews up here? Who's going to go out and get it?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Um... also, did it just drop in price by $500? I'm not a Logic user, but I seem to remember the full previous version costing $999. Only the education version was $499. Am I wrong?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

This isnt on the uk site yet btw...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Ok,

I'm interested to know if there's really something there besides the no-dongle and a cheap price... Someone tell me otherwise.

I ain't feeling like killing my PTHD with this.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

APogee Duet looks tasty too.

time to move off 5.5 finally!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

pppPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffff

Thats it, i am getting it, i have used logic since 4.0 and for $199 for an upgrade...

They just blow all the others out of the water...Totally

I am playing in japan tomorrow... ARRIVE - TAXI - STORE

flippin BELTA...

Jun
Old 12th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Whoa, that's looking pretty sweet, and I say this as a long time PTHD user. At $499, that's pretty much a no-lose proposition for me to pick up a copy and install it on my Mac Pro and see how this baby works...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

the comping features look slick...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Love the new features , cann't wait too test drive it ! The Applefication looks great .

Go Apple/Logic
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

It's got soundtrack 2 pro right?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Holy Crap!!!
Finally here with no pomp or huge PR blitz... Looks great and would get it now, but errr, still on a G4 1.25ghz which is the min requirment.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

some new plugs would have been nice though. no mention of any kind of performance improvements. is it really all that bigger update after this length of time...? most of whats on offer is really just bread and butter...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Haven't seen something about the synthesizers and ultrabeat on the apple site.

I wonder whether the midi timing with outboard has improved.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miet View Post
the comping features look slick...
I was just going to say that. "Quick Swipe Comping" looks really cool!

Apple - Logic Studio - Logic Pro 8

I's the 4th QT movie down the first column.

They also have a "Snap to Transient" feature which works just like "Tab to Transient" on PT.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miet View Post
some new plugs would have been nice though. no mention of any kind of performance improvements. is it really all that bigger update after this length of time...? most of whats on offer is really just bread and butter...
I think you're right, but it also looks like everything has been completely rehauled and I wouldn't be surprised if this involved a complete code rewrite. Besides, Logic was fine before it just had some "issues" that kept it from being really great and at first glance it looks like Apple has made a real effort to address these issues (sample accurate arrange, consolidated the complexity, no more XSkey etc).
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehmann View Post
My first thoughts were "this b*stards posting this for a laugh - but I checked anyway.

Ok let's get on the ride!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

waveburner????

Just saw it is still there. Phew.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
I just watched one of their previews - that consolidated window looks an awful lot like Pro Tools.
PT has a two-window concept, Logic8 has a one-window concept which I think is a better idea. Logic8 also has a Dual Channel Strip in the main window now: "View and manipulate the entire channel strip for the selected track and any auxiliary or output channel strip to which it is sending a signal — without ever leaving the Arrange window."
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Digi just went back to sleep.

This isn't a disruptive product release. They fixed the thing up (learning a bit from Ableton Live, Reaper, and the others, it looks) and slashed the price in half. Pretty minor for all that waiting.

In fact, the main disruption may be a crippling price war within the alternative DAW market...
Old 12th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
The comping feature looks like the bees knees, and the addition of snap to transient is a biggie for me, as I use Tab to Transient all the time in PT.

And making the price $499 for the full blown package? I've paid more for single plugins than that! Buying a copy is a complete no brainer for me. And I'm betting it will be for a lot of other Logic-curious users of other platforms.

Brilliant business strategy by Apple (but then what else is new? heh). By making the cost of entry so cheap, they're going to get a ton of new users, and have fired the first truly serious shot at Digidesign's user base.

I've always been very happy with and a fan of PT, but I do have to say based on the overview of features and price Apple just knocked the ball out of the park.

Now I just have to see how many of my PT plugins will also run on Logic...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Record via remote? Sold
How many writers work in studio's and have to edit out that 25 seconds of them hitting record, running into the room and putting headphones on.
or, better yet, no more waiting for the minute buffer you made in the tracks you already have recorded so you can have enough time to run into the room and sit down, put headphones on. yahooie
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAltiz View Post
Record via remote? Sold
How many writers work in studio's and have to edit out that 25 seconds of them hitting record, running into the room and putting headphones on.
or, better yet, no more waiting for the minute buffer you made in the tracks you already have recorded so you can have enough time to run into the room and sit down, put headphones on. yahooie
erm, see here:

Frontier Design Group
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

welcome to GS where products are announced , reviewed , dissed and panned before it even hits the streets.

What do the dissenters want? Blood?

If you dont use/like Logic then nothing is going to make you like it now.

Same for PT/Nuendo/Cubase etc.

Lets face facts.

nothing is ever perfect , software will always have flaws/bugs

users will always moan/bitch/whine.

Either get used to being let down or take up a different hobby/job

The world is far from perfect get over it.

I use both logic and PT and have been happily making and releasing music using these flawed applications for 10 years.

work around the flaws and make some music instead of constantly whining about how things could be better.

I truly dont understand this attitude displayed towards products from people around here.

If you dont like it , dont use it! simple , be it logic or otherwise. I dont like McDonalds but do I stand outside the local one telling people how much it sucks? No.. I dont I get on with my life and leave those that choose to shop there to do so in peace and quiet!

So much dam negativity on forums like this.

</rant>

G

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search