The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The power harness on my 002Rack just went. This is a nice time to reconsider Logic for me.

By the way, I notice there are 132 of us lurking on this thread. Boatload of interest for this release.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

good update

good pricing

good news!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_stone View Post
Logic's internal resolution for faders is much higher than what you see in the UI. I know, for example, that when I use the Logic Control, I get 1024 volume levels. Same thing goes for automation, its very high resolution.

The old "MIDI" value system 0-127, is there to provide compatibility with using 7 bit controller input in the environment.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks for mention it.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
My wifes not gonna like this anouncement
Come on:

"Holy crap woman, they just announce Logic Studio!"

"How much?"

"Remember the last upgrade was $499 and the first one cost me over a grand?"

Sigh. "Yes. How much."

"Two hundred."

"I like Apple more and more."

"Me too woman. Me too."
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

people using mcu's wont care either...

mcu's use 10 bit controllers for the faders.

Its only generic controller users who will have something to gripe about.

G
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Being stuck with 7 bit faders (& 32 bit summing?) is sort of a bummer! Its one of the most important things for a DAW since you cant change them by using external plugs (and one of the easiest things to change for the code writers). Who cares for 120 plugins if those essential basics are that weak?
There's nothing wrong with 32 bit floating point summing. Don't forget PTHD is 24 bit fixed point.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quick Swipe Comping!

My life just got so much easier, boy I'm still catching up with the improvements.

I am fairly stunned.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
There's nothing wrong with 32 bit floating point summing. Don't forget PTHD is 24 bit fixed point.
PTHD is 48 bit fixed, but I don't think anyone would claim that it sounds better than 32 bit float for that reason.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I don't know if this was posted:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/New...ogic_Pro_8.pdf
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Yay!!

Hope there's a vocalign-feature of some sort.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Um... no it isn't.
It's 48 bit fixed.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
PTHD is 48 bit fixed, but I don't think anyone would claim that it sounds better than 32 bit float for that reason.
beat me to it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

No RTAS

Looking at the TDM manual it says:

"RTAS Plug-ins
Please note that RTAS plug-ins can not be used in Logic Pro 8—only Audio Unit, TDM,
and native Logic Pro plug-ins are supported.
If you currently own any RTAS plug-ins, you should install the Audio Unit equivalents
for use in Logic Pro. Most plug-ins are available in several formats.
If no Audio Unit version is available on your RTAS plug-in installation CDs, please visit
the websites of the plug-in manufacturers."

Ah well.

ESB is still there as well, in all its clunky goodness.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, if Logic Studio works fine I´ll buy it anyway

By the way - what ProTools are you guys talkin about? PTHD is supposed to sum with 48 bit and I want that really inexpensive logic to be a HD killer

(to be honest I didn´t know it would be that inexpensive)

C´mon guys, we´re discussing dithering algorithms where no iPod-Kid will ever a difference. So why not eliminating rounding errors from the mix bus

Nice to hear that the faders have 10 bit resolution But a little weird that the full resolution is not available within logic (or am I missing a special key to press while movin the fader?)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice to hear that the faders have 10 bit resolution But a little weird that the full resolution is not available within logic (or am I missing a special key to press while movin the fader?)
Actually it is supported within Logic- if you think about it for a second... it has to be that way- otherwise you move a physical fader on the desk but it wouldn't correspond to anything in Logic.
Faders have no intelligence- they just send values- Logic has to interpret those values.

If you draw automation curves in Logic they have the same resolution as doing the same move with a fader.

Older digital desks (I am thinking Yamaha 01v, Promix01) used to have only 127 fader steps, which was just noticeable when an instrument was soloed.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Um... no it isn't.
It's 48 bit fixed.
To my ears the sounds gets more muddy the more tracks you mix together (I´m talkin about the previous Logic)
I´d say: It´s OK, get something else to mix the tracks together but the multiplyer of the machines they sell offer twice the resolution than their software.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK so is anyone else bothered by the issue that the sounds gets more muddy the more tracks you mix together?
How about listening to it first?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Interesting update

Looks like they're in it for the long haul. I really thought they were planning on ditching the pro audio dept and focusing on video & amateur audio.

