The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I will be buying a Duet and one of the Logics without a doubt.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

i took a look thru the manual - no mention of delay compensation for using outboard hardware that I could find....

I guess I won't sell my Folcrom.

Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
i took a look thru the manual - no mention of delay compensation for using outboard hardware that I could find....

I guess I won't sell my Folcrom.

It makes me want a Folcrom even more!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

This thread is really growing fast! Probably the fastest I've seen all these years on GS! Well, maybe except for that 'fire the moderator thread' which was really lame.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

OK as soon as anyone is able to use the app, check if there IS delay compensation for hardware inserts, please?! try it. does it work as we all want it to work with hardware inserts? that would be so sweet and useful, and most of us wants to know for sure if it works or not. Tony could you try it out maybe?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
This thread is really growing fast! Probably the fastest I've seen all these years on GS! Well, maybe except for that 'fire the moderator thread' which was really lame.
just goes to show how much interest there is in logic
apple to take over the world
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
OK as soon as anyone is able to use the app, check if there IS delay compensation for hardware inserts, please?! try it. does it work as we all want it to work with hardware inserts? that would be so sweet and useful, and most of us wants to know for sure if it works or not. Tony could you try it out maybe?
+1 !!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
I read thru the manual looking for info regarding this as well, didn't see anything.

Well, there's still the free ExpertSleepers LatencyFixer plugin, so this is no real issue to me.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
now i'd like to see soundiver properly released and i'd be happy.
yes please and thank you. bring on the sounddiver already, people! hardware ain't dead yet!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
Do you think this would work on a MacBook?
Quote:
Additional recommendations for Logic Pro
At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments
thumbsup

Quote:
Additional recommendations for MainStage
Standard graphics card in any Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac with Intel Core Duo, Power Mac G5, or iMac G5
tutt
Old 12th September 2007
This might be superfluous, as been posted before; there's also a new logic express. very competatively priced. ultrabeat, exs24, es2 included, looks very complete to me.
http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/specs/
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just got the ship email from Apple... mine arrives on Friday. Too bad I'm going out of town for the weekend!
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
They're actually still there. You can even name them now. It's just not defaulted that way.

From the Logic Pro 8 manual on pg. 59:
great, when 8.01 comes out I'll get it!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Screw you.
Why in the world people would spread stuff like "It requires an intel processor", or "There is no environment", or "Requires 10.5"

Dumb ****s.
I'm sorry, but all of the baseless rumors, the "dates we know it's being released", etc... Just pisses me off.

I'm glad it's out, but let's NOT start a dumbass rumor mill about V9.
why not? it's never too early, you know!

personally, i'd rather hear some bassless rumors. sort of the "when doves cry" of the rumor mill, if you get my drift...

pardon my giddiness this happy day.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I think that Apple cares less and less about software piracy than you would imagine.

They seem like Adobe circa 1999, where the only protection on the software was a serial, and there was no online authorization. If I remember right, there was a stupid default key for photoshop that was all the same key or something silly. Obviously, Adobe didn't care at the time.

Apple doesn't have protection on most of it's software. They figure (correctly) that to run their software you have to buy their hardware. When you start running their software, you want to buy MORE of their hardware. Last I checked Apple's quarterly reports, profits were WAAAY up and so I guess this workflow works for them!

I'm not endorsing piracy, and neither is Apple, but I think Apple has a model of how to not fight against it, to make it work for them. I don't think Apple has (or does often) send out nasty lawsuit letters to people that have downloaded or shared their products- unlikes Waves, the RIAA/MPAA, Microsoft, etc..

Keep in mind, Jobs and Woz were both hackers and pranksters. They know what can be circumvented. Don't tell me for a second that Jobs looks at a program and doesn't think, "couldn't people just share the serial number?". He knows, but this works for Apple.

I for one am putting in my order to get it ASAP. I am glad that now I don't have to worry about this expensive little dongle getting lost.
interesting that they got rid of what was apparently the only dongle no one could ever crack, though, isn't it? i wonder what prompted that move.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

don't go too apesh!t over the new logic 8 celebration:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/logi....html#storytop
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

So, I read in the TDM manual that PT 7.4 is required. Seeing as how we're on 7.3.1, I guess this means there's some new PT software arriving shortly.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
i wonder what prompted that move.
no one could ever crack it!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
interesting that they got rid of what was apparently the only dongle no one could ever crack, though, isn't it? i wonder what prompted that move.
As the dongles were aged and used some broke, some stopped working and Apple had to replace them, often for free, because the software (unlike hardware) is supposed to work until you uninstall it.

It was a pain for everyone really. I can run my copy of Final Cut Studio on as many computers as I like, just not at the same time. I imagine Logic is following suit.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
don't go too apesh!t over the new logic 8 celebration:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/logi....html#storytop
Quote:
Issue or symptom

When you create a new project, the Orchestral Template may not be available.

Products affected

Logic Pro 8

Solution

The Orchestral Template is only available on computers where the Orchestral Jam Pack has been installed. If you chose not to install it initially, you can rerun the installer, and install it at any time.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
yes please and thank you. bring on the sounddiver already, people! hardware ain't dead yet!
+1 actually analogue/emulating hardware is experliencing yet another revival.
a functional sounddiver would be very welcome.
a midi equipped pro studio would be incomplete without a midi library and editor.
--
hmm, what kind of midi interface should we get to use with mainstage? I'm actually surprised apple didn't make a move in that direction too.. they could sell more hardware. or is that up to 3rd party?

or midi over LAN?
possible... but that would exclude an MPC or other hardware sequencer as clock/input source, and defeat the purpose of mainstage.

Last edited by Reptil; 13th September 2007 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: cut some mud
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Posted by Oscwilde from the Sonikmatter forum, he knows his Sh*t.

"The entire audio engine (event timer model) has changed. There are improved algorithms for time stretching...which sound very good...and the old ones (which are still there) benefit from the core changes to the audio engine.
Overall, L8 sounds "better" than v7....which I know is a subjective call...but I'm sure that others will concur".

I have read a couple of other posts that say Logic sounds 'better' for want of a more fitting term...

p.s. It's so weird feeling like an excited kid again at christmas - I think it's bedtime now. I guess this thread will be twice as long by the time I wake up.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
Perhaps MOTU. There are laws againts monopoly and such tactics, aren´t they?dfegad
so what you're saying is that you believe there is a likelihood that MOTU, Steinberg, Ableton, Digidesign, Mackie, Fairlight, and all of the other DAW manufacturers/marketers will come together to sue Apple because Logic 8 is monopolistic?

That's one of the most amusing posts I've read all day! thanks for that!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
As the dongles were aged and used some broke, some stopped working and Apple had to replace them, often for free, because the software (unlike hardware) is supposed to work until you uninstall it.

It was a pain for everyone really. I can run my copy of Final Cut Studio on as many computers as I like, just not at the same time. I imagine Logic is following suit.
man, i always treated mine like the $800 jewel that it was... i still have and use the old translucent blue one from logic 5! it'll look good on my sl500's keyfob come the software upgrade this weekend. talk about total dorkology...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

hmm, what kind of midi interface should we get to use with mainstage? I'm actually surprised apple didn't make a move in that direction too..
I think it is called DUET from some company called APOGEE

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Damn, now I'm a little less excited about all of this... I just read through the supposedly "more detailed" new features document, and couldn't find one mention of outboard hardware integration and the automated latency compensation of said hardware. I had really hoped that all of my bitching on multiple forums over the last while would have been noticed by Apple. Maybe I and others who have noticed this are just missing something?

Please, now that it's released, someone in the know, shed some light on this? I need this bloody feature.

The only other solution has been the expert sleepers plug, which I feel is just strange and what's more, it doesn't seem like it works all the time and I have to re-adjust it to get rid of audible phasing. A real time killer.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Final Cut Studio on as many computers as I like, just not at the same time. I imagine Logic is following suit.
just out of curiosity, how does a Mac know when another is running FCS? i can understand if both computers are online or on a network, but if not...

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
I think it is called DUET from some company called APOGEE

I didn't know the Duet had a mini interface in it as well.

I'd assume that Apple was assuming that everyone's just going to use a USB midi controller keyboard. Not true, but that's probably the assumption.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
Perhaps MOTU. There are laws againts monopoly and such tactics, aren´t they?dfegad
Dude sit down...have a beer or somethin', maybe a smoke....

Apple do not 'bundle' Logic pro studio 8 FREE with their OS, they sell it for a very competitive price. It's not a freakin' Web Browser.

Motu sue Apple - forgive me but perhaps you have already been smokin...

Motu also happen to make a shed load of killer hardware and their DAW is not exactly the most expensive in the world, neither does it have a dongle.

Chill bro and come take a bite into the fruity Apple future.

Cccrrruunnch! Mmmmm, nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search