The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I've called a few local apple stores and they don't know when they are getting it.

I'm ready to buy it!
Logic Studio begins shipping today and we should have them in a couple of days.

I can't believe they added tab to transient:

Snap-to-transient selection lets you extend marquee selection borders to the next or previous transient for fast, efficient drum editing and sound replacement.

And SAMPLE ACCURATE EDITING IN THE ARRANGE WINDOW>>>>>> YES!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The education store has a listing for Logic Pro and Express but says it's not available yet. I wonder if the prices will still be cut in half?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

i've ordered my copy today. it looks fantastic, and i can't believe the value for the money. i'm excited to give it a whirl.

i had gotten a pretty beefy intel mac this year, so the logic upgrade with the new operating system next month ought to be extremely efficient. i'm very curious to see how that combo performs. i'm cautiously optimistic.

now i'd like to see soundiver properly released and i'd be happy.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Yes! This makes me so glad I bought a ProjectMix instead of a Digi 003!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

They're in store here in Chicago but said they had just come in and were not yet unpacked.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Main Stage. That thing looks amazing.

I must admit, Logic 8 is otherwise not that jaw dropping. The price drop, the new plugs, and Main Stage look great, but it is not the PT killer that many of us were expecting to see.

If anything, this is going to compete against PT LE market base, but not so much HD.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

i wonder if I could leave Logic 7.2 on my Mac Pro, but also install Logic 8 on the same machine.... and use either one or the other..... (not at the same time, of course)

Once folks here get Logic 8 installed, would you be as so kind to post that info?

Last edited by mixerguy; 12th September 2007 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonJack View Post

I must admit, Logic 8 is otherwise not that jaw dropping. The price drop, the new plugs, and Main Stage look great, but it is not the PT killer that many of us were expecting to see.

If anything, this is going to compete against PT LE market base, but not so much HD.

Who was hoping for a PT killer? What? Everyone read some rumor by some jerk in France who was trying to get traffic on his lame site.

Why does it need to be a PT killer, why can't we all just get along? Why can't we accept that competition is a good thing?

Sing it with me:
Why can we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends...

Long-time Logic users got what they were asking for (in a good/great way) and got what they needed to not start looking elsewhere. It's a great upgrade.

It has however, been fun to see the fallout as a result of the no-longer-as-elite pricing. Does it mean it sounds crappy now, like they took out 50% of the mojo?

Logic Studio "now with 50% less of that sound you love or hate"

Just make music already.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Amazing in everyway and the price...
This and Duet looks like the way to go.
I thought they would wait for Leopard so timing was surprise.
Wondering if it will be a free update with Leopard coming around
the corner. Any of you guys who get it soon, please report on
stability. I'm sure its going to be extremely fast.
Old 12th September 2007
I'm gonna miss screen sets
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
Who was hoping for a PT killer? What? Everyone read some rumor by some jerk in France who was trying to get traffic on his lame site.

Why does it need to be a PT killer, why can't we all just get along? Why can't we accept that competition is a good thing?

Sing it with me:
Why can we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends...

Long-time Logic users got what they were asking for (in a good/great way) and got what they needed to not start looking elsewhere. It's a great upgrade.
No need to get all annoyed. The truth is many people were expecting (or hoping for) a PT killer, myself included. Was it founded in all the web rumors? Yes. Competition is indeed good, which is why many of us thought Logic 8 would target PT...hence the idea of a "PT Killer." Not that serious buddy...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
They're actually still there. You can even name them now. It's just not defaulted that way.

From the Logic Pro 8 manual on pg. 59:
Quote:
While you will perform most of your work in the Arrange, you can open different combinations of windows (even several of the same type) and adjust each individually. It is also easy to save different window arrangements (called screensets, discussed in “Using Screensets” on page 78), and recall them by pressing a key.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

anyone hesard the demos for delay designer. thats **** is awsome!!>

sample acurate editing in the arrange.

didnt mention automatic delay compensation but it would be wierd if they took it out in an upgrade.

and for those who dont know... TDM suport is only for the old PT systems (888s) not new HD. as far as i know and didnt mention HD in the specs.

i wonder how would u setup a multi instrument now....

recording busses!! nice!!

impulse response utility looks interesting.

seems like the synths are the same. oh well, they sounded pretty cool already.

still wondering about the 64 bit suport for when leopard comes out. and being able to use more than 3gb of ram.

hopefuly all my plugins will pass the validation tool (or whatever is now) and not wait for each and every company to upgrade their plugs to be compatible with logic studio.

anyone know if plugs that where compaitble with logic pro 7 will be companitble with logic 8?

the non dongle thing is interesting. that means anyone now will be able to download it from P2P with a serial. thus, any kid is going to have it.

does logic 8 have the same easeness of setting up virtual knobs to hardware controller as with "mainstage"
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Screen Sets are still there
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
No need to get all annoyed. The truth is many people were expecting (or hoping for) a PT killer, myself included. Was it founded in all the web rumors? Yes. Competition is indeed good, which is why many of us thought Logic 8 would target PT...hence the idea of a "PT Killer." Not that serious buddy...
It did target PT LE quite clearly. I'm not annoyed at all, in fact I think if you re-read my post I find it just hilarious how a single site used the word "PT Killer" and then it became a war-cry.

What is a PT Killer anyway?

I use Logic for my living and Logic Pro 7 was working fine at 2am last night doing what I needed it to do. And I'm looking forward to the changes LS will bring.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:

It does? It basically looks like a shell for Logic instruments, effects, and plugs with a GUI. Is that amazing, or am I missing something?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundone View Post
It does? It basically looks like a shell for Logic instruments, effects, and plugs with a GUI. Is that amazing, or am I missing something?
Nope it's a great addition to the suite. The days of opening up multiple Logic projects at live shows just to use a soft synth or a sampler are over.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut
Many Steps into the right direction but still some IMPORTANT points that I miss:
Full automatic delay compensation for outboard gear!!!!!!
Hey Apple: This is a must for a pro studio software - check the competition

Point 2: Is it now possible to move regions samplewise in the new arrange??

Reto
Old 12th September 2007
looks nice!
environment still there? check
legacy control surface support? check
new features? check

looks more like evolution than revolution, this update..
waiting for 8.1 heh
or logic 9? maybe they'll cut the price in half again. LOL

apple.nl is a bit eeh slow??
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...FAE&nplm=MA328
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
anyone hesard the demos for delay designer. thats **** is awsome!!>
I heard it, its great. I especially liked the last audio clip with the percussion loop.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

what about those still using OS 10.3???

Apple "recommends" 10.4....would you take that to mean if you haven't upgraded you're out of luck?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I think Mainstage looks quite good too-- well, i guess only if you like to use logic and your plugins in a live setting...maybe thats another forum though...

for now i wait to see what the student pricing is! But this makes me even happier about purchasing the ensemble, and even more reason to get a mac pro once leopard comes out!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

To those who spread inaccurate rumors

Screw you.
Why in the world people would spread stuff like "It requires an intel processor", or "There is no environment", or "Requires 10.5"

Dumb ****s.
I'm sorry, but all of the baseless rumors, the "dates we know it's being released", etc... Just pisses me off.

I'm glad it's out, but let's NOT start a dumbass rumor mill about V9.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Many Steps into the right direction but still some IMPORTANT points that I miss:
Full automatic delay compensation for outboard gear!!!!!!
Hey Apple: This is a must for a pro studio software - check the competition
Full delay compensation is what is stated on the apple site, with the ability to integrate hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Point 2: Is it now possible to move regions samplewise in the new arrange??
Reto
Sample accurate editing in the arange, yes.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I heard it, its great. I especially liked the last audio clip with the percussion loop.
where are these demos? I didnt see them on the apple pages...

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
looks nice!
environment still there? check
legacy control surface support? check
new features? check

looks more like evolution than revolution, this update..
waiting for 8.1 heh
or logic 9? maybe they'll cut the price in half again. LOL

apple.nl is a bit eeh slow??
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...FAE&nplm=MA328
not only the dutch
http://www.apple.com/uk/logic/

i hope we dont have to whait our asses of over here in Europe, im realy in need for an affordable daw.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

There goes 199 dollars.

Kickass.

Mac loving Logic Producing dorks like myself rejoice!

Hail the arrival of Logic 8!

love the new audio editing features.

Rock!
Old 12th September 2007
Looking GREAT!!!
Congrats to apple and those who are into Logic. I wish I where...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm really surprised that there aren't blatant Beat Detective and Melodyne ripoffs.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

here are my personal concerns:

-no dongles... so multiple computers?

-improved/worse audio engine? (bounce a L7 & L8, compare via phase-flip)

-64bit to utilize more than 4GB of RAM?

-direct insert of external hardware... how is that different from I/O plug? any latency?

-hope bounce to Video feature is fixed

-independent stereo panning/stereo sends (like PT)? if not, no big deal, i can still use non-Universal Track Mode.

-stability? if it's like SP2... yikes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search