The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
welcome to GS where products are announced , reviewed , dissed and panned before it even hits the streets.

What do the dissenters want? Blood?

If you dont use/like Logic then nothing is going to make you like it now.

Same for PT/Nuendo/Cubase etc.

Lets face facts.

nothing is ever perfect , software will always have flaws/bugs

users will always moan/bitch/whine.

Either get used to being let down or take up a different hobby/job

The world is far from perfect get over it.

I use both logic and PT and have been happily making and releasing music using these flawed applications for 10 years.

work around the flaws and make some music instead of constantly whining about how things could be better.

I truly dont understand this attitude displayed towards products from people around here.

If you dont like it , dont use it! simple , be it logic or otherwise. I dont like McDonalds but do I stand outside the local one telling people how much it sucks? No.. I dont I get on with my life and leave those that choose to shop there to do so in peace and quiet!

So much dam negativity on forums like this.

</rant>

G

thumbsup
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen View Post
Does anyone know if apple is allowing upgrades from Logic Pro 7 academic users?
Apple doesn't allow upgrades from Academic software. Because it was acquired at less than half the price of the same "retail" software. If you're still in school you can buy the academic Logic Studio (when available) for the same as the upgrade price.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac
Oh please, let it have 10bit Faders....
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

GREAT NEWS !!!

looks really cool, like they finally adressed the few important things!

have you seen: "waveform zooming for low-level takes!" ....yeah !!!!!!

my hopes:
the (nuendo-)ping-feature for REAL latency correction works with the I/O plugin now ??

complete code overhaul....it has to run baby-smooooooth on a MacPro, fast and without hiccups!!!

the best thing (and my biggest issue with LogicPro7 !!!) I just read somewhere on the apple site:

"pre, post & post-pan sends...."

does that mean finally STEREO-sends......that would be THE SH*T !!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

finally..heh
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
erm, see here:

Frontier Design Group
why not just by an apple wireless keyboard? at $80, isn't it cheaper anyway?

if you have an older G5 (pre-remote control) but have the remote controller from a laptop, as i do, how can you use it with the G5 for logic, or is this not possible? do i need to set up an isight camera on my G5 to receive the remote signal, for instance?

v
Old 12th September 2007
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Does that mean I can still utilise my 2 screen set up and have the mixer on a seperate screen from my arrange page?....

Please let it be so.
they probably have some "legacy view" mode, like they did in the previous aesthetic upgrade, where you could still have it look like 4 if you wanted it to.

after just having spent an eternity creating a huge audio inputs environment page (to replace the mixer i sold and replaced with a bunch of motu stuff), i'm thrilled to see that the new version appears to do this sort of object creation automatically/on the fly. now, if 8 had only come out a couple of months ago...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, reading through the manual, looks like they really listened to the users regarding the Environment.. its still there for all of the cool midi routing (which I love), but its not neccessary to use for a lot of the audio tasks that always had new users chasing their tails..

From the manual:

"It is not essential to know about - or even open - the Environment window in order to make music with the instruments of Logic Pro or your external MIDI sound generators and keyboards.

When you create new instrument or external MIDI tracks, Logic Pro automatically generates Mixer channels, and will also create and configure any Environment objects that are needed for basic input and output."

So they did what I hoped they would all along.. keep the power, flexibility, and customizibility that make Logic unique and powerful.. while making mundane tasks (like setting up a multi channel / multi timberal VI) much easier to do.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Does that mean I can still utilise my 2 screen set up and have the mixer on a seperate screen from my arrange page?....

Please let it be so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
they probably have some "legacy view" mode, like they did in the previous aesthetic upgrade, where you could still have it look like 4 if you wanted it to.
Ok I can answer my question now:

"You can continue to open windows independently, and use screensets as you did in earlier Logic versions (although you can now name them). The new Arrange window facilities, however, are likely to change your approach.
Note: The screensets of projects created in Logic Pro 7 will be “adapted” to take advantage of the new interface features."

Pheeeewww!

What with the massive amount of great new features...

I AM HAPPY!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac
The manuals says the 0db Fader position is equal to "90" which possibly means they just stick to the 127steps Fader. that so sad. Whos supposed to mix something big with that... Thats sad :(
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I thought the boy was crying wolf but I was just made very, very, very wrong.

How many of you have ordered this already?
Old 12th September 2007
Mindreader

"When you create new instrument or external MIDI tracks, Logic Pro automatically generates Mixer channels, and will also create and configure any Environment objects that are needed for basic input and output."

Hallle-flippin-lulueahaahahaha

They really have managed to pull away from years of environment led nightmares

Well, I hope, won't know for sure till I get my hands on it

And I too would love to have the proper stereo sends thing - never understood the point of sitting there with space designer sending it mono signals the whole time - talk about defeating the object
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbluness View Post
Oh please, let it have 10bit Faders....
and a 64 bit summing bus! (I hope we aren´t expecting too much for those bucks but they sold me a 64 bit machine and one year later I´m still waiting for the proper summing bus)
Old 12th September 2007
Not a Logic user (not even a Mac guy) but a longtime Logic thread lurker...

It looks like the addressed most of the major issues that had guys like me scratching their heads in the past... the multi-take recording, easy comping, and hugely simplified interface should (if all goes well) eliminate a lot of the complaints of folks who use DAWs that have had those features for some time.

And the price may just make it the best deal out there -- I believe it's now the lowest priced full-version major DAW. (I'm guessing guys who paid 1000 clams for Logic Pro 7 in July are not 100% thrilled, though.)

I think you guys have every right to be excited. Looks great!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
And the price may just make it the best deal out there -- I believe it's now the lowest priced full-version major DAW. (I'm guessing guys who paid 1000 clams for Logic Pro 7 in July are not 100% thrilled, though.)
Waaaah is what I say, with sarcasm.

