The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
  #181
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
I've seen this mentioned a few times in the thread, and am embarassed to admit I don't know what it means, why it's an issue and why it would be a good thing.

Would anyone care to give me the condensed 'for dummies' explanation?

Ta!
it means you can pan the left signal independently from the right on a stereo track... kinda handy, actually....
Old 12th September 2007
  #182
Lives for gear
 
reid's Avatar
 

And now that it makes sense - it really makes sense

Many thanks guys.
Old 12th September 2007
  #183
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
As it is now you can only pan a stereo track either Left or Right but you can't, as you can on PT, change the balance relation freely in between the two tracks ie have them 50L - 50R instead of 100L - 100R
Doesn't Logic's "Direction Mixer" plugin do that?
Old 12th September 2007
  #184
Lives for gear
 
PapillonIrl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
Apple is on a roll and clearly can't do nothing wrong at the mo.

The look, feel and all the action taking place in a single window will mean that any user coming from Garageband will feel immediately at home.

PT killer or not (extremely moot point)... more competition between Digi and Apple will mean cheaper and hopefully better products for end users.

I dunno...this may be affect consumers adversely...I feel this sort of price indicates they may be working at a loss in an attempt to oust the competion.

It looks like they may care more about making money from hardware rather than software. Why no dongle ? It'll be on every warez site in a week.

Kind of difficult for Steinberg, Magix et al to compete at this price and continue to support their customers.

Also I don't see any dramatic updates apart from the price, loss of dongle, and most importantly, MARKETING.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Nathan

p.s. I know....it's only software...capitalism in effect etc. etc.
Old 12th September 2007
  #185
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBenz View Post
Doesn't Logic's "Direction Mixer" plugin do that?
Yep
Old 12th September 2007
  #186
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by corworld View Post
Taken from the new features PDF:

The enhanced Stereo Compressor allows you to switch the circuit between several
models, including: Platinum, Classic A_R, Classic A_U, VCA, FET, and Opto (optical).

What is Classic A_R, and A_U??
The same compressor was available in Soundtrack Pro 2 when it was released with FCS 2 some months ago and no consensus could be found.

Classic A_U is thought to be Classic American UREI and Classic A_R remains a complete unknown.

But hopefully it will be explained in the Logic Pro 8 Plugin Reference which has yet to make an appearance on the Apple Support site from what I can tell.
Old 12th September 2007
  #187
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
I dunno...this may be affect consumers adversely...I feel this sort of price indicates they may be working at a loss in an attempt to oust the competion.

It looks like they may care more about making money from hardware rather than software. Why no dongle ? It'll be on every warez site in a week.

Kind of difficult for Steinberg, Magix et al to compete at this price and continue to support their customers.

Also I don't see any dramatic updates apart from the price, loss of dongle, and most importantly, MARKETING.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Nathan

p.s. I know....it's only software...capitalism in effect etc. etc.
The new features seem to enable you to do things in a more efficient way than with v7, but afaik there don't seem to be groundbreaking new features.
Old 12th September 2007
  #188
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBenz View Post
Doesn't Logic's "Direction Mixer" plugin do that?
yes, it is just really handy to have it right there, on the surface...

Old 12th September 2007
  #189
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBenz View Post
Doesn't Logic's "Direction Mixer" plugin do that?
Yes, but then that is one more plug in of course.
Old 12th September 2007
  #190
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

Finally!

It seems all very interesting and I'm glad they've finally addressed the 'user-unfriendliness' in this version a bit! The all-in-one window seems to be a good idea and not having to use Environment to set things up is a blessing as well -- I hated Environment.

Buying one asap!
Old 12th September 2007
  #191
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 

That's one thing I don't like about Ableton live. I use an external monitor with my MBP and it's crazy awkward to stretch the main UI across both screens. Ableton *doesn't* allow you to detach any panel from the main interface. This sucks for multiple monitors that aren't the exact same vertical pixel height. I get over it though. Ableton's UI is still a winner in my book.

I prefer an interface that looks, acts, and feels like one app(live), but with the ability to detach panels(e.g., mixer) and float them somewhere if I want to.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Multiple monitors should still be useful. You can spread it over two screens and stlll move things around. I'm sure you can still break out multiple windows if you want, but by default the screenset tries to keep everything in a single window, so things don't get on top of each other. Nothing worse than having a score edit, hyper edit, piano roll, mixer, arrange window, etc... all on top of each other and trying to sort through them. Close the wrong hyper edit window that you just set up, and it sucks.

You should still be able to drag plugins over to screen 2, etc... It's just that you can get a lot MORE done from just one window.
Old 12th September 2007
  #192
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc41 View Post
i guess this isn't confirmed since i didn't buy it. but i just went and asked at the bookstore here on campus(University California San Diego) and the salesman said they would have the product in next week, and that Express would be 69 and Studio would be 150. I had him ask again and he said that's what they think they'll be selling it for. if that's true..wow..amazing price point
Understood, but I am no longer really a student (although I still have a valid student ID, I like to keep my purchases 100% honest). It's looking like the student version won't upgrade, but you can't really tell until you put in your XSkey when you're installing and seeing if it works.
Old 12th September 2007
  #193
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
The new features seem to enable you to do things in a more efficient way than with v7, but afaik there don't seem to be groundbreaking new features.
I'd have to say stuff like the comping is pretty effing cool and there seem to be LOADS of great new features.
Let's compare this to the competition. What has the competition brought out that is ground breaking recently?
And what ground breaking features are needed? I'd say half price for a package with soundtrack pro and all the other additions (er...40 gigs of stuff) is pretty ground breaking on it's own.
Old 12th September 2007
  #194
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 

dongles ping your USB port while you're using your app. This is not something I want Apple developers spending their time fixing/improving/implementing.

The only dongle I can handle is one that actually provides value to the user(uad-1, digi002/3, etc.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
I dunno...this may be affect consumers adversely...I feel this sort of price indicates they may be working at a loss in an attempt to oust the competion.

It looks like they may care more about making money from hardware rather than software. Why no dongle ? It'll be on every warez site in a week.

Kind of difficult for Steinberg, Magix et al to compete at this price and continue to support their customers.

Also I don't see any dramatic updates apart from the price, loss of dongle, and most importantly, MARKETING.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Nathan

p.s. I know....it's only software...capitalism in effect etc. etc.
Old 12th September 2007
  #195
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Absotively Posilutely Wonderful!

Goodbye Digi !!!

I don't care what the industry standard WAS.

They pissed me off, made me crazy, made me hate recording and now I'm done with
their scheme!
Old 12th September 2007
  #196
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
I dunno...this may be affect consumers adversely...I feel this sort of price indicates they may be working at a loss in an attempt to oust the competion.

It looks like they may care more about making money from hardware rather than software. Why no dongle ? It'll be on every warez site in a week.

Kind of difficult for Steinberg, Magix et al to compete at this price and continue to support their customers.

Also I don't see any dramatic updates apart from the price, loss of dongle, and most importantly, MARKETING.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Nathan

p.s. I know....it's only software...capitalism in effect etc. etc.
Setting aside all the inherent evils of capitalism I think you're wrong in the assumption that Apple sets a low value to how their applications are regarded especially by professional user, just because their main business is indeed to sell hardware.
I believe Jobs & Co are acutely aware how perception can sink or float a product and that is why the put so much effort into how their products are designed.
PT is regarded as the de-facto professional DAW by a lot of people and that will of course influence their choice of purchase. If Logic can establish itself in the same bracket by making sure that their product is up to par with what the professional user community wants they will obviously reap the same benefit.
Old 12th September 2007
  #197
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Absotively Posilutely Wonderful!

Goodbye Digi !!!

I don't care what the industry standard WAS.

They pissed me off, made me crazy, made me hate recording and now I'm done with
their scheme!
I'm a happy Logic Pro 7 user who bought the upgrade this morning - will try it on my non production machine while they work out the bugs.

However, on any platform (like everything else in life) moving from one camp to the other may be of benefit, but keep in mind you will probably discover a few things that don't work as you hoped/expected.

That being said, at this price, who cares? It'll be worth it just to have an alternate system for some.
Old 12th September 2007
  #198
Lives for gear
 
shangoe's Avatar
 

ok, now i think for the first time.... its time to say bye to my lovly logic 5.5 on a dual 450MHZ G4 on OS 9
Old 12th September 2007
  #199
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen B. View Post
Do you have this on good authority or just an educated guess? Inquiring minds want to know.
on line the US academic prics is $449 still a good deal!
Old 12th September 2007
  #200
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
I dunno...this may be affect consumers adversely...I feel this sort of price indicates they may be working at a loss in an attempt to oust the competion.

It looks like they may care more about making money from hardware rather than software. Why no dongle ? It'll be on every warez site in a week.

Kind of difficult for Steinberg, Magix et al to compete at this price and continue to support their customers.

Also I don't see any dramatic updates apart from the price, loss of dongle, and most importantly, MARKETING.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Nathan

p.s. I know....it's only software...capitalism in effect etc. etc.
WHO Cares what Apple's Strategy is
i dont know who your boss is
but i am the Boss OF Me
As a Long time Logic User There are many "dramatic "improvements That I can see off the JUMP and at a nice price THaT BENIFITS ME
Personally I could give a **** if every kid out there has a copy
and apparently Apple doesn't either.
IF APPLE WANTS TO FLOOD THE MARKET WITH LOGIC 8
ITS GOOD FOR BUZZ ITS GOOD FOR BIZ
Old 12th September 2007
  #201
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydo View Post
Originally Posted by gsilbers
...that means anyone now will be able to download it from P2P with a serial. thus, any kid is going to have it.


does that frighten you?
PS. it should!
Every Mac ships with a full pro-level software development environment gratis, and last I checked, programming computers at a competitive level still pays more-than-decent dough.

I'm 100% fine with every computer in the world shipping with a full-featured DAW laden with pro-quality plugins. My grasp on relevance and worth depends very little on exclusive access to software.
Old 12th September 2007
  #202
Lives for gear
 
PapillonIrl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
dongles ping your USB port while you're using your app. This is not something I want Apple developers spending their time fixing/improving/implementing.

The only dongle I can handle is one that actually provides value to the user(uad-1, digi002/3, etc.)
Granted, and I agree.

I was really just asking WHY they dropped it ? Because their users don't want processer time, and development time spent on it ?

I doubt it somehow...

And WHY the huge price drop ?
Old 12th September 2007
  #203
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I'm glad it's out, but let's NOT start a dumbass rumor mill about V9.
Why, what'd you hear about Logic 9?!
Old 12th September 2007
  #204
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post

I'm 100% fine with every computer in the world shipping with a full-featured DAW laden with pro-quality plugins. My grasp on relevance and worth depends very little on exclusive access to software.
Another excellent point.

If everyone had access to an endless supply of original u47s, attached to free 1073s (or 81s) into an endless string of dollar store-bought original 1176s and LA2As into the now $5 each HEDD 192s, woudl that make all that equipment suddenly sound thin, brittle and 2 dimensional?
Old 12th September 2007
  #205
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
Granted, and I agree.

I was really just asking WHY they dropped it ? Because their users don't want processer time, and development time spent on it ?

I doubt it somehow...
I'm speculating here but Ii think it affects the stability of the app. There have been al lot of discussion in regards to Syncrosoft/Cubase/Nuendo - if its valid I don't know.

[QUOTE ] And WHY the huge price drop ?[/QUOTE]

Gifted horse and all that......
Old 12th September 2007
  #206
Gear Head
 
drumzy's Avatar
 

re V8: is an imac 24" 2.4ghz with 2g ram a capable enough machine for mixing ~24tracks with typical config of plugins?

if so....talk about a bargain rig!
Old 12th September 2007
  #207
Lives for gear
 

PS:
Apple is the The #3 Music Retailer in the World
THEY HAVENT MADE MANY DUMB MOVES LATELY HAVE THEY
Take A look at the STOCK PRICE

Apple Inc. AAPL (NASDAQ GS)
$136.85
Change:+1.36 +1.00%
Volume:36,181,875
Old 12th September 2007
  #208
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
Granted, and I agree.

I was really just asking WHY they dropped it ? Because their users don't want processer time, and development time spent on it ?

I doubt it somehow...

And WHY the huge price drop ?
Quote:
making money from hardware
Old 12th September 2007
  #209
Gear Maniac
 
jordanh's Avatar
 

Thought you might be interested in this...i was interested in what the student/educaiton pricing might be, so i thought, perhaps NYU is updated since my school isnt. According to NYU online applestore, here is the pricing:

Logic Studio Academic - $449
Logic Express 8 - $179
Old 12th September 2007
  #210
Lives for gear
 
PapillonIrl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
Setting aside all the inherent evils of capitalism I think you're wrong in the assumption that Apple sets a low value to how their applications are regarded especially by professional user, just because their main business is indeed to sell hardware.
I believe Jobs & Co are acutely aware how perception can sink or float a product and that is why the put so much effort into how their products are designed.
PT is regarded as the de-facto professional DAW by a lot of people and that will of course influence their choice of purchase. If Logic can establish itself in the same bracket by making sure that their product is up to par with what the professional user community wants they will obviously reap the same benefit.
Fair point, but whether they are focused on going after other Native DAW's or just Digi, I think the outcome may be the same.

I strongly dislike Digi's business model, and this to me looks like more of the same, and I can't see how it can fail to affect other companies (some of who have been responsible for major devepments in DAW workflow) negatively.

Cheers,

Nathan
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump