The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 20th September 2007
  #691
Gear Addict
 
Orren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
its gonna really fly on an intel with leopard
It's rather smooth and high performance right now on my Mac Pro running Tiger!

Orren
Old 20th September 2007
  #692
Gear Addict
 

Logic just arrived..and I've just boosted the macbook to 2 gigs.

Now to crack open the cellophane.....

I'm excited and yet feeling trepidation and anxiety by the enormity of the application and the manual...

As far as bugs, lets see if the software updater will be popping open soon.
Old 20th September 2007
  #693
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 View Post
I have a question too for anyone who already bought it.. whats the deal with installing it on your desktop and also on your lappy? is it possible? cos that'd be sweet!
You can legally install it on both machines.
Old 20th September 2007
  #694
Gear Nut
 

All I ever wanted for $499.- -- fantastic!! It's a greatly improved version of Logic, something I was waiting for years.
Old 20th September 2007
  #695
Gear Maniac
 

I've got the box, but I'm not installing it. Too many bugs (especially when it concerns files being corrupted) being reported over at other Logic forums. Version 8.1 for me.
Old 20th September 2007
  #696
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muso View Post
I've got the box, but I'm not installing it. Too many bugs (especially when it concerns files being corrupted) being reported over at other Logic forums. Version 8.1 for me.
??? Have yet to hear about this. Links please..
Anyway, no issues here. Works a treat.
Old 20th September 2007
  #697
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
??? Have yet to hear about this. Links please..
Anyway, no issues here. Works a treat.

Same here. Been using it all week. Got two new songs up no crashes. Opened up projects from my previous LP 7.2 install, no problem.

Even dug up some old LAP 5.5 Windows projects... no problem

Not a single Logic crash yet.

While I'm no Apple fanboy, it's nice to see a x.0 release that's not buggy as all hell. (can't say the same about STP 2.0 or 2.0.1 Apple - get on the ball!)

As always, YMWV
Old 20th September 2007
  #699
Gear Nut
 
Blatboy's Avatar
 

Unhappy

Ooof. I got my first hum dinger crash today. When it crashed, it did the usual "this has been saved as "FILENAME (crashed).logic" Unfortunately when I tried to open the newly created file, it was damaged or something and crashed logic every time.

Due to a lapse in saving (bad me!) I lost an hour and a half of work, and then had to spend another hour redoing what I had done before.

I wish there was an autosave function, but I just need to keep that command-s thing happening (as my good friend Mr. Robbins says) as a "nervous tick."

As long as I keep saving, it's not a horrendous thing, but I gotta keep me wits about me!
Old 20th September 2007
  #700
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
I'm an active member of both those boards (same nick). No problems worth delaying install for... if your system is clean and up to date, there should be no real issues... for most (and remember that people NOT having problems aren't really posting that much) there are far fewer issues than LP7 :D

And the amount of fake, half-assed *bug* posts is increased artificially since everyone installed at once - a significant number of whom are switchers or first time users.

Don't believe everything you read. Not even this post.
Old 21st September 2007
  #701
Gear Head
 

I was so looking forward to logic pro 8, i thought perhaps i can avoid shelling out for PTHD for a little while longer.

Personally i feel lp8 is a step back from 7.2, superficially it looks a little cleaner, is a little more ergonomic on some things but there are a lot of things that are bugging me even after just one day of use.

things i like;
Imput monitoring on the tracks is a good thing.
being able to pull up matrix editor or whatver the hell it's called now as a tab.
dual channel strips.
audio editing (whilst i still don't think it's brilliant it is certainly better than lp7)

Things i don't like.
It crashed on me first time i launched it, i started a new project and it just died!
second crash about 2 hours later didn't overly impress me either.
left and right button functionality on the arrange window, either im being incredibly dumb (most likely) or the right mouse button doesn't activate the tool assigned to it.

The inability to move inserts down on the channel strips (say i had a comp and an eq, i used to be able to just hold option or ctrl, i can't remember which and move them, so i could place one before the other etc) this doesn't appear to work.

The whole look of the plugins (this is mostly superficial, but i hate what they have done with multipressor)

I have a sort of love hate relationship with the channel strip settings, why is it not possible to save aux values with the CS setting? totally barmy.

