The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
the non dongle thing is interesting. that means anyone now will be able to download it from P2P with a serial. thus, any kid is going to have it.
Contrast that with Waves' policy...some companies are moving forward, others are going prehistoric.

Note that the Logic Studio + Duet still costs (street, more than) double what the PTLE + MBox2 costs. Apogee wouldn't even publish specs (e.g. dynamic range) for the Duet when I looked. I'm sure people who make a cut off these sales will proclaim the Duet to be competitive with high-end converters and pres and other such nonsense imminently. Note the Duet lacks digital i/o...it's probably far better to skip the interface and just plug an RME ADI-2 into the Mac's internal optical i/o and shop for preamps.

An interesting possibility is an Apple buyout of Apogee. Digi uses Apple's traditional model: sell hardware on the strength of software. Apple doesn't have a hardware position in creative content beyond the computer, which forces them to compete in unfamiliar territory and confront issues like copy protection. A buyout of Apogee would give Apple cred in high-end consumer audio as well, opening up the possibility of hifi ipods and Apple TVs etc.

I think this v8 release will keep Logic alive for Mac users who are MIDI-oriented, and it will provide an upgrade path for Garageband users who aren't professional aspirants. There will also be more headway made in the audio-for-video realm over the overpriced PT DV Toolkit.

PT will remain the studio standard at the HD level and the LE seats will continue to be sold to allow people to retain that knowledge and edit those sessions outside the big expensive studio. And I hope this puts more pressure on digi to expedite the addition of Delay Comp to LE.

Even so, the $500 price tag combined with all the other goodies thrown in...GB of raw content serves as its own dongle in a sense...makes this attractive as a MIDI- or video-oriented tracking package that, for some projects, you could just leave it in Logic and not go to PT for audio and mixdown.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
where are these demos? I didnt see them on the apple pages...

Apple - Logic Studio - Studio Effects

On the top right, it says "delay designer listen".
Old 12th September 2007

WARNING: 56K DO NOT CLICK ON THE PHOTOS IN FOLLOWING LINK... THEY ARE HUGE!

I'm hosting some EXTREMELY HIGH RES photos on the following page:

Logic Studio Gallery

I'll be putting up more as soon as I can.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post

Note that the Logic Studio + Duet still costs (street, more than) double what the PTLE + MBox2 costs.
In all fairness I think it should be compared with logic express and some entry level usb card.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
...that means anyone now will be able to download it from P2P with a serial. thus, any kid is going to have it.
No problem since all the PC Crackheads who are the main culprits will have to shell out for some real Mac hardware first. Therefore tying them into the Mac userbase and thus generating some real money for the company.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
No problem since all the PC Crackheads who are the main culprits will have to shell out for some real Mac hardware first. Therefore tying them into the Mac userbase and thus generating some real money for the company.
Only if the crackers can't get MacOS X running on their PC first...
Old 12th September 2007
Apple have this same copy protection with Final Cut forever (FC goes for 1K if I'm not mistaken) and I don't think they'll make a move like this (dropping dongle protection) if they're gonna loose money. The price drop is 100% tied with the copy protection change.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think that Apple cares less and less about software piracy than you would imagine.

They seem like Adobe circa 1999, where the only protection on the software was a serial, and there was no online authorization. If I remember right, there was a stupid default key for photoshop that was all the same key or something silly. Obviously, Adobe didn't care at the time.

Apple doesn't have protection on most of it's software. They figure (correctly) that to run their software you have to buy their hardware. When you start running their software, you want to buy MORE of their hardware. Last I checked Apple's quarterly reports, profits were WAAAY up and so I guess this workflow works for them!

I'm not endorsing piracy, and neither is Apple, but I think Apple has a model of how to not fight against it, to make it work for them. I don't think Apple has (or does often) send out nasty lawsuit letters to people that have downloaded or shared their products- unlikes Waves, the RIAA/MPAA, Microsoft, etc..

Keep in mind, Jobs and Woz were both hackers and pranksters. They know what can be circumvented. Don't tell me for a second that Jobs looks at a program and doesn't think, "couldn't people just share the serial number?". He knows, but this works for Apple.

I for one am putting in my order to get it ASAP. I am glad that now I don't have to worry about this expensive little dongle getting lost.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic 7 Academic upgrade to LP8?

When I was a student at Berklee I bought LP7 Academic version. It was always assumed that you couldn't upgrade it, but the only difference is your XSKey (same CDs, etc..)

Does Apple support/allow upgrades from LP7 Academic? If not, that's fine. Even if I 'could' do it, but Apple didn't support/endorse it I'd buy the full. I'd just like the ability to upgrade if possible.

Does anyone know yet? I just clicked on the 'buy' option for the upgrade and it didn't say anything.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Well, i guess Mac crackedheads have it the easy way then. As easy as resseting your Waves dongles.

BTW, will Logic 8 open Logic 7 projects? Is Logic 8 license transferable? in case one gets fed up with perfection.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Also of note, it comes with an IR response generator program, and Compressor. Compressor is REALLY nice, and great whenever you have to deliver in multiple formats, test multiple formats, render over multiple computers, etc..
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
Well, i guess Mac crackedheads have it the easy way then. As easy as resseting your Waves dongles.

BTW, will Logic 8 open Logic 7 projects? Is Logic 8 license transferable? in case one gets fed up with perfection.
LP8 will surely open LP7 projects. Not THAT much has changed
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just hope the AU validation is the same as the last version, thus allowing all third party stuff that works now continuing to do so uninterupted in Logic 8, a beautiful smooth painless transition...

Anyone?

Zz.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

and for those who dont know... TDM suport is only for the old PT systems (888s) not new HD. as far as i know and didnt mention HD in the specs.
That's simply incorrect. In fact it doesn't even make sense. The older TDM cards aren't even supported in 10.4.10 to the best of my knowledge. Also, it's clearly stated in their literature that it supports HD, and requires Protools 7.4 to be installed.

Check it out here.

More facts, less rumors. This was a rumor a while back that they were dropping TDM/HD support.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

rewire

Anything about recording plugs and rewire straight to a track?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Originally Posted by gsilbers
...that means anyone now will be able to download it from P2P with a serial. thus, any kid is going to have it.

does that frighten you?
PS. it should!

this upgrade has addressed my major complaints
so i bought it
i would have paid twice as much
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

please, please, please tell me it means that HD TDM and Logic will use the TDM bus on an intel mac!!!! please!! it sure does look like it.. if anyone could confirm this, it would be great..
Old 12th September 2007
I am not very impressed by the featurelist (logic 4.8 pc user here.. long time ago), but if apple can make it stable

I will buy a mac..

and apogee symphony

joking hehhehheh

stability is king. if they get it right, without dongle, they can eat up all the protools le user..

or?
Old 12th September 2007

Ok... what is the first thing you think of when you see this picture?

Live, anyone? heh

This is so cool...
Old 12th September 2007
Delay Designer is cool!
Old 12th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
Anything about recording plugs and rewire straight to a track?
New rewire functionality:

Streamlined ReWire support
Integrating ReWire-compatible applications with Logic Pro is dramatically streamlined. You can now manage all setup and configuration in the Arrange window, with no need to open the Environment or create special “ReWire Objects.”
Open Ableton Live or Propellerhead Reason directly in Logic Pro, then select the instrument you want to play from the list that dynamically appears in the Browser. To monitor or process audio coming from a ReWire application, just select the outputs as the input source for any auxiliary channel.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is this "one window" layout going to make using two monitors worthless? I hope these parts are not permanently glued together. If you can't not dissect the mixer for example from the rest of Logic then you can not effectively setup things how you want on two monitors.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987 View Post
please, please, please tell me it means that HD TDM and Logic will use the TDM bus on an intel mac!!!! please!! it sure does look like it.. if anyone could confirm this, it would be great..
Read the TDM guide. Seems to me that you can use the TDM/HD bus in Logic, and also use the Core Audio bus. Maybe I read that wrong however. Seems that HD should work just fine. I'm really excite about that, as the studio that I freelance at has an HD|3 system that I'd like to use for mixing. I'll still likely bounce back and forth between PT and Logic however, since they have a Procontrol there, which to the best of my knowledge is a boatanchor for logic.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post

Ok... what is the first thing you think of when you see this picture?

Live, anyone? heh

This is so cool...

Traktion 4?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Taken from the new features PDF:

The enhanced Stereo Compressor allows you to switch the circuit between several
models, including: Platinum, Classic A_R, Classic A_U, VCA, FET, and Opto (optical).

What is Classic A_R, and A_U??
Old 12th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
When I was a student at Berklee I bought LP7 Academic version. It was always assumed that you couldn't upgrade it, but the only difference is your XSKey (same CDs, etc..)

Does Apple support/allow upgrades from LP7 Academic? If not, that's fine. Even if I 'could' do it, but Apple didn't support/endorse it I'd buy the full. I'd just like the ability to upgrade if possible.

Does anyone know yet? I just clicked on the 'buy' option for the upgrade and it didn't say anything.
i guess this isn't confirmed since i didn't buy it. but i just went and asked at the bookstore here on campus(University California San Diego) and the salesman said they would have the product in next week, and that Express would be 69 and Studio would be 150. I had him ask again and he said that's what they think they'll be selling it for. if that's true..wow..amazing price point
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Is this "one window" layout going to make using two monitors worthless? I hope these parts are not permanently glued together. If you can't not dissect the mixer for example from the rest of Logic then you can not effectively setup things how you want on two monitors.
Multiple monitors should still be useful. You can spread it over two screens and stlll move things around. I'm sure you can still break out multiple windows if you want, but by default the screenset tries to keep everything in a single window, so things don't get on top of each other. Nothing worse than having a score edit, hyper edit, piano roll, mixer, arrange window, etc... all on top of each other and trying to sort through them. Close the wrong hyper edit window that you just set up, and it sucks.

You should still be able to drag plugins over to screen 2, etc... It's just that you can get a lot MORE done from just one window.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apple is on a roll and clearly can't do nothing wrong at the mo.

The look, feel and all the action taking place in a single window will mean that any user coming from Garageband will feel immediately at home.

PT killer or not (extremely moot point)... more competition between Digi and Apple will mean cheaper and hopefully better products for end users.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
-independent stereo panning/stereo sends (like PT)? if not, no big deal, i can still use non-Universal Track Mode.
I've seen this mentioned a few times in the thread, and am embarassed to admit I don't know what it means, why it's an issue and why it would be a good thing.

Would anyone care to give me the condensed 'for dummies' explanation?

Ta!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
I've seen this mentioned a few times in the thread, and am embarassed to admit I don't know what it means, why it's an issue and why it would be a good thing.

Would anyone care to give me the condensed 'for dummies' explanation?

Ta!
As it is now you can only pan a stereo track either Left or Right but you can't, as you can on PT, change the balance relation freely in between the two tracks ie have them 50L - 50R instead of 100L - 100R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search