Love the no dongle and I'm hopeful for the UI. I've got 7.2, but have used it less than 1hr because I can't get my head around it. I'll definitely pay the $200 to check it out.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Does it offer iPhone support yet? Running my mbox on my iPhone is so freakin' buggy it's hardly worth it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

too bad it doesnt mimic Ableton Live/cubase more, i would love to see the ability to drop loops/audio files directly into the arrange page and instantly match master tempo and if the need arises tweak to excellence. the apple loops/utility is too slow/clunky. OR is this possible?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just ordered it!
I'm getting it this weekend.
A bit envious of new Logic Studio users.
I've paid $1200 in total you know.
let's hope it's stable...

for those who live in japan...
the upgrade cost is ¥22,800 including the tax and shipping fee.
The Apple Store (Japan) - ƒ\ƒtƒgƒEƒFƒA
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Actually it is supported within Logic- if you think about it for a second... it has to be that way- otherwise you move a physical fader on the desk but it wouldn't correspond to anything in Logic.
Faders have no intelligence- they just send values- Logic has to interpret those values.

If you draw automation curves in Logic they have the same resolution as doing the same move with a fader.

Older digital desks (I am thinking Yamaha 01v, Promix01) used to have only 127 fader steps, which was just noticeable when an instrument was soloed.

Okay so lets say you have NO desk/controller. How are you going to set a fader value that is no ton the User Interface? Just by automation? I dont get it sorry.

I myself use a Tascam US2400 and I cannot set any satisfying value in the lower end of the fader. The resolution is just not high enough. Thats really a pain in the ass.

can you try to explain that a bit more, maybe i just think in the wrong direction?!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
To my ears the sounds gets more muddy the more tracks you mix together (I´m talkin about the previous Logic)
I´d say: It´s OK, get something else to mix the tracks together but the multiplyer of the machines they sell offer twice the resolution than their software.
I'm a Logic/TDM user for most of my work- and I mix on a console so I don't deal with this daily.
However, I have done mixes native and ITB in the past but never noticed this.
There are so many more variables (converters, amount of digital eq/compression used, the engineer) that it could be rather than the summing bus.
I'd be looking and the converters and the clocking looooong before worrying about the summing bus.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbluness View Post
Okay so lets say you have NO desk/controller. How are you going to set a fader value that is no ton the User Interface? Just by automation? I dont get it sorry.

I myself use a Tascam US2400 and I cannot set any satisfying value in the lower end of the fader. The resolution is just not high enough. Thats really a pain in the ass.

can you try to explain that a bit more, maybe i just think in the wrong direction?!
If you do a fade from -6db to -3db that fade will have a 10bit resolution.
There are many more 'steps' that what you can see within Logic- a lot of it is invisible to us as users- I remember Michael Haydn giving me the reasons why several years ago- although I've forgotten exactly why right now. If it comes to me, I will let you know- or you can search the LUG.
I am sure it has been discussed there.

It has been this way for as long as I can remember- at least back as far as Logic 5, when I was a beta-tester.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow, I was having a really crappy day until now. Logic 8 has me pumped! Can't believe the price.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

PT is actually using 56bit precision.

24 bit int running at double precision = 48 bit with an 8 bit mantissa.

32 bit float uses 24 bits for the audio and has an 8 bit mantissa.

Pro-Cons are varied... Precision and rounding errors being the main arguments.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

any guesses what the Academic price might be?

it was $299 when Logic 7 full was $999....

$150? me thinks not.....

and - i read the .pdf about new features.... and saw no mention about the new hardware inert compensation..... looks promising tho! I'll believe it when I see it in action...

Old 12th September 2007
I've called a few local apple stores and they don't know when they are getting it.

I'm ready to buy it!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I've called a few local apple stores and they don't know when they are getting it.

I'm ready to buy it!
I'm sure a LOT of other people are as well!

I might wait for Logic 8.01

heh
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
too bad it doesnt mimic Ableton Live/cubase more, i would love to see the ability to drop loops/audio files directly into the arrange page and instantly match master tempo and if the need arises tweak to excellence. the apple loops/utility is too slow/clunky. OR is this possible?
It was already possible in lp7 to drop the loops to the arrange window and have them match the tempo.

Now it's possible to timestretch in the arrange window.

Last edited by yoink; 12th September 2007 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Rounding Errors

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search