On that note, not being able to duplicate inserts via right mouse-option, so now if i want the same plug on another track i have to save the settings, load the plug on another strip and then load the settings, small bug i know but why was this left out?

lol sorry this has been a bit of rant, i'm just a little worried that i seem to have "upgraded" to garageband pro, you know i almost miss 7.2 lol
Old 21st September 2007
  #702
Gear Maniac
 

I think your experience is pretty unusual from most of the posts on those two sites that I've seen.

My install went without a hitch - just make sure you've got the 43GB of disk space available or do the Jam Pak installs separately - and put them on a different drive.

The only crashes I've had are during the initial au validation check on some waves plugins that are supposed to be just for protools v7, and a 2nd crash when I tried to change my RMX configuration from single instrument to multi-instrument. Spectrasonics has since updated this plugin to fix some compatibility issues.

It hasn't crashed in several days of "normal" music-making though. If you listed your system specs, that might give us a clue as to what's going on.
Old 21st September 2007
  #703
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwilliam View Post
I think your experience is pretty unusual from most of the posts on those two sites that I've seen.

My install went without a hitch - just make sure you've got the 43GB of disk space available or do the Jam Pak installs separately - and put them on a different drive.

The only crashes I've had are during the initial au validation check on some waves plugins that are supposed to be just for protools v7, and a 2nd crash when I tried to change my RMX configuration from single instrument to multi-instrument. Spectrasonics has since updated this plugin to fix some compatibility issues.

It hasn't crashed in several days of "normal" music-making though. If you listed your system specs, that might give us a clue as to what's going on.
the odd crash doesn't really bother me if im honest, i save on a very regular basis, the only things that are really peeing me off at the moment are those observations mentioned in my first post, it just seems in many ways logic has taken a step back in terms of function.

I was also hoping that automation would be a little bit better, think protools automation.

Im sure i'll get used to it, and perhaps some of these missing features will be fixed next update.

Overall i do like the new logic, i just think there have been a few things which feel very rushed, and considering how belated this release has been it should have been more complete than this.
Old 21st September 2007
  #704
JPZ
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
I
The inability to move inserts down on the channel strips (say i had a comp and an eq, i used to be able to just hold option or ctrl, i can't remember which and move them, so i could place one before the other etc) this doesn't appear to work.
lol
Are you drinking? This still works. Use command.
Old 21st September 2007
  #705
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
The whole look of the plugins (this is mostly superficial, but i hate what they have done with multipressor)
The multipressor looks and feels a lot like C4 to me. Much more intuitive. But that's personal opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
On that note, not being able to duplicate inserts via right mouse-option, so now if i want the same plug on another track i have to save the settings, load the plug on another strip and then load the settings, small bug i know but why was this left out?
Come on! You could do this in previous versions and it works the same in 8. Option + Cmd + Click = copy
option + Click = bypass
Old 21st September 2007
  #706
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatboy View Post
damned apple marketing is working on me.

I do love the new layout too.

BUT IT MAKES ME WANT A 30" DISPLAY!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
Logic 8 is gorgeous on my 30" Cinema. The consolidated windows don't seem as constricting as DP did. Now I'm geekin' for an Intel tower to replace my dual 2.5ghz G5. I feel your pain!!!

D
Old 21st September 2007
  #707
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
I had a quick look and couldn't find any major issues, but maybe some people are having some.

The fact is, if all is going well, people don't post on those forums and many people do things WRONG when installing. They don't clean their drive first. They have bad (er or copied) plug ins, their system is below minimum spec etc etc. I would very much expect a new product to have WAY more bugs than I have seen on L8.

Like I say, I am certain I will see some issues but until now, nothing. (soundtrack pro crashed on quit but I only have 1 gig ram and will be putting 2gig in to see if that is my issue)
Old 21st September 2007
  #708
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Logic 8 is gorgeous on my 30" Cinema. The consolidated windows don't seem as constricting as DP did. Now I'm geekin' for an Intel tower to replace my dual 2.5ghz G5. I feel your pain!!!

D
I agree, I have LP8 installed on my Mac Pro with a 30" display and its fantastic. However, I also have it installed on my MacBook Pro with a 15" display and don't really find it that much more difficult to work with. The new interface seems to work well with any size display of 15" or more as long as they support high resolution in my opinion.

Also, my experience with Logic Studio 8 has been very positive thus far. It was very easy to install, found all my hardware without any problems, appears to be extremely CPU efficient, the graphics are very smooth (even with projects with very high CPU demands) and I just love all the plugins and added programs. I have decided to make the move to Logic from Cubase 4 permanent.

To sum it up, all I can say is Logic Studio is in my opinion the best value that I have ever received from an audio software company in the 10 years since I made the move to digital from tape.

Dave
Old 21st September 2007
  #709
Lives for gear
 
csiking's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
welcome to GS where products are announced , reviewed , dissed and panned before it even hits the streets.

What do the dissenters want? Blood?

If you dont use/like Logic then nothing is going to make you like it now.

Same for PT/Nuendo/Cubase etc.

Lets face facts.

nothing is ever perfect , software will always have flaws/bugs

users will always moan/bitch/whine.

Either get used to being let down or take up a different hobby/job

The world is far from perfect get over it.

I use both logic and PT and have been happily making and releasing music using these flawed applications for 10 years.

work around the flaws and make some music instead of constantly whining about how things could be better.


I truly dont understand this attitude displayed towards products from people around here.

If you dont like it , dont use it! simple , be it logic or otherwise. I dont like McDonalds but do I stand outside the local one telling people how much it sucks? No.. I dont I get on with my life and leave those that choose to shop there to do so in peace and quiet!

So much dam negativity on forums like this.

</rant>

G
Wow dude I sense a bit of pent up frustration. Seems we may be seeing you on the national news soon...'Dude on top of roof with high powered rifle and pants around his ankles...news at 11.'

What you say is true but wow what a trip!
Old 21st September 2007
  #710
Lives for gear
 
csiking's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
I'm going to see what I can do about having Steve Jobs' baby.

OMG LMAO TWICE!!!! Thank you.
Old 22nd September 2007
  #711
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
AxuaLLy it WasnT thaT muCh aT aLL MORON paPER mADE Man. ThE wHo0le poiNt if U didNt geT it is Why host a LogiC 7 101 CoURSE WHEn THe ClaSS IS goINg 2 b INvAlID 2 wEEx LATeR? ISs THaT cLEAr 2 u PAPeR MaDE pLASTikk mannnn!!!
Is there some kind of decoder ring you can download to read this?
Old 24th September 2007
  #712
Lives for gear
 
7161's Avatar
 

I think what is interesting from a teacher's point of view is that as far as i could see from a 1 hour 'fiddle' with it is that apple have decided to make it dumb-easy to make music but retained all the depth. I bet in the Apple planning meetings it was like "Ok guys we're gonna make this app' as easy as garageband to just start making music"

from what I could see from my demo of it i'd find it easier with logic 8 to get a typical 'no experience' secondary school kid up and making a tune on Logic 8 than on say Cubase SE.. much less steps to get working, no endless popping up windows, no need to go into mixer, pretty simple stuff, almost AS simple as using Cubasis with a GM keyboard... select a track, select a sound, play/record, simple!

In a typical music class you just want the student to be able to select a sound and start to play/record it, and in that respect Logic 8 is easy-peasy.


and yes to the guy who asked, I was talking GB Pounds not US Pesos - and for gods sake, dont buy extra ram from apple, the price is rediculous, get it from Crucial direct or whatever and anyways, i come from hardware sampler days so even 1gb ram is alot for me. I'm not one of those people who loads an 8 octave strings sample patch to play a small one-octave part up between C5 and C6 with 7 octaves of samples loaded & doing nothing, lol

people need to utilise their sample ram better.
Old 24th September 2007
  #713
TTB
Registered User
 

Is Logic Open Source??
Old 24th September 2007
  #714
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post
Is Logic Open Source??
Not to be rude, but you're joking right?
Old 25th September 2007
  #715
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
I'm an active member of both those boards (same nick). No problems worth delaying install for... if your system is clean and up to date, there should be no real issues... for most (and remember that people NOT having problems aren't really posting that much) there are far fewer issues than LP7 :D

And the amount of fake, half-assed *bug* posts is increased artificially since everyone installed at once - a significant number of whom are switchers or first time users.

Don't believe everything you read. Not even this post.
I thought I'd respond to this as we've now installed Logic 8. It crashed four times during validation but that's the fault primarily of TC.

We are unable to load two previous arrangements (7.2.3) (it just crashes) so it's back to 7 for us. We did load one heavy arrangement, and though it's pleasing to see 8 cores registered instead of 4 its having more sync issues (midi / audio) than the previous version (although it seems to attempt to fix itself before landing back in trouble again).
Old 25th September 2007
  #716
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muso View Post
I thought I'd respond to this as we've now installed Logic 8. It crashed four times during validation but that's the fault primarily of TC.

We are unable to load two previous arrangements (7.2.3) (it just crashes) so it's back to 7 for us. We did load one heavy arrangement, and though it's pleasing to see 8 cores registered instead of 4 its having more sync issues (midi / audio) than the previous version (although it seems to attempt to fix itself before landing back in trouble again).
Did you repair permissions and run a system maintenance utility (such as the excellent and free Onyx) before and after install?

Also are you on PPC or Intel? Our machines are all Intel.
Old 26th September 2007
  #717
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
Did you repair permissions and run a system maintenance utility (such as the excellent and free Onyx) before and after install?

Also are you on PPC or Intel? Our machines are all Intel.
We're running an 8-Core Intel Mac Pro with 9GB RAM. Permissions are fine and the issue is with Logic (and possibly some 1/3rd party plugs).
Old 27th September 2007
  #718
Gear Addict
 

After reading all the posts, i finally was able to play with L8 last night firstime. Also attended the first L8 class at Apple SF. Off-course it was a very brief skim-through intro of 1 hour by a gentleman who has been using Logic for 16 years. I look forward to working with this when Leopard comes out. Yeah, the plugs are really really good. Its only gonna get better.
Old 15th October 2007
  #719
Logic 8 looks like real great and fantastic value - wow, all of those apps and media for only $499? I'm getting one!
Old 17th October 2007
  #720
Gear Head
 
b_stone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
I was so looking forward to logic pro 8, i thought perhaps i can avoid shelling out for PTHD for a little while longer.

Personally i feel lp8 is a step back from 7.2, superficially it looks a little cleaner, is a little more ergonomic on some things but there are a lot of things that are bugging me even after just one day of use.

things i like;
Imput monitoring on the tracks is a good thing.
being able to pull up matrix editor or whatver the hell it's called now as a tab.
dual channel strips.
audio editing (whilst i still don't think it's brilliant it is certainly better than lp7)

Things i don't like.
It crashed on me first time i launched it, i started a new project and it just died!
second crash about 2 hours later didn't overly impress me either.
left and right button functionality on the arrange window, either im being incredibly dumb (most likely) or the right mouse button doesn't activate the tool assigned to it.

The inability to move inserts down on the channel strips (say i had a comp and an eq, i used to be able to just hold option or ctrl, i can't remember which and move them, so i could place one before the other etc) this doesn't appear to work.

The whole look of the plugins (this is mostly superficial, but i hate what they have done with multipressor)

I have a sort of love hate relationship with the channel strip settings, why is it not possible to save aux values with the CS setting? totally barmy.

On that note, not being able to duplicate inserts via right mouse-option, so now if i want the same plug on another track i have to save the settings, load the plug on another strip and then load the settings, small bug i know but why was this left out?

lol sorry this has been a bit of rant, i'm just a little worried that i seem to have "upgraded" to garageband pro, you know i almost miss 7.2 lol
Alright, on the surface, this looks alarming, but honestly, this is just your inexperience with the app. How could you know there is a preference for right click behavior if you've never looked for one or read the manual? You have a number of choices here, 'a selected tool', 'shortcut menu' or 'tool palette'.

You can save Aux channel strip settings and Logic even comes with hundreds of settings including basic effects, multi-effects, group processing (for drums, vocals etc). Aux channel strip settings even change depending on the input of the aux. So, if the input is ReWire, the aux channel strip settings are the same as track settings, which is really smart. Make sure you click on the settings popup menu at the very top of the channel.

As already mention, since version 6, you've been able to to hold the command key (or right click in LP8) to move the plug-ins between inserts. Even between inserts on different channels! You can even command+option to copy plug-ins and their settings between channels.

While I think Multipressor's new UI is a welcome improvement, I don't think its the best I've seen, but its great sounding and much easier to use than before, so..

The reskinning that other plug-ins received in this release is great. I think the new look is much better than the previous designs; makes them look more modern and better matches the style of this release.

As for crashes.. I can't really explain that since you haven't provided any hints as to what your configuration is or what 3rd party plug-ins you are running. Who can say what's wrong, but I would say your instability is an isolated case since I've read literally hundreds of posts by people who are astonished at how stable this is for a 'dot-0" release. Frankly, I've found lots of little problems, but only seen one crash, which I must admit is impressive, even compared to Logic Pro 7.2.3.

You might really enjoy reading the documentation, its all rewritten and quite well organized.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump