The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Oh Joyhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh
I hope they didn't leave anything out (soft synths)? i wonder if its buggy?

I'm buying! $500. I wonder how much the upgrade is? I've broken my dongle god knows how many times. i wonder if they've come up with an easier copyright protection scheme?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

logic pro 8

hey that new editing **** they've put on is well over due !!Been a logic user since V3 and i gotter say this looks like a pretty good upgradefuuck comping at last my life just got easier, proper integrated search engines bit like wot the ableton boys have !! cheap as chips can't lose
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I think that Apple cares less and less about software piracy than you would imagine.

They seem like Adobe circa 1999, where the only protection on the software was a serial, and there was no online authorization. If I remember right, there was a stupid default key for photoshop that was all the same key or something silly. Obviously, Adobe didn't care at the time.

Apple doesn't have protection on most of it's software. They figure (correctly) that to run their software you have to buy their hardware. When you start running their software, you want to buy MORE of their hardware. Last I checked Apple's quarterly reports, profits were WAAAY up and so I guess this workflow works for them!

I'm not endorsing piracy, and neither is Apple, but I think Apple has a model of how to not fight against it, to make it work for them. I don't think Apple has (or does often) send out nasty lawsuit letters to people that have downloaded or shared their products- unlikes Waves, the RIAA/MPAA, Microsoft, etc..

Keep in mind, Jobs and Woz were both hackers and pranksters. They know what can be circumvented. Don't tell me for a second that Jobs looks at a program and doesn't think, "couldn't people just share the serial number?". He knows, but this works for Apple.

I for one am putting in my order to get it ASAP. I am glad that now I don't have to worry about this expensive little dongle getting lost.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzy View Post
re V8: is an imac 24" 2.4ghz with 2g ram a capable enough machine for mixing ~24tracks with typical config of plugins?

if so....talk about a bargain rig!
Dude, a 800mhz G4 could do 24 tracks with plugins. I mixed a few albums that way!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Is this "one window" layout going to make using two monitors worthless? I hope these parts are not permanently glued together. If you can't not dissect the mixer for example from the rest of Logic then you can not effectively setup things how you want on two monitors.

"You can continue to open windows independently, and use screensets as you did in earlier Logic versions (although you can now name them). The new Arrange window facilities, however, are likely to change your approach.
Note: The screensets of projects created in Logic Pro 7 will be “adapted” to take advantage of the new interface features."
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydo View Post
Originally Posted by gsilbers
...that means anyone now will be able to download it from P2P with a serial. thus, any kid is going to have it.

does that frighten you?
PS. it should!

this upgrade has addressed my major complaints
so i bought it
i would have paid twice as much
But most of those "kids" don't currently have Macs--they are going to need to buy a Mac to go along with their stolen copy of Logic... if this creates more "switchers" from Windows it may be worth it for Apple in the long run. Given that the price is so low, and with over 40 gb of high value "extras" that would be extremely time consuming to download P2P, I would imagine that a lot of people (other than the broke "kids") are going to just buy the program.
Old 12th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post

"You can continue to open windows independently, and use screensets as you did in earlier Logic versions (although you can now name them). The new Arrange window facilities, however, are likely to change your approach.
Note: The screensets of projects created in Logic Pro 7 will be “adapted” to take advantage of the new interface features."
YES! thumbsup
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Has anyone seen anything related to whether or not Logic 8 will take advantage of all 8 cores in those Mac Pro boxes?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, so who here has had Logic 8 Beta now for the past 6 months? Tony? Anyone writing books on it? I saw that Apple already has one publisher lined up and a book ready for it. Some people must have had this for a while.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I know, rhetorical question.

I only asked because some people are already prematurely jumping on Digi's grave, having been frustrated with Digi tying them to the same combination of software/hardware and upgrade path, and limiting their options.

If Apple is selling software at a loss, do you really think they will continue to let you use whatever hardware you want with it ?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Talking

Quote:
Dude, a 800mhz G4 could do 24 tracks with plugins. I mixed a few albums that way!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

But does it have "save"? The logic page says nothing about saving. Boohoo I will miss saving. Thats major. Still in shock!! OMG panic

No seriously... Looks like it was worth the wait.
I will call my local dealer tomorrow about upgrade prize in €.

- Jesse -
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987 View Post
please, please, please tell me it means that HD TDM and Logic will use the TDM bus on an intel mac!!!! please!! it sure does look like it.. if anyone could confirm this, it would be great..
my bad. i think the issue was not the 888 (older vs HD) version of pro tools hardware but the actual intel compatibility.

but if the manual and specs say it suports PT HD then great!.

does someone know if there is an issue on using PT HD with logic 7 or 8 under mac intels?

maybe they just fixed it.

i would have prefer to have the logic plugs as audiosuite style processing.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Understood, but I am no longer really a student (although I still have a valid student ID, I like to keep my purchases 100% honest). It's looking like the student version won't upgrade, but you can't really tell until you put in your XSkey when you're installing and seeing if it works.
Even if you have to purchase a brand new copy of Logic 8 it should still bring you in around the same price point as those of us who paid $1000 for Logic Pro 7 and are upgrading to 8.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I am not very impressed by the featurelist (logic 4.8 pc user here.. long time ago)
There are more details here:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/New...ogic_Pro_8.pdf

Maybe there aren't so many new major features (I'm sure we'll see more in the subreleases), but lots of minor improvements and a major overhaul of the UI/workflow.

Maybe it actually wouldn't have been a such good idea to both restructure/rewrite the basic code and add lots of major new features in the same version?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Why, what'd you hear about Logic 9?!
metafysical mindwarp function function on every single cell
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBenz View Post
Has anyone seen anything related to whether or not Logic 8 will take advantage of all 8 cores in those Mac Pro boxes?
I haven't read the manual yet but Apple will not likely trumpet multi-core support until Leopard. Tiger supports 8 cores but the problem is that the OS doesn't support core affinity so the CPU caches are thrashed as they begin to store the same data. Intel is also at fault because their quad core chips only have cache snooping features for 2-cores. Thus in an 8-core computer the Intel snoop filter only see's 4 sets of 2-core packages and OS X cannot manage/lock data to cores.

If you have an Octo Mac...buy Leopard as soon as it comes out. Apple has new API for improving multicore performance in Leopard (NSoperation)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
I know, rhetorical question.

I only asked because some people are already prematurely jumping on Digi's grave, having been frustrated with Digi tying them to the same combination of software/hardware and upgrade path, and limiting their options.

If Apple is selling software at a loss, do you really think they will continue to let you use whatever hardware you want with it ?
I'm slightly biased here cos I am and always will be a Mac user so being tied into using it is not so much of a problem.
Again speculating wildly but I think Apple could care less about trying to grab Digi's upper end users, they want the reputation that comes with having that user base but the big bucks is in the Malcoms-in-the-middle of the world.
However Apple is at it's peak of its business growth since Jobs return and I think they will spend a lot of effort maintaining that kushty seat and I believe (and hope) that will mean more good things rather then bad ones for Logic users,
For companies like Steinberg, Ableton this will probably mean trouble ahead but for me.. well if they incorporate good features from Live that's good for me heh
If they in doing so steals customers from Abe then I'm sorry but.....
Old 12th September 2007
sny
Gear Head

Does anyone have a link to the full logic 8 reference manual if one exists? Am quite curious about the 'snap to transient' feature - not the same as 'tab to transient'. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by sny; 12th September 2007 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Incomplete post.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

hmurchison - thanks for that reply.

I currently "only" have a dual-G5. Funny, just a few messages up, I see references to easily mixing 24 tracks with plugins on an 800mhz G4, and here we are talking about 8-core Macs. I'd like to update my G5 to a Mac Pro, and I figured I would wait until the new models come out (perhaps in November), but then again - a new quad-core Mac Pro would probably serve me well for many, many years. Hmm.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sny View Post
Does anyone have a link to the full logic 8 reference manual if one exists?

Thanks
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...ser_Manual.pdf

I've read about 1/10th of it so far. If you were familiar with the LP7 manual some parts should be a breeze.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sny View Post
Does anyone have a link to the full logic 8 reference manual if one exists?

Thanks
Here you go:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...ser_Manual.pdf
Old 12th September 2007
sny
Gear Head

I thank you.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

They've completely changed the EXS24 editor. Looks a lot better and you can browse samples straight from the editor yipee
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Full delay compensation is what is stated on the apple site, with the ability to integrate hardware.

Sample accurate editing in the arange, yes.
I REALLY hope it works. I read the manual but it didn´t say anything about pinging inserted hardware or moving files samplewise. That´s what I´ve been missing.
...and a phase flip button on every channelstrip and bus!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elof View Post
I REALLY hope it works. I read the manual but it didn´t say anything about pinging inserted hardware or moving files samplewise. That´s what I´ve been missing.
...and a phase flip button on every channelstrip and bus!
Look at apple.com its there at least. Here is what it says about sample level edits.

"Improved audio editing features give you incredible flexibility and sample-accurate precision directly in the Arrange window. "
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

wow - I go out for lunch, and the thread has grown by 2 pages!

Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm exited. I am a Logic 7 user, and this release addresses most of my complaints.

Logic has had a rather steep lurning curve, and that has made many potential Logic users user shy away from it immediately. To make it easier to use was a number one priority. I only stuck to it because people I was working with preferred it, and now I am sold.

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydo View Post
WHO Cares what Apple's Strategy is
i dont know who your boss is
but i am the Boss OF Me
As a Long time Logic User There are many "dramatic "improvements That I can see off the JUMP and at a nice price THaT BENIFITS ME
Personally I could give a **** if every kid out there has a copy
and apparently Apple doesn't either.
IF APPLE WANTS TO FLOOD THE MARKET WITH LOGIC 8
ITS GOOD FOR BUZZ ITS GOOD FOR BIZ
Perhaps MOTU. There are laws againts monopoly and such tactics, aren´t they?dfegad
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Sorry guys this Logic Studio 8 website is a fake that I created as a joke. (just kidding)

I'm really hapy for those that have been waiting for this thing to come out.

Do you think this would work on a MacBook? Or is it to large of an application, and it seems like they juiced up Express, does anyone think it is a good buy, or just a waste of money? Would Logic Pro 7 be better than Express 8?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search