It doesn't bother me. I got my dongle used for $500, so perhaps I can't say this... so feel free to flame me. However, if I had paid $1000 it wouldn't bother me. (and I have paid serious $$ for other software in the past, and I would feel the same way if they released a later version for half the price...)

If this update is as good as it seems, and for the price it gets more users (and therefore more support and even more of a community) the money was well spent. I don't mind. The upgrade price is reasonable.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

So, What about session compatability with Logic Pro 7 songs.

Also, Will this require updates from 3rd party plugin providers?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow Finally!!!!
I'm so excited! so how much does the upgrade cost from Pro 7.2???
I'm gonna get the Logic Studio and Apogee Duet! Apple+Apogee rules! heh
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
Wow Finally!!!!
I'm so excited! so how much does the upgrade cost from Pro 7.2???
I'm gonna get the Logic Studio and Apogee Duet! Apple+Apogee rules! heh
$199 US / $199 Canadian

And it looks like they're pulling out all the stops, allowing Logic Gold 5 / Platinum 5 users upgrade as well so we're talking 4 paid upgrades (if you include the 7.2 intel crossgrade) back being allowed to update. Very nice. Let's hope that this software isn't as buggy as Soundtrack Pro 2 (and hopefully as a result we'll see a Soundtrack Pro 2 update - which if you've worked with it at all recently is barely beta-grade software - it can't even export projects properly yet.)
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
If you're still in school you can buy the academic Logic Studio (when available) for the same as the upgrade price.
Do you have this on good authority or just an educated guess? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like bye bye PT for mee. I will just wait to see what else will be releases untill / on the AES show and if there will be no decent update to PT LE (PDC, track and bus counts,etc) i will thrash the whole thing in a minute. Infact I will thrash it anyway. I was waiting with the upgrade to the new mac pros because of the PCI/PCIe things (have to sell the 2 UAD cards now) but now logic 8 + mac pro + rme fireface seems the go-to route for me. as my mixes and projects are getting more complex the track count limitation, manualy inserting the UAD delay comp plugins along with no track freeze function it really slows me down as I need to concentrate on different things than just simply making music.

So it seems 99% that I am replacing the whole PT setup (002r +command8), - simply the 2.66 mac pro, 1/2 UAD PCIe cards (just because I love the plugs, DSP with the power of macs has become irelevant) and will get a MCU pro insted of the coomand8

you
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Angry

Being stuck with 7 bit faders (& 32 bit summing?) is sort of a bummer! Its one of the most important things for a DAW since you cant change them by using external plugs (and one of the easiest things to change for the code writers). Who cares for 120 plugins if those essential basics are that weak?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
$199 US / $199 Canadian
That's fair enough! Thanks!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK people who mix OTB may not care about logics summing capabilities
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen B. View Post
Do you have this on good authority or just an educated guess? Inquiring minds want to know.
Well the good authority is my own as it has typically been Apple's pricing strategy for Academic Products. The price might be a little more or a little less than the retail upgrade but it will always be in the same ball park.

The idea being that when you buy the full version at retail the intial investment is offset when you "stick with the ship" and upgrade down the road. Additionally, if one was being honest and using Logic to make money, one would buy the non-academic version (not trying at all to point fingers - based on my past I would be the first to get crucified).

The current buy-in cost for Logic Studio retail is about what they were charging for Academic LP7 so it's really a no brainer I think.

Since I love conspiracy theories here a good one. Logic Pro 7 has been around a long long time. And plenty of people have academic copies. At this price point, Apple can commit a much larger number of users to the retail stream who might have been tempted to "cheap it" with another educational copy of Logic Studio. All sorts of university students who've been in the Logic Pro 7 academic stream for years can now move into the more lucrative retail stream.

By offering them such a low initial buy-in, and all the benefits of the retail package (which is exclusively limited to support, upgrades and the ability to use the software commercially) they are driving a stake into the current non-PT HD DAW market pricing structure and setup.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

high resolution faders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbluness View Post
The manuals says the 0db Fader position is equal to "90" which possibly means they just stick to the 127steps Fader. that so sad. Whos supposed to mix something big with that... Thats sad :(
Logic's internal resolution for faders is much higher than what you see in the UI. I know, for example, that when I use the Logic Control, I get 1024 volume levels. Same thing goes for automation, its very high resolution.

The old "MIDI" value system 0-127, is there to provide compatibility with using 7 bit controller input in the environment.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
OK people who mix OTB may not care about logics summing capabilities
I mix in-the-box and have never had trouble with Logic's summing capabilities, and while an eventual move to outside-the-box summing is underway, it really is more of an "I want to" thing than "I feel I have to thing."
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Being stuck with 7 bit faders (& 32 bit summing?) is sort of a bummer! Its one of the most important things for a DAW since you cant change them by using external plugs (and one of the easiest things to change for the code writers). Who cares for 120 plugins if those essential basics are that weak?
I'm happy to say your assumptions are not entirely correct. And also, what's wrong with 32bit summing? That's insanely high resolution, especially compared to ProTools 24bit fixed.

Anyhow, Logic sounds amazing. In fact, I'd say it sounds as good or better than everything else on the market.
Old 12th September 2007
Deleted User
My wifes not gonna like this anouncement
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Alright, I just ordered the upgrade. There's enough new stuff to warrant trying it out. I've been on the fence about dumping Logic for sequencing duties and making the move to all ProTools. If Structure did a better job reading my big EXS library, I probably would.

Actually, the biggest thing I can use in PT that I wish I could in Logic is Velvet. Velvet smokes EVP88.

Fingers crossed it all works as it claims. I've been pulling my hair out this week fighting the automation in Logic 7